Syrup & Honey - A tactical discussion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lam:

Cleon,

You know that you did not post a screen shot of your team tactics?

You make reference in your last post to this informaiton being found in the screen shots.

Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The team instructions are all default as I've used all individual settings instead. Things like tempo. d-line and time wasting, can be changed game by game. So setting them for me is not a universal thing, more a tweak done on a game by game basis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its down to you to decide, it doesnt matter too much as everyones individual set.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleon,

I think it makes a major difference, which is surprising.

I have just tried to emulate what you posted. I set the following: Tempo, Width and D-line to highest Normal and i am now linking with my striker and my wingers are now doing what they need to do.

As you know, i just couldnt connect with them all previously.

I have not braved the Timewasting slider yet as i am really not sure on how to use that in open play.

I was doing well with my old tactic, but i am now on a 23 unbeaten match run of which 17 games are using this tactic.

Works a treat and i love it. My only complaint ( and this is a very small one) is that i rarely get over 50% possession. Its just one of those things that you have to accept i guess.

ONce i get more familiar with the formation and tactic then ill play around with it a little more.

Its funny you talking about Man Utd as i rarely have a problem winning against them (not tried with this tactic... its my next game), but i always struggle against Arsenal.

Lee

Just took a hiding from Man U.

2 - nil down in the first 12 mins. Then pulled D-line back to middle, hit counter. conceded another just before half time.

Gave the team a ballache half time chat, then came out and got a goal back and played better than them and ended up with more shots and shots on taget.

Oh well..... i know for next time.....

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Brilliant in my first game.

I am Newcastle United, first season.

Keeps the ball well, (I play narrow, shortish passing, slowish tempo) Martins coming in from the right, Owen from the Left and Kissling in the center.

I have both "wingers" set up as strikers, one defensive minded-ish MC the other an attacking MC (Van Der Vaart)

Both my fullbacks got forward well, habib set to forward runs and crossing often, Enrique with both to mixed.

Naldo is my "sweeper" CB, Zonal marking, Taylor and Faye man mark.

Works well, just had 24 shots, 55% possession to their 2 shots.

The attacking CM (VDV) needs some work but it worked well so far. Thankyou Cleon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you liked how it played in the game icon_smile.gif The attacking MC is more of an assist guy on my game. He scores a few too but its mainly his through balls what are killers. Someone like VD could be devastating this way icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried it with Newcastle too and it's going great so far, improved the wingback and right winger positions.

First game won 4-1 away at Birmingham and we missed two penalties in the first fifteen minutes icon_smile.gif Dominated posession and pass % in that game.

Second game lost 4-3 away at Chelsea having led twice, they dominated us but I was happy to score three away at a much stronger side.

Third game won 2-0 at home to Bolton, they edged percentage and pass % (47-53 and 68-73 I think) but the attacking play we produced was superb.

Fourth and final game so far, an easy 3-0 win at home to Leeds in the League Cup, played them off the park totally icon_smile.gif

The thing about this formation and general style is it finally replicated the sort of football I want to see my team playing, plenty of runs and crosses from the wingers, the striker shooting intelligently, wingbacks getting forward when they can but getting back to support the defence when needed - great icon_smile.gif

I would say to anyone, as Cleon already has, make sure you tweak the instructions according to which wingback is better at getting forward, which midfielder is more attacking etc.

An annoying point, though not tactic related, is that the chairman insisted on accepting a 15 million Euro offer for Obafemi Martins from Man City after the first two league games. Martins had scored a hattrick in both games so I was not best pleased, especially with injury-prone Owen and Mark 'the galloping bricklayer' Viduka as backup icon_smile.gif

Justice (of a sort) was duly served though when Martins broke his ankle in his first game for City and is now out for three months icon_wink.gif

A couple of questions if you don't mind Cleon, did you sell Sharp because you thought he wasn't good enough for the EPL (Below standard first touch and technique), or did you get an offer?

I ask because Sharp has scored stupid amounts of goals in the prem for me before but I've never had a single offer come in icon_confused.gif

Also I take it you've signed a more all round player who can head the ball for sharps replacement?

and...

Looking at your squad, Diego Valeri is clearly your left winger, but did you have to load up any extra leagues for him to show up, as he isn't in my database? It's large btw.

thanks.

TwoShedsJackson - Glad its working and you like it icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A couple of questions if you don't mind Cleon, did you sell Sharp because you thought he wasn't good enough for the EPL (Below standard first touch and technique), or did you get an offer?

I ask because Sharp has scored stupid amounts of goals in the prem for me before but I've never had a single offer come in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got an offer of £4million + clauses so took it. The replacement is a regen and is only 19. But he will develop a lot better than Sharp if I give him games.

As for Valeri hes on large db on all my games with just English leagues loaded icon_smile.gif

Some progress so far:

General Observations

- Defensively very sound against most formations, the only trouble I have had is against teams which pack the midfield (Manure) and quality players (Adebeyor!)

- Man marking with 1 "sweeper" works well against 2 up top.

-Deep defensive line, low tempo do not work so well for me in this tactic

-Direct play with normal to high tempo is working much better

- I added a forward arrow on VDV and he is getting involved much more in the play, with some good performances

Results with the tactic

2-0 Bolton (A)

1-1 Spuds (A)

1-2 Manure (A) - Had 28 shots, owen had a stinker

1-0 Birmingham (H)

4-2 Liverpool (A)

2-0 Blackburn (H)

2.0 West Ham (H)

General issues

- My left sided player is pathetic, Martins, Owen, Nzogbia, Milner: all play pathetically, going to tweak their instructions..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Deep defensive line, low tempo do not work so well for me in this tactic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope because the empthasis is on attack icon_smile.gif

Not bad results your having though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Brilliant!

Altered my left sided player so he is now more of a winger and two goals in the last three are from this position.

One other plus, this nullifies the 4-2-4 tremendously well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you've sorted it icon_smile.gif

I dont struggle with any shape against me really. I only have trouble with Man Utd, but thats more down to them being my bogey team on FM this year. Last year it was Arsenal for me icon_biggrin.gif

Theres always one team every year(real year not game time) I struggle against.

Cleon,

I am still playing well with this. However, i am having problems against the big teams. Just lost 4-0 to Valencia.

I think i am going in to attacking. So i wll need to pull that back a bit.

Out of interest, is your default setup what you alluded to previously? Team setttings (Width, tempo, CD and TW) all on highest normal (exepct TW)?

Lee

All team settings are high normal, except for tempo and d-line. They are tweaked on a game by game basis depending on what I want from a game. Most team settings dont matter as indivudual ones are set, so they override anyways.

Most things though like tempo, width and d-line need to be tweaked by you, from what you see happening in your own games.

If youre struggeling against the big teams, and they overload the midfield, do what i did: Make the middle DC a DMC.(mentality and cd last notch of def and own area), and ttb mixed.

marking loose zonal.

Really made a difference for me, and my west ham side have been undefeated in the last 20 league games after i made this tweak.

And also notice, i dont use a barrow for him, as i dont want the opposition breaking thruh(?) my midfield so easylly, wich i thought was a bit of an obvois problem with this shape.

I know Cleon is not interssted in changing his shape (but the holding DMC is so effective :p), but for those who struggle a bit it might be worth a try.

And for Team instructions, the only thing i really change is DL. Varies from last notch of normal, middle normal, and first of deep (and CA ticket). the others are left default exept tempo (last notch of normal). Witdh is nearly always narrow, as this shape is quite narrow when attacking. Of course this can change during the course of the game.

Interesting setup Alexio. I have Bodmer as my central DC, i wanted someone that could play the ball out of defence, but his extra talents do not lend themselves well to this formation. Howeever, i used to play him with an attacking mentality which made him the first line of defence, but i changed it back as i had problems with other players and i reverted to Cleons default setup. I will change him back in a big game and then try him as DM in another to see what happens.

My standard setup for this is highest normal on all bar TW which is the reverse - lowest normal.

It does seem to be alittle sensative to the 442 long farrow formation. but i guess i have to get used to the tactics first.

Typical really.... i had just got a 442 working well for me. I should stick with it really, but this formation gives me what i like. goal scoring wingers, fullbacks and 3 DC's. i love that set up!!!

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It does seem to be alittle sensative to the 442 long farrow formation. but i guess i have to get used to the tactics first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think? Whats the positioning stat like on your fullbacks and what mentality they normally use?

Cleon,

Both my FB's have 15 positioning. I play with the exact setup you have posted. Like yours, my right side is slightly more attacking than the left.

I am not sure that the issue is with the wing. I just seem to get overloaded. Infact, thats how most of the goals i concede are scored, when there seem to be just about every player on the pitch is in my box. Either that or the out of the blue longshot, but to be fair they are normaly screamers and have me clapping my hands, so i guess those are acceptable.

I am continually re-readin your post and have noticed something that i missed. I rarely change the mentality of any players during a game, but especialy so with the left MC. I rarely change it before a game, so he is quite attacking therefore leaving little room for defence, so i will tweak this a little more towards the middle and see what happens.

I think where i am struggling is that as i have only just got to grips with the game, i still do not know 'what to look for', ie when to drop that D-line, or when to narrow the defence or when to pick up the temp etc etc.

The above added to a new formation for me, leaves me feeling a little out of control. I just gota get used to it and play around with it a little more. The season is close to an end and its between 5 teams for 3rd spot and i can not afford to be messsing with anything at present icon_eek.gif

By as my previous post says, i love this formation as it gives me what i have always loved.

Lee

League cup rd3- Wolves v Chelsea (5th in ccc) v (1st in EPL)

I gave chelsea footballing lesson, eastwood bagged a hat trick, missed a penalty and hit the post twice, this against a chelsea team fielding cech, terry, carvalho, VDV, modric, joe cole etc!!

5 won in a row now, 2 conceded! Genius

8O)

Definately an attacking formation.

I just played Liverpool in the FA caup final. half time i was 2-0 down. they had 13 shots, 8 on target. Possession was 65-35 in their favour. passing completion 79-45 in their favour.

I change to team ment on FB' and midfield, wing, fc to mid high attacking.

i won 3-2, they have another 7 shots but only one on target. i had 11 shots with 7 on target.

Cleon - in relation to your bogie team, have you cranked it up and simply taken the game to them? Its the only way i can beat arsenal !

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cleon - in relation to your bogie team, have you cranked it up and simply taken the game to them? Its the only way i can beat arsenal ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye id like to, but I just dont have the players for that yet. Id probably loose 7-0 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smoothiebaloo:

One *quick* question before I spend my time reading all the threads; do you watch the games in 2D?

If yes, would you say the 2D-match engine is responsive to the tactics you emply? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you mean?

I watch 2-d when I need too, but I can get away with just highlights 90% of time.

Its just so frustrating, watching over 200 games i 2D (8.0.2) and trying to tweak and twat to make the players move into the right places, and them not doing it. But as you are winning with Sheff Utd. (a team I beat with Stockport in the League Cup) that clearly, you are obviously doing something right.

I am just wondering if you are a expert of football, or an expert of programming (the differnce between reading 442 and 0001110011101001001001010012000030000101001001)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> tweak and twat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's one to remember Cleon. icon_biggrin.gif

Definately a term we should add to the Tactics Bible. icon14.gif

Cleon,

icon14.gif BRILLIANT!!! Just to let you know works well on 532 as well. Only a couple of tweaks that I have had to make. As I play a flat back 5 I farrow my FB's up to the wing back position and passing style is short for everybody (apart from the DC's) as my players are not that clever.

Also I push the mentality of my middle DC up to about 5 and leave the other 2 on 3. Currently on a 6 match unbeaten run

KUTGW

I'm still yet to test it yet always working stupid crazy 12 hour days every day, i forwarded the link onto my friend at work he's played 5 won 5 with he's below average Middlesborough team and sitting in fifth which is quite good as he was finishing 13th and below for he's first four season's.

Can't wait to test this out in a new save either with grimsby or start unemployed, any reason why this wouldn't work at the lowest level? (N.Irish Div 2, Blue Square leagues)

Cleon,

Can i ask why you have not gone for a team setting on the midfield and forwards? The current settings seem so close to eachother.

Is it because, as you stated, wanted to acheive individual performances?

I see benefits both ways and i actualy use a team setting on the above players when i use my 4-2-4 counter and it seems to work really well.

I am not sure if its because i am lazy or that i still dont really know what to look for to adjust individual players settings during a game.

I am going to try it out a little and see what happens, but it would be good to know your thinking behind it.

I think we should start a 'what to look for.....' thread for people like me 8O)

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buxton:

Well Cleon, it's had a better reception than I think we thought it would icon14.gif

Might even get around to playing FM again myself and my version of it when I am sick of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I was a bit surprised and it somewhat restored my faith in actually posting tactics icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can i ask why you have not gone for a team setting on the midfield and forwards? The current settings seem so close to eachother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For how I play they need to be close together, if not the whole concept doesn't work.

Everyone is individual as I wanted people to see how I create the using ind instructions rather than team, which is what I've done in past.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think we should start a 'what to look for.....' thread for people like me 8O) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Way too many variables to explain imo icon_biggrin.gif

Cleon,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree.... in relation to the new thread. I just started one and then stopped, i got lost in just the examples i was giving !!!

In relation to the settings, what i meant to say was they are so close together now, why not go with team settings (just for those that i mention). I am only refereing to freedom and mentality. The players i highlighted were all within 2/3 clicks of eachother on the mentality.

I guess where it makes the difference is if you micro manage the team.

Can i ask, when you have decided that you need to go more attacking, by the point have you pin-pointed who you will make attacking, or do you go in and raise most of the midfield and attackers?

The answer to this question will be the key about a team mentality on these players vs an individual one.

I am glad you posted this tactic as it is (and you of course) answer a lot of questions for me.

Lee

It seems that whenever my full backs cross, the defenders always have their crosses blocked and it'll never reach its supposed target. Why is that so?

And my two attacking midfielder's arent getting involved as I want them to, perhaps their mentality are a little too attacking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

Yes I was a bit surprised and it somewhat restored my faith in actually posting tactics icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good, not everyone is like some of the "newer" community were they just want to shoot people down becuase soon as your good or better then them on the game your a cheat or abusing bugs.

Personally from me the likes of you, rashidi, wwfan, asmodeus (more last year's fm), buxton. All the guru's are greatly appreciated you dont have to share your knowledge or answer questions and i think that goes for a lot of other members of the community too its just the idiots that do spoil it who want to argue and just not add anything to the community.

On Syrup & Honey

Still yet to use it yet im working 12 hour days for the next 11 days im in defence watch's at work so that sucks, i check the syrup and honey thread like three times a day though, im dieing to try it and then put the corner exploit on it and make it even better, decided on my next game im going to test it with, im going to load one league in every continent and start unemployed work my way up with a bit of syrup and honey icon_razz.gif

Anyways KUTGW , maybe support a real team in black and white like Grimsby too icon_wink.gif

Meh Grimsby, they just pinch our songs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It seems that whenever my full backs cross, the defenders always have their crosses blocked and it'll never reach its supposed target. Why is that so? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they have good stats for crossing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And my two attacking midfielder's arent getting involved as I want them to, perhaps their mentality are a little too attacking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno you tell me icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeCOYR:

Do you have to do that all by yoourself?! No download? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bet you finished top of your class Sherlock!! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lam:

I think Cleon ate some 'happy chips' at about 6pm !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm always happy :p

I think Cleon ate some 'happy chips' at about 6pm !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm always happy :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy enough for a randomly selected banning?

Hmmmm,

Still struggling to get my Striker involved in scoring the goals. the same applies for my right winger.

I have two good players in these positions and in general i have a very good team.

My striker seems to be either to far out when he receives the ball and turns and shoots in to a wall of players or he is to far forward and gets crowded out.

My right winger has scored just 5 in 25 games, which i beleive should be alot higher.

I have three differnt types of strikers that i am trying now. a young one with pace and jumping, another with 20 finishing and heading and another all rounded player, but they just do not seem to get enough of the ball to get shots off, and on the odd game that they do 75% of the shots will be blocked by the defence.

When they do seem to score its from outside of the box with a screaming long shot.

Thankfully, my other players are chipping in with the goals and i am sure no one will be surprised to hear that my DC is my highest scoring player at present (which is kind of dissatsifying).

I have tried various setups, wide and slow, wide and fast, narrow and slow, narrow and fast, your standard setup.

I am not sure what sort of speed i should be playing at. I want to play fast so that my striker is not surrounded by players, but then my wingers are not advanced enough to support him. So i switch to a slower style of play and then everyone is surrounded by the defence rushing back.

I also can not get a cross in to save my life and my crossers are in the region of 15 to 18. I think if i could get these in then i will see a difference. I have changed the 'crossing from' to mixed on my RB's and my left wing in an attempt to get some crosses in that are not blocked. This is working okay from my left FB well enough, but not from my left wing. Perhaps i should lower his mentality?

Cleon (or anyone for that matter), based on the informaiton above, can you suggest anything?

LEe

Cleon,

I just read somewhere else that you do not use player instructions. Perhaps that is where i am going wrong. i will try turning these off to see what happens.

I will report back

Cleon,

Great post mate. (don't you get tired being praised so often?)

just picking up FM again, after about 3 years away.

Funny thing is, what you posted is more or less the formation I played back then. I played with a DM instead of 3 at the back.

Can't remember the exact version, but it's the one after Diablo.

Anyway, my question is, do you think SI has made major changes to the match engine over the recent years?

If not, maybe I should start studying the tactics philosiphies for the older version I missed.

I'm having problems about defenders hoofing the ball up.

cheers,

Tacca03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tacca03:

Anyway, my question is, do you think SI has made major changes to the match engine over the recent years?

If not, maybe I should start studying the tactics philosiphies for the older version I missed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would really be wasting your time mate, I would not even bother reading anything tactically specific prior to the latest patch, so about mid-february time.

It's changed a hell of a lot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buxton:

You would really be wasting your time mate, I would not even bother reading anything tactically specific prior to the latest patch, so about mid-february time.

It's changed a hell of a lot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers mate. So it seems it's just a pure coincident then.

Gonna start looking for the cure for defenders hoofing the ball up everytime.

Cleon,

After experimenting with different settings for wingers, back 3, MCs etc. I have designed a tactic that looks very promising. Then I open this thread only to find that I almost replicated your tactic icon_wink.gif. The only significant differences are 1)I have a sweeper instead of flat 3; 2)My MCs have arrows (one farrow to AMC and one barrow to DMC). There are few differences in individual instructions but they are not too significant.

Kind of proud of such similarity - maybe I finally started to understand the game as whole.

icon14.gif

Archived