Syrup & Honey - A tactical discussion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

Sometimes though, if I'm brave enough and have centre-backs with the right abilities, I may have them set on TTB. NOT recommended to try at lower levels though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please take a closer look at this again:

Heathxxx is FAR from talking about your tactic here; he speaks in general; he is after all even emphazising it with bold letters to specifically the lower league. My former reply was aimed 100% at this.

I haven't 'shot down your approach' by any single word here Cleon. My whole reply was aimed at Heathxxx comments, no more no less. So how you can feel aggravated by me commenting Heathxxx, is by me a mystery, cause your word of me 'shooting down your tactic' seems quite meaningless.

Your tactic Cleon, might be great, I do not know, cause I havent the ability to understand the mentality at all, even after 15 years of FM. So when a 'Guru' states that "*insert whatever instruction here* isn't recommended to try at *whatever* levels", just like Heathxxx did, then that 'Guru' should be 100% sure that it is so. In this particular referring, Heathxxx' recommendation was 100% wrong.

I might should have approached his reply another way, and I will weigh my words next time I question any 'Gurus' FM knowledge or skills, because I must say some of you moderators are a little bit too aggressive & threatening for me, who's even a rough northern Norwegian (Norlæinning)... icon_wink.gif

After-all you should be aware that the population here at this forum comes from alot of different cultures. Me for example, who's from northern Norway; we are a harsh & fierce people, direct in our speaking; Even supreme court has stated that we are allowed to call policemen for "horse****'s" without risking any reaction, cause it is a part of our language.

Many people, especially tender ones from the southern part of our country & immature punks, have hard time to cope with this way of speaking, and thereby we/me get burnt if the poor one we spoke to directly has the ability to revenge himself by any way of power abusement.

I am not intentionally trying to hurt anyone, I did, I truly apologize if that happened. But then, I don not think it should be an exclusive right for only the moderators here to speak their mind, cause I have countless times read replies from moderators that would for certain have given a regular forum user a warning, suspension or ban. I suggest you act as an example to follow before you start picking on others. If it was so that it gives you some satisfaction of being allowed to say whatever you like, and you allmoderators support this, well, what can we do? It will be like reporting a policeman for excessive use of power to the, eh, police.

With that being said: I will still be here, and I will do my best to contribute to the forum in a positive way; cause sticks & stone may break my bones, but words can NEVER hurt me!

/peace, love & end of discussion from my side.

Chris icon_smile.gif

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sometimes though, if I'm brave enough and have centre-backs with the right abilities, I may have them set on TTB. NOT recommended to try at lower levels though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My comment here was simply meant to suggest that at lower levels, where in all likelyhood I wouldn't have technically gifted centre-backs (low passing attributes etc...), then they're not really a player type I would recommend setting to TTB mixed or often.

If I have tachnically adept centre-backs with strong passing etc... atributes, then I would have them on TTB. All depends on the right settings with the right player attributes for my money. Perhaps in fairness I should have elaborated more in that respect.

Having TTB set rarely was simply an agreement with Cleon's settings for a striker. Although I play formations with two up front, rather than Cleon's solo striker, one will be more advanced in his settings (higher mentality, forward runs often, run with ball often, but TTB rarely), the other will be sat deeper with forward runs mixed/rarely, TTB often, as a "feeder" player to link up with the midfield.

Hopefully that clarifies the point better again and you can see why I go with this approach. Advanced striker is the main scorer of goals, deeper striker (or AMC, or MC with farrow), is the feeder player who scores too, but creates more.

Wingers I prefer to limit TTB, because for me, having technical but not strong wingers, a player looking at TTB often loses the physical battle whilst dwelling on the ball to look for a killer pass. I prefer my technical or pacey wingers to hit the byline and cross often into dangerous positions in or around the box. I elaborate again, but hopefully this will clear up the reasoning in what I posted.

Now I feel like I've written half of War & Peace, I'm off to bed! icon_wink.gif

No harm done, none intended and let's all get along eh chaps & chapesses. icon_biggrin.gif

Our aim is the same. To get the best from out little blobbies on the pitch. icon14.gif

For me the striker settings that cleon listed in his original formation on page 1 don't really work. I have a really gifted striker in Adebayor but with mentality at 20 and ttb, long shots and crossing on rarely he has a very difficult time scoring. I tried to give him more creative freedom so maybe he would have a better time shedding his marker but without much avail. I looked at the screen of how Billy Sharp scored over 50 goals in this formation and i'm amazed how that's possible with those striker instructions. icon_smile.gif I basically kept the same winger settings since both of my wings are top quality and i gave them couple more notches of CF. Anyone have any ideas how to make a world-class striker score more in this formation?

And this is by far the best formation for success i have used in fm2008. I have tried many many different formations. I went on a 104 game unbeaten streak in premiership with Arsenal in 2009. Thank You again Cleon and Buxton for sharing this with us all mortals. icon_wink.gif

Forgot to add to my previous post, i also tried the suggestion to lower his mentality to around 17-18 and that marginally improved his scoring average but i'm still not satisfied with the striker role but i see that it can be effective from page 1 so i feel as though there might be something else that's hindering my striker's progress.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My counclusion is this: I have my striker set up with mix TTB, he scors many goals and has many assists. It is no rule wich says "if you set up your striker without TTB - your striker will score more". It totaly depent on type of the striker and the style of football you are playing. So for evereybody else who wants to do this, feel free and try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, if your striker is doing TTB's its common sense that he will score less as hes passing the ball to others, instead of taking a crack himself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I haven't 'shot down your approach' by any single word here Cleon. My whole reply was aimed at Heathxxx comments, no more no less. So how you can feel aggravated by me commenting Heathxxx, is by me a mystery, cause your word of me 'shooting down your tactic' seems quite meaningless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well your exact words was

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How can you say all this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you reffered to everything Heath said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Your tactic Cleon, might be great, I do not know, cause I havent the ability to understand the mentality at all, even after 15 years of FM. So when a 'Guru' states that "*insert whatever instruction here* isn't recommended to try at *whatever* levels", just like Heathxxx did, then that 'Guru' should be 100% sure that it is so. In this particular referring, Heathxxx' recommendation was 100% wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well to be fair, having a defender on ttb's isnt ideal regardless of the team you are. So I agree with Heath. You say it works for you, but I guarantee that if I viewed some of your games the dc's would give possession away cheaply often. The only time it would work more often that not is if you had someone really skilled on the ball at the back. And lets face it this doesnt happen at lower levels hence Heath's comments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I might should have approached his reply another way, and I will weigh my words next time I question any 'Gurus' FM knowledge or skills, because I must say some of you moderators are a little bit too aggressive & threatening for me, who's even a rough northern Norwegian (Norlæinning)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone as threatened you. You seem to be able to attack people yourself yet dont like it when someone responds in the same manner to yourself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> After-all you should be aware that the population here at this forum comes from alot of different cultures. Me for example, who's from northern Norway; we are a harsh & fierce people, direct in our speaking; Even supreme court has stated that we are allowed to call policemen for "horse****'s" without risking any reaction, cause it is a part of our language.

Many people, especially tender ones from the southern part of our country & immature punks, have hard time to cope with this way of speaking, and thereby we/me get burnt if the poor one we spoke to directly has the ability to revenge himself by any way of power abusement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totaly irellevant to posting on a forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I am not intentionally trying to hurt anyone, I did, I truly apologize if that happened. But then, I don not think it should be an exclusive right for only the moderators here to speak their mind, cause I have countless times read replies from moderators that would for certain have given a regular forum user a warning, suspension or ban. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calling people stupid for following some of our ideas was insulting yes, but you've apoligised which is all good. You can speak your mind, but dont call people stupid or idiots. And it seems that when someone speaks their mind back to you, you dont like it. Its works both way remember.

Anyways the last on this matter, or i'll close the thread as I cant be bothered with all this anymore. Shame really as for FM09 I doubt many established memebers will be posting anymore. I know for one this is my last topic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaycar:

Ah thought so...thanks icon14.gif ..I always thought he was an AMR, did you retrain him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope hes a AML/R. He is better suited to the right but Kalouda is better imo. Although I had them both swap positions after a while anyways icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No, if your striker is doing TTB's its common sense that he will score less as hes passing the ball to others, instead of taking a crack himself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont care who scors the goals, my striker or my winger - is the same for me. As long as I win the game and play attractive football. It is totaly irrelevent if my striker or my wingers have 20-25 goals at the end. If I can generaly score more goals by seting my striker doing TTB, I would do that. For me is much bether option if striker can pass the ball to somebody who is in bether position to score the goal instead of him taking a crack and miss. If you relying on your striker to do this job instead of your wingers or somebody else, then I could agree is bether for him not doing TTB. That was my point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyways the last on this matter, or i'll close the thread as I cant be bothered with all this anymore. Shame really as for FM09 I doubt many established memebers will be posting anymore. I know for one this is my last topic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you sound like 8 years old - "if I cant be a boss then I dont want to play any more". Grow up. We are adults.

You realise that setting a striker to ttb's rarely doesnt mean he wont pass to someone better placed dont you? It means he passes to them if he has no other options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Now you sound like 8 years old - "if I cant be a boss then I dont want to play any more". Grow up. We are adults. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Im sick of contributing and answering questions from people picking apart whatever I write. If that makes me sound 8 then I couldnt care less. And dont tell me to grow up either you patronising twat.

Archived