Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09

Brilliant guide - so helpful and easy to read.

Just one question - on page 13 where you describe the mentality settings for each tactical approach there is each position listed and a number next to it. For instance on the Nike Defence the following applies....

GK: 7

DCd: 6

DC: 8

FB: 10

MCd: 9

ML/R: 11

MCa: 12

FC: 13

Does this mean that the FC mentality should be on the 13th notch on the mentality settings? Or tat he should be 13 notches difference from the defender, who starts on 6. It just seems pretty low mentality for s striker and a fairly high setting for a goalkeepeer/defender

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do not get it I use tactic you made I try to micromanage it to the maximum (tried everything) and still I am incapable to do something: Also I am playing your 4-4-1-1 tactic and cant hold any possession because when my player receive ball he is being closed down and tackled almost instantly and when opposition is passing my players are closing down way slower even as they are way weaker. My players are defending poorly while oppositions are defending great (my players are always one foot behind while the oppositions aren't even though I have enough players at back)

Also I find managing in Spain way harder than in UK do you find it the same??

P.S. Sorry for the poor English

by god - I cannot believe how reading this guide has changed my tactics - I am now rpoducing some beautiful football, exactly what I was aiming for. I honestly have always thought that short passing produced sexy football but have now realised it is a combination that is the secrect - guys I take my hat of to you

Does this mean that the FC mentality should be on the 13th notch on the mentality settings? Or tat he should be 13 notches difference from the defender, who starts on 6. It just seems pretty low mentality for s striker and a fairly high setting for a goalkeepeer/defender
The former. Although from your later post, I gather you have worked that out already :)

Downloading: I have added one more link to the OP (Download Link 1 is the new one). However, if someone with a filefront account can upload and PM me a link, I can edit that in as well.

Just another quick question - if you have set all the mentality settings individually, does the team mentality have any effect? For instance I am 2-0 up with 20 mins to go - If I set the teams mentality to a more general defensive one will I see a difference or would I have to change individual settings?

I'm trying to get a 4-3-3 in the Barcelona/Chelsea style to work properly and am having a rough time with it. My basic problem is that I want my wingers out wide when not in possession so they can attack the flanks quickly, if the opposition fb's push up too far, but then to dive inside and provide support for the lone striker when I am in possession, with my fb's providing the width. I have improved it slightly, but they still tend to stay wide until the reach the byline, at which point they make a 90 degree turn inside. I know a lot of people have been struggling to get players like Ronaldo/Messi/Robinho to cut inside, so I am not alone in having this problem.

Would it help to try and narrow my attacking formations? Would the fb's still hug the touchline if I did that? Should I get rid of playing down the flanks in the attacking set, even though I want my wings to try and receive the ball out there if they are immediately available? I have already turned crossing down, to rarely in some cases, for the wingers to encourage them to cut in. As I said earlier, I noticed a strange behavior if I leave cross from on byline; they will dribble to the byline, then make a 90 degree turn inside. It seems they dribble to the cross from location, then figure out what to do. Is this how it actually works? If I turn cross from to mixed, then they don't attack as much with the ball at their feet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just another quick question - if you have set all the mentality settings individually, does the team mentality have any effect? For instance I am 2-0 up with 20 mins to go - If I set the teams mentality to a more general defensive one will I see a difference or would I have to change individual settings?

The team setting should have no effect. Individual settings override global, bar the true extremes (mentalities 1 and 20).

Would it help to try and narrow my attacking formations? Would the fb's still hug the touchline if I did that? Should I get rid of playing down the flanks in the attacking set, even though I want my wings to try and receive the ball out there if they are immediately available? I have already turned crossing down, to rarely in some cases, for the wingers to encourage them to cut in. As I said earlier, I noticed a strange behavior if I leave cross from on byline; they will dribble to the byline, then make a 90 degree turn inside. It seems they dribble to the cross from location, then figure out what to do. Is this how it actually works? If I turn cross from to mixed, then they don't attack as much with the ball at their feet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Immediate thoughts would be to play on the last notch of normal and to give them free roles in an attacking tactic. I'd also encourage them to do pretty much everything (i.e. treat them as a complete forward).

Have read the guide and tried to follow it.. but it dosent work. still i loose against west brom with tottenham, when i got veloso,moutinho,fernandez,rossi etc etc.. got a top team, but dont win 3-4-5/0 .. always 1-0,1-1 or 0-3 loses.. Dont know how to get any fun out of FM09, tried everything. use btw 4-4-2.. with veloso and moutinho as C mid, with def and attack mental. have tweaked on player instruction, team instruction (followed the guide), have made a good training program with good trainers.... bah. what else can i do ? if you need to do more then that, the game isnt any fun..used hours to tweake and make it perfect.

Thought maybe the guide worked earlier, started with 1-1 against man utd.. but then i lost 3-1 against coventry in a leaguecup and 2-1 against blackburn etc.. bah

Have read the guide and tried to follow it.. but it dosent work. still i loose against west brom with tottenham, when i got veloso,moutinho,fernandez,rossi etc etc.. got a top team, but dont win 3-4-5/0 .. always 1-0,1-1 or 0-3 loses.. Dont know how to get any fun out of FM09, tried everything. use btw 4-4-2.. with veloso and moutinho as C mid, with def and attack mental. have tweaked on player instruction, team instruction (followed the guide), have made a good training program with good trainers.... bah. what else can i do ? if you need to do more then that, the game isnt any fun..used hours to tweake and make it perfect.

Thought maybe the guide worked earlier, started with 1-1 against man utd.. but then i lost 3-1 against coventry in a leaguecup and 2-1 against blackburn etc.. bah

Assuming this is the opening season, you are going to have a nightmare with a Spurs side with added new players, as the gelling/team understanding will be non-existent. You will have to spend your opening season, or at least the first half of it, grinding out results by using a structured and disciplined system focusing on Standard and Defensive match strategies. If you spread out play and try to attack, you will get slaughtered by more gelled sides. Stick with it, encourage your new players, take the pressure off and slowly but surely results will come.

Justified,

How are you doing with your 4-3-3 ConDom you said you were testing? Are the wingers cutting inside? Give some details, as I'm very interested but unable to play due to lack of time.

And just so you know, I want my wingers cutting inside earlier from wide positions receiving passes from a fullback/midfielders, then running through the center with the ball and combining with the spearhead FC. Which means comming inside in the middle third as well as the attacking third without the ball and then doing their damage from there. But I want them to stay wide in the defensive third to help the team transition from defense to offense much easier or to help protect the flanks. Do you think that's possible? Have you managed to do so in your 4-3-3? If that's not something you are trying to achieve, can you give me some good advice as to how I can achieve it.

Also, I think that AMRL in this formation MUST be in attacking roles (FWR = often) in Standard/Attacking Strategies. Am I right? Would the FC be in attacking role if he is with attacking mentality (15-18) but with only mixed FWR?

This is what I'm thinking about my frameworks to be:

Standard/Attacking

GK 8/12

DC 8/11

FB 11/13

DM 12/15

MC 14/17

AM 13/16

FC 15/18

WWFAN can you try helping here with that too?

Thanks in advance!

Well, i expect my team to win against coventry, even if couple of them got language problems and its a whole new team on the pitch. Getting slaughtered by coventry is just a big lol. I have seen others getting success out of the guide, and when they start theyre games, they win 13-0 in their first matches right away... so i expect that Tottenham can manage to win atleast 3/4 - 0 against coventry.. Something is wrong when i loose 3-1 against them.

used alot of time with tweaking this morning to.. first match against everton away. lost 2-0, almost didnt have any chanses. this is just sooo frustrating.

Assuming this is the opening season, you are going to have a nightmare with a Spurs side with added new players, as the gelling/team understanding will be non-existent. You will have to spend your opening season, or at least the first half of it, grinding out results by using a structured and disciplined system focusing on Standard and Defensive match strategies. If you spread out play and try to attack, you will get slaughtered by more gelled sides. Stick with it, encourage your new players, take the pressure off and slowly but surely results will come.

This is just a cop-out. Without knowing what exactly his problem is, putting it down to 'players not gelling' is pretty silly. But I guess as a moderator criticizinig the game as much as is justified wouldnt be in the best interest of you or SIGames..

I've made a few, and used quite a few that have been pre-made. It just aint working against my other rivals, or half decent teams.

Its annoying now, because its slowly killing the game for me :(

I just want a tactic you are using yourself then tweak it.

I am using the three 4-5-1s included in this pack. The only things I've changed is I've made them 2 clicks narrower, and on the attack version I've taken off a few clicks of closing down.

Like I say - there's 72 tactics in here that we do use. I'm not trying to be flippant or evasive here, but there is no point in me sending you anything because it won't be any "better" than what's already available for download. Every tactic has to be changed to suit the team you're playing with and the individual match conditions.

So, just the 4-5-1 for me. Not sure what wwfan is using, but he will tell you the same story.

By the way Millie, whats the story with FM:B?

It's fixed now. We had some issues, but it shouldn't happen again. :thup:

Well, i expect my team to win against coventry, even if couple of them got language problems and its a whole new team on the pitch. Getting slaughtered by coventry is just a big lol. I have seen others getting success out of the guide, and when they start theyre games, they win 13-0 in their first matches right away... so i expect that Tottenham can manage to win atleast 3/4 - 0 against coventry.. Something is wrong when i loose 3-1 against them.

used alot of time with tweaking this morning to.. first match against everton away. lost 2-0, almost didnt have any chanses. this is just sooo frustrating.

I feel much the same as you but I can assure you, it is nothing to do with your tactic. SIGames just managed to fubar a perfectly fine match engine as displayed in the demo and FM Live. The latest patches has caused the game to be near impossible to get any sense out of.

AI defending with 9 players in the penaltybox during open play is just a disgrace.

Seems to me gelling is a very minor factor in the game. In my game (as Liverpool) Spurs are flying high despite having basically a whole new first eleven compared to last season.

This is just a cop-out. Without knowing what exactly his problem is, putting it down to 'players not gelling' is pretty silly. But I guess as a moderator criticizinig the game as much as is justified wouldnt be in the best interest of you or SIGames..
What a naive reply. Players who haven't gelled or settled will be much more difficult to get good performances out of. Anyone at any level will find that. And as well as that, if the season hasn't started well for whatever team with whatever players, then that's when you need to be playing more defensive in most matches and slowly improving the confidence in the team.

hi

im making some basic tatics using the excel based wizard , but i find when i change the theory option nothing changes in the diagrams?

all the other options seem to change apart from the manager theorys?

cheers

Well.. i have played with tottenham for 1 season, and they still play crap. Trying to follow the guide, but my own tactics works better (but not good enough, loose alot and draw alot).

1 more has goten success with the guide, he postet the results on a other forum.. he beatet rosenborg 14-0 with stabæk in the norwegian top league, 33 shots and 20 shot on goal. thats crazy..

dont understand what iam doing wrong...bah..

You can check wwfan's posting history and find hundreds of criticisms of the game. Many in this thread.

But like you say, "without knowing more". I think the best thing wwfan can do, actually, is not to offer any advice until people e-mail them their save games and detail every click they've made. Once this is done, he can offer some tentative theories. :thup:

Squad gelling, in our testing can be a major factor. It's not the only one. It's not necessarily something that will make you lose every game. But it's a significant factor in why players won't play a system 100% effectively from the off.

A 3-1 loss against Coventry? The first question is, what "flavour" tactic were you playing, and did you play it all the way through. Was it a competative game? Were you playing your A team? What sort of goals did you concede? Have you got a pkm?

We can try and help and are more than willing. :) That is, if ThokeGM will allow us to give you any advice without seeing a YouTube video of you playing the game from 5 different angles...

I have been using the Quieroz tactic with Valencia, I have developed a standard tactic for it as well and with both versions I am struggling to get my striker - David villa - to score. I have tried instructions for him as a poacher and all around striker and he is still not scoring with either set of instructions. Can you give me any advice?

went for the "standard" tactic.. with 4-4-2. made sure that 1 of the attackers was more def and the other atc, and 1 mid center was more def and the other atc. Tweaked on all of the player instructions, and followed the guide line by line. used all my best players.

Gomes

Bale - king - corluka - zakora

Fernandez - veloso - moutinho - Bentley

Rossi - Bent

stats : 6/6 shots for coventry, 15/6 for me. they played as good as me.. 50% ball possession and won just as much tackles etc.

Coventrys 1 goal: Zakora looses the ball on our half after a stupid quick pass from king who was alone, then coventry starts to short pass with eachother, and finally finds room to make a crossball (dosent look like my players are putting any pressure on them, but i got alot of pressure on).. my defender makes a bad clearance, and the coventry attacker is on the return alone, no one has a mark on him, even when i got thight marking.

Coventry, goal 2: Coventry is making some short passes with eachother, then my mid center catches the ball, and looses it easily fast again.. The coventry player passes fast to their striker, and my players arent putting any pressure on him, just backing down.. Then the striker passes to the other striker (who isnt marked properly, king is running next to him).. The striker shoots from 17-18m and scores. my players are getting tricked very easy

Coventry goal 3: I take the kick off, coventry fast takes the ball, makes 2-3 short passes, the striker just turns left against the Cdefender, and blast the shot from 17-18m and goal

After what i can see.. it looks like my players cant pass well together, gets tricked very easy, dont put enough pressure on the players etc..

Blackburn game... 9/2 (blackburn) - 9/4 me...

Blackburn 1 goal: The midfielders and strikers are short passing with eachother and my players are just watching,dont try to tackle or anything.. finally the ball get to the center and the striker shots from around 17-19m and scores. My Cdef,midfielders etc, just stand there and watch.. dont tackle or anything.

Blackburn goal 2: I see that blackburn is short passing ALOT, and my players is just watching and making some small pressure on the man now and then.. SAnta cruz got 2! defenders on him.. but both defenders just watch and let santa cruz turn right and shoot from 17-18m and goals.. its nothing between santa cruz and the goal.. its a big gap, he can just shoot easy from 17-18 m without any pressure, just turns to one of the sides against the defenders and shoots.

After watching thoose 2 games, i see 1 thing that repeats itself everytime. My players let the strikers/midfielders shoot from 17-20m all the time.. the defenders look like *******, and dont tackle og do any pressure. Same with my midefielders etc.. and my passing is horrible sometimes and the players loose the ball easy.

Love this thread as usual, a couple of questions to you tactics guru's. I have uploaded my tactics from '08 (designed using the TT&F from '08). I am 3 months in with Man Utd and have lost only 1 game (in the CL) however I am finding it difficult to win games in the CL! Has anyone noticed that tactics for CL games tend to need to be different to those in the EPL?

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Millie, wwfan and Jordan for all their efforts making the TTF and the podcast: awesome work.

I am trying to setup my own tactics using the TTF, so hopefully I will get good results.

Thanks a lot!!!

I'm sitting at work being rather bored atm, so I've been thinking about FM tactics :D

I'm currently developing a 4-2-3-1 which is initially looking pretty useful, and I'm going to continue to work on this, but at some stage I'm planning to try a formation which has interested me for some time, the 3-4-3:

DC - DC - DC

MR - MC - MC - ML

FC - FC - FC

What I'm curious is how you (wwfan, Millie and the other experts) would assign the "roles" in this kind of formation?

I was thinking something like:

Central striker as "attack"

Wide strikers as "support"

Center mids as "attack"

Wide mids vary as per the tactic

Defenders as "Defend"

This does however, leave me with no defensive minded midfielder. The formation is always going to be attack minded given it's positions, but can I build it around such a role setup? Would having the third DC make up for the lack of DM/MC(d)? Or would I be better doing something like:

Central striker as "support"

Wide strikers as "attack"

1 Center mid as "attack"

1 Center mid as "defend"

Central Defender as "support" (Libero type player)

Wide defenders as "defend"

There's probably a 3-4-3 in the tactic pack for me to examine, but, as I said, I'm suck at work, so all I can do is theorise :p

Read through the whole thing and once again you guys have done a brilliant job.

My liverpool side a struggling a little and I want to try to replicate the 4-2-3-1 they use in real life, along with a 4-4-2 for rotation.

My performances have been average, seldom scoring more than 2. Torres has been extremely poor whether in a 2 man attack or alone.

I've downloaded the tactics and am going to try the 4-2-3-1 you have included in the pack.

However the one you guys have included seems to be a narrow 4-2-3-1, which will make my wingers play in an "un-natural" position when in that formation. Is this ok? Or should i shift them wide?

Great guide, thanks, like the 08 one it's helping me get more from the game.

Do you advocate using the Shut Up Shop tactic when the opposition change to a 424 if they're a goal (or sometimes two) behind with ten minutes to go? Or should it work better when you're under pressure but they're still using their normal formation?

Can anyone help me at all, the guide is absolutely amazing and i give plenty of credit to the authors.

The thing i would like help with is when you check the mentality ways of how people play, eg; Benitez, Mourinho, Fergie, Capello etc there are numbers next to the positions, does this mean the amount of notches on the mentality slider on each player?

Any help would be appreciated!

Great guide, thanks, like the 08 one it's helping me get more from the game.

Do you advocate using the Shut Up Shop tactic when the opposition change to a 424 if they're a goal (or sometimes two) behind with ten minutes to go? Or should it work better when you're under pressure but they're still using their normal formation?

If your team is still playing well then you might not need to change to the SUS, but instead just narrow the width slightly, reduce tempo and increase time wasting. Counter attack and run onto ball target man might also help you get another goal on the break to see out the game. Sometimes changing to SUS will invite too much pressure.
I'm sitting at work being rather bored atm, so I've been thinking about FM tactics :D

I'm currently developing a 4-2-3-1 which is initially looking pretty useful, and I'm going to continue to work on this, but at some stage I'm planning to try a formation which has interested me for some time, the 3-4-3:

DC - DC - DC

MR - MC - MC - ML

FC - FC - FC

What I'm curious is how you (wwfan, Millie and the other experts) would assign the "roles" in this kind of formation?

I was thinking something like:

Central striker as "attack"

Wide strikers as "support"

Center mids as "attack"

Defenders as "Defend"

This does however, leave me with no defensive minded midfielder. The formation is always going to be attack minded given it's positions, but can I build it around such a role setup? Would having the third DC make up for the lack of DM/MC(d)? Or would I be better doing something like:

Central striker as "support"

Wide strikers as "attack"

1 Center mid as "attack"

1 Center mid as "defend"

Central Defender as "support" (Libero type player)

Wide defenders as "defend"

There's probably a 3-4-3 in the tactic pack for me to examine, but, as I said, I'm suck at work, so all I can do is theorise :p

I'd say for a standard 3 defend, 4 support and 3 attack, simply have the 3 DCs on defend, the midfielders on support and the FCs on attack. You might also want to make the MR/L slightly more defensive, at least for a Standard or Defend system to protect the flanks and you'll already have the side FCs giving width anyway.

Can anyone help me at all, the guide is absolutely amazing and i give plenty of credit to the authors.

The thing i would like help with is when you check the mentality ways of how people play, eg; Benitez, Mourinho, Fergie, Capello etc there are numbers next to the positions, does this mean the amount of notches on the mentality slider on each player?

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes. Far left = 1, far right = 20

I've read TT&08 and it helped me a bit, not as much as I hoped though. This rendetion looks better and I'll be giving it a thorough read very soon. Great job to all involved.

Without being too silly, all four download links on the first page are for the same thing?

I'm looking forward the Tactic Wizard Excel file, the 72 different tactics and maybe the PDF of the TT&F09 article.

Cheers guys.

Also, opposition instructions are completely hit and miss, even if you do as advised by TT&F to the tee. The trouble is for every game you get them spot on and it works, you'll have three where they make no difference or even have a detrimental effect. Obviously, if you are watching every game in full you have more time to make tweaks, but I've come to the opinion that it's better just to leave them alone. I'd certainly like to see some statistical analysis of what impact OI's can have.

Didn't help me much at all. The funny thing is these guys spend their entire lives building these guides yet a converted FM08 "cheat" tactic still beats the pants off it. Still a long way to go with the match engine if you ask me.

I can assure you, if I wanted to beat the ME by exploiting it, I wouldn't have any difficulty in doing so. My goal is to provide a methodology for those who wish to play a realistic game in which managerial decisions make the difference between winning and losing, rather than designing a tactic that just requires the user to click the continue button. Hence, no corner cheat, no crazy formations (outside of our rendition of the classic ones of previous eras), just logical and easy to understand (for most at least) instructions outlining tactical concepts. The aim is that everybody can build a tactic, not that one person can and the rest of the world downloads it. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he is never hungry.

As for your OI issues, I don't use them in every match either, just in the ones that I suggest you try them. For example, it is pointless OI Closing down a winger on a narrow pitch as he won't have any space to exploit anyway.

@ liamaldinho: Without being too silly, all four download links on the first page are for the same thing?
A few people were complaining they couldn't access the files, so we mirrored it on four servers. Since then, no complaints.

I can assure you, if I wanted to beat the ME by exploiting it, I wouldn't have any difficulty in doing so. My goal is to provide a methodology for those who wish to play a realistic game in which managerial decisions make the difference between winning and losing, rather than designing a tactic that just requires the user to click the continue button. Hence, no corner cheat, no crazy formations (outside of our rendition of the classic ones of previous eras), just logical and easy to understand (for most at least) instructions outlining tactical concepts. The aim is that everybody can build a tactic, not that one person can and the rest of the world downloads it. Give a man a a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he is never hungry.

Well said. What's the point of a game if you cheat?

wwfan, are all 3 articles/files that I want in the same winzip folder?

If so you'll have to break it down on how to find each of them within it, because I'm having trouble seperating it all.

Thanks again.

wwfan, are all 3 articles/files that I want in the same winzip folder?

If so you'll have to break it down on how to find each of them within it, because I'm having trouble seperating it all.

Thanks again.

The winzip archive should contain four separate folders, Documents, Modern Formations, Experimental Formations and Classic Tactics. The Documents folder contains the two pdfs and the wizard. Modern formations contains 20 different contemporary formations coming in Defensive, Standard and Attacking flavours. The Experimental folder contains three one-off tactics, the Roma 4-6-0, the Hiddink 3-6-1 and the Quieroz 4-2-3-1 Assymetric. The Classic folder contains 9 classic tactics:

Catenaccio

Danubian School

Metodo

Swissbolt

3-3-4

Ajax

The Pyramid

The WW

The WM

All can be imported into FM as replacements for the current defaults.

You're spot on wwfan, sorted it now. Nice one.

Good work once again.

Started a game as unemployed and been given a job with Farsley Celtic United. And I'll be trying to implement the article into my game.

Do you have any special tips or advice when it comes to LLM? As I'm sure 90% of managers will opt to test these theories/frameworks out on top division teams.

We tested the following sides (there are more but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head):

Man Utd

Arsenal

Villa

Spurs

Stoke

Walsall

St Pauli

Randers

Athletico Madrid

Real Madrid

Palermo

Morton

Aguiar de Maraba

PSBS Bangkinang

The only thing lower level sides need (and the bottom two are very lower level) is narrower width and less CD as LL players get tired and make mistakes with very expansive settings. You might wish to reduce creative freedom and lengthen passing a bit too, but other than that, everything else should be fine.

Archived