New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

£150-£250 that'll run FM19? Even refurb, you won't get much more than a netbook that wouldn't come close to playing FM for that much. To play FM, you're looking really at £600 minimum, and that's if you spot a particularly decent sale price or deal.

Thanks - not sure if was clear but desktop rather than laptop.

Would this sort of thing be ok? I will only use it for FM2019 and internet browsing basically! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-3040-Micro-PC-i5-6500T-8GB-Ram-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Pro-64Bit/113610664224?hash=item1a73b92920:g:3aoAAOSw~5dcBudZ 

Spent the last few days doing a load of research, the Lenovo on the link below seems to be the best one for me in my price range. Do any of you smart folk see anything glaringly missing with it? Can accept it being a 7/10 across the board. 

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ich-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185206-pdt.html

8 hours ago, vsz999 said:

Would this sort of thing be ok? I will only use it for FM2019 and internet browsing basically! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-3040-Micro-PC-i5-6500T-8GB-Ram-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Pro-64Bit/113610664224?hash=item1a73b92920:g:3aoAAOSw~5dcBudZ 

The processor is just about above minimum specs, but I honestly can't say if it would, as it appears to have integrated graphics, rather than a dedicated graphics card, and it's hard to say without more details being provided by the seller whether the integrated graphics would be good enough (as it depends on the model, which isn't provided on that page).

You can take a gamble with it, but there's no guarantee it'd run it, and it likely wouldn't run it above minimum.

23 hours ago, vsz999 said:

Scraping the bottom of the barrell. 

Could you save a bit more and get something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Veriton-ES2710G-Core-i5-7400-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-DVDRW-UMA-DT-VQEEK-005/223328230078?epid=2238671864&hash=item33ff665abe:g:bcwAAOSwQXlcPzIO

15 hours ago, Mozy said:

Spent the last few days doing a load of research, the Lenovo on the link below seems to be the best one for me in my price range. Do any of you smart folk see anything glaringly missing with it? Can accept it being a 7/10 across the board. 

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ich-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185206-pdt.html

Could do with a bit more ram but decent. You could add more ram easily, it doesn't void the warranty, it's just a panel on the back of the laptop. 

Get a price from PC world or something to do it for you if you're  not confident, then save for it and get more RAM added at least 8gb in total.

14 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The processor is just about above minimum specs, but I honestly can't say if it would, as it appears to have integrated graphics, rather than a dedicated graphics card, and it's hard to say without more details being provided by the seller whether the integrated graphics would be good enough (as it depends on the model, which isn't provided on that page).

You can take a gamble with it, but there's no guarantee it'd run it, and it likely wouldn't run it above minimum.

It's the i5 6500T - the on board graphics card in this processor is the HD Graphics 530

https://ark.intel.com/products/88183/Intel-Core-i5-6500T-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-10-GHz-

Whereas the 6500T is an ok processor it would be throttled by the TDP as it's quite low, meaning it probably won't exceed 2.5ghz too often playing FM. THe graphics card is good enough to play graphics on low detail.

There is a TE version of the 6500 processor, but this for mobile devices, and the 6500T in this desktop seems to be the real deal as it's marked as being 2.5ghz - whereas the TE is 2.3ghz.

2 minutes ago, vsz999 said:

Well it's not all about price. Here's the comparison

https://ark.intel.com/compare/88183,97147

Main points is it's a new processor.

6500t vs 7400

Min 2.50 GHz  vs  3.00 GHz

Max 3.10 GHz vs   3.50 GHz

TDP 35 W  vs  65 W (higher the rate the better for hitting max turbo speed)

Intel® HD Graphics 530  vs  Intel® HD Graphics 630

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well it's not all about price. Here's the comparison

https://ark.intel.com/compare/88183,97147

Main points is it's a new processor.

6500t vs 7400

Min 2.50 GHz  vs  3.00 GHz

Max 3.10 GHz vs   3.50 GHz

TDP 35 W  vs  65 W (higher the rate the better for hitting max turbo speed)

Intel® HD Graphics 530  vs  Intel® HD Graphics 630

I agree @vsz999, this one is the better computer.

Hi Smurf.

looking at a pc/laptop for just football manager, budget at a mere £400. I only load 2/3 leagues max and play old school 2d. Would I be able to get something, or as mentioned in an earlier thread am I just wasting my time? 

Friend sent me this just above budget https://www.ebuyer.com/843031-hp-285-g3-mt-desktop-3va15ea-abu

Edited by Parkesy_uk

21 minutes ago, Parkesy_uk said:

Hi Smurf.

looking at a pc/laptop for just football manager, budget at a mere £400. I only load 2/3 leagues max and play old school 2d. Would I be able to get something, or as mentioned in an earlier thread am I just wasting my time? 

Friend sent me this just above budget https://www.ebuyer.com/843031-hp-285-g3-mt-desktop-3va15ea-abu

Not great.

https://www.ebuyer.com/842003-zoostorm-evolve-i5-8th-gen-desktop-pc-7290-3124

9 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thanks Smurf. Remember when football manager (and the old championship manager) worked on pretty much anything. It’s evolved so much but I think more and more like myself now miss out due to the cost. Thanks for the honesty and great posts you put on here 👍

3 hours ago, Parkesy_uk said:

Thanks Smurf. Remember when football manager (and the old championship manager) worked on pretty much anything. It’s evolved so much but I think more and more like myself now miss out due to the cost. Thanks for the honesty and great posts you put on here 👍

It would run on what you posted it's just that i found something better in the same price range. 

That's all i do.  Whatever the price budget then find the best i can. 

4 hours ago, Parkesy_uk said:

I'd watch out getting that one - just looked, and it says it doesn't come with an operating system, so you'd have to buy Windows separately, which, depending on what version you get, could cost you another £100 or so.

Just to add to this topic. I'm 45 and have played football games since Match of The Day on the Spectrum, very sad I know. Recently got a Surface Pro 3 with a tidly 64gb hard drive, dual core i3 and only 4gb of ram and its running FM 19 surprisingly well. I've put the game and related files on an external 128gb SD card and play with a large database and the 3d graphics on medium settings and its running really well. Because of how its made, its a tablet that runs Windows but can be used with a mouse and/or keyboard depending on whether you are at a table, in your car or in bed. When Im in the living room I use it as a tablet on my knee with the kickstand and a mouse, and when Im in bed I use it as a tablet with the stylus. I'll never go back to the high spec gaming laptop Ive always used due to the way the Surface adapts to where Im skiving.

This is my, likely useless, input on the subject.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I'd watch out getting that one - just looked, and it says it doesn't come with an operating system, so you'd have to buy Windows separately, which, depending on what version you get, could cost you another £100 or so.

Thanks both. I’ve always been into FM since the CM09/10 days and my pc recently broke. Just looking to get something solely for that - if they are no good do you have any recommendations for £400? I seen early posts saying not to bother below £600 but I load in 2/3 leagues and play 2d so I just need something that can handle that

44 minutes ago, Parkesy_uk said:

Thanks both. I’ve always been into FM since the CM09/10 days and my pc recently broke. Just looking to get something solely for that - if they are no good do you have any recommendations for £400? I seen early posts saying not to bother below £600 but I load in 2/3 leagues and play 2d so I just need something that can handle that

If you're able to stretch to £480, and don't mind it being second hand, this PC looks pretty good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gaming-pc-i7-4790-3-6GHZ-16GB-RAM-240SSD-2TB-HARD-DRIVE-23-3D-Ips-TFT-Screen/143088426294?hash=item2150bc1d36:g:8Z0AAOSwdHpcOfJ0

The processor in that might be 5 years old, but was a top of the line one at the time, and would make relatively easy work of FM19. It has a fairly decent graphics card in it too, that'll still run top line games coming out right now at solid medium graphics levels. That, plus 16GB RAM, and both a faster solid-state hard drive for fast booting up of the system and a large normal harddrive to store everything else on, it's a very solid PC.

47 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If you're able to stretch to £480, and don't mind it being second hand, this PC looks pretty good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gaming-pc-i7-4790-3-6GHZ-16GB-RAM-240SSD-2TB-HARD-DRIVE-23-3D-Ips-TFT-Screen/143088426294?hash=item2150bc1d36:g:8Z0AAOSwdHpcOfJ0

The processor in that might be 5 years old, but was a top of the line one at the time, and would make relatively easy work of FM19. It has a fairly decent graphics card in it too, that'll still run top line games coming out right now at solid medium graphics levels. That, plus 16GB RAM, and both a faster solid-state hard drive for fast booting up of the system and a large normal harddrive to store everything else on, it's a very solid PC.

Thanks Jordan.

Im abit wary or second hand PCs to be honest, been stung before and it didn’t last very long. I just miss being able to play, have bought cheap laptops in the past and got away with it, seems like that’s harder these days

edit: just seen it’s also pick up only in Bolton which wouldn’t be possible. Thanks for looking

Edited by Parkesy_uk

51 minutes ago, Parkesy_uk said:

Thanks Jordan.

Im abit wary or second hand PCs to be honest, been stung before and it didn’t last very long. I just miss being able to play, have bought cheap laptops in the past and got away with it, seems like that’s harder these days

edit: just seen it’s also pick up only in Bolton which wouldn’t be possible. Thanks for looking

Damn, missed the last part, sorry. It's just damn near impossible to get a PC that'll play games without going 2nd hand, really.

9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Damn, missed the last part, sorry. It's just damn near impossible to get a PC that'll play games without going 2nd hand, really.

Thanks Jordan, it certainly is on a budget such as mine! I’m so envious of you all playing right now, looks like 19/20 is the football manager season I retire from the game. I’ll not do a speech but to Cherno Samba, I owe you my career 

2 hours ago, Parkesy_uk said:

Thanks Jordan, it certainly is on a budget such as mine! I’m so envious of you all playing right now, looks like 19/20 is the football manager season I retire from the game. I’ll not do a speech but to Cherno Samba, I owe you my career 

I found this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Gaming-PC-Monitor-Bundle-Core-i7-Desktop-Computer-16GB-RAM-GTX-Windows-10/173448195262?hash=item2862516cbe:m:mEeS-KIVsvYY8EdghaL_wSg:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The processor is older, but I was still using a similar i7 processor from the same generation until I got my new PC at the end of last year, and it ran FM and most new games with no issues. With 8GB RAM, GTX 1050 Ti graphics card, and Windows 10 Home, it comes out to £463 with free postage, but you could tweak it more if you wanted, and it'd do FM fine, including more leagues/larger database and 3D.

Edited by JordanMillward_1

My budget is currently $400 USD.

I am looking to buy a second hand laptop. This is the specification:

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3450 @ 1.10GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics
4.0 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Can it run FM 2019? I will only be playing about 2 or 3 leagues simultaneously. Thanks.
Edited by Blanchflower1
added question mark

2 hours ago, Blanchflower1 said:

My budget is currently $400 USD.

I am looking to buy a second hand laptop. This is the specification:

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3450 @ 1.10GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics
4.0 GB of RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Can it run FM 2019? I will only be playing about 2 or 3 leagues simultaneously. Thanks.

Not a chance that could run any recent FM, sorry. The processor is only half as powerful as the bare minimum needed for FM.

What's your budget?

7 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Not a chance that could run any recent FM, sorry. The processor is only half as powerful as the bare minimum needed for FM.

What's your budget?

My budget is USD $400. The processor speed is actually 1.10GHz but the burst frequency is 2.20 GHz for the N3450.

Hello all,

could anyone advise.. 

i currently have a lenovo laptop with these specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 - 6200U CPU  @2.30GHz / 2.40 GHz 

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 M360 (Discrete/Hybrid)

Mem Ram 8gb

With this laptop the 3d match isnt the best, i even have to turn the crowd off, and sometimes when processing the game the laptop gets very noisy and can over heat when on low settings and 4 leagues installed so am thinking about upgrading to this: 

Product Description HP Pavilion Power 15-cb004na - 15.6" - Core i5 7300HQ - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - UK
Product Type Notebook
Operating System Win 10 Home 64-bit - English
Processor Intel Core i5 (7th Gen) 7300HQ / 2.5 GHz (3.5 GHz) / 6 MB Cache
Memory 8 GB DDR4 (1 x 8 GB)
Storage 256 GB - M.2 SSD NVMe
Optical Drive No optical drive
Display 15.6" WLED 1920 x 1080 / Full HD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Video Memory 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Input Device Imagepad
Keyboard Backlight Yes
Numeric Keypad Yes
Integrated Webcam Yes
Networking 802.11b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, Gigabit Ethernet
Battery 4-cell - up to 14 hours

If i upgraded is this a good laptop to go for its within my price range, would this manage fm for next 3 to 4 years without any problems when loading several leagues and being able to watch 3d in high settings? any feedback would be great thanks.. 

p.s have budget of £650

Edited by Gizmo85

7 hours ago, Blanchflower1 said:

My budget is USD $400. The processor speed is actually 1.10GHz but the burst frequency is 2.20 GHz for the N3450.

Yeh the burst frequency only kicks in if the processor is cool - so to speak - and FM is processor intensive, so it would run hot - so to speak. 

The more load the processor is under the slower it will run to protect it from overheating - so to speak.

Sorry just trying to use laymans terms for understanding.

6 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

Hello all,

could anyone advise.. 

i currently have a lenovo laptop with these specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 - 6200U CPU  @2.30GHz / 2.40 GHz 

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 M360 (Discrete/Hybrid)

Mem Ram 8gb

With this laptop the 3d match isnt the best, i even have to turn the crowd off, and sometimes when processing the game the laptop gets very noisy and can over heat when on low settings and 4 leagues installed so am thinking about upgrading to this: 

Product Description HP Pavilion Power 15-cb004na - 15.6" - Core i5 7300HQ - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - UK
Product Type Notebook
Operating System Win 10 Home 64-bit - English
Processor Intel Core i5 (7th Gen) 7300HQ / 2.5 GHz (3.5 GHz) / 6 MB Cache
Memory 8 GB DDR4 (1 x 8 GB)
Storage 256 GB - M.2 SSD NVMe
Optical Drive No optical drive
Display 15.6" WLED 1920 x 1080 / Full HD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Video Memory 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Input Device Imagepad
Keyboard Backlight Yes
Numeric Keypad Yes
Integrated Webcam Yes
Networking 802.11b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, Gigabit Ethernet
Battery 4-cell - up to 14 hours

If i upgraded is this a good laptop to go for its within my price range, would this manage fm for next 3 to 4 years without any problems when loading several leagues and being able to watch 3d in high settings? any feedback would be great thanks.. 

p.s have budget of £650

Yes, it's a much better laptop. 

This is even better though :)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

Hi Smurf,

Decided to take the plunge and buy a new laptop after missing the last 2 FM games.

I have been looking at the following as cheaper options.. Would you recommend either? I will be looking at playing with a large database with X4 English Divisions, La Liga & Serie A leagues at the very most.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-320-core-i7-7500u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-intel-620-windows-10-lap-80xl03qquk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-asus-fx503-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-15.6-inc-a1-90nr0gn1-m01620/version.asp

I am a bit of an amateur on laptop specs etc so any help would be appreciated or if there are any other models which you think would be a better option for the same kind of price range?

Thank you :)

Edited by Ross290783

15 minutes ago, Ross290783 said:

Hi Smurf,

Decided to take the plunge and buy a new laptop after missing the last 2 FM games.

I have been looking at the following as cheaper options.. Would you recommend either? I will be looking at playing with a large database with X4 English Divisions, La Liga & Serie A leagues at the very most.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-320-core-i7-7500u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-intel-620-windows-10-lap-80xl03qquk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-asus-fx503-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-15.6-inc-a1-90nr0gn1-m01620/version.asp

I am a bit of an amateur on laptop specs etc so any help would be appreciated or if there are any other models which you think would be a better option for the same kind of price range?

Thank you :)

The 2nd one if you must - but I posted one just above that is better.

Just now, Smurf said:

The 2nd one if you must - but I posted one just above that is better.

I had seen that just after I posted.. I will have a look into that one, thank you.

I was ideally looking for i7 rather than i5 but I'm guessing graphics are a more important factor?

24 minutes ago, Ross290783 said:

I had seen that just after I posted.. I will have a look into that one, thank you.

I was ideally looking for i7 rather than i5 but I'm guessing graphics are a more important factor?

Everyone always thinks getting an i7 will be better. The truth is they come in a lot of flavours. 

And I wouldn't steer you wrong with the i5 8300H - even if you wanted the i7-8750H - technically you'd think it would be better.

But for FM they nearly have the same performance level, only a slight increase.

And if you compare the i5 8300 H I posted with the i7  7700HQ 

As FM is still largely processed in the single thread - the gains from multi core are not really an advantage.

2130393499_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_49_13.thumb.png.8a46b12d9fa06b08116824d5de5102fd.png

But absolutely an i7 8750H would be better - but not that much better to make any real noticeable difference.

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yeh the burst frequency only kicks in if the processor is cool - so to speak - and FM is processor intensive, so it would run hot - so to speak. 

The more load the processor is under the slower it will run to protect it from overheating - so to speak.

Sorry just trying to use laymans terms for understanding.

Yes, it's a much better laptop. 

This is even better though :)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

thats great.. is save on laptops ok to buy from lol? am to used to currys and pc world

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Yeh perfectly fine

hi smurf i have went with this one that still a great option? its cheaper than one you posted but has same specs thank you so much 

HP Pavilion 17-ab405na Intel® Core™ i5 Processor, GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop - Black

Get ready to unleash your inner content-creating, media-craving, game-crushing potential, because this Pavilion Laptop was built to handle everything you’ve got.

With turbocharged performance you can go from immersive streaming sessions to lag-free photo editing, and do it all from wherever you want.

• Blue Tooth: Y
  • Depth: 41.6 CM
  • Display Size: 17.3in
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
  • 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
  • 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)
  • B&O PLAY, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost
  • HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
  • 1 HDMI 1.4
  • Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo
  • Graphics: Discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Hard Drive Storage: 1 Tb
  • Height: 2.99 CM
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cac
  • RAM Memory: 8 GB
  • Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Screen Type: Full HD IPS
  • Touch Screen: N
  • Width: 27.95 CM
  • Wifi Enabled: Y

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:55, Smurf said:

Yeh ssd for FM doesn't matter that much, so that's what I have a 128 ssd and the OS is loaded on that. 

Everything else is installed on the 1tb drive.

Hi Smurf

I bought the MSi laptop delivered today.

One ? probably stupid, you say load everything else onto 1tb

everytime I install fm19 sports interactive folder goes on ssd

How do I get it to go on 1tb drive?

Cheers

1 minute ago, Gizmo85 said:

hi smurf i have went with this one that still a great option? its cheaper than one you posted but has same specs thank you so much 

HP Pavilion 17-ab405na Intel® Core™ i5 Processor, GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop - Black

Get ready to unleash your inner content-creating, media-craving, game-crushing potential, because this Pavilion Laptop was built to handle everything you’ve got.

With turbocharged performance you can go from immersive streaming sessions to lag-free photo editing, and do it all from wherever you want.

• Blue Tooth: Y
  • Depth: 41.6 CM
  • Display Size: 17.3in
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
  • 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
  • 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)
  • B&O PLAY, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost
  • HP Wide Vision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
  • 1 HDMI 1.4
  • Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo
  • Graphics: Discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Hard Drive Storage: 1 Tb
  • Height: 2.99 CM
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cac
  • RAM Memory: 8 GB
  • Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Screen Type: Full HD IPS
  • Touch Screen: N
  • Width: 27.95 CM
  • Wifi Enabled: Y

That one should breeze through FM, nice pick!

Just now, thnigelfc said:

Hi Smurf

I bought the MSi laptop delivered today.

One ? probably stupid, you say load everything else onto 1tb

everytime I install fm19 sports interactive folder goes on ssd

How do I get it to go on 1tb drive?

Cheers

You can tell Steam where to install the game when you start the install for the main game: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

If you mean the Sports Interactive folder in My Documents, you can move it like this: 

Once the new folder is generated, you can delete the one on the SSD.

13 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

Yeh still good - graphics card I think is a little less good

Edited by Smurf

Hi guys, 

I'm keen to get back Into playing football manager, Haven't played it since about 2011/12 when my laptop became far to slow and old for the game.

Looking for a laptop that will run FM easily including the 3d match engine ( If this is possible in my price)  And also for doing office stuff/work on. 

I've got a budget of about £600 Which I could stretch a little if needed.  

Cheers. 

22 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

You can tell Steam where to install the game when you start the install for the main game: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

If you mean the Sports Interactive folder in My Documents, you can move it like this: 

Once the new folder is generated, you can delete the one on the SSD.

I still cannot get the folder to move.

I've copied the line you said but the path doesn't say users or anything like that,

I have this pc > data (d;)

and that's not working?

thanks

thnigelfc

14 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

I still cannot get the folder to move.

I've copied the line you said but the path doesn't say users or anything like that,

I have this pc > data (d;)

and that's not working?

thanks

thnigelfc

Hit up the Tech Support forum

On 12/02/2019 at 09:29, Jackandthebeanstalk said:

Hi guys, 

I'm keen to get back Into playing football manager, Haven't played it since about 2011/12 when my laptop became far to slow and old for the game.

Looking for a laptop that will run FM easily including the 3d match engine ( If this is possible in my price)  And also for doing office stuff/work on. 

Cheers. 

Anyone wanna help a brother out? 

Hey Smurf I have a budget of around £1500, I want to run a lot of leagues tbh, and for a relatively long time, I don't really care for graphics as I play on 2D, I was looking at the i9 9900 processor but I wasn't really sure what was worth the buck, maybe 10-15 leagues for reference, I would prefer a laptop although a desktop is completely okay, any help at all, even just spec recommendations would be very handy thanks a lot bud!

Morning All,

Hopefully a quick one for you tech guys, I've done by best to understand the OP and a brief google search.

I currently have a HP Notebook, Intel Pentium, 4GB Ram, HDD. FM19 runs ok but is laggy and I typically run run 9-10 leagues at a time and watch 3D highlights.

For a budget of around £600-700, would the below be one of the better options to run FM19 as per the above based mainly on speed of the game?

It's a HP Pavillion, i7-8550U, 8GB Ram, SSD. Storage is low but only have 140gb out of 1TB on my current one and if I could get a bigger screen great - but speed is key for me.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0505sa-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180942-pdt.html

Thanks in advance guys!

On 12/02/2019 at 14:29, Jackandthebeanstalk said:

Hi guys, 

Cheers. 

This is an excellent deal! And saves you some too :)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457791.html

7 hours ago, armoreddoom0 said:

Hey Smurf I have a budget of around £1500, I want to run a lot of leagues tbh, and for a relatively long time, I don't really care for graphics as I play on 2D, I was looking at the i9 9900 processor but I wasn't really sure what was worth the buck, maybe 10-15 leagues for reference, I would prefer a laptop although a desktop is completely okay, any help at all, even just spec recommendations would be very handy thanks a lot bud!

Think along the lines of fastest single core performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Completely overkill though for 10-15 leagues - depends on how long you want a career - after 100 years in the game the database is quite beefy so longer processing etc in that regard. File size is a lot larger. 

But if you're only playing for 10-20 seasons then a high end processor is completely wasteful - but if you have the money then why not, right.

Someone at SI I think it was @EdL is best positioned to answer your specific query on processors - but as far as I know Notebook Check is a good guide to the best processors

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

15 minutes ago, nffc1991 said:

Morning All,

Hopefully a quick one for you tech guys, I've done by best to understand the OP and a brief google search.

I currently have a HP Notebook, Intel Pentium, 4GB Ram, HDD. FM19 runs ok but is laggy and I typically run run 9-10 leagues at a time and watch 3D highlights.

For a budget of around £600-700, would the below be one of the better options to run FM19 as per the above based mainly on speed of the game?

It's a HP Pavillion, i7-8550U, 8GB Ram, SSD. Storage is low but only have 140gb out of 1TB on my current one and if I could get a bigger screen great - but speed is key for me.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0505sa-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180942-pdt.html

Thanks in advance guys!

Yeh it wouldn't be bad - any reason for the 14 inch?

See the link above for the Save On Laptops one from earlier, it's cheaper and better.

How would this run;

• Intel Core i7 7500U 2.7GHz
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB SSD Storage
  • 15.6 inch Full HD Screen
  • WiFi and Bluetooth
  • Windows 10 Home

I use no aspects of 3D at all. Every match I watch is in 2D. I plan to run say around 5/6 nations on large database.

32 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

How would this run;

• Intel Core i7 7500U 2.7GHz
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB SSD Storage
  • 15.6 inch Full HD Screen
  • WiFi and Bluetooth
  • Windows 10 Home

I use no aspects of 3D at all. Every match I watch is in 2D. I plan to run say around 5/6 nations on large database.

That amount of leagues on a large database could lead to a large number of players being without a club, I'd recommend a medium database for your case. 

How much is that laptop? The processor isn't great - but might be ok for what you want - there might be a better computer for the same budget 

55 minutes ago, Smurf said:

That amount of leagues on a large database could lead to a large number of players being without a club, I'd recommend a medium database for your case. 

How much is that laptop? The processor isn't great - but might be ok for what you want - there might be a better computer for the same budget 

Thanks for your reply mate. Could you elaborate on the bit in bold? I dont see any reason why I could not get away with medium database actually. 

Also, it is not actually an i7, it is an i5. It is the HP 250 G6 laptop. Due to a work discount I can get it at around £350. Would this suit me for FM?

Link below;

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1WY59EA&opt=ABU&sel=DEF

1 hour ago, shaunwwfc said:

Thanks for your reply mate. Could you elaborate on the bit in bold? I dont see any reason why I could not get away with medium database actually. 

Also, it is not actually an i7, it is an i5. It is the HP 250 G6 laptop. Due to a work discount I can get it at around £350. Would this suit me for FM?

Link below;

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1WY59EA&opt=ABU&sel=DEF

Large database would be a large amount of players. If you only have 5 or 6 leagues loaded where will al the players go? Clubs will fill their quota and the rest would be clubless.

I've posted better for £529 above on Save on Laptops.

12 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Large database would be a large amount of players. If you only have 5 or 6 leagues loaded where will al the players go? Clubs will fill their quota and the rest would be clubless.

I've posted better for £529 above on Save on Laptops.

So that is more of a game issue than system its ran on?

Thanks for the post on save on laptops

Would it be a fair assumption to make that if I run nothing in 3D on FM then a dedicated graphics card would not be needed?

What is the main difference (FM wise) between a "U" processor and a "H" or "HQ" processor ? Would a "H" in an 4th or 5th gen in i3 be better than a i7 7 gen "u"? Hope that makes sense!