How to open up the MLS

Just now, Ignats75 said:

Thats how it works in real life.  Why would you want to simuate the MLS and not follow MLS rostering and salary rules?

excuse me, but is your comment really needed? I'm very much aware how it works in real life

you're a snarky bunch. I expected it to function as it does in real life, why would it not? It should be obvious that I don't know how to use the editor to accomplish what I'm asking. Is there a manual or instructions for it?

I don't know if this will help the OP, but there is a major restructuring of USL underway and it will have tiers with promotion and relegation.  MLS will not be part of that structure, although many MLS teams will have reserve teams in the new USL.  Unfortunately the restructuring was not in time to make this database, but in time I assume it will be included.  In the meantime the Editors Hideaway and download forum has several people creating tiered leagues for North America, which may satisfy the OP.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

I don't know if this will help the OP, but there is a major restructuring of USL underway and it will have tiers with promotion and relegation.  MLS will not be part of that structure, although many MLS teams will have reserve teams in the new USL.  Unfortunately the restructuring was not in time to make this database, but in time I assume it will be included.  In the meantime the Editors Hideaway and download forum has several people creating tiered leagues for North America, which may satisfy the OP.

Yes, I can't wait until that gets fixed. I live in a USL Championship city, so we're very excited. I wasn't able to find anything with a new structure, but I'm mainly just wanting everything to stay the same minus the salary restrictions

9 minutes ago, Guthrie said:

You could have just opened with that.

you could have just dropped the attitude

I don't get it.  Why would you want to play in a **** league like MLS (compared to the bigger European and South American Leagues) if it wasn't to simulate it?  Its not like the quality of the average player in the league is something you would be missing otherwise.  I'm not trying to be snarky.  I truly don't understand the mindset,

1 hour ago, Ignats75 said:

I don't get it.  Why would you want to play in a **** league like MLS (compared to the bigger European and South American Leagues) if it wasn't to simulate it?  Its not like the quality of the average player in the league is something you would be missing otherwise.  I'm not trying to be snarky.  I truly don't understand the mindset,

give me a break, are you really asking that? There are so many leagues included in the game that are worse, so obviously people want to play them. Perhaps you should mind your business and let others play how they want to

But why wouldn't you want to play it within its rules?  Certainly Wil Trapp isn't driving the need to play MLS.  Experiencing the MLS is certainly a worthwhile league.  Hell, I just started an MLS save for the first time.  But the MLS has very unique rules.  Why wuldn't you want to experince it fully.  claiming Success in the MLS would be meaningless without using the rules.

1 minute ago, Ignats75 said:

But why wouldn't you want to play it within its rules?  Certainly Wil Trapp isn't driving the need to play MLS.  Experiencing the MLS is certainly a worthwhile league.  Hell, I just started an MLS save for the first time.  But the MLS has very unique rules.  Why wuldn't you want to experince it fully.  claiming Success in the MLS would be meaningless without using the rules.

why are you so concerned with what I want to do? Surely you have better things to think about, right?

2 hours ago, Ignats75 said:

I'm genuinely curious is all because it makes no sense to me.

I imagine for the same reason that people want to remove Brexit and other such things. You might like a team or a place and want to play a save there but not enjoy the restrictions as much as elsewhere. Or maybe play as a club that is lower down but by giving MLS promotion/relegation then you can build your favourite teams up like other parts of the world.

I mean, it's not just a game with varying numbers and rules. It can be fun to immerse yourself in the world and the club, and different people have different preferences.

6 hours ago, Cal585 said:

It can be fun to immerse yourself in the world and the club

Totally agree with this.  That's why I was surprised, because to me, if you are immersing yourself in the world, it would be by learning the eff'ed up rules that do exist in the MLS and play it that way.  It's why I  decided to play an MLS save for the first time, despite living 2 hours from an original team.  Until NBC in the USA changed their TV package, it was easier to watch Stoke CIty  on TV in CLeveland, Ohio than it was the Columbus Crew.  So, I know alot more about the EPL than I do the MLS.  Now that the Crew are apparently not relocating, I felt it was time to learn the players and teams more.  So I am learning all about the MLS and all its weird roster rules.

The difference between your example of Brexit scenarios and the MLS rules, is one is still in the future and a guess on how it will work.  The other one is and has been reality.

Got to love people massively flying off the handle, particularly when they bring up other people's attitude.

Anyway, it was answered in post 2.  Rebuild it in the editor.  And no, just like everything else, there is no guide.  Batter away at it and work it out.

Although for what it's worth, I'm part of the not understanding why you would remove it.  Only thing would be to play with the clubs involved, but putting a tedious vanilla structure (ooh, EPL 20 team 3-up, 3-down...thrilling...) onto it you may as well just replace club names with pictures of smiley faces for all it matters.  To each their own.

lol i am certainly not. you're being extremely antagonistic during this whole thread. I came here to ask a question and you hijacked the thread. why do you feel the need to impose your opinions on others? It's not being "curious" when you keep saying,"why would anyone want that". Go take a nap, old man.

13 hours ago, Ignats75 said:

The MLS rules do take some getting used to!  One thing I regret in the Football Manager world is not being able to play as the Glasgow Rangers since they spent themselves into bankruptcy, and the Rangers FC doesn't quite have the same cachet for me.  A few years back I used to drive two hours each way to watch the old NY Cosmos, with Pele, Beckenbauer, etc., in the original NASL, but that league went bankrupt.  Even MLS went through a rocky period at first, but now it is thriving, thanks at least in part to those weird rules.  The TV revenue and coverage has been growing substantially, which allows for more investment in infrastructure and players.  In 2018 the average attendance ranged from 12,447 for Columbus to 53,002 for Atlanta.  The league's rules allow all the teams to be competitive, so this year we see both Columbus and Atlanta competing in the playoffs for the MLS Cup.  This parity is important for US fans because each year their team has a realistic chance to go all the way.  Some of the high visibility foreign players that come to MLS remark that they see the parity as a good thing.  It will be some time before MLS teams can compete on equal terms with EPL teams, and we're still not able to reliably beat those pesky Mexican teams, but each year we do get a bit better.

• 1 month later...

Archived