i wouldnt class it as theft if i myself have a retail version of FM09 and only install it 1/5 times, and install a pirated version on 3 other machines, making it 4/5

each to there own, i see it differantly as im not affiliated with SI...

if it didnt have DRM, i could install it on all 4 machines without a thought

You're an idiot then. I'm done being polite with people who think it's acceptable to download something for free when all other law abiding people pay the retail price.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a way this whole thing is not so good

Say on the 12th, a parent, unaware about what this whole authentication stuff, sees the game and goes "My son wants this game, lets get it as a surprise", then the parent comes home, the kid puts it in, then finds out it is unplayable, gets miserable, and has to look at the box taunting it

Putting it to the 14th for me is unfair, but a drastic method to try to stop piracy, even though it probably will not work. :|

You're an idiot then. I'm done being polite with people who think it's acceptable to download something for free when all other law abiding people pay the retail price.

did you read my post saying i have bought the game ? if i bought one copy of FM09 and then 6 months later it got locked im sorry but i dont think i should be forced to go out and buy said game again,

people have differant opinion's however i wont lower myself to calling you an idiot as i dont even know you and nor do you know me, funnily enough i also work in the games industry and dislike DRM,

how dare i have an opinion.

Say on the 12th, a parent, unaware about what this whole authentication stuff, sees the game and goes "My son wants this game, lets get it as a surprise", then the parent comes home, the kid puts it in, then finds out it is unplayable, gets miserable, and has to look at the box taunting it

Putting it to the 14th for me is unfair, but a drastic method to try to stop piracy, even though it probably will not work. :|

Then the parent just has to deal with the disappointment. Tough tits, frankly. Life is full of disappointment. But I really can't understand the argument that says it is SI's fault if the vendor breaks the release date agreement. If vendors stuck to the agreement, no-one would suffer any disappointment.

I just hope the servers can cope with the demand on the 14th. If not then there will be alot of ****ed off people on here.

No its not unfair, si/sega say game to be released on 14th AND im sure it will say on the box in some sort of small print about the authentication stuff, just like on farcry 2.

my son was told at football this morning that pirate copies are already available,but the copy this guy was playing stop working after season 2011/12?

No, theres a few standard images floating around but nothing has been cracked yet. hehe, Borrowed my mates macbook to have a bash on, picking game up later, can mac save games be transferred to pc?

did you read my post saying i have bought the game ? if i bought one copy of FM09 and then 6 months later it got locked im sorry but i dont think i should be forced to go out and buy said game again,

people have differant opinion's however i wont lower myself to calling you an idiot as i dont even know you and nor do you know me, funnily enough i also work in the games industry and dislike DRM,

how dare i have an opinion.

Some people have a racist opinion on ethnic minorities. I'd call them idiots too. :thup: I'm not a fan of DRM either, but I'm even less of a fan of piracy which is killing the games industry more than DRM. This form of DRM isn't even particularly invasive. People just use it as a convenient excuse to steal media by downloading illegally tbh.

as i said i have a retail copy of FM 09 which im allowed to install 5 times, i dont fancy one of those being killed VIA a format or pc crash ect, especially accross 4 machines, i have still paid my money to the games studio, DRM maynot be invasive but its like owning an xbox 360 and saying if it crashed / had a power cut 5 times it would lock and have to buy a new one..

the studios would have uproar no doubt if the software they used to code these games, vis studio, max ect would have DRM, that i would love to see...

why ?

its a horrible form of copy protection, which all in all doesnt protect much as its still easy to pirate, so other than punish legit buyers it doesnt really do much

Some people have a racist opinion on ethnic minorities. I'd call them idiots too. :thup: I'm not a fan of DRM either, but I'm even less of a fan of piracy which is killing the games industry more than DRM. This form of DRM isn't even particularly invasive. People just use it as a convenient excuse to steal media by downloading illegally tbh.

BUT HE HAS BOUGHT THE GAME LEGALLY. Christ. SI really have some of you wound up like Jack in the Boxes.

BUT HE HAS BOUGHT THE GAME LEGALLY. Christ. SI really have some of you wound up like Jack in the Boxes.

Er, just to let you know, SI aren't the first company to do this, and my views haven't changed one iota in light of SI doing it, so SI haven't wound me up at all. hope that helps.

did you read my post saying i have bought the game ? if i bought one copy of FM09 and then 6 months later it got locked im sorry but i dont think i should be forced to go out and buy said game again,.

So, if piracy wasn't an option, would you walk into a shop and steal it? After all, that's UR RIGHT INNIT.

Bad games are killing the gaming industry, not piracy.

So many examples of games that sell without ANY form of protection on them.

Wii games sell in their bucketload - there have been modchips for them for ages

XBOX360 games sell in their bucket load, again probably the most pirated console on the market (maybe PS2)

Good PC games sell in their bucketload, piracy is easy on PCs

Im not sure how you think piracy is killing the games industry without having any proof whatsoever. The more you advertise a product as being anti pirate, uncrackable etc the more crackers will jump on it to prove you wrong.

Spore ended up being pirated so much BECAUSE of the anti piracy measures in the game. and for the people who pirated it, the incentive to BUY a copy was to be able to move planets get online content etc etc, but because the game was such a pile of poo the people who pirated it didnt buy it because the extra content meant nothing as it was STILL a crap game.

Great games will sell regardless, and people who pirate games wouldnt buy them in the first place, either because they dont have the money to buy game after game after game, or simply because they wouldnt buy it in the first place

Agreed. People throwing fits about the DRM are a bit suspicious. If you have a computer then surely you have easy access to a phone or the internet. It's moronic to complain about the DRM IF you are a paying customer.

Yeah, whatever mate, you're flying around these forums spouting your nonsense, calling people idiots. I think it's you who need help...er... son.

I called one person an idiot. Frankly he deserved it. I'm just a bit astonished that people think it's acceptable to defend piracy! Don't call me son - you're younger than me ffs!

if piracy wasnt an option i would have to use 4/5 installs up and hope i didnt have a disaster, i own the licence to run the software on 5 differant machines, i will do that.

i cant take anyone seriously who calls me an iditot wihtout knowing me and then proceeds to try and put his point accross using text speak and caps lock.

if piracy wasnt an option i would have to use 4/5 installs up and hope i didnt have a disaster, i own the licence to run the software on 5 differant machines, i will do that.

i cant take anyone seriously who calls me an iditot wihtout knowing me and then proceeds to try and put his point accross using text speak and caps lock.

I was taking the mick with the text speak and caps. FFS! :rolleyes:

Agreed. People throwing fits about the DRM are a bit suspicious. If you have a computer then surely you have easy access to a phone or the internet. It's moronic to complain about the DRM IF you are a paying customer.

I find that offensive. But I'll let it go as you obviously don't really know why people hate DRM. If you think it's just about phone and internet access then you need to do a bit more reading.

XBOX360 games sell in their bucket load, again probably the most pirated console on the market (maybe PS2)

Im not sure how you think piracy is killing the games industry without having any proof whatsoever. The more you advertise a product as being anti pirate, uncrackable etc the more crackers will jump on it to prove you wrong.

Spore ended up being pirated so much BECAUSE of the anti piracy measures in the game. and for the people who pirated it, the incentive to BUY a copy was to be able to move planets get online content etc etc, but because the game was such a pile of poo the people who pirated it didnt buy it because the extra content meant nothing as it was STILL a crap game.

Great games will sell regardless, and people who pirate games wouldnt buy them in the first place, either because they dont have the money to buy game after game after game, or simply because they wouldnt buy it in the first place

OK then, simple question.

Which does more to harm to the games industry - piracy or DRMs?

I also agree with you... I would rather see more quality products out on the market instead of games build on the same formulas over and over again. First person shooters with bulk characters in heavy armor zapping aliens with laser guns spring to mind.

Not at all, people just dont like being TOLD what they can and cant do with a product they have bought, maybe its an anti - authority thing. I dont think there would be a problem if all you had to do was authenticate it online or over the phone, but I think people are more miffed at only being able to install it 5 times, Now I know you get the installs back if you uninstall it, but some people wont listen to that and are blinkered to the fact it says you only have 5 installs.

Fallout for example, on the PC had no copy protection at all. Its sold really well, on teh fact its an amazing game. I know people who pirated it, saw that you couldn't use its 'Achivements' (like the 360 ones) without buying teh game, and went out and bought it, on the back of playing a pirate copy.

The only thing DRM does in my eyes is annoy people who pay for there products. It can cause all sorts of problems, and stop games working when they should, while the pirate version with the DRM removed just works without any messing.

I find that offensive. But I'll let it go as you obviously don't really know why people hate DRM. If you think it's just about phone and internet access then you need to do a bit more reading.

I'm lazy... spell it out for me.

This form of DRM isnt a problem whatsoever. Every uninstall, you get an install back. There is no problem there. If you want FM on 10 machines, you have to buy another copy - 0.01% of people will be in this situation and even then I think they'll understand its fair.

Yes, the authentication is annoying (but I like the idea of playing without CD) so I suggest the authentication process makes it CLEARLY the retailers fault for illegally selling the game early. Blame where it's due.

The 14th is the day the patch is meant to be released, therefore most of us wouldnt wish to start career games until that date. Funnily enough, this is the actual release day ;) If you want to muck about with the game early, use the demo.

SI have to do something against piracy, it is truly awful on the PC platform and they are already missing out on a lot of money with the amount of dodgy copies that come out every year. They only have to investigate new measures like this because some people opt to steal from others.

Once you've activated the game - you need not worry about it anymore. I dont call that a major hassle.

If you want to play it in 10 years - I'm sure the phone activation and/or online activation wont be around. At that point I would imagine there to be an official patch that unlocks the game. Either way I'm sure you'd be able to play it 10 years from now.

i suggest you re read the posts, the argument wasnt about activation but about the amount of times you activate it..

if i have bought a £30 copy of FM09, i will install it once on my main machine, i would then use "non DRM versions" of the game on 3 other of my machines within my house hold, thus totalling to 4/5 licenses

in my opinion i think that is fair as i dont want to lose any of my DRM activations, especially as i will own the game for many years.

This form of DRM isnt a problem whatsoever. Every uninstall, you get an install back. There is no problem there. If you want FM on 10 machines, you have to buy another copy - 0.01% of people will be in this situation and even then I think they'll understand its fair.

but if your pc crashes or is formatted without FM being uninstalled correctly you lose one of your licences, hardly fair

picotto - its hard to counter argue unless you make it a little more clear as to why you want to install on multiple machines (which you can anyway). Do you live in a huge property that involves driving a scooter from one end of the house to another and you like to be able to play FM when in the kitchen or miles away in the guests living room?

Oh, and having an online account (Wow, FML) isnt the only true way to stop piracy. There is no such thing. Should such practise (online accounts) become more common, efforts would go into 'fixing' that situation I'm sure.

I called one person an idiot. Frankly he deserved it. I'm just a bit astonished that people think it's acceptable to defend piracy! Don't call me son - you're younger than me ffs!

I'm sorry, son, but what are you basing your facts on that piracy is killing the game industry? The remarks of developers and publishers like SI? Read something non-biased, something based in fact and value. Then you will see, sonny. Hell, just read what some of the people are saying in this thread. You're set in your ways, you have your standpoint and you won't listen to anyone else. You just like to call people idiots who disagree with you. It's not good practice, son.

The two are linked I think so how can you answer it, I think recent DRM protection is causing the people who are on the edge of pirating software (people who do buy games but are aware of where to get there hands on pirated software) to download illegal copies that circumvent the DRM.

I believe that if EVERY game has intrusive DRM (not so much SIs version, as long as 3 months down the line its not revealed that the protection stores or sends personal data out, but spore type DRM) then you would see a MASSIVE increase in piracy. So to answer your question, Piracy harms the games industry more than DRM, but DRM is causing people to pirate games (certainly recent titles people who may not normally pirate software to download illegally)

I think if you did away with the DRM and including basic copy protection (IE cd key to play online etc, you would see a decrease in piracy (certainly a drop from recent figures) But without knowing exactly how many copies are pirated against copies that are sold you will never be able to tell.

for example i have 2 machines, 2 laptops, if one of those machines crashed, hardware failed causing and OS reinstall, or format, fault with hard drive, loooooads of issues of why you couldnt uninstall the game to save a licence, accross 4 machines this will happen at some point..

why should you only have 5 activations, i just dont agree with it at all, DRM is plain crap, it doesnt stop the game being pirated at all, it will be released in 24 hours so nothing has changed,

i thought spore pretty much proved that

but if your pc crashes or is formatted without FM being uninstalled correctly you lose one of your licences, hardly fair

Maybe my problem in understanding this is that I don't agree with the reasons for DRM being such a hassle. I really don't see any issues. Besides these are the rules that SI have put out for you. If you disagree with those rules then don't buy the game. I don't want to go into a argumenting this opinion throwing around fancy metaphores -Since I'm in casual mode right now I can't be bothered. I just think it's childish and greedy to throw fits over this.

I'm sorry, son, but what are you basing your facts on that piracy is killing the game industry? The remarks of developers and publishers like SI? Read something non-biased, something based in fact and value. Then you will see, sonny. Hell, just read what some of the people are saying in this thread. You're set in your ways, you have your standpoint and you won't listen to anyone else. You just like to call people idiots who disagree with you. It's not good practice, son.

FFS stop calling me son, you're like three years younger than me. Please, stop calling me son. I don't like being called "son", for reasons I'd rather not go into. I'm asking nicely. :)

Actually, I'm all for healthy debate - and as it goes, I'm not pro DRM either. The only person I called an idiot was the guy who said he'd pirate the game (and even then I may have misread his post in fairness - I might have to apologise there). Piracy is NOT acceptable. Under any circumstances. If you disagree, fair enough, but that's the only thing I'm getting heated about - the other things I disagree with are fine, and I'm not getting heated. For those that are arguing (implicitly if not explicitly) that piracy is acceptable because of DRM, I don't think the message board of a games developer is an appropriate place to put that particular POV across.

I think if you did away with the DRM and including basic copy protection (IE cd key to play online etc, you would see a decrease in piracy (certainly a drop from recent figures) But without knowing exactly how many copies are pirated against copies that are sold you will never be able to tell.

Hmm, I doubt it. Not sure if you were playing games around the Amiga era? Games with such basic 'copy protection' were handed around like sweets. Things are a little more awkward now and a lot of people cannot be bothered to get hold of cracked games, or certainly have more fear as to what they would do to their machines should they contain a virus etc. You and I, and most people on this forum, would know what to do - but we've kind of grown up with all this.

Some companies have said reduced or zero copy protection saw an increase in their sales. However I think they sell to the kind of people that get annoyed by piracy protection measures. That is not the same audience for every game.

picotto - thats a bit of a far out scenario though isnt it? Lets say you get 5 machines installed with your copy of FM, all of them explode. I'd class that as pretty bad luck to be honest. Likely to happen? No. Next you'll be telling me you live at the bottom of a volcano or something. Come on, in all fairness I think you'd be quite safe no?

GillsMan - Sorry, I had to check your profile to see how old you were. Not in a stalker kind of way.

no but over 1-2 years it wouldnt be unheard of maybe a computer problem and a reformat, if that happened twice in 2 years i would need to buy a new copy or only have it installed on 3 machines...

and my main point is what has it done ? nothing, owners of the game have restrictions and the pirates still pirate the game 5-6 days before release ?

pointless.

Hmm, I doubt it. Not sure if you were playing games around the Amiga era? Games with such basic 'copy protection' were handed around like sweets. Things are a little more awkward now and a lot of people cannot be bothered to get hold of cracked games, or certainly have more fear as to what they would do to their machines should they contain a virus etc. You and I, and most people on this forum, would know what to do - but we've kind of grown up with all this.

Some companies have said reduced or zero copy protection saw an increase in their sales. However I think they sell to the kind of people that get annoyed by piracy protection measures. That is not the same audience for every game.

I personally think its because they have a good product that comes with no hassle whatsoever.

If a game is very good and people want to play with their friends online, they will go out and buy a copy and get a key to play online, if its a heavily based single player game, then SIs online activation isnt a bad way to go, Im not advocating piracy, just putting my opinion across in why people do not like DRM and arguing the case really. for some compaines to come out and say biased things, like piracy is killing them and DRM is the best way to go etc, I dont believe either statement is 100% true, so I will put my opinion in

no but over 1-2 years it wouldnt be unheard of maybe a computer problem and a reformat, if that happened twice in 2 years i would need to buy a new copy or only have it installed on 3 machines...

and my main point is what has it done ? nothing, owners of the game have restrictions and the pirates still pirate the game 5-6 days before release ?

pointless.

That bit I certainly agree with you on. I certainly agree that DRM is pointless. It doesn't work - it seems like you can pirate anything these days. I don't really blame companies for trying to protect their games, (and SI's DRM isn't as bad as other forms) but the sooner companies look to other ways to discourage piracy and protect their revenues, the better. I've already suggested what I think should be done loads of times, so I won't repeat it again!

Over 2-4 years maybe... that is fair. Thing is, wouldnt you be on the next version? Or at least one of the new versions of FM? It's not a common scenario with this form of DRM, to find yourself stuck. At least I really dont imagine it to be... I know its your copy of the game and all, but you are picking at something that is unlikely. Ultimately I'm sure there are ways around this. Customer support? I wonder what the deal is with 'Five installs, five machine explosions' whether or not Customer Support would be able to help in any way... hmm.

I do believe it does something - your average consumer is unlikely to be passing their copy of the game around to other people so easily. Common piracy is quite big. I reckon Sega have looked into the situation and the end result wont affect 99% of us.

i work in a gaming store, we have specific orders to release the game on the 14th. maybe it could be the 13th, but only after notification of our HQ. I got the copy at a local store at a 3min walk from my store. Directly contacted our HQ. But releasedate still is the 14th.

Well... i got an original game... but cann't play it... then i have to reschedule my day off :)

thanks for the information....

play the demo AGAIN :) another savegame.....

You see this is what really get's my goat, people who moan about the game , when i doubt they've even looked at it in detail and completely disregard the work that the producers have put into actually making the game for us, the retailer. Miles and the others, sorry don't know your names, have put in countless hours of work to make sure that they release the demo and the full game on time to certain specifications. They haven't failed from my recolection in 5 years of FM'ing. Miles even said in his recent blog that some members of the team had been up since 4am in the morning, with shifts the next day from 9am in the morning.

How would you feel to be told that despite losing sleep, literally, the game wasn't good enough without at least explaining the problems or at least giving a decent reason to why it's not playable. You sitting there saying that you simply can't play it doesn't help the game develop, it hinders it because they rely on customer feedback to add to the game and make it better for next years release. So for god sake at least state why you don't think it's playable.

I'm not saying that you don't have a voice and that we should just accept rubbish games when they are made but some people give no regard to the work they put in and are totally ignorant in what they say. I for one would like to thank SI for making the game for the past 5 years and to keep up the good work.

To be honest I have been 'FM'ing' for well over 10 years now and I do think they have failed with certain versions.

They are a company like all others and what they do is based on profit. It's the same with any software project. The team works to a specific deadline which much be met. This may include the occassional all nighter but all are well rewarded afterwards.

I don't think praising them at all costs is the way to go, either is slagging them off. Constructive criticism is good though and I have seen plenty of it in other forums regarding the buggy demo.

I personally think its because they have a good product that comes with no hassle whatsoever.

If a game is very good and people want to play with their friends online, they will go out and buy a copy and get a key to play online, if its a heavily based single player game, then SIs online activation isnt a bad way to go, Im not advocating piracy, just putting my opinion across in why people do not like DRM and arguing the case really. for some compaines to come out and say biased things, like piracy is killing them and DRM is the best way to go etc, I dont believe either statement is 100% true, so I will put my opinion in

What hassle though? Its not really a hassle to install the game, have it authenticate online and if you want an install back, to uninstall it correctly. I think piracy has been knocking the PC industry for years and years and nobody has come up with a decent way to solve that (without it affecting the consumer in a negative way). Lots of developers could make better games, that'd be a start and one we seem to agree on.

Rubbish games do not often sell well (unless it has a license or massive marketing spend), piracy or no piracy. Developers can often fall into the trap of blaming piracy for low sales figures when really they have no idea whether this is the case for them or not.

Probably both I would say. People don't want DRM on their product, yet companies still do it knowing fully it will get cracked by someone anyway. More often than not the DRM used can cause problems, or worst case scenario, harm the users computer! It all depends on what system is used, but to me and many others DRM is still DRM no matter. A lot of people won't buy because of the DRM used, Spore is a good and fresh example. I would not be afraid to bet on that SI/SEGA would sell at least just as many copies of FM even if they chose not to put any form of DRM on their game. I would also bet my money on that the game would likely sell even more copies if they came out and said that their game is completely DRM free. Why not try it one year and we will have proof once and for all I guess what really hurts the most...

the most stupidest comment ever like many take HUGE offence.

not everybody who hate drm are on trying to pirate trip as you think. I have BOUGHT all games and EVERY VERSION of Football manager (championship manager previous name).

I HATE DRM and equally hate whats happening with the internet on PHORM but thats another massive issue the way we are getting targeted.

Its like they are invading our privacy. Would you leave the door open so people could look around see what you have then target you junk

DRM is another evil system and just found the DEMO was DRM'd did Si bother to tell us NO.

What else are they not telling us. The fact we are being told we keep our seats if we install actually leads to them expecting windows plays ball. Those who Know computing will tell you Windows has as much reliability as the old russian poluters was to the environment.

You cant trust windows to do as its told remove things properly even if you look after it. It can even crash and need re-stalling without ever getting the chance to un-install. These can be from maliscious codes like viruses or harware failure.

Why SHOULD PAYING customers suffer from no fault of there own. I have no problems they give us 5 end users licences thats quite nice of them to do so but we should not lose seats if we cant un-install or change hardware.

the most stupidest comment ever like many take HUGE offence.

not everybody who hate drm are on trying to pirate trip as you think. I have BOUGHT all games and EVERY VERSION of Football manager (championship manager previous name).

I HATE DRM and equally hate whats happening with the internet on PHORM but thats another massive issue the way we are getting targeted.

Its like they are invading our privacy. Would you leave the door open so people could look around see what you have then target you junk

DRM is another evil system and just found the DEMO was DRM'd did Si bother to tell us NO.

What else are they not telling us. The fact we are being told we keep our seats if we install actually leads to them expecting windows plays ball. Those who Know computing will tell you Windows has as much reliability as the old russian poluters was to the environment.

You cant trust windows to do as its told remove things properly even if you look after it. It can even crash and need re-stalling without ever getting the chance to un-install. These can be from maliscious codes like viruses or harware failure.

Why SHOULD PAYING customers suffer from no fault of there own. I have no problems they give us 5 end users licences thats quite nice of them to do so but we should not lose seats if we cant un-install or change hardware.

We dont have 5 end users licence, we have one licence that we can use personally 5 times

I'm little bit confused about the activation of FM2009. I'd like to install my (so far only pre-ordered) copy on my home desktop and on my laptop as well (lectures at school are sometimes soooo long) :D Is that correct that I would need to activate my game twice on both machines or will it even work on two separate machines ? Hope you guys understand my problem. Thanks in advice.

All I can say is that this is done with the best of intentions for you.

Such bs.

How does DRM help the player who's bought the game early because a retailer sold it early?

It doesn't.

The only reason this sort of activation exists is to stop piracy. Saying anything less than that makes it look like you think your customers are dumb.

Such bs.

How does DRM help the player who's bought the game early because a retailer sold it early?

It doesn't.

The only reason this sort of activation exists is to stop piracy. Saying anything less than that makes it look like you think your customers are dumb.

i dont know much about DRM but what i thinks a bit sad is where we can only use it 5 times(i understand about they reason they done it)but what happens if somethink goes wrong then we use up all 5 times on on pc do we have to buy a new copy again more money you canb see the going on and on for some people tho

i dont know much about DRM but what i thinks a bit sad is where we can only use it 5 times(i understand about they reason they done it)but what happens if somethink goes wrong then we use up all 5 times on on pc do we have to buy a new copy again more money you canb see the going on and on for some people tho

It's pretty rare to be honest that something goes so wrong on the PC that you can't uninstall before reformatting. If you uninstall it gives you back an install.

Archived