[FM 18] If You're Not First, You're Last (Re-Redux) - Redemption for the "Nearly Men" of Europe

ManUtd1

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

His path to the job was an odd one, too. Leaving Derby for Palace...who he left for QPR...who he left for Bristol City...who he left for Watford...who sacked him.  Got sacked by West Brom.  Then 2 years back at Derby, before taking  over the national team.  Seemed to be always looking out for something "better."

7a836f7724509b84d448a4a7cc4954ce.png 

Thats him all over. Not quite sure what the Stoke/Brummie contingent is on here but thats pure Rowett. When he gets the job its his dream job, cons the fans into loving him, then leaves them in the sh*t when he spies more money.

Out of interest whats your record like against him?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Thats him all over. Not quite sure what the Stoke/Brummie contingent is on here but thats pure Rowett. When he gets the job its his dream job, cons the fans into loving him, then leaves them in the sh*t when he spies more money.

Out of interest whats your record like against him?

Definitely looks like the path he's taken in-game!

Our paths have rarely crossed.  I've won 2 from 2, both matches from the 2038/39 Premier League season.

f2cb18ae79d338ab4c02b71af00fc8f3.png

6 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Definitely looks like the path he's taken in-game!

Our paths have rarely crossed.  I've won 2 from 2, both matches from the 2038/39 Premier League season.

f2cb18ae79d338ab4c02b71af00fc8f3.png

You have to wonder whats gone wrong when a Derby fan is pleased to see his team lose to Dirty Leeds...

4 hours ago, OJ403 said:

You have to wonder whats gone wrong when a Derby fan is pleased to see his team lose to Dirty Leeds...

Or when a United supporter gleefully takes Dirty Leeds into the Champions League...

:ackter:

2 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Or when a United supporter gleefully takes Dirty Leeds into the Champions League...

:ackter:

Something I could never do

Phil Jones is more likely to score a penalty past Scott Carson than me ever manage Leeds

7 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Phil Jones is more likely to score a penalty past Scott Carson than me ever manage Leeds

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, rodesire said:

I see Belgium opened up!

Combined with Brugge could be a fun 5-7 years

Agreed completely! Belgium has so much untapped potential...

I'm bringing sexy back...

XWpz.gif

Leeds United / Netherlands -- November 2042

Casillas pulled me aside tonight, after we beat France in Amsterdam and secured passage to the Nations League semifinal.  He's having money trouble.  He wouldn't explain it fully, just muttered something about "currency arbitrage."

Zlatan tells me he's been seeing a British woman, the sister of one of our supporters -- that hooligan, Bob, or something... It's a bad crowd.

Regardless, Iker is a friend in need.  Even if his current grooming and fashion habits leave him looking and smelling like a washed-up Ricky Martin.  He doesn't want a loan, and prefers to call it an "investment opportunity."  He won't explain.  But he's a friend.  So I "invest" with him...what's a friend to do?

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

c55067aaf75b85d76144bf84454b9d69.png 01e5e244b92f34cb1cfcdb8e3cf45d66.png 

9175ebed685f2e180e669ee1daf4f3cd.png 6d63b292bd19b4d2c7282f3f9e84dc43.png

Edited by ManUtd1

You've made great progress since I last posted, and Leicester City have turned into a European superpower.:cool:  Such a shame Nagelsmann left, to be replaced by Guardiola.  Things don't seem to have been as good since then.

As you've been hinting, you definitely need to get to France or Spain next because of the dominance of PSG and Real Madrid.

8 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Surprised to see Burnley doing so well. :eek: What's the tactic looking like these days? Are you still sticking with winger- and strikerless? 

Since joining Leeds, I've primarily been playing a tactic I call PM Drakens Blod as the default.  I recently switched over to PM Grapefrukt Diarre as the counter/backup tactic.  I'm using these same tactics with the Netherlands.

Strikerless, but with wide attacking midfielders:

97c128d29280d79a2e51b795c7e87bc5.png 896ab5326da20c73211ccd92c94364dc.png 

4 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

You've made great progress since I last posted, and Leicester City have turned into a European superpower.:cool:  Such a shame Nagelsmann left, to be replaced by Guardiola.  Things don't seem to have been as good since then.

As you've been hinting, you definitely need to get to France or Spain next because of the dominance of PSG and Real Madrid.

Thanks, man!

Definitely been an issue since Pep the Bald took over. Luuk de Jong and Daniel Christensen couldn't right the ship. Lukas Rupp is now in charge. 

I love that they're now playing in a 57.5k stadium named after Ranieri -- seems fitting.

Their attack is insane, too, with Ristov (who some may remember from my Gladbach side), Neyra and Pinto (from my Portugal side).  They beat me to signing Farquhar, though...brilliant Scottish midfielder.

37eeb6019e1cdfc2aa40070552c053e6.jpg 096f3c0bc96f2850f4a1b3d4bad23ed9.png 

c807128979fed5dfb270b4314bd0215a.png 6ddb9af84fa55757c65a04cc53b18f6d.png 04f055d03e27bb9e8f62ab5fa5b46c46.png 5bd4475df7443ede38c16fb8d19d6dad.png 

Edited by ManUtd1

The club isn't pleased.  Iker is distracted while in Amsterdam and abroad...which we've certainly noticed.  But it is now having a tangible effect on his obligations to the club.  

I told Zlatan to sort it out yesterday, and he apparently confronted Casillas.  Iker agreed..but asked Zlatan for a favor...instead of flying back to Leeds for our run of matches over New Year's, Iker asked Zlatan to drive his girlfriend's Mercedes back to England, on the Amsterdam-Newcastle ferry.  "Simple trip, mate.  I'll make it worth your while."

"But the Zlatan does not like the ferry."

"Would 15k in pure cheddar make you want it a bit more?"

"The Zlatan does not eat cheese, you know this."  

"Not...just....cash.  Not cheese."

"The Zlatan does not get out of bed for 15k, in any currency.  Except ZlatanBucks.  Those are invaluable."

"Ehhh...how about 30?"

"50."

"35?"

"60."

"That's not how you negotiate, Zlatan!"

"It is how the Zlatan negotiates.  Do you want the Zlatan to go 70?, because--"

"--no, no.  Fine.  60."

"Deal.  It is nice doing business with the Zlatan, yes?"

60 thousand, to drive a car onto a ferry?  Something isn't right here.  Zlatan told me not to worry...so I'm most definitely worried.

836dd90de9474f341f87dd9398244f7e.png 

Edited by ManUtd1

4 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

What happened to Red Star??? :eek:

Fortress Belgrade happened.  They got 2 massive wins at home after winning away to Zenit.  

While Partizan continue to dominate domestically, Red Star and Cukaricki have done relatively well in Europe.  The Super Liga is ranked above the top tiers in Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands, Turkey, Russia, etc.

c489a1b67cd983f45e2d1a034484e5ce.png 

27862f36dc4e7daab311e7fe9de3beff.png 

I'm bringing sexy back...

RdUAUBm.gif

Leeds United / Netherlands -- March 2043

The final whistle blows.  Eddie Howe's Real Madrid are eliminated, 4-2 on aggregate.  We're six points clear in the League, having already claimed the Community Shield and Carabao Cup.  We've got the tools to fight on all 3 remaining fronts...even if the sheer number of matches feels overwhelming at times.

Focus, lads.  Immortality awaits.

bef0d4f8f4396e0f5bba4902da8a6d50.jpg 47edfc18c624ff5102c2c9d8b5727b6f.jpg

6993cb828bed996d83024dde42564f25.png 9063559238bc07ab309ae0232d010b0e.png

5485c54539e5063941ab574b12abe144.png

Elland Road was a seething cauldron of hote, welcoming Ronaldo for the first leg.  Inflatable sheep wearing his jersey, with his face plastered on...everywhere.  And, by comparison, that was the intellectual banter of the evening.  I can't in good conscience explain what else was going on...and when we laid into Nantes, I've never heard the Yorkshire faithful so loud.

Afterwards, Zlatan and Iker demanded that we celebrate, even though we have 90 minutes to play next week in Brittany.  We agreed, but insisted on no alcohol, an early night, etc...

"Boss, you need to celebrate."

"Iker, we're only halfway there, with a match away to Cardiff in less than 72 hours."

"Just a little gathering, Boss, that's all.  You, me, Drake, Zlatan...just like old times.  I've got some friends who want to meet you."

"Old times?  You weren't part of the old times, Iker.  While we were in Germany, Italy...you were here.  In f***ing Yorkshire."

"That's not the point, Boss--"

"--and, friends?  I don't...just...we don't have the time or the energy for this."

"You've been single for far too long, Boss.  Come on, live a little."

As much as I hate to admit it, Iker is right.

9acd3adb6b3ecd03d3a25bf41275bfb5.jpg 

Our concentration slipped in Brittany, but we had done more than enough in the 1st leg.  I'm disappointed in the squad, but we have...

No.  That's not right.  Truth be told, I'm disappointed in myself.  I let Iker distract me...and Adela is delightful.  We don't speak a language in common, but we've found a way to communicate.  I just don't know why she keeps texting with Iker, I mean...he's protective of her, like an older brother, but this seems to have gone a bit far.  

Back to the football...Adela is heading back to Slovakia to visit with family for a few days.  We're 8 points clear with 4 to play...in the FA Cup and Champions League semifinals.  

0858d1bb2d8cf2aad306411e5b7e45f2.jpg 

5fac44c98b4dc6e9a6fa3f0fa147548f.png

9655ef28f3a78cc2ba38904d2a02f1a6.png

An emphatic win.  We're through.  2 finals to play.  Immortality awaits.

Adela was here to see it.  Although I don't understand why she insists on taking the ferry.  I need to have a word with Iker.

ee7ab26c900eb40ef8294d6e37aba742.jpg 05b60584f3ccf22c5185a0c69c801066.png 

Image result for champions league trophy

Champions League Final, May 2043; Signal Iduna Park

"Good evening and welcome to Germany, the Land of Chocolate!  I'm Jamie Carragher, and here with me is Gary Neville, live from the side of the pitch as these two titans of European football prepare to clash in a rematch of last year's epic semifinal."

[Gary screams incoherently in the background, his mic clearly disconnected.]

"Yes, well, that's Gary for you.  I tried to warn...but nevermind.  We've got Jean Bleu's Leeds United -- winners of the Community Shield, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Premier League -- eager to add to their trophy cabinet after heartache last year.  You'd have to think they are the favorites, on form.  It is also impossible to look past their demolition of Nordi Mukiele's United in the semifinals last year -- a 3-3 draw at Old Trafford where the hosts should have counted themselves lucky to escape, followed by a 7-1 drubbing just up the road at Elland Road.  While United are no pushover, I cannot look past Leeds tonight.  If they perform up to Bleu's standards, they should prevail.  Any thoughts, Gary?"

[Gary can be hearing chanting in the background.  "WE ALL HATE LEEDS SCUM, WE ALL HATE LEEDS SCUM, WE ALL HATE LEEDS SCUM, WE ALL HATE LEEDS SCUM!!!!  BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"]

"Thank you, Gary, for that insightful, witty banter.  We all appreciate your contributions here tonight, I'm sure."

[Gary climbs across the makeshift anchor desk and charges the cameraman, screaming like a sheep.  The producer cuts away just as the cameraman is knocked over, the shot spinning wildly, to a view of the squads walking onto the pristine pitch, the Champions League anthem blaring in the background.]

900px-Signal_Iduna_Park_Panorama.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

48e0b1eb3dbeb88161778e580164e015.jpg 47a3bf39a8491e7ac2f636f5bc1f751d.jpg

Early control from Manchester, but as we know all too well…and there it is!  Leeds launching forward in transition, at pace.  It could easily be 1-nil, there.

[Gary sings loudly in the background.]

Solid save from Barrionuevo in the United goal has kept them in it…corner driven it…it falls to Biggs, who lays it off for…YES, THAT’S MUTOMBO!!!  THE CONGOLESE DREAM!!!  HE’S DONE IT!!! ONE-NIL TO LEEDS!!!

[Gary screams with rage in the background.]

018200737e97d41e6c93dbf97621d26b.jpg 94a30f8e195cec3b4a1af81210943333.jpg

And just like that, United are up against it.  Leeds, pressing…probing...confident.  United look scared, chasing shadows. 

Forbes…finds Biggs…THAT’S 2!!!  A GOAL MADE IN LEEDS!!!  UNITED ARE SINKING FAST!!!

[Gary screams non-stop for 30 seconds begging for offsides, before passing out due to a lack of oxygen, in the background.]

Offsides?  Gary, you’ve  lost your head.  There were three United players between Biggsy and the keeper!  No conspiracy, folks.  Just Gary showing his colors, yeah?  A bit of passion is never a bad thing in football, is it, Gary?

[Gary lies on the floor, drooling from the corner of his mouth.]

388d242a320b3299d2c513b2f2f53914.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1
Fixing screenshot

United to sort themselves out…enjoying a spell of possession here as Dalton breaks through, but Mbele stands tall in the Leeds goal.  Corner to United…but Leeds clear with ease, looking to press forward again.  Not good enough from United, not by a long shot.

[Gary appears to have woken up, but sits in the corner, moaning softly, drool still hanging from the corner of his mouth.]

951b2e411e363b8f455287a52b945f1a.jpg

Halftime here in Germany, and while Manchester have had the possession, they've nothing to show for it.  All sizzle, no steak, Gary...kind of like your missus, eh?

[Jamie nudges Gary playfully with his elbow.  Gary does not respond.  He just stares quietly into the middle distance, occasionally mumbling softly to himself about possession being 9/10ths of the law.]

Well, tick tock, United supporters.  This is right where Bleu wants you -- downhearted, down 2 and forced to chase the game.  I suspect we'll see Leeds sitting deeper this half, looking to pick their moments going forward, and kill off the match with a third goal.  Make no mistake, United must score -- and score early -- to get back into this match.

[Gary continues to drool from the corner of his mouth.]

8eb3cdc6fb537df715c5dc366316b946.jpg

Gonzaga in space on the right wing...crossing...Mbele...WHAT IS HE DOING?!  THAT'S ONE FOR UNITED!!!  2-1!!!  WHAT A MISTAKE FROM THE SOUTH AFRICAN, FLAPPING AT THE CROSS LIKE A CHRIST IN A CRUCIFIX SHOP!!!  HE COMPLETELY MISSES IT AT THE NEAR POST, WITH FERNANDEZ ON HAND TO TAP IT IN!!!  EXACTLY WHAT LEEDS DID NOT NEED, TO START THIS HALF!!!

[Gary appears to have regained lucidity, and is jumping about the studio, drool sliding down his chin, screaming madly.]

c83d4f278ab6aaf66e909f0ff12d5100.jpg

BUT NO!!! NO GOAL!!! THE FLAG IS UP!!! A FOUL ON MBELE IN THE  BUILD-UP!!!  LEEDS, SAVED BY THE WHISTLE!!!  MBELE'S BLUSHES SPARED!!!

[Gary begins to rage, aggressively leaping about the studio like a 17 year-old malcontent at a Nirvana concert, circa 1991.  Drool continues to slide down his chin as he makes sheep noises in Jaime's ear.a]

438414f23c8b4f115bcd1a747a588cf5.jpg

DALTON, OFF THE CROSSBAR!!! UNITED GO CLOSE AGAIN!!! 

You have to wonder, don't you, Gary -- are Leeds sitting too deep, inviting too much pressure?!

[Gary begins to sing a new song about Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel and a Yorkshire lass they meet while on the **** in London, to the tune of 'Supercalifragiliciousexpialadocious.']

5a7814250a448145dba3cc19d695c163.jpg

Another ball off the crossbar from United...Dalton rising to meet a Fernandez cross at the near post...flicking it against the crossbar, like a fair maiden swatting at a pesky fly...United must do better!  Leeds are meeting them at every turn.  20 minutes to play here in Germany.

[Gary continues to sing joyfully, although his rage is growing again as the clock ticks down.  Drool continues to slide down his chin.]

0903d9cb4c00c49f4644e12be3e461a6.jpg

AND AGAIN THE WOODWORK SAVE LEEDS UNITED!!! MBELE TIPPING FERNANDEZ'S SHOT OFF THE POST FROM CLOSE RANGE!!!  BUCKLE UP, THESE LAST 15 MINUTES ARE BOUND TO BE INTENSE!!!

[Gary screams in rage about the round posts, insisting that if "standard issue" octagonal posts were in use, United would be up 3-2 by now.  He can be heard muttering, "it's simple maths, innit" as the drool pours down his chin.  Jamie, concerned about Gary's incessant drool, begins to wonder just how many horse tranquilizers the producers gave him after he passed out in a fit of rage, earlier in the match.]

f0510a69402bbac9e7eb1a214a93cbee.jpg

10 minutes to play, Gary, and I think even you would have to admit that Jean Bleu and his men have played United like a cheap fiddle tonigh--

[Gary leaps upon Jamie with a wordless screech akin to that of an amorous hyena, scratching at his eyes like an enraged honey badger.]

e43b4c302e7b6be6b0f010b0821d139f.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

[Muffled sounds of struggle continue over the ambient sounds of Signal Iduna Park, as the fourth official holds up a board showing there will be 4 minutes of extra time.  The Leeds supporters dance wildly, inflatable sheep being passed around like beach balls at a Grateful Dead concert.  Zlatan, standing in the Leeds technical area, has attached one to his waist, each successful pass, tackle and clearance leading to a hypnotic thrusting of his hips.]

5d3dba1a445ffc9df09e3653329fb921.jpg

[As the final whistle sounds, shouts of joy erupt around the stadium.  Leeds United have done it.  Champions of Europe, at the expense of their historic, hated rivals.]

[Even the UEFA Chairman cannot contain his spontaneous joy, as he bestows a Champions League winners' medal upon the inflatable sheep still attached to Zlatan Ibrahimovic's waist.  The image of Zlatan's crotch-chopper celebration, shirtless with a medal-wearing inflatable sheep, will forever be seared in the minds of football supporters around the world.  An iconic moment on an iconic night.]

0709825f92d75367115becd59b6d3e64.jpg 62a9b6c9a2458a8c0bc816954bfc11f9.jpg a7212fb22db7e6b1a9c34a0736d8a7d5.png

Edited by ManUtd1

You know, someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again.

d3a9fa1d3808414a9b3daf65224d06bc.png

Leeds United / Netherlands -- 2042/43 Season Review

There's no question about it.  We're beyond happy with the result in Germany.  But it is with a heavy heart that we close the books on our time in Yorkshire...we've come so far and built a side that should compete for years to come -- both in England and on the Continent.  And we did it playing sexy, high-scoring football.

The time has come to move on.  Offers are already on the table, as our MO is well-documented at this point.  But we are men of discerning tastes -- Drake, Zlatan and I...and I guess Iker, too.  He's somehow made himself indispensable to our little crew.

Goals for 2043/44: Wait for the right club opportunity to open up, ideally in France or Spain.

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Premier League Fixtures (1)|Premier League Fixtures (2)|FA Cup Fixtures|League Cup Fixtures|Champions League Fixtures

Champions League Review

This is heavily documented above.  There's no better way to end my time at Leeds, than with a win over United in the Champions League final.  Leipzig is looking like they could become eligible (or win the title outright) at any point.

27144ec97464fbee9a0b79d972a24378.png 62a9b6c9a2458a8c0bc816954bfc11f9.jpg

62babc75d1e340d07024d1bf139f4c59.png

Challenge Overview

97433d54f0c1174aef7d60422743f492.png

3dac4fe4d02118e4d49a54d740edbad6.png

ea657426b5380c7614a950c21c10ac6f.png 48f0d3cc53ffd9e83c93c6b8acd4ed72.png

913297010ffa0321d71d73360cf2d7a9.png

48 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Great result for the save, not a good result for football (if it happened in real life anyway). Congratulations, man!

Thanks, man!  

The next step is an open question right now...there is one tantalizing possibility, but it isn't available just yet.