Fear of racism at the world cup: overblown or a serious concern?

decapitated

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/the-sunday-times-magazine/russia-world-cup-2018-will-englands-ethnically-diverse-squad-and-fans-be-safe-from-violence-and-racism-82ghfj2m2?CMP

Not going to post all the article as a lot of its about racism in English football in the 20th century, but below are the relevant passages

Such is the perceived scale of the problem that last month, shortly after the squad was announced, the England manager, Gareth Southgate, revealed his team would be working with a psychologist to prepare players for racial abuse. From monkey noises and banana throwing to Nazi salutes, instances of racism at Russian grounds have been consistent and widespread.

Of course, it is likely that Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, will have his security services on high alert to ensure the global showcase runs smoothly. In the run-up to the tournament, the Moscow security chief Vladimir Chernikov announced that more than 460 fans were being blacklisted from stadiums. High security has been promised at each venue.

Despite Russian assurances, England players have acknowledged that they are having discussions about how to deal with racism. “When we’re on the pitch, I’m not sure how you would react to it,” the 32-year-old wing-back Ashley Young said last month. “Hopefully Fifa, if anything is to come about, will be able to deal with it.” Players have been told that if they are subjected to racist chanting, their first step should be to inform the referee. A warning over the public address system may follow, delivered in Russian and the languages of the teams playing. If the abuse continues, players could be taken off the pitch for 10 minutes. If it that doesn’t eliminate the problem, the match could be called off.

“I don’t think we should just talk about racism in Russia,” Southgate has said. First, he suggested, England should get its own house in order. “I have spent some time in Russia and felt incredibly comfortable there. But, for every individual, it is up to them what they want to do … If I were a fan, I would [go to Russia].”

Not everyone feels the same way. Such is the diplomatic stand-off with Russia since the poisoning of the former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, in Salisbury in March, no British government representatives or royals will be attending the World Cup. But it is the spectre of racism and violence that is keeping others at bay.

I'm hoping nothing of note happens, but its worrying England are getting sports pyschologists involved to prepare the squad, and fifa has a detailed plan of what to do if it happens as it means they think its a realistic possibility.

8 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

I believe any potential racism will be dampened by the FSB.

140px-FSB_Emblem.png

With a nice badge like this, I am sure they will do a great job. :cool: 

I think it's understandable that it's a concern, but Russia aren't going to be messing about with this, the entire world are watching them. I imagine they've got a ton of banning orders in place already and tighter laws for the World Cup.

3 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Given how serious the Russians are taking it, I actually think in the current climate there’d be a bigger threat of racism, certainly from locals to travelling fans, if it was held over here. 

That's really quite unfair.  You hardly ever hear racist chanting etc at football here.  It's certainly nothing like seen in the Russian domestic game in recent years, not to mention elsewhere in Europe (hello, Lazio fans!)

2 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

That's really quite unfair.  You hardly ever hear racist chanting etc at football here.  It's certainly nothing like seen in the Russian domestic game in recent years, not to mention elsewhere in Europe (hello, Lazio fans!)

I don't mean in the stadium at all, completely agree with you that it's way worse in Russia and Italy etc. But I think whereas in public in Russia the locals won't abuse or try fighting/kicking off with foreigners, could see it happening over here - you see loads of viral videos lately of people on trains getting racist abuse and that. We had a bad one on C2C recently in Southend and there's posters up in the station trying to track down the guy. I certainly wouldn't feel all that comfortable coming over here if I was an Egyptian/Moroccan or Polish fan. Think you'd be fine in and around London, but obviously some games would be further around the country and I think you could get some stuff there. Not saying it's worse to be black or gay or foreign etc in the UK than Russia in general, but I think during a tournament it would be worse as the Russian government would crack down harder. 

15 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I don't mean in the stadium at all, completely agree with you that it's way worse in Russia and Italy etc. But I think whereas in public in Russia the locals won't abuse or try fighting/kicking off with foreigners, could see it happening over here - you see loads of viral videos lately of people on trains getting racist abuse and that. We had a bad one on C2C recently in Southend and there's posters up in the station trying to track down the guy. I certainly wouldn't feel all that comfortable coming over here if I was an Egyptian/Moroccan or Polish fan. Think you'd be fine in and around London, but obviously some games would be further around the country and I think you could get some stuff there. Not saying it's worse to be black or gay or foreign etc in the UK than Russia in general, but I think during a tournament it would be worse as the Russian government would crack down harder. 

I don't agree with this at all.  I think you're being very harsh on the population as a whole.  The UK generally comes out as amongst the least racist countries in the world for example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-you.html

There are Poles living throughout the country,  are they somehow going to get attacked by the locals just because the world cup is on? 

I think there's definitely an underlying anti-Polish section among a minority over here. Been quite a bit of anti-Polish crime, that one lad got murdered a few years ago. Even around here in Southend where there's barely even that many Polish around, people have been spray-painting or writing "Polish Go Home" or "**** the Polish" on walls or beach huts. 

82e1b0482553b79cb149967de7d4e72c.png

16 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I think there's definitely an underlying anti-Polish section among a minority over here. Been quite a bit of anti-Polish crime, that one lad got murdered a few years ago. Even around here in Southend where there's barely even that many Polish around, people have been spray-painting or writing "Polish Go Home" or "**** the Polish" on walls or beach huts. 

82e1b0482553b79cb149967de7d4e72c.png

Is that it? 3 incidents of graffiti from probably the same person as the handwriting looks very similar.

Re the "lad got murdered a few years ago" -  it was consequently shown that was not a hate crime (to the victim anyway)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/when-the-facts-came-out-the-killing-of-a-polish-man-had-nothing-to-do-with-anti-immigrant-feeling/

The killer, a 16-year-old, was sentenced to three years’ detention for manslaughter. The court ruled he threw a punch which caused Jozwik to fall to the ground and sustain fatal head injuries. Rightly, his violence has been punished, but was it an unprovoked hate crime? It emerged from the case that there was a racial element to the incident — although the racism was not aimed at Mr Jozwik. On the contrary, the court heard it was Mr Jozwik and his friends who made racist comments against the then 15-year-old and those he was with. As the defence counsel put it: ‘They made racist remarks to the youngsters, then invited violence from them, and they were considerably bigger and stronger than the young people.’

Archived