Highly Inconsistent Striker: From Brilliant to Stupid

My striker scores 3 or 4 goals in a game (brilliant), but will invariably play horribly in the next match. This happens to me on FM since always.

Any tips to prevent my striker from collapsing after a brilliant game? Thanks.

3 or 4 goals a game isn't brilliant, it's beating the odds unless all of those four were tap-ins. Additionally, it usually means the striker has finished every other shot. That happens.... same as vice versa, but it's not the yardstick to go by. This is my experience, but from my end perceived "inconsistency" is often a lack of "understanding" how scoring streaks roughly come about in football, and as such some, in the game. It's always worth first checking that. Aside of that, hidden consistency attributes, and man management can also influence a few. Never been a hugely expert on man management myself. But then I think it's oft comparably overrated in the bigger picture. (Team talk/morale manager this has never been).

If a forward consistently pops up in space, he'll score more likely than not. The game is hugely likely not accurate, but remember that under the hood it is purely Maths too. Any forward who scores consistently in fotoball (and typically in-game) has at least about 4 shots/attempts average per match (Lewandowski 4, Kane 6, Ronaldo, 7, Messi 5). This is the case because even the better chances are typically 50/50s at best. That's a number you can gauge from the forward's profile under reports-Statistics. The first thing to check here imo... always. Unless it's similar, on/off streaks will happen simply by the fact that he hasn't the opportunity to show on the score sheet every other week -- and not in every match, every shot goes in.

It's more about managing expectations.

How many real world strikers score 2 goals or more in every match they start

Pick any country, any division, any club

The total will be exactly 0

A striker scoring 4 goals in 1 match is a hugely massive achievement.

Expecting even 1 goal every single match is a big ask and is putting that striker under a lot of unnecessary pressure.

Instead of asking why isn't my striker scoring in every match

ask

- is he the clubs leading goal scorer

- is he the leagues leading goal scorer

if just 1 of those the answer is yes, then he's doing a good job & things are working out.

1 hour ago, Enos said:

I had a striker score 23 goals in the first 22 games and then didn't get another one for the rest of the season.  

Hm..... forwards only scoring for a half a season. Le Zizou, is that you?

16 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

@Svenc Was that 5 goals in 10 minutes for Lewandowski!? :eek:

Yeah, unfortunately I had a couple bucks on Wolfsburg. All nice and dandy, them leading 1-0 at HT and beyond. And then this crap happens. :mad:

4 hours ago, Enos said:

I had a striker score 23 goals in the first 22 games and then didn't get another one for the rest of the season.  

Did he get injured, or extremely unhappy with something (like you refused a better contract)?...

3 hours ago, Svenc said:

Yeah, unfortunately I had a couple bucks on Wolfsburg. All nice and dandy, them leading 1-0 at HT and beyond. And then this crap happens.

Well if it's any consolation <.<

:D

image.thumb.png.822c7bd39cba3035ccbe0844ccc6d196.png

On 18/05/2018 at 20:58, phd_angel said:

Did he get injured, or extremely unhappy with something (like you refused a better contract)?...

He did have an 4 week injury, but when he came back, he was never the same.  The AI had adjusted to my tactic and started bunkering against me.  I can only guess that's why.

I wanted to avoid a tactical discussion …. but

The ai managers are far more adaptive than they used to be

They will change roles & duties, shape, mentality and even formation during a match

To keep scoring against teams that park a tank you have to create openings for your striker to exploit

he'll need to find, make or have space created for him

this means your wide players and midfielders will have to do more work to accomplish this

overloading on one flank is one way, but you need other options too or your just as easy to shut down

if you're using a high d/line & high pressing set up .. space is going to be harder to find

On 17/05/2018 at 23:31, phd_angel said:

My striker scores 3 or 4 goals in a game (brilliant), but will invariably play horribly in the next match. This happens to me on FM since always.

Any tips to prevent my striker from collapsing after a brilliant game? Thanks.

I agree with what has been written so far in this thread by Svenc & RodentofDoom.

It might be helpful if you could answer a few questions to discover the cause of the problem.

1) What do your coaches think of the players' consistency?

2) What sort of teams does your striker perform well against (better or worse)?

3) How does the opposition setup when he fails to perform well?

4) What role/duty do you have your striker playing in and what is the overall tactic?

5) After the striker has had a great game are you resting him so that he is fully recovered for the next game?

6) According to your coaches, how does your strikers' ability compare with the rest of the league (decent, good, leading player for the league)?

7) What types of goals does he tend to score?            

8) Where do his assists tend to come from and who is providing them?                                                                                                                                                                                            

I think once you are able to answer those questions then the source of the problem should be clearer and then others might be able to chime in better and offer tips on how to resolve it. 

Archived