FM 2009 DEMO - Hit or Miss

FM 2009 DEMO - Hit or Miss  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. FM 2009 DEMO - Hit or Miss

• Hit
    • Miss

Definetely a hit, basis for a real game there but like every ones been saying the bugs are inforgivable, after all that supposed testing they missed what we all found right away! But again SI always come up with the goods in the end

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I've had time to play it for a few more hours I can comment better on what I think

Pros

- The transfer system seems much better now, so big thumbs up for that

- Initial reaction to the match engine is that it appears to be improved on FM08, although I haven't really studied it enough to be too sure

- Press conferences are a nice addition

- The improved skin looks superb. Very clean, crisp and not as bright as last years, I'll probably stick with it indefinitely

- Assistant feedback is useful

- I've not had a single crash or technical problem

Cons

- 3D view looks very odd in most views. It makes the game feel cheap and tacky. But I'm slowly warming up to the Elevated view

- Obviously the awful injury bug

- Penalty shootouts seem broken

- I keep getting Big Phil telling the press he is interested in Tevez and Ferdinand, despite me issuing a hands off warning

- Ferdinand says he is interested in a move to Chelsea...as if that would happen

- Match engine sounds are still utter crap

- Match speed sliders should of remained separate

- You should get rid of the advert boards around the pitch on the 2D classic view, it makes it too small when not in TV mode

- Pitch texture isn't very nice. Surely you have someone in the team who can make nice textures?

Overall FM09 definitely has the potential to be the best in the series so far. But it's vital you spend time on the patch(es) and make sure not to leave any big bugs in the game

Now I've had time to play it for a few more hours I can comment better on what I think

Pros

- The transfer system seems much better now, so big thumbs up for that

- Initial reaction to the match engine is that it appears to be improved on FM08, although I haven't really studied it enough to be too sure

- Press conferences are a nice addition

- The improved skin looks superb. Very clean, crisp and not as bright as last years, I'll probably stick with it indefinitely

- Assistant feedback is useful

- I've not had a single crash or technical problem

Cons

- 3D view looks very odd in most views. It makes the game feel cheap and tacky. But I'm slowly warming up to the Elevated view

- Obviously the awful injury bug

- Penalty shootouts seem broken

- I keep getting Big Phil telling the press he is interested in Tevez and Ferdinand, despite me issuing a hands off warning

- Ferdinand says he is interested in a move to Chelsea...as if that would happen

- Match engine sounds are still utter crap

- Match speed sliders should of remained separate

- You should get rid of the advert boards around the pitch on the 2D classic view, it makes it too small when not in TV mode

- Pitch texture isn't very nice. Surely you have someone in the team who can make nice textures?

Overall FM09 definitely has the potential to be the best in the series so far. But it's vital you spend time on the patch(es) and make sure not to leave any big bugs in the game

agree with that

The game is amazing, i love it, the 3d is simply fantastic, maybe not 100% OK but i think it is a big step for FM. Skin, press, assistant feedback are also nice. However i have to admit that there are some cons, for example i dont like the 2d, and some player atributes arent ok, and there are also problems in gameplay. However the game in general e good (better than FM08, i think).

Good job.

i can't believe people are really complaining that it's SI's fault that their dated graphics card can't run the 3d engine.

Most games released recently specially FPS don't work proper on cards over 2 years old....some guys buy cards every 6 months so they can play the new game to the fullest.

Yes but the game looks 10 years old, any 3d card should be able to run the game because it can hardly be demanding on the card if it looks that bad. The fan doesnt even come on for my card when Im playing.

Oh, and SI, piece of advice, for the last 2 versions at least, there have been major bugs that got past the beta testers, the first time this happened i would have sacked them all for not doing their job properly, but after 2 years at least of this happening, may i suggest you sack them and employ some new beta testers instead of releasing a demo for unpaid customers to test so you can make patches in the future.

I have a feeling the beta testers are just there so they can tell their mates they are playing FM ahead of everyone else.

Get rid of them and get people in who offer constructive criticism of the game and bugs, its the only way it will improve.

Its astounding the injury bug got through and its not the 1st time a total game breaking bug have left the game unplayable on release day.

I have a feeling the beta testers are just there so they can tell their mates they are playing FM ahead of everyone else.

Get rid of them and get people in who offer constructive criticism of the game and bugs, its the only way it will improve.

Its astounding the injury bug got through and its not the 1st time a total game breaking bug have left the game unplayable on release day.

In 2 weeks time I think everyone will say thank you once the patch is out and fix everything

If it was a new game that I was going to for the first time, I wouldn't have got further than the first game on the demo before I wrote it off.

As it is, I'll still get it and I'm pretty sure that after the second patch we'll have a decent game.

My predictions on the state of the game look to be right though. I said the 3d would be pretty rubbish and SI would spend the next year saying "it's our first go, we've done a good job but wait till you see next year's version" and that the new additions such as press conferences would become a gimmicky repetitive chore within three games.

If it was a new game that I was going to for the first time, I wouldn't have got further than the first game on the demo before I wrote it off.

As it is, I'll still get it and I'm pretty sure that after the second patch we'll have a decent game.

My predictions on the state of the game look to be right though. I said the 3d would be pretty rubbish and SI would spend the next year saying "it's our first go, we've done a good job but wait till you see next year's version" and that the new additions such as press conferences would become a gimmicky repetitive chore within three games.

It's always a second patch into the game, when everyone is happy!

Conferences aren't a "gimmicky chore" and they don't become tedious, because they don't happen before every single game. Besides you can send your assistant

With regret I voted it a miss

Unfortunately I didn't see any big enough changes for me to spend £30 on the 09 version.

I think SI have clearly spent more money and effort on the Live version than they have on the stand alone game and it shows. They should be embarrassed with that Demo. Really what does your QA manager do for a job? Assuming you have one of course.

I think SI are getting complacent because the competition are so crap. Sooner or later that won't be the case and all your current users will switch in an instant. Dicey strategy if you ask me

I voted Miss. Was really looking forward to this but was concerned about the 3D match view... I was right to be concerned too, it's terrible, really jumpy and grainy... ended up switching to 2D view after the first half as it was too time consuming and frustrating and lets face it, not much fun!! Press conferences were pretty cool for the first couple of times but then the novelty wore out! I can't imagine how sick I'd be of them in 10 seasons time. Can't see anything different with the transfers, only the transfer rumours which doesn't really add anything in my opinion. Apart from those poor additions which I'd probably turn off or just ignore, I can't see anything new which I'd actually want to use without getting sick of it and so all I'm left with is an updated version of FM08! Having played the demo for a few games I found myself getting bored very quickly, I thought I'd be playing this to death until November 14th but instead I'm rambling on about how disappointed I am. Having said that I'm sure I'll still buy FM09 and hope that it'll grab me a lot more than the demo has.

With regret I voted it a miss

Unfortunately I didn't see any big enough changes for me to spend £30 on the 09 version.

I think SI have clearly spent more money and effort on the Live version than they have on the stand alone game and it shows. They should be embarrassed with that Demo. Really what does your QA manager do for a job? Assuming you have one of course.

I think SI are getting complacent because the competition are so crap. Sooner or later that won't be the case and all your current users will switch in an instant. Dicey strategy if you ask me

At least get your facts right Sega spend the money not SI, FML is a separate project and has been funded (by Sega) for at least 4 years.

Why aren't you then blaming Sonic the hedgehog for your (false) impression?

Conferences aren't a "gimmicky chore" and they don't become tedious, because they don't happen before every single game. Besides you can send your assistant

I'm right on this, trust me. After the novelty wears off - probably after about a couple of weeks of playing - the vast majority will be sending their assistants or just banging on through. It was going to be the case from the minute the feature was announced. They haven't done anything interesting withe the idea - just a string of generic questions with stock answers and predictable consequences from what i've seen.

At least get your facts right Sega spend the money not SI, FML is a separate project and has been funded (by Sega) for at least 4 years.

I like how you pick apart any small/mislead comments because you dont like the main point he is making.

Anyway my views on FM09 having downloaded, played and then uninstalled (its not as bad as you think so keep reading). Started the game and went through the usual picking the team and setting my profile up wizard which was good apart from an annoying issue with typing lllllliikkkee thiiiss, which I understand is going to fixed :thup: . Went to have a look at all the screens and really liked the club history I was given and enjoyed the press conference. Transfers seem loads better and love how I can ask who is available for loan from other clubs. I dont like the skin - its to bright for me I need a darker one but that can be changed.

Now onto the match - one thing that bugged me about FM08 was being shown the team talks even though I want my assman taking them, its an extra click I dont need and I dont want to see them if my assman is in charge of these. Going into the game I dont get the option for 3D as my computer doesnt have the right graphics card, and yet in 2D I am very laggy, stop start, whatever you want to call it. I have never had a problem with previous FM games. Due to this I have had to uninstall it as it really is a pet hate of mine. I am not really prepared to upgrade my computer for a game I frankly dont have as much time to play as I used to due to work commitments so due to this I wont be buying.

Miss

Another fm season brings out all the moaners once again, i bet come 2 weeks before the release of fm10 the same people will be reguarly checking forr the release date of the demo, to whinge and complain and find bugs all over again. this game is a hit for me and congrats to Si for another great series.

Isn't it funny how SI have shyed away from this thread? more than half of the votes think this game is a "miss", care to comment SI? what percentage would you have expected to vote as "hit" Mr Miles? do let us know your thoughts.

Stupid comment, SI have more than enough to do without explaining themselves in every thread. Remember they are getting ready for the launch of 2 massive products for them.

Stupid comment, SI have more than enough to do without explaining themselves in every thread. Remember they are getting ready for the launch of 2 massive products for them.

yes but Mr Miles deals with PR, even here on the forums, shouldn't he comment to try and turn the 45% into something more like 65%? i don't think we've heard a peep out of SI since the demo was released, and we know they read everything on these forums.

i don't think we've heard a peep out of SI since the demo was released, and we know they read everything on these forums.

Are you for real? Go to Miles, Paul Collyer, Marc Vaughan and any other SI person you can find profile and check for recent posts, if you haven't heard then you haven't been looking.

yes but Mr Miles deals with PR, even here on the forums, shouldn't he comment to try and turn the 45% into something more like 65%? i don't think we've heard a peep out of SI since the demo was released, and we know they read everything on these forums.

What is Miles going to say? If he tries to make you or anyone think it is a great game he will get ridiculed for not admitting that it is bad or so people will say.

Anyway SI have been busy on the forums posting in threads where people have reported bugs in a constructive manner.

Isn't it funny how SI have shyed away from this thread? more than half of the votes think this game is a "miss", care to comment SI? what percentage would you have expected to vote as "hit" Mr Miles? do let us know your thoughts.

Out of the milliom plus who are qualified to vote in such a poll the few malcontents in this thread don't rate as a sample, especially as in general they are the same people who are polluting every other thread with complaints rather than constructive criticism.

I guess this is like the U.S presidential election then this poll, the popular vote doesn't count.

BGS have a whole lot of time to overshadow features of FM, late to release? yes most certainly, but i'm betting they'll bo a better job.

And I would prefer SI posting in threads that matter like when people report bugs and back it up not threads like this where some people just moan, moan and moan. By the way that was not referring directly to you.

Doesn't that make it even worse then? They've had the full resources to make a game which appears to marginally better than last years.

And I would prefer SI posting in threads that matter like when people report bugs and back it up not threads like this where some people just moan, moan and moan. By the way that was not referring directly to you.

Interesting. So it doesn't matter that over half of the people have voted that the Demo is a miss then. It's of no consequence to SI what their potential customers think? Just because people are voicing their opinions doesn't mean that its just a bunch of moaning. It means in that SI need to do more, if they want to get more customers

Doesn't that make it even worse then? They've had the full resources to make a game which appears to marginally better than last years.

Your opinion not mine, which makes it all subjective, I haven't seen you make a single constructive suggestion as to what could have been improved or included that wasn't.

Interesting. So it doesn't matter that over half of the people have voted that the Demo is a miss then. It's of no consequence to SI what their potential customers think? Just because people are voicing their opinions doesn't mean that its just a bunch of moaning. It means in that SI need to do more, if they want to get more customers

They are trying to fix and solve as many bugs as possible which have been found in the game. They are posting in threads that are necessary for this and that is much more important imo than posting in a thread such as this.

What do you want them to say in this thread?

And there is no problem with people voicing their opinions but some people post something like "the game is crap" without saying anything else to back it up. Those types of posts are just pointless which is probably why SI will not post in a thread like this.

Archived