Premier League stadium rules

Anyone got any insight on what happens if/when I get to the premier league, with a team that has a stadium below the 12,500 capacity requirement?

I'm playing as Salford, the stadium year built is 2017 (meaning around 2042 is the soonest a new one can be built) and I don't believe the ground can be extended any further beyond its 7,280 capacity (no further options to expand since this was done a little over 2 years ago) so back to the question at hand, what happens in FM terms in this situation?

Hopefully I will know in a few seasons. Playing with Marine and I'm in the Championship at the moment and I think I have a chance for promotions in the next few seasons. Still at Rossett Park (5k capacity). Though the board have a general plan to build a new one according to an inbox item a few years ago with all TBA's, and I haven't seen any signs of that since.

This happened to me with ebsfleet a few FMs ago. When I got promoted to league 2 they built a new 5k stadium with capacity to expand to 10k. I moved into the 5k stadium when I got to the Championship. A year later I was in the Prem. the next few seasons they spent time expanding the stadium. Eventually it got to 10k. No further options to expand or build. Was stuck in the prem with a 10k stadium

In FM13, I managed Dagenham & Redbridge in the Premier League with a ground capacity of only 12,000.

The board announced that they were building a new 17,500-seater ground about a season before we eventually won promotion from the Championship. We had one PL season at the old, small Victoria Road, finished 12th, and then moved into our new stadium in time for the following campaign.

Edited by CFuller

Why is the Salford City build date 2017 when they have been playing at Moor Lane for years before that?

I'm in the Championship with Salford and no new stadium will hurt my save if I'm stuck in the Prem with a 7,200 capacity stadium until 2042.

Might have to edit my save :( I'll see what happens if/when I get promoted.

Edited by Robioto

4 hours ago, Robioto said:

Why is the Salford City build date 2017 when they have been playing at Moor Lane for years before that?

I'm in the Championship with Salford and no new stadium will hurt my save if I'm stuck in the Prem with a 7,200 capacity stadium until 2042.

Might have to edit my save :( I'll see what happens if/when I get promoted.

I think it was a re-build, which the game (in FMT at least) is treating as the date built. Or, potentially, its a data error. Didn't know enough about it myself to be a judge of that, just when I did a bit of searching online I did see plans to revamp the stadium so put 2 and 2 together to assume re-build. 

I just missed out on promotion via the championship play-offs in 2024 so I won't find out for sure, I had thought the same as @michaeltmurrayuk because I was quite looking forward to the amusing prospect of having to ground share Old Trafford, and the additional revenues that could bring in (although it'd probably only be about 20% full)

Whenever I start a LLM save I always edit the clubs potential expansion capacity to 13k before I start. This way it meets prem requirements and I can get my new ground built once in the prem. realistically you only get one chance at a stadium per save. 

3 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

Whenever I start a LLM save I always edit the clubs potential expansion capacity to 13k before I start. This way it meets prem requirements and I can get my new ground built once in the prem. realistically you only get one chance at a stadium per save. 

So do I normally, but this is a beta save that turned into a career game so I had no chance to edit. Apparently FMRTE can edit stadium build dates so I'll just change it to 1970 which is when Moor Lane was originally built. Hate using editors and can't remember the last time I did, but for me personally this is the time to use one.

Edited by Robioto

• 1 year later...

@BanOly there are various exemptions for stuff in the premier league.

I believe Liverpool have one for pitch size (their ground can't accommodate the required size) and various others have it as well or have in the past. I couldn't be certain, but I believe the exemption for Bournemouth is due to them looking for a new location. I don't think they own their current ground, so they can't be expected to do interim work that would bring it up to requirements like Blackpool did.

• 3 months later...

(FM19) Just been promoted to the Prem with Hampton and Richmond after continual back to back promotions from national league south (Up the Beavers!) We built a new stadium when we got into the National league (3/4 seasons ago) with a max capacity after expansion of 6.5k. We’re gonna be playing at Millwalls Den for our first season up but the board have said literally nothing about what our future plans are for our own stadium. 

Can it be expanded to the 12.k prem league minimum? Will we be able to build another new stadium? Are we stuck renting the Den for the next 20 odd years? No info from the board is very disconcerting. When it was announced we’d be moving to the Den for next season I immediately asked about a new stadium and got the “we’re not willing to talk about this right now as we’re skint” message.

My gut is telling me I’ll get a message at some point this season telling me we’re expanding our new (ish) stadium to 12.5k (the min for Prem league) I could well have to play at the Den for 2 seasons, and then I’m stuck with a 12.5k stadium for the next 20 years.

Sound about right?

*Update: Just before the 1st game of the season the option to talk to the board about our stadium reappeared. I chose the “restricted by our current expansion limit” option for building a new stadium and the board agreed! Plans are now afoot for a new 26k (approx - might change) stadium. Plans are set to be completed in 2 years time. Awesome! Much better outcome than I expected. Hopefully we can expand this new stadium even further in the future too.

*Further Update

End of the season and planning has been approved! Another two years to wait but the new 26.6k Hampton and Richmond Borough Stadium is now being built.

*Last Update (as if anyone cares)

We’ve finally moved in! 26k expandable to 53k! The football gods have been kind.

Edited by sidslayer

• 1 year later...
On 12/08/2019 at 08:34, Tyburn said:

(FM19) Just been promoted to the Prem with Hampton and Richmond after continual back to back promotions from national league south (Up the Beavers!) We built a new stadium when we got into the National league (3/4 seasons ago) with a max capacity after expansion of 6.5k. We’re gonna be playing at Millwalls Den for our first season up but the board have said literally nothing about what our future plans are for our own stadium. 

Can it be expanded to the 12.k prem league minimum? Will we be able to build another new stadium? Are we stuck renting the Den for the next 20 odd years? No info from the board is very disconcerting. When it was announced we’d be moving to the Den for next season I immediately asked about a new stadium and got the “we’re not willing to talk about this right now as we’re skint” message.

My gut is telling me I’ll get a message at some point this season telling me we’re expanding our new (ish) stadium to 12.5k (the min for Prem league) I could well have to play at the Den for 2 seasons, and then I’m stuck with a 12.5k stadium for the next 20 years.

Sound about right?

*Update: Just before the 1st game of the season the option to talk to the board about our stadium reappeared. I chose the “restricted by our current expansion limit” option for building a new stadium and the board agreed! Plans are now afoot for a new 26k (approx - might change) stadium. Plans are set to be completed in 2 years time. Awesome! Much better outcome than I expected. Hopefully we can expand this new stadium even further in the future too.

*Further Update

End of the season and planning has been approved! Another two years to wait but the new 26.6k Hampton and Richmond Borough Stadium is now being built.

*Last Update (as if anyone cares)

We’ve finally moved in! 26k expandable to 53k! The football gods have been kind.

What kind of cost did the rebuild come in at?