[FM15] Avenir Beggen - a Luxembourg Youth Challenge (take two)

Ceching You Out

Avenir Beggen - 2024/2025

Avenir%20Beggen%20logo%20x2_zpsq2dh3q3o.png

Squad / League / Transfers

How was the league?

3rd and we've closed the quality gap to 2nd place Dudelange, who managed to beat Jeunesse Esch this year to end their streak (as mentioned above).

Any chance you win the league before I die of old age?

Perhaps! I never promised this would be quick.

Whatever. Anything else noteworthy?

I'll save most of my assorted thoughts for my next post -- a more detailed summary now that we're 10 years in.

Youth facilities upgrade complete though!

Recordkeeping:

2025%20-%20Facilities_zpstptjo9m2.png

2025%20-%20Manager_zpszmdxbbb1.png

2025%20-%20Finances_zpst903jfic.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 Seasons of Avenir Beggen - 2015/16 to 2024/25

Avenir%20Beggen%20-%20Recap_zpsvg197pyd.

Domestic Results

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Competitions_zpslu

Best Eleven

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Best%20Eleven_zpsk

Of these players, only Minelli, Lima, Kohn, and de Almeida are still at the club. I would expect that these will look very different in 10 years, including the formation.

Current Tactics

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Formation_zpsixzug

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Team%20Instruction

Current Players

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Players_zpsjm0rllb

I considered detailing every player, but I think that's overkill given the churn. As always, if you're interested in seeing particular player(s) just let me know.

2025%20-%2010YR%20-%20Players%20by%20Age

If you couldn't tell, I'm a data geek. A conversation with jimbokav a few weeks back inspired me to track the general age of my squad and see how it changes over the decades.

Just read through this one.

So, how was the read?

An entertaining start to the day. I am becoming increasingly tempted to start a save like this myself.

Great - another one jumps on the youth challenge bandwagon...

Perhaps! I have my hexagon challenge career to complete first though.

Did you know Luxembourg is famous for its lavender ice-cream? It's like accidentally eating a chilled serving of fabric softener!

17 hours ago, jengaehassim said:

Isn't it a contradiction to use "More Direct Passing" and "Play out of Defense"?

A little, at least for my defenders. My intention was for my defense to pick their way out from the back, then my mids and strikers push the ball upfield. It was a more recent addition to the approach; in practice, it was hard to tell the impact.

Within a few matches of the new season, I've done a 180 and started playing shorter. I'm now encountering a lot of 4-5-1 that only rarely pushes forward so smashing the ball upfield is a waste.

11 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

Just read through this one.

So, how was the read?

An entertaining start to the day. I am becoming increasingly tempted to start a save like this myself.

Great - another one jumps on the youth challenge bandwagon...

Perhaps! I have my hexagon challenge career to complete first though.

Did you know Luxembourg is famous for its lavender ice-cream? It's like accidentally eating a chilled serving of fabric softener!

Well done. :applause: It's like looking into a mirror, albeit one where I'm wearing a luchador's mask.

And if that ice cream is anything like lavender chocolate, then I'll take mine plain please.

2026%20-%20Europa%20Draw_zpsdeb51tae.png

And we get Neman Grodno, a Belarusian side that's 3rd lowest out of the possibilities. I think we have a chance here, but I'm trying to talk myself out of it.

2026%20-%20Europa%20Result_zps1lulqatc.p

For those doing the math at home, we were advancing until we gave up the 57th minute goal. It would've been harsh on Grodno, but disappointed to have let it slip.

2026%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zpsys0elou5.pn

Not bad, not bad at all. Not as eye popping as the last two years but I think it's down to the quality throughout the squad. Very happy about the personalities -- I let my recently hired U19 coach handle the intake.

2026%20-%20A_zpsocezeaj8.png

2026%20-%20B_zpsqqzz4gf9.png

2026%20-%20C_zpsxdp4xmox.png

2026%20-%20D_zpscqlf9h5r.png

Jorge and Sacras will immediately join the rotation as they have potential and great personalities. Meier is a solid DC if he develops even a little. Krogh Gerson is likely starting between the sticks in a year or two; hopefully I can mentor him with my existing starter before then.

12 hours ago, The_Gato_In_Goal said:

Wow! Those personalities are a real improvement. What does your U19 coach look like?

I'm very impressed as well. I'm generally willing to sacrifice a little ability for better personality.

2026%20-%20U19%20Head%20Coach_zpsdjyqpar

This is the guy behind this latest batch of kids (intake, not siring). Crucially, he's Ambitious and Media Friendly/Reserved; that means his ambition is 16-19 and his professionalism is 15-20.

If anyone is interested in decoding personality stats, you can find more in this great thread: 

Avenir Beggen - 2025/2026

How was the league?

3rd again, although hot on the heels of Dudelange.

Bet you wish you had saved that reference to The Truman Show now, huh?

I always seem to be premature, although that's a discussion for a different forum. We need to establish ourselves as the second best team in the country over the next season or two.

The option to upgrade our Youth Coaching finally returned and the board agreed. Next season we should have an even nicer batch of youth!

Recordkeeping:

2026%20-%20Facilities_zpswqr11af4.png

2026%20-%20Manager_zpsshafwjsm.png

2026%20-%20Finances_zpss85pvl5t.png

11 hours ago, tyler16 said:

FM  really has a mind of its own giving a chap managing in the Luxembourg division 20 tactical coaching, huh?

Good stuff. :) 

Right?! Apparently no one can teach tactics any better than a dim coach from a 3rd place team in neglected step-child Luxembourg.

I've always wondered how a manager's attributes progress since I tend to only check every few years. Figured it was worth tracking to see if we can learn anything from it.

2027%20-%20Europa%20Pot_zpshfczeom8.png

Miffed Manager Exits Pre-match Presser

Gilles Schleck
Luxembourger Wort

The eccentric Avenir Beggen manager, in a rare media appearance, addressed the club's recent Europa League draw. After what appeared to be a series of playful jabs at their upcoming opponents, Mr. Wiggum levied heavy accusations towards journalistic whipping boy Pierre Prussian before prematurely ending the conference.

PP: How do you feel about your first meeting with a Scottish side? Although not one of the historically dominant sides, He--

RW: We are not disheartened. Avenir Beggen fight like warriors! We beat them down. With clubs, yes?

PP: That's a bold prediction for a team that has yet to advance from this stage.

RW: We beat them down. Diamond in the midfield? No, we neutralize. Thump thump thump! Then we dig grave hole with spade. We respect them, that's why we dig grave hole.

PP: I... They don't actually play with a diamond midfield, do they though? Do all your tactics revolve around puns?

RW: Again, this word. No more with this talking. KICK THE FOOTBALL OUT RACISM!

[storms out]

2027%20-%20Europa%20Draw_zpseucyxds2.png

2027%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zpslrnn5r2v.pn

Not bad on the personalities and potential, although I was hoping for a couple with 2+ stars for ability since my youth coaching had improved since last year. Genuinely unsure if this is a result of an increase in my squad's quality, a reflection of my U19 Head Coach's JPA/JPP, or just a cyclical down year in youth.

2027%20-%20A_zpsxtlybt0w.png

2027%20-%20B_zpss57vygsx.png

2027%20-%20C_zps91lccggb.png

3 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Did you release the two players who were received red cards during the game against Hearts? If so, where are they now?

I considered it, but ultimately didn't. Meier remains a backup who rides the bench and Lima, unfortunately, is my first/second best DC. He's a bruising figure (17 Jumping, 17 Strength) but apparently dumb as rocks.

Ah, Avenir Beggen. I eagerly await your Generation of Miracles. So far, we've had... well, a Generation of Cheap Party Tricks maybe... a Generation of Crying St. Mary Statues...

As far as style goes, this is my favourite career of them all.

10 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Ah, Avenir Beggen. I eagerly await your Generation of Miracles. So far, we've had... well, a Generation of Cheap Party Tricks maybe... a Generation of Crying St. Mary Statues...

As far as style goes, this is my favourite career of them all.

Cheers, Adonalsium! Very much appreciate the kind words.

There are years of entertainment still to come before we leave behind the Generation of Restoring Sight to the Already Sighted, progress beyond the Generation of Guessing the Number You're Thinking Of, and bid adieu to the Generation of Hey, Look Over There! Much more to see before we welcome The Miracles.

Avenir Beggen - 2026/2027

How was the league?

A very disappointing 3rd. Again. We botched a game versus Dudelange down the stretch 6-3 to hand them the initiative.

Get on with it then. Quit wasting time being clever.

Well...you're...just...damn it. I had something for this.

This season I've finally returned to using Instant Result for everything outside of European games and the other top 4 sides. We're finally strong enough that the Assistant won't unbalance our side too much!

I was able to nudge the board into upgrading Youth Coaching yet again, but failed miserably when I tried every angle to convince the board to go Professional. I think eventually succeeding on that will push our intakes to the next level, plus actually gives us a chance to develop players to their fullest. This season our players seem to be hitting a glass ceiling that they can't break through; not sure if that's just in my head though.

Speaking of Professional clubs, Dudelange has recently made the leap. Now both the clubs ahead of us on reputation are full-time. Really limits our chances of passing them until we can match their training levels, although it does offer hope for raising the league's reputation.

Recordkeeping:

2027%20-%20Facilities_zpsy1bnswzu.png

2027%20-%20Manager_zpszn0ic1fh.png

2027%20-%20Finances_zpsnvuierfa.png

To be honest, 5 years is the soonest I think I can hope to ease Jeunesse Esch's stranglehold on the league. It will take a near perfect season to topple them and we don't quite have the players yet. Now if that value and balance turns into Professional status or a slight bump in reputation to 2 stars... then we're in business!

2028%20-%20Europa%20result%201_zpspgt12q

Satisfaction in Sarajevo

Gilles Schleck
Luxembourger Wort

With the hard work done at home via a 2-0 win, Avenir Beggen traveled to Sarajevo knowing any sort of result would take them through. The traveling ultras' celebrations began immediately when Marc Philipps bundled home in the 56th, leaving the hosts in an insurmountable hole. Come the final whistle, a bemused Manager Wiggum declined to comment on the result. Instead, we share sentiments from a jubilant Jacques Kremer, head of the ultras and proprietor of Prétentieux Produce and White Wines.

"Historic! The club's first advancement in Europe. Wig's Imps watched our boys finally take a bite of the apple. That's what success tastes like. We'll sing of Sarajevo for years to come. Now if you'll excuse me, we have 1994 chardonnay to toast the entire trip back in Jean-Claude's luxury motorcoach. Brilliant Wiggum and historic Avenir Beggen!"

The Bosnian football league, afaik, is (or at least is today) mostly semi-professional. In this game they've probably upgraded into Professional status a long time ago though.

Aside from that, I'm a bit of a Sarajevo fan, so I'm not sure who to root for-- oh, and you already beat them. Well, I guess that's that for the "Professional" Bosnian football!

On the other hand, this'll do wonders for your reputation. At least, let's hope so.

2 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

The Bosnian football league, afaik, is (or at least is today) mostly semi-professional. In this game they've probably upgraded into Professional status a long time ago though.

Aside from that, I'm a bit of a Sarajevo fan, so I'm not sure who to root for-- oh, and you already beat them. Well, I guess that's that for the "Professional" Bosnian football!

On the other hand, this'll do wonders for your reputation. At least, let's hope so.

I'm a little partial to the city myself; it's definitely on my list of places to visit. Good guess on their status -- I checked and they've definitely turned Professional.

Cheers! Here's hoping too!

1 hour ago, Jupjamie said:

Congratulations :D 

Cheers, Jupjamie! It was, unfortunately, short lived success.

2028%20-%20Europa%20draw%202_zpsl4izdzw5

2028%20-%20Europa%20result%202_zpsy4vynk

When I saw the draw prior to the previous fixtures, I salivated at this opportunity. I think our players are at least on the same level as Inter Baki. We really struggled to negate their narrow 4-3-3. All three forwards played high up the pitch, compared to the typical version where at least one drops deeper; every time they were able to control a long ball out it turned into a dangerous counter. In retrospect, I probably should've put swapped to 5 at the back. We don't really have the players for it but it probably would've still been a net positive move.

2028%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zpska7u9loe.pn

I've stayed with the U19 Head Coach here, despite my HoYD's ridiculous growth in JPA & JPP. The personalities are exactly where I want them to be although I have to say I'm still tempted to give the HoYD another attempt.

2028%20-%20A_zpsjbnnpjfk.png

GK had become a weakness so this is fantastic. Eccentric goalies aren't my thing, but he's already two stars better than the long-time starter.

2028%20-%20B_zpsod8agi3d.png

2028%20-%20C_zpsrdlrqt5o.png

Avenir Beggen - 2027/2028

How was the league?

We finally returned to second, albeit some way off Jeunesse Esch in first.

One step backward, two steps forward.

I don't think that's the phrase, but sure. I'd be disappointed if we relinquish second going forward.

As mentioned above, we failed in the Cup but were able to push Jeunesse Esch twice. I no longer feel like we're just there for their abuse. Likewise for Europe, despite a fairly static rep. I think I'll start tracking the Luxembourgish progress in Europe from next season.

Continued failure to go Professional as a club, although Youth Coaching takes another leap forward. 

And finally, we say goodbye to our prized player from our first intake. I've mentioned him in a couple posts as a frustrating figure -- Duarte Lima. His last kick of the ball was ringing a penalty off the post. He's become too expensive for his talent level when there are hungry youngsters in the wings. Fare thee well, big, dumb brute.

2028%20-%20Duarte%20Lima_zps5tt1vz1s.png

Recordkeeping:

2028%20-%20Facilities_zpsupusqoyv.png

2028%20-%20Manager_zpskj9mh99i.png

2028%20-%20Finances_zpslqtfttrk.png

6 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Fare thee well, big, dumb brute.

I'm tearing up. You must have a way with words.

Another step forward here. If only Jeunesse Esch could fall off the face of the earth we'd really be getting somewhere.

2029%20-%20Europa%20Result_zpshyix2hfs.p

The answer is a qualified maybe. The first leg (not pictured) involved a straight red from one of my debutantes (Ryan Calvignac) in minute 12, followed by my now best DC picking up his second yellow in the 84th. Despite this we hadn't looked bad value for a 1-0 defeat. So of course Silkeborg slams home a cross with the last touch of the game, prompting a few choice curses.

We then had to go for it from the off at home and we got picked apart. Followed by our now customary "Oh the tie is settled? Time for an early bath" red card by Luc Schauls. You're fired, or whatever; I can't be bothered to rage about this every other year.

6 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

I'm tearing up. You must have a way with words.

Another step forward here. If only Jeunesse Esch could fall off the face of the earth we'd really be getting somewhere.

I read him a passage from Of Mice and Men, but he was too dull to understand why. Makes his going away present that much poorer a decision; I fear for that puppy. Hopefully he's my last Lennie, as I'm trying to educate the heathen Luxembourgers in the matters of fluid football!

Cheers! Jeunesse Esch will continue to be trouble unfortunately. Years ago I thought their finances might drag them down, but they've been successful enough to avoid implosion. If they're going to dominate the league, the least they could do is advance a few rounds in Europe to drag our league's reputation up.

Well, seeing as the tie's already over, he might as well get to the shower before the hot water runs out.

Unlucky against Silkeborg. Once you manage to topple Jeunesse Esch, things will really start to get going. Europa Qualifiers are a pain in the neck.

Who are you kidding, Luxembourg has hot water for days!

It just might have a suspicious aftertaste of limestone.

Farewell, Duarte. I never knew you and from what I've heard, I'm glad I didn't. I hope you will find a team dumb enough to hire you.

Who knows, maybe Silkeborg'll snap up this grizzly veteran. Talk about sabotage.

I'm very sad to see Duarte Lima leaving for a new team. I hope he gets a big payday to sign with.

On the other hand, both Avenir Beggen and  Jeunesse Esch are reaching its rivalry escalated, but I hope Avenir should go strong over Jeunesse. Sometimes, if you win in a easy CL or EL series, then I would be great if you lead Avenir a dynasty.

Not sure how the teams are assigned, but I (for example) once got the same team twice in two consecutive qualifiers, on two consecutive years I mean. And what a poor team they were. Beat them 16-0 with a mediocre team on the aggregate. The team's name is HB, and they apparently occupy the top rung of the Faroese football league - have done so for as long as memory runs.

18 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Well, seeing as the tie's already over, he might as well get to the shower before the hot water runs out.

Unlucky against Silkeborg. Once you manage to topple Jeunesse Esch, things will really start to get going. Europa Qualifiers are a pain in the neck.

That's as reasonable an explanation as any. Europa is such a mixed bag with so many decent sides in the draws; a couple years of good draws though and we could get seeded.

16 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Who are you kidding, Luxembourg has hot water for days!

It just might have a suspicious aftertaste of limestone.

Farewell, Duarte. I never knew you and from what I've heard, I'm glad I didn't. I hope you will find a team dumb enough to hire you.

Who knows, maybe Silkeborg'll snap up this grizzly veteran. Talk about sabotage.

Salt in the wound. The tie was already over, although I wouldn't put it past the oaf to fail at sabotage too. They might as well sign him so I'd at least have the opportunity to bask in schadenfreude when he inevitably trips and loses his pants in front of his new manager's mother.

5 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

I'm very sad to see Duarte Lima leaving for a new team. I hope he gets a big payday to sign with.

On the other hand, both Avenir Beggen and  Jeunesse Esch are reaching its rivalry escalated, but I hope Avenir should go strong over Jeunesse. Sometimes, if you win in a easy CL or EL series, then I would be great if you lead Avenir a dynasty.

The poor sap is yet to find a team. It keeps me up most nights, but I'm sure he'll find a home soon.

Dynasty is in the works. First step -- embarrass ourselves. Next step -- continue embarrassment. Eventually -- success!

4 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Not sure how the teams are assigned, but I (for example) once got the same team twice in two consecutive qualifiers, on two consecutive years I mean. And what a poor team they were. Beat them 16-0 with a mediocre team on the aggregate. The team's name is HB, and they apparently occupy the top rung of the Faroese football league - have done so for as long as memory runs.

I haven't run into that (yet) but I've wondered about how the groups are determined. Maybe I'll go down that google rabbit hole when I have a few minutes. We could certainly use for a few years (or decades) of Faroese opposition in Europe. Might slip Sepp a fiver in his birthday card next year.

I wish I had such great potentials even once in a five years. I usually just end up booting out a dozen youth players every year because they're just so bad, and getting like five or six MAX from the youth intakes due to - you guessed it - more bad youth players.

Archived