[FM15] Avenir Beggen - a Luxembourg Youth Challenge (take two)

Ceching You Out

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha...that is absolutely priceless! Reminds me of playing to a handful of people in a 27k stadium early in my '15 youth academy save with IFK Malmo!

Excellent progress, brother! This is extremely inspiring.

Cheers! Bizarre thing happen outside the top leagues. Have to stop and smell the roses. Or in this case, Rose -- the only fan who showed up. It was her turn to bring orange slices and Capri-Suns after all.

Slow, but steady. :lol:

I'm enjoying the writing style a lot. Surely the intakes will improve at some point!

Thank you, sir! They have to don't they?

The end of the season has snuck up on up us. We're getting nose bleeds like Tony Montana and here's why:

2021%20-%205%20Games%20Remaining_zpsdubumui2.png

Time for an epic, guns blazing, five game shootout. I haven't seen the movie but I assume he saves the day and wins a Europa league spot, right? This may not have been a good choice of metaphors. We lose the next game and drop out of the crucial spots.

Tremendous work, Cech!!! Stepping into Europe would be a tremendous outcome for you!

How's this for a caption on the screenshot above -- "Escaped mental patient found at football match." Since no sane person would pay to watch the 2nd tier...

It would certainly gives us a boost, although I get the feeling we don't really belong at the top of the table quite yet.

That's a quality caption. Another option -- "Lost child found safe and sound after local football match; parents baffled".

As mentioned above, the first of the five was a loss dropping us out of the top 4. We rebounded by beating a lower table club then squeaking past FC Differdange, pushing a fellow challenger down in the process. We followed with a win over a relegation candidate in the penultimate match.

2021%20-%201%20Game%20Remaining_zpsv0wmnptl.png

If the altitude was causing issues before, we were barely standing upright at this point. The only hurdle between us and Europe was Kaerjang, an already relegated side. Could our wobbly legs, buckling knees, and blurry eyes even hold their composure for pre-match warmups, much less the actual 90 minutes?

Surely we could drag ourselves across the line from that position...right? ...right?!

Haha...tremendous caption.

Good luck with the cannon fodder...playing against a side with nothing to lose is much less of an issue in-game, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Haha...tremendous caption.

Good luck with the cannon fodder...playing against a side with nothing to lose is much less of an issue in-game, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'd never really stopped to think about that, but that seems a fair statement. FM doesn't seem to capture the freedom those sides enjoy -- probably too weighed down by low morale from the beatings.

Esch seems dominant. :eek:

More on that in the season summary!

Avenir Beggen - 2020/2021

Avenir%20Beggen%20logo%20x2_zpsq2dh3q3o.png

Squad / League / Transfers

How was the league?

I generally try to only put non-essential information in hyperlinks, but I'm going to break that rule here. Click the large "League" above. Go ahead, I'll wait. Did you see it? Two things should jump out at you.

If you're not first, you're last.

So we're already recycling material, eh? That doesn't bode well for our dear readers. Regardless of the prosaic failure, Europe here we come! The influx of money should help propel the changes that will take us through what I'm considering the second phase of this challenge -- establish ourselves as a constant in the European slots.

Whatever. Anything else noteworthy?

This may sound like false modesty, but I don't feel like we're truly a top team in the league yet. We've got three stand-out, five star players who are somewhere between good and great at this level; the rest of the squad is 1-1.5. I'm not sure if the other tactics at this level are awful, we found the right vein of form, or the stars simply aligned this season. That's a question for my astrologist on Monday.

I'll also ask my tarot reader to evaluate Jeunesse Esch. I'm not too familiar with the cards, but I imagine the entire field will be dollar/pound/euro signs and pictures of the Luxembourg Ronaldo giving a cheeky thumbs up. As nie jem frytek noticed, they've been dominant. Not only was this their fourth consecutive title, they did it only losing two games, overtaking them will be very difficult. Although when I check their finances, they have significant debt. Maybe they'll financially implode. Magic 8 ball says "Ask again later." Useless.

Note our reputation increased to 1 star! I've got a good feeling about our next intake (despite no change in our youth coaching).

Recordkeeping:

2021%20-%20Facilities_zpsatc1ui0s.png

2021%20-%20Manager_zpsitqcreof.png

2021%20-%20Finances_zpstgmirrxg.png

If you're not first, you're last.

Hahaha! Nice. Never fear, I've got an entire world going on behind the screenshots of my save, and you're just starting to meet the recurring characters!

Good luck in Europe, brother.

Quite the gap between Jeunesse and the rest of the pack!

It's daunting. Very few transfers involving money in the league, but Jeunesse has bought and sold players for a few hundred thousand. They're on another level.

Hahaha! Nice. Never fear, I've got an entire world going on behind the screenshots of my save, and you're just starting to meet the recurring characters!

Good luck in Europe, brother.

Cheers! If I keep it half as entertaining as your first few posts in your thread, I'll be happy. Establishing ourselves in Europe will be quite the roller-coaster.

The boys gathered in excitement to view the inaugural draw. Our possible opponents mostly fell in the 3 to 5 coefficient range, not that we stood much chance against them. Then, with a 14 coefficient, loomed Kobenhavn. In between twirling his long mustaches in his fingers and cackling to himself, the UEFA Chairman pulled our name out of the bowl. We'd be traveling to Denmark. Joy abound!

2022%20-%20Europa%20Draw_zpsf7x5dztl.png

Before the second leg, the mood in the dressing room crackled with rising tension. The boys knew what was expected of them. And then...we only went and did it!

2022%20-%20Europa%20Result_zpsplix4p1v.png

It being scoring a goal. In between the horrible humiliation.

2022%20-%20Gate%20Receipts%20Record_zpshab2pmfd.png

But we got paid!

In his comments prior to Avenir Beggens' opening league match, Ralph Wiggum was unusually verbose in addressing questions about the club's burgeoning international support. The Berlin-born manager was asked by Pierre Prussian, an enterprising intern from the d'Lëtzebuerger Land and one of the few regular attendees of his blasé press conferences, about the outpouring of support on social media after Avenir Beggen's disastrous re-entry into European football.

PP: Mr. Wiggum, did you see the recent tweet by Malmö FF's manager, Aidan Cyr? He was extremely complementary of the atmosphere and team here at Avenir Beggen despite the result against FC København.

RW: The Tweeter? Many picture jokes. I do not understand the hashbrowns but they seem very popular. Hashbrown AvenirBeggenBackInEurope.

PP: That's... ahem. Any response you would like to share with Mr. Cyr and Malmö?

RW: What is a Malmö? Is internet word?

PP: It's a city in Sweden as well as a fairly historic football club in their top division.

RW: Malmö is good name for dog or boy. Come here, Malmö! Don't eat that, Malmö! Fetch, Malmö!

PP: ...

RW: I tell Malmö he's good boy. Thank you for his support. Many treats to come.

A week before this year's youth intake, I gambled. I swapped my HoYD to this Fairly Professional fellow:

2022%20-%20HoYD_zpsvtmel000.png

I'd love to say it was a deeply reasoned decision, but it was more of an instinct than anything. I'm a much happier manager when my squad is professional; I didn't feel that the previous guy was doing enough.

2022%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zps9ainjqmq.png

On the face of it, Leweck did well but looking at the personality types I'm going to chalk this one up to the reputation increase more than anything. Regardless of the cause, my prayers have been answered. Normally I only tag the best, but with any luck 4-5 of these players will be solid enough by the summer go right into the lineup; the rest are strong challengers for the five bench positions.

2022%20-%20A_zps9v68619y.png

The crown jewel. Engel is immediately one of the top 5 players at the club. Target men aren't my usual strikers so it may take some tweaking to adjust the tactics to fit him in.

2022%20-%20B_zpsfsizxmez.png

Another nailed on starter. Not much of a crosser, but talented. May also require some tweaking to fit him in.

2022%20-%20C_zpsf0vaa99n.png

Not much of anything yet, but that could be said for most of my CMs. Likely a backup to start although I have hope for his development since he's Fairly Professional.

2022%20-%20D_zpsqsihm1sc.png

Miles better than the incumbent with the ball. Wish he was a touch quicker.

2022%20-%20E_zpsldgdkued.png

Backup to Peiffer above but with more of a winger's distribution of attributes.

2022%20-%20F_zpsbe4rmpyx.png

Another backup, albeit one that will be a consistent substitute.

2022%20-%20G_zpsdqrtkqsb.png

With a little shuffling, Oberweis probably displaces our existing DL that has stalled out. I probably won't train him to play there though since we're still only semi-pro and our training isn't great.

2022%20-%20H_zps5secic2k.png

Slow, but two footed and multi-dimensional going forward. Might take some thinking but I'm intrigued by the possibilities here.

2022%20-%20I_zpszbxmfr0q.png

I very much want him to grow into our midfield. Unfortunately he's Unambitious and I don't have a lot of faith in his development. I may have gone overboard with my tags.

2022%20-%20J_zps6omuujaq.png

Another DC, why not? He'll need to put to train well to solidify a spot as the 4th DC. Anything beyond that would be pleasing.

The d'Lëtzebuerger Land wishes to issue a correction. In a previous article, comments made by Malmö FF ultra Håkan Telleus were mistakenly attributed to Aidan Cyr, Malmö FF's manager. d'Lëtzebuerger Land greatly regrets this error. Unfortunately errors such as this happen when interns are allowed too much responsibility.

Mr. Cyr, apologies to you and the public for any confusion this error caused. This paper wishes you nothing but the best on your upcoming season.

Mr. Telleus, please stop mailing us fish wrapped in copies of yesterday's d'Lëtzebuerger Land. We are unsure whether this is a threat or you are simply sharing a Swedish delicacy. Regardless, our offices are becoming uninhabitable.

Signed,

Elsy Gaul

Chief Editor of d'Lëtzebuerger Land

Laughing my head off over here...brilliant. Tragically, Mr.Telleus remains unaccounted for.

Engel looks very solid. What role(s) do you typically play with up front?

Likewise! The "crossovers" keep things entertaining in between the drier updates.

Generally, one of DLF(s)/DLF(a)/DF(s). My last few saves have been youth-only challenges and the fates seem to conspire to give me, at best, only one better-than-mediocre striker. Which leads to one striker formations that, at least in my head, function more smoothly with a linking-type striker. Engel is making me ponder how to play to his strengths though.

The game was even uglier than the scoreline. For as difficult as it can be sometimes to tell the difference in players' pace when watching the match engine, it was quite clear that Copenhagen could run circles around us. Very much a reminder of our current place in the footballing world.

Avenir Beggen - 2021/2022

How was the league?

We fell short of Europe. As much as I was momentarily frustrated by coming up short in our last few games, it was hard to be truly upset. We're almost top 4 good at the moment; last year was half-fluke.

You've peaked.

We haven't even begun to peak! And when we do peak, you'll know it! Ahem...maybe that frustration hasn't entirely dissipated yet.

Jeuness Esch cruised the league with a spotless record. They're the only professional club in the league at the moment. Catching up to them will take a herculean effort; we've had more of a post-Delilah Samson season.

Our first recruits since we've reached a one star reputation are phenomenal. Long may this continue. In fact, we're the Luxembourg sides just ahead of us are 1.5 stars. We may not need to wrestle a three-headed hound of hell to make the next leap; maybe just some crazy glue and a sack of lovely locks from the neighborhood barber.

Recordkeeping:

2022%20-%20Facilities_zpsrbddnsbq.png

2022%20-%20Manager_zpsziplqpes.png

2022%20-%20Finances_zps0rz6yee7.png

Beggen For a Deal

Gilles Schleck

Luxembourger Wort

News broke today of a potential takeover of Luxembourg National club Avenir Beggen. Anonymous sources have suggested that the club's staff feel hopeful that the rumored financial move materializes. When pressed for comment, Davide Santer, the club's Press Officer reiterated that the manager's sentiments were mixed.

DS: Mr. Wiggum asked that we respect the process and refrain from speculation. In his words, "More business money is happy. Goodbye friends is sad." The club has no further comment at this time.

2023%20-%20Takeover%20Start_zpsugrnbldh.png

It's not a complication that I had anticipated at the start, but Jeunesse Esch's dominance is going to put a very unique spin on this challenge. Most similar challenges start with pretty quickly becoming the tallest of the ants, girding yourself with CL money, and then trying to evolve into something more predatory on the continent.

Here, as you suggest, I get the impression that I'll struggle in EL for a while and have to make the most of less to gradually catch up. Hopefully it leads to a fascinating story, even if I fail miserably. Cheers for following along, jengaehassim!

Tumultuous Takeover Completes

Gilles Schleck

Luxembourger Wort

The long rumored takeover of Avenir Beggen completed today, nearly six months after the saga began. Davide Santer, the club's Press Officer, briefly spoke with reporters.

DS: Mr. Wiggum and the club have no comment at this time. No comment.

[silence]

DS: This mic is off right? Great. Damn time this thing is resolved. Been on and off more times than Ross and Rachel. What?! It's still on?

[Garbled noises]

[silence]

DS: No further comment.

2023%20-%20Takeover%20End_zps2tsf4u8q.png

2023%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zps42qk5hzg.png

We've stuck with the same HoYD as last year. Not in love with the personalities, but that's looking for clouds on a sunny day. Very, very happy with this intake.

2023%20-%20A_zpsg5bvaapv.png

Immediate starter at DL. A little bit of a pansy, although I'm delighted with his determination and personality (Fairly Professional).

2023%20-%20B_zpsx9dsddc8.png

Wasn't I just saying that I never play two striker formations? That's likely going to change next season. Hard working and an amazing finisher. Time to start thinking about the right pairing up top for next season.

2023%20-%20C_zpsgmaqilqd.png

My next back-up striker. Solid depth even if he doesn't massively develop.

2023%20-%20D_zpsll5xfprv.png

Could potentially challenge for the DR spot in a season or two if he improves.

ds: Mr. Wiggum and the club have no comment at this time. No comment.

[silence]

ds: This mic is off right? Great. Damn time this thing is resolved. Been on and off more times than ross and rachel. What?! It's still on?

[garbled noises]

[silence]

ds: No further comment.

We were on a break! :eek:

Avenir Beggen - 2022/2023

How was the league?

Cruised to 4th, not able to threaten for higher or in danger of slipping lower.

On the grind. Chasin' that paper.

Your sudden enthusiasm confuses me. Is this some kind of reverse psychology I don't understand? I'm keeping an eye on you...

Jeunesse Esch wins the league again. Not exactly sneaking up on their unassailable position.

Our reputation grows to 1.5 stars (somehow); which is also suspicious now that I think about it. Engel is bedding in well up top. The takeover hasn't made a difference in any way I can tell. League and national team rep continues to bounce around in a narrow range.

Things are good not great. Is this stasis? Events seem carefully orchestrated to maintain the status quo. Am I in the Truman Show and don't realize it? My Assistant Manager does smile a little too much. Our training facilities did upgrade though so maybe this is just a brief plateau and a little Instant Result can help me plow through.

Recordkeeping:

2023%20-%20Facilities_zpsgnt10nb6.png

2023%20-%20Manager_zpsxeowdbff.png

2023%20-%20Finances_zpskljsycqf.png

Back in Europe. The draw shapes up thusly:

2024%20-%20Draw%20Options_zpsixj68jf7.png

Notice none of our potential opposition has a coefficient in the 14s? Me either.

2014%20-%20Draw_zpsc8gesur6.png

Going strictly by the numbers, there shouldn't be a repeat of Copenhagen's woodshed treatment from our last European adventures. Hopefully.

K.O.ed in Kazakhstan

Gilles Schleck

Luxembourger Wort

Avenir Beggen slumped to a Europa League exit at home tonight, unable to delight the home crowd at Stade rue Henri Dunant. The stands bounced throughout the respectable result, although bemusing pro-democracy songs punctuated lulls in the action. Club officials refused to comment on the record, but one employee suggested that in the prior match Manager Wiggum confused Shakhter Karaganda, a Kazakh club, with the similarly spelled Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine; his staff gamely played along throughout the trip, not having the heart to correct his ensuing excitement.

Jacques Kremer, head of the nascent ultra group Wiggum's Imps and local grocer, had this to say about the occasion:

"Pure genius to amp the gents with a bit of roleplaying. Wiggum's Imps were happy to contribute to the atmosphere with political banter. We tried to work in a chant about our own government as well, but 'parliamentary representative democratic monarchy' had too many syllables. Fair play to Shakhter for not spoiling the trick and safe travels back to Kazakhstan."

2024%20-%20Result_zpskpzjjbbu.png

Cracking up at the last few updates. Truman Show reference was perfect. :lol:

You're right, this is a unique challenge in that Jeunesse are miles above any other club in the country. How are they doing in UCL qualifying? Trying to gauge if they're genuinely good or just less bad than the rest of your league.

Cracking up at the last few updates. Truman Show reference was perfect. :lol:

You're right, this is a unique challenge in that Jeunesse are miles above any other club in the country. How are they doing in UCL qualifying? Trying to gauge if they're genuinely good or just less bad than the rest of your league.

Thanks! Cheers!

Probably a little from column A, a little from column B. They've threatened to do well in the CL a few seasons, but never quite put together a run beyond the second round. What the results below don't show is that outside of the ties versus the bigger names (Olympiacos, Maccabi Tel Aviv, and Hajduk), they were one goal away from advancing. Some of their poor results may come from their manager; he's not particularly impressive stats-wise despite their success.

Putting on my detective hat, best I can tell Jeunesse Esch used the money from those first couple of CL qualifications to go Professional and grab a few impressive players. That's cemented their dominance so long as their finances don't implode. Which seems a real possibility at the moment with a club value of $0 and debts of $6M. Very interesting situation -- not sure if I want to see that or not. I would think they're a prime takeover candidate.

2024%20-%20Jeunesse%20Esch%20CL_zpsmy154n5l.png

Excellent Elder Elicits Effusive Praise

Gilles Schleck
Luxembourger Wort

A record setting goal an elder German statesman prompted an unplanned media presser by Avenir Beggen's manager. As he exited the club's training facilities, Mr. Wiggum spotted disgraced intern Pierre Prussian and pressed him into filming "an internet for that impressive fellow". Seated on a nearby bench, Wiggum held court for an awkward YouTube video while an obviously flustered Press Officer, identified as Davide Santer, wandered in and out of frame.

RW: Exceptional record. Exceptional player. Champions League is such competitive, to score at 40.5? Wolf in sheep's clothing, but now shepherds. With the crook, yes? Woolly little man rolls back the years. Baa! Exceptional.

PP: I've...Those are just horrible puns. Phillip La--

RW: Puns?! No, no. No. Very offensive. Not since long ago. My grandfather Attila twists in his death hole. He, we -- Germans! My congratulations to the record setter!

2024%20-%20Lahm%20CL%20Record_zpsnf2c6bm

Avenir Beggen - 2023/2024

How was the league?

4th again, although we had a decent chance at 2nd with as few as 2 games remaining.

Next verse, same as the first verse.

No, you're... well actually you're right. Not much to differentiate from the past season beyond the exceptional intake.

My enthusiasm for this batch of youth and saying goodbye to Yanik Plumer. As a sure starter for nine seasons, he's the last of the original players. But he's turned 31 and his only notable quality is his rapidly declining pace and acceleration; no room for sentimentality.

2024%20-%20Adios%20Plumer_zpsdcuqbe2r.pn

Recordkeeping:

2024%20-%20Facilities_zpskrv9nynw.png

2024%20-%20Manager_zpsyydi4ljf.png

2024%20-%20Finances_zpszn5yqwdu.png

He may not be recognizable to those outside the US, but look who surprisingly showed up at Jeunesse Esch. Small world.

2025%20-%20Joe%20Corona_zps4bbblrnr.png

Speaking of surprises, first cap for any of my players. di Bari has been fantastic this year and grown in leaps and bounds. My Assistant rates him as a leading player for the league.

2025%20-%20di%20Bari%201st%20Cap_zps0gox

Continuing the theme of unexpected events, Jeunesse Esch finally loses. After 112 league games undefeated. That's more than 4 seasons.

2025%20-%20Jeunesse%20Esch%20streak_zpsd

23 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Joe Corona, lmao! What in the world. Decent result against the Swedish club in all honesty.

I did a double take when I saw the name. Apparently Jeunesse Esch scouts Mexico, as he came straight from Liga MX without any previous European experience.

In retrospect, my disappointment was a result of an inflated confidence. The odds were long, but I thought we could give them a game.

2025%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zpsccuqbtmb.pn

[Fans self]

[Collapses]

[Is dead but happy]

2025%20-%20A_zps6udoj0ct.png

2025%20-%20B_zpsjaowoz75.png

2025%20-%20C_zpsvyd3gbge.png

The depth is fantastic, but these three will probably be in the first 11+5 as soon as possible. I'd named a 17 year old my captain prior to the season because of his decent personality; despite being only 2 stars, he's able to tutor Moris. This feels like a bigger loophole than I realized and I'm already pondering ways to abuse it as we speak. Maybe awful personalities aren't as unrecoverable at this point as they seemed.

Had no idea about that captain-tutoring loophole. Game changer.

Schauls isn't the most exciting 4.5* CA player I've ever seen but I like his attribute balance for the most part. Should be great defensively and get up and down the pitch. 18 flair is uhhh... something to spice up matches that I'm sure aren't the best to watch.

Moris is similar, although the personality is a bummer.

Engel is my favorite by far and should dominate the league. Need to get his acceleration up, though.

All in all very good. :thup: 

20 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Had no idea about that captain-tutoring loophole. Game changer.

Schauls isn't the most exciting 4.5* CA player I've ever seen but I like his attribute balance for the most part. Should be great defensively and get up and down the pitch. 18 flair is uhhh... something to spice up matches that I'm sure aren't the best to watch.

Moris is similar, although the personality is a bummer.

Engel is my favorite by far and should dominate the league. Need to get his acceleration up, though.

All in all very good. :thup: 

I'll be exploring/gambling with frequent captaincy changes over the next couple years in game to see what the limits are. Exactly, that much flair for a DR at a this level is comical :D; he's not a football player, he's an entertainer!

Since I'm a month or two ahead, I can tell you that the tutoring of Moris is going fairly well so far. He's gained a couple points of Determination which at least bumps him up to Balanced. In a perfect world he'd make it all the way to Fairly Professional like my captain, but that's enough of an improvement that he'll be more useful than he initially looks.

EDIT: Actually he's gone all the way to Fairly Professional and Reserved. That's brilliant!

8 hours ago, deltablue said:

Great to see that intake

Thanks! Our competitiveness in Europe is dependent on another intake or two like this.

Archived