[FM13] Jousting with giants: following in the footsteps of Jim McLean

withnail316

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought you had a good chance in the cup of going further :( Hopefully you'll get decent funds to improve the squad in the summer because especially if Rangers come up you're going to have extra competition for European spots next year

Yeah, Falkirk was a great draw, we just didn't turn up. Really disappointing.

I don't have to worry about Rangers for a while though, they are currently a Third Division club.

April & May

SPL: Dundee United 2-1 Aberdeen

Our final game before the (very odd) SPL split saw our old rivals come to town, and we sent them home with their tails between their legs. The scoreline again says this was close, but we murdered them. Stuart Armstrong scored a rocket to put us in front after 20 minutes, before they scored with their only shot on target. We missed dozens of chances (something to work on next year) before Billy McKay slotted home a winner 10 minutes from time.

SPL - Championship Group: Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee United

A very different game, as so many have been away from home this year. We lacked the fluency of the previous week, and we crumbled from a set-piece to allow Aberdeen to keep their European push alive.

SPL - Championship Group: Dundee United 2-0 St Johnstone

This was one of our most efficient performances of the season, and a game which secured our place in Europe next year. John Rankine's 40 yard strike opened the scoring, capitalising on an error from their keeper, and captain Sean Dillon sealed it after an hour with a glancing header.

SPL - Championship Group: Dundee United 2-0 Celtic

The Bhoys had checked out of their league campaign in recent weeks, and even lost 5-0 to St Mirren last time out. Still, a win is a win, and a first win over the Glasgow giants is a big boost for next year. Gary Mackay-Steven and Gavin Gunning got the goals.

SPL - Championship Group: Dundee United 1-1 St Mirren

The Buddies had only lost one game since the end of February, and were only denied a place in the Scottish Cup Final by a penalty shoot out, so this was another big test for us. We were largely second best, but John Rankine at least ensured we'd finish the season unbeaten at home in domestic games.

SPL - Championship Group: Kilmarnock 4-3 Dundee United

I told the lads to go out and enjoy the final day, they'd worked hard all year and had done brilliantly to qualify for Europe. I had a slightly different reaction at half time when we were 4-0 down. A much better second half thanks to Harry Kane (2) and Ryan Gauld, but a 10th away defeat in the league was disappointing.

Final_table_1213.png.8b19c80c73ed997b46b26bf9eb84b783.png

DUFCcrest.png.9f890cefc835c41abdb33484294c3f48.png

Dundee United FC - Season summary

2012/13

League Scottish Premier League

Media prediction: 4th (of 12)

Finished: 2nd

Cups

Scottish Cup: (Board expectation - semi final) Quarter Final

League Cup: Board expectation - semi final) Quarter Final

Europe

Europa League group stage

Top scorers

Johnny Russell: 46 appearances (45 starts): 16 goals (11 in the league)

Michael Gardyne: 39 appearances (31 starts): 12 goals (7 in the league)

Positives

A pretty good first season all-in-all. It was good to become the 'best of the rest' at the first attempt, and our home form in particular was really pleasing. The European adventure was great while it lasted too, the extra cash was a huge bonus and we were just one goal away from going even further. This season has convinced me we have the nucleus of good side here, and so I don't expect to be doing anything too radical in the summer window,and I'd like to get a few more youngsters in and around the squad for next year. We're in a reasonable financial position as well, so I should only be selling players who I want to get rid of.

Concerns & disappointments

The very obvious disappointment was our performance in the domestic cups, where we underperformed according to the board's remit. The Motherwell loss was a shame, but the Falkirk defeat was inexcusable. I've been searching for the cure to our away-day blues all season, but we finish with 10 defeats away from home in the league and two cup losses, so I've got work to do in that area. Off the pitch, my only real concern is the contract of our best defender, Gavin Gunning. He and fellow centre back Dillon were ranked as the best two players in the league this year, but Gunning is out of contract next season and demanding (relatively) big bucks to stay on, so if the board don't provide a significant boost to my wage budget, I may have to sell him this summer.

Ambitions

We're not ready for a tilt at the title next year, but I'd like to think we can finish second again. If we can improve our away form we can also close that huge 16 point gap at the top, too. Other than that, another decent European adventure and a first trip to Hampden are on the agenda.

Surprise of the season

Our European adventure was a lot of fun, but this is probably reserved for our cup defeat at Falkirk.

Player of the season

Manager's choice: Gavin Gunning. He was Mr Consistency this year, and we were a much poorer team without him. If I am forced to sell, he'll be a huge hole to fix in our back four.

Fan's choice: Sean Dillon

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 4,049 v Morton in the League Cup

Highest attendance: 13,980 v Lyon in the Europa League

Average attendance: 9,497 - 66% of capacity (9,290 in the league - 5th largest in the division)

Finances

£2,496,974

How far do you think it's possible to go? Is second as good as it gets, or with Rangers out of the way, is it possible to push Celtic off top spot? I get the impression that Celtic are not really going full tilt at the league (IRL) and are somewhat concentrating on Europe. Not sure how that would be modelled in FM if indeed it is true and not just my impression. They're certainly very dominant on your save and look tough to shift. Good luck :)

How far do you think it's possible to go? Is second as good as it gets, or with Rangers out of the way, is it possible to push Celtic off top spot? I get the impression that Celtic are not really going full tilt at the league (IRL) and are somewhat concentrating on Europe. Not sure how that would be modelled in FM if indeed it is true and not just my impression. They're certainly very dominant on your save and look tough to shift. Good luck :)

Cheers fella. Celtic are definitely very dominant, they won both cups as well as the league by 16 points, but I'm always an optimist when it comes to FM, so long-term I'm looking to topple them. It's not going to be achieved in two or three seasons (especially as they are spending nearly £20m a year in wages - for comparison, I'm spending under £1.5m) so that will bring Rangers back into play down the line, but my aim is certainly to usurp them. I accept I'm going to need to boost our funds to try to bridge the gap, and as there is only one Champions League spot, I'll have to do that by selling high and buying low, although I'd rather keep all my Scottish players where possible. It's the kind of long-term challenge I was looking for though, and so far I'm really enjoying it.

As for what's possible, my Scandinavian save taught me anything can be done with a little perseverance.. so I guess time will tell!

You have a cracking academy, if you can keep Mackay-Steven and Gauld for the wings some shrewd buying and selling should hopefully see you close the gap.

Yeah, the academy has certainly helped United over the years. I just wish GMS wasn't made out of string - he's been injured four times since I've been at the club (and taken countless other in-match knocks) so he missed three months of last season. Gauld could develop into a brilliant player, but he's too inconsistent at the moment. Inevitable really, considering he's been in and around the side since he was 16.

Apart from the cups you had a good season in all honesty, 2nd is about as good as you could have hoped for in the 1st season, hopefully you can pick up a few good frees/bargains this summer and improve the squad

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with 2nd. I'd have been happy with 4th tbh, it was just frustrating to see us lose so many games away from home when we were so strong at Tannadice. I'm hoping that should change this year as I think the squad is now deeper, which means I can leave out under-performing players, which was really difficult to do last year.

DUFCcrest.png.74d99191b4ce7b286a1239340fcec2c4.png

Dundee United FC - season preview 2013/14

Media expectation: 2nd (of 12)

Board expectation: challenge for the title / make semi-final of Scottish Cup / semi-final of League Cup / learn from Europa League experience

Transfer budget (remaining): £780,000

Wage budget: £40,100p/w (£1,500p/w under budget)

Ready to go for another season then, although not before an unexpected job offer from Strømsgodset IF in Norway. It was a good offer too, with a 25% pay rise and bigger wage and transfer budgets, but I'm quite happy at Tannadice. We have very similar expectations to last year from the board, and although I'm a little unnerved they expect a title challenge in just my second season, I see no reason at all to suggest that second place is beyond us. You'll notice that the board gave us a significant increase in both budgets this year, my thinking is that only Celtic and Hearts will have bigger wage budgets than us in the top flight now, so it's up to me to use it wisely.

My first decision at the end of last season was to dismiss my assistant manager Simon Donnelly. He was decent enough, but I need to trust the judgement of my assistant, and I was questioning his towards the end of last year. I was also fortunate that the board agreed to my request for extra coaches, so we're a little stronger off the pitch. Speaking of fortunate, I'd almost given up hope of keeping my player of the year Gavin Gunning, but he signed a new five-year deal this summer after a chat in the manager's office. It did mean I had to put a buy-out clause in his contract for a measly £3m, but it is around 3 and half times his current value, and he agreed to only make it accessible to foreign clubs. It would hurt to lose him, but him joining another SPL club would be salt in the wound, and this will at least take that off the table.

Unlike last year, I didn't have to sell players in order to bring others in, but I did decide to let a few go. Midfielder Michael Gardyne wanted his wages topping up to match the better players at the club, but I decided he wasn't worth the money he was asking for. He departed for Peterborough United for £250,000, which was the only fee we received this summer. Misfit striker Emile Mpenza joined Motherwell on a free, and midfielder Mark Millar joined Hibernian. Those three players leaving freed up around 10% of our weekly wage budget, so I think it was good business. I also allowed promising youngster Paddy Barrett to join Falkirk on loan for the rest of the season, while youngsters Darren Petrie and John Souttar will drop into the reserve set-up.

Coming in, I was much more active than I'd originally anticipated being, but we're a much better side for it (touch wood, obviously). We spent around £1.2m in transfer fees, taking us up to £2.6m since I arrived last year, although I have done the vast majority of my shopping from inside Scotland. The first arrival was defender Andrea Mei, who had had a solid year at Ross County last season. He arrived for a reasonable £240,000, and will offer good competition to Gunning and Dillon. Next to arrive was right-back Tom Hateley for £400,000 from Motherwell. Right back was a problem for us last year when Watson was unavailable, but we now have excellent options there. One from left-field next, attacking midfielder Herolind Shala was on the transfer list at Molde in Norway, so we picked him up for £350,000. I would expect him to start on the bench, but his versatility could be really handy this season, plus it'll allow me to rest Stuart Armstrong from time to time. Finally, David Wotherspoon came in from Hibernian for £250,000. He's an upgrade on Gardyne, and should do well for us.

I also signed a couple of goalkeepers on Bosman deals. Cammy Bell will be our new number 1, while Sam Johnstone's loan deal was made permanent from Manchester United. Speaking of loans, Celtic defender Lewis Toshney and Wolves striker Liam McAlinden arrived on temporary deals, although I don't expect either of them to feature too often for us.

I have no more plans for new additions, so I'm now into my friendlies - the next being the visit of parent club Tottenham.

5a31a16506f3b_AndreaMei.thumb.png.2755634d27a57380ec3212f12cfb2427.png5a31a1707aed9_TomHateley.thumb.png.fbae1394b6eecd32de43d508b2f364eb.png5a31a16aec2c7_HerolindShala.thumb.png.4b8920f70e12111621c5642d760279e3.png5a31a16ce8647_LewisToshney.thumb.png.6270eeb66c9230534af4dfb2c4c58dfa.png5a31a16e9ac3b_LiamMcAlinden.thumb.png.8369efc5ca4cbe32fab90809910e49d9.png5a31a167176cc_CammyBell.thumb.png.ae0fb2e11eb3b74bda6e124c8fde2a81.png5a31a169103a5_DavidWotherspoon.thumb.png.90344048f9410327f4a7e6104b2ddaad.png

Europa_League_Logo.thumb.jpg.001a141912082cc30a7e4ec8be26d68a.jpg

UEFA Europa League- 3rd Qualifying Round

1st Leg: Dundee United 4-1 Brøndby IF

A tough looking tie on paper, but we raced out of the blocks and grabbed three quick goals to settle a few tangerine nerves. Johnny Russell opened the scoring, nodding home from a Wotherspoon cross, and then Russell turned provider for Armstrong. Wotherspoon got in on the act just before half time with a driven effort, and despite conceding a second half penalty, Tom Hateley's curling effort in stoppage time gave us a great lead to take to Denmark.

2nd Leg: Brøndby IF 2-2 Dundee United

An entertaining second leg, but from the moment Russell put us in front we were as good as through. Despite conceding twice in the second half, Ritchie Ryan levelled things up late on from close range.

We'll meet Maritimo of Portugal in the play-off round.

Europa_League_Logo.thumb.jpg.33bd80b1de078cfc3a200c9df5ccd85b.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Play Off

1st Leg: Maritimo 0-2 Dundee United

An outstanding performance in Portugal, where we dominated for 90 minutes near enough. Andrew Shinnie's rocket after 25 minutes opened the scoring, and despite us creating chance after chance, we couldn't find a second until the 84th minute. Billy McKay was fouled in the area, and he stepped up to slot away a crucial second.

2nd Leg: Dundee United 0-1 Maritimo

OK, I'm delighted to be through, but we really let ourselves down here. A dismal display, and if it wasn't for a brilliant last minute Cammy Bell stop we'd have been eliminated. Really poor, but we're through and we'll face Stuttgart, Lokomotiv Moscow and Galatasaray in the group stage.

Europa_League_Logo.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Play Off

1st Leg: Maritimo 0-2 Dundee United

An outstanding performance in Portugal, where we dominated for 90 minutes near enough. Andrew Shinnie's rocket after 25 minutes opened the scoring, and despite us creating chance after chance, we couldn't find a second until the 84th minute. Billy McKay was fouled in the area, and he stepped home to slot away a crucial second.

2nd Leg: Dundee United 0-1 Maritimo

OK, I'm delighted to be through, but we really let ourselves down here. A dismal display, and if it wasn't for a brilliant last minute Cammy Bell stop we'd have been eliminated. Really poor, but we're through and we'll face Stuttgart, Lokomotiv Moscow and Galatasaray in the group stage.

I can understand being frustrated at scraping through after a brilliant first leg result, but if the fresults had been the other way round (i.e lose the first leg 1-0 in Maritimo, win 2-0 at home to go through), you'd have been delighted, right? Sometimes you have to accept that the team will underperform in a second leg if they think the job's done from the first leg. which given you got 2 away goals without reply, you'd have needed a nightmare second leg to actually go out.

I can understand being frustrated at scraping through after a brilliant first leg result, but if the fresults had been the other way round (i.e lose the first leg 1-0 in Maritimo, win 2-0 at home to go through), you'd have been delighted, right? Sometimes you have to accept that the team will underperform in a second leg if they think the job's done from the first leg. which given you got 2 away goals without reply, you'd have needed a nightmare second leg to actually go out.

I take your point, and of course I'm pleased to go through, but it was more the performance in the second leg than the result which bothered me. Too much complacency, too many ratings of 6.5 and below. Ok, we got through, but if that continues it could cost us in future.

August

SPL: Dundee United 3-1 Livingston

Newly-promoted Livi were no match for us on the opening day, although we started the game really slowly. Shinnie's free kick put us in front just after half time, before Wotherspoon smashed across the keeper for a debut strike. Stuart Armstrong sealed it with a typical rocket from 25 yards.

SPL: Hibernian 0-0 Dundee United

An open game at Easter Road, and a decent point in the end. It could have been so different had Billy McKay tucked home a great chance with five minutes to go, but his fierce effort hit the post with the keeper beaten.

SPL: Dundee United 3-1 Ross County

Another solid home display, and three goals from set-pieces. Gavin Gunning grabbed a couple, while his defensive partner Dillon poked home the third.

SPL: Motherwell 4-3 Dundee United

Motherwell, bloody Motherwell. I'm developing something of a hatred towards them after this defeat, which is the sixth time we've failed to beat them so far in my career. Things were all going so well too, with Mackay-Steven, Herolind Shala and Shinnie giving us a 3-1 lead at half time, but a disaster of a second half ensured we left Fir Park with nothing. Disappointing.

• 2 months later...

September

September has been an interesting month, with something of a challenge in the squad. Herolind Shala, our Norwegian attacking midfielder who only joined us in the summer, got rather antsy with me after I left him out of the side for under-performing. I picked him again for a cup tie against a 4th tier side, told him I expected a performance, and he was shocking. I responded by fining him two weeks wages, and he demanded a transfer. Immediately, Rosenborg offered us £725,000, a significant profit on the £350,000 we'd paid to sign him, and I gladly accepted. He'll leave the club in January, but until then he'll rot in the reserves.

I've signed a replacement too, Celtic's Dylan McGeouch will join us for £600,000, also in January.

Dylan_McGeouch.thumb.png.e0077ac0e49bc52fd5f1f63337d3dff6.png

Slight change to how I'll update this month's matches, simply because I can't remember anything about them! Just scores and goalscorers, although I'll be back to normal next time.

SPL: Dundee United 2-0 St Johnstone

Stuart Armstrong, Liam McAlinden

SPL: Dundee 2-2 Dundee United

Johnny Russell, Gavin Gunning

Europa League Group I: Dundee United 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow

Gary Mackay-Steven, Andrea Mei

League Cup 3rd Round: Dundee United 2-0 Stenhousmuir

Billy McKay, Ryan Gauld

SPL: Aberdeen 0-4 Dundee United

Johnny Russell, OG, Steven Wotherspoon, Ryan Gauld

September_13.thumb.png.b57a4d3d7e25b14329b16cce7aec90d9.png

October

Europa League Group I: Galatasaray 2-0 Dundee United

Not a surprise that we lost in Turkey, but this was disappointing considering the way we played. We were excellent for 60 minutes, and even missed a penalty through Russell, but a late double from Didier Drogba ensured we'd leave without a point.

SPL: Dundee United 6-0 St Mirren

This was absolutely tremendous, and Billy McKay was the star. He only scored twice in 16 games last year, but he bagged four here including a first-half hat-trick. Late rockets from Wotherspoon and Ryan secured one of the biggest wins of my time at Tannadice.

SPL: Kilmarnock 1-1 Dundee United

Another good display, although I'm disappointed we only picked up one point. McKay slotted home for us on the break after 20 minutes, but we switched off with 15 minutes to play and conceded from a soft set-piece.

Europa League Group I: Stuttgart 1-2 Dundee United

I really didn't see this coming. A magnificent display which leaves us with a chance of progression. I've no idea what has happened to McKay, but he bagged another double here, and despite conceding with 20 minutes to play, we managed to hold firm and pick up a priceless win.

SPL: Dundee United 1-2 Celtic

The big games keep coming, but I'm gutted with how this finished. Celtic scored from a flukey cross early on, but Stuart Armstrong's rocket after an hour levelled things up. We looked untroubled for the rest of the game, but in stoppage time, Tony Watt wriggled free and slotted into the corner. Gutting.

League Cup Quarter Final: Hearts 1-1 Dundee United (aet 4-5 on pens)

Delighted to be through, but we really made things difficult for ourselves. We fell behind after quarter of an hour, and after a rocket at half time, responded through McKay just before the hour. We missed a hatful of chances, but thankfully held our nerve when penalties came about.

We'll play local rivals Dundee in the Hampden semi final.

October_13.png.751aa92182035e3e68b06d3b24a6a76f.png

November

SPL: Dundee United 3-0 Hearts

A much more convincing scoreline than the cup tie three days before, Hearts simply couldn't cope with us. Billy McKay bagged two more, with Barry Douglas firing in a third late on.

Europa League Group I: Dundee United 2-3 Stuttgart

The score suggests this was close, but we were 3-0 down at half time. Sean Dillon and Aaron Doran scored 3 minutes apart to set things up in the final 10 minutes, but we got what we deserved.

SPL: Livingston 1-5 Dundee United

Livi have struggled to adapt to top-flight life, and were swept aside here. Shinnie grabbed a pair of free kicks, Doran scored a rocket from 20 yards, Russell ended his long drought with a smart header and McAlinden sealed it late on.

SPL: Ross County 0-2 Dundee United

A goal apiece from Russell and Armstrong kept our excellent form up, and saw us pull clear in second for the first time in weeks.

SPL: Dundee United 4-2 Hibernian

Terrific game, but once again we showed we can lift ourselves when we need to against almost every side in Scotland. Tom Hately, GMS and and Wotherspoon had us 3-0 up inside half an hour, and despite conceding two sloppy goals either side of half time, Shinnie's rocket sealed the points with 10 minutes to play.

Scottish Cup 4th Round: Dundee United 2-0 Cowdenbeath

I made plenty of changes for this one, with no fewer than 9 of our match-day squad being 21 and under. A solid display sees us safely through, with McAlinden getting both goals.

November_13.thumb.png.5fc602216b715f49d9ea8f151afb0f31.png

December

Europa League Group I: Lokomotiv Moscow 3-1 Dundee United

We had to win in Russia to stand any chance of going through, but we were always up against it. The Russians were three up in no time at all, and although Russell grabbed us a consolation, our European adventure was over in the group stages.

SPL: Dundee United 2-1 Motherwell

Motherwell have been a tough nut for us to crack, but we finally have a first win against them. Andrea Mei bundled home an early corner to put us in front, before Aaron Dorna smashed home a rocket. Motherwell fought hard in the second half, but we hung on for an excellent victory.

SPL: Dundee United 3-0 Dundee

Much more convincing against our local rivals. Russell stabbed us in front just on half time, and Mackay-Steven powered home a volley on the hour to make it two. Liam McAlinden capitalised on some poor goalkeeping to slot home a third in stoppage time - I'll take a repeat display in the cup semi final at Hampden next month!

Europa League Group I: Dundee United 2-2 Galatasaray

Disappointed we didn't win this one, but a good display anyway. We finish joint bottom of the group with five points, but we haven't disgraced ourselves. John Rankin and Stuart Armstrong the goalscorers.

SPL: St Johnstone 1-1 Dundee United

A real battle of a derby, and we looked destined for defeat until the 91st minute, when Tom Adeyemi smashed home from distance to secure us a point.

SPL: Hearts 2-2 Dundee United

Just prior to this game, I'd agreed a deal with Hearts youngster Ben Bruce to bring him to Tannadice next year on a free, so it was inevitable he'd open the scoring against us. Armstrong levelled, and Mackay-Steven put us in front, although we couldn't quite hang on. Still, a very reasonable point.

SPL: Dundee United 3-0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen are subject to a takeover at the moment, which could rescue them from their perilous state financially. They were woeful here, and Johnny Russell bagged all three to take him to 11 for the season.

December_13.png.a20d93e695a2a52f2a7049ad98b0ec72.png

Looking really good in the league. :thup:

Yeah, I can't complain too much. Celtic are miles ahead of us, but that's to be expected. I'm just hoping we can close the gap somewhat by the end of the year.

January

SPL: St Mirren 1-0 Dundee United

Really disappointed by this display. We just didn't show up, and got exactly what we deserved.

SPL: Celtic 1-1 Dundee United

This was a much better display, although we looked like leaving with nothing for a long period of time. Thankfully, Johnny Russell had other ideas, and he smashed home a leveller with three minutes to play.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock have been a really good side so far this year, and had beaten Celtic a couple of weeks back. This was really even, but once again Russell stepped up with a winner.

SPL: Dundee United 2-1 Livingston

I made lots of changes for this game in order to keep our main players fit for the semi-final, but luckily we had enough to take all three points. Ryan Gauld and Richie Ryan the scorers.

January_14.thumb.png.9d19b3ebd4471f537d39b042e0461dfb.png

One other piece of transfer news. Kilmarnock striker Cillian Sheridan has been in top form this year, bagging 14 goals so far. He was out of contract in the summer, and so I've managed to nip in and get him signed for next year. He offers something different, and may even give me the chance to use two strikers.

EDIT: unable to locate image. 

Very good career so far Withnail! Hopefully you'll be able to get closer to Celtic before Rangers inevitably try to mess you up get in the way :D

Love seeing the old screenshots from FM13 too, feeling a bit nostalgic :D

Very good career so far Withnail! Hopefully you'll be able to get closer to Celtic before Rangers inevitably try to mess you up get in the way :D

Love seeing the old screenshots from FM13 too, feeling a bit nostalgic :D

Cheers, I'm enjoying it so far, it's a decent challenge. I can't see us getting much closer to Celtic in the short-term, to be honest. We're too inconsistent, and I can't see that changing without significant investment. Unfortunately we've only got around £1m in the bank, so I just need to try and keep edging closer year on year and improving gradually. The squad is pretty solid I think, but we're still some distance away from being genuine title challengers. As for Rangers, I'll worry about that particular bridge when I come to it!

February

League Cup semi final: Dundee United 3-0 Dundee

A perfec display at Hampden sees us into the first cup final of my tenure. Gary Mackay-Steven got the ball rolling after four minutes, and Wotherspoon doubled our lead with a close range header 10 minutes later. Richie Ryan sealed it in the second half, and we'll meet rivals St Johnstone in next month's final.

SPL: Hibernian 1-1 Dundee United

Not a great display, so I'm happy enough with a point. Richie Ryan the scorer from distance.

Scottish Cup 5th Round: Kilmarnock 1-5 Dundee United

Absolutely blown away by this performance. Andrew Shinnie nodded us in front after half an hour, but Cillian Sheridan levelled soon after. We were magnificent in the second half though, with Mackay-Steven, Armstrong and McKay (2) all on target. We'll meet Motherwell in the quarters next month.

SPL: Dundee United 2-2 Ross County

We've rather taken our eye off the ball in the league, and we found ourselves two goals down here. Andrew Shinnie scored two rockets to ensure we picked up a point, but any hope of chasing down Celtic has now gone. Now we need to try and hold on to 2nd.

SPL: Motherwell 2-3 Dundee United

What a game. Motherwell in front early on, only for Shinnie and Mackay-Steven to turn the game around. They levelled with 20 to play, but Johnny Russell popped up with a stoppage time winner.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 St Johnstone

A tight and nervy affair in the league cup dress rehersal, but Stuart Armstrong's 20th minute strike was enough to secure the points. We lost Russell to injury though, which puts him in a race against time to be fit for Hampden.

SPL: Dundee 3-0 Dundee United

Devastated. We were absolutely awful, lost three players to injury (Gunning the most serious, who will definitely miss the league cup final) and I even fell out with right back Tom Hately, who was fined for his display. Not at all happy.

February_14.png.a193f9470bc82d85e05163e7b5e7e0fa.png

March

Scottish Cup Quarter Final: Motherwell 0-2 Dundee United

A magnificent way to respond after the disappointment of the derby defeat. David Wotherspoon powered us in front after 27 minutes, and Billy McKay slotted home a second half penalty to send us to Hampden for a third time this season. We'll meet Hearts, while Celtic play Falkirk in the other game.

SPL: Dundee United 4-1 Hearts

Really pleased with this performance, Hearts couldn't cope with us despite taking an early lead. Ryan Gauld levelled with a peach of a free-kick, and bundled home his second to put us in front right on half time. Richie Ryan and Ben Bruce's first United goal (albeit an OG!) sealed the win for us.

SPL: Aberdeen 1-3 Dundee United

A really solid display against Alex McLeish's new side, who have been linked to a tycoon takeover for months. Tom Hateley fired us in front after 25 minutes, and Wotherspoon made it two on the hour. Aberdeen pulled one back from a set-piece, but Armstrong sealed the points in stoppage time with a close-range finish.

SPL: Dundee United 0-1 St Mirren

Can't quite get my head around this performance, we just didn't show up. A midfield war of attrition, but on the day we simply weren't good enough.

5a31a40fd96be_March14.png.315b74d953ee2a4c15690a9ad1e81ac7.png

The Scottish League Cup Final

Sunday 16th March 2014

Dundee United v St Johnstone

Hampden Park, Glasgow

Route to the final - Dundee United:

Stenhousemuir (h): 2-0

Hearts (a): 1-1 (5-4 on pens)

Dundee (n): 3-0

Route to the final - St Johnstone

Peterhead (a): 2-0

Livingstone (a): 3-1

Kilmarnock (a): 1-0

St Mirren (n): 2-1

Our first cup final then, and against local rivals St Johnstone to boot. We were aiming to lift the "diddy cup" for the third time in total, and the first since 1981. St Johnstone meanwhile were looking to secure their first ever major honour.

They've had a disappointing year in the league, and although they are well clear of the bottom side Livingston, they are well off the pace to finish inside the top six when the split happens. Nevertheless, they are a dangerous outfit and they beat us twice last year.

My big decision prior to the game was whether to restore Johnny Russell up front after he recovered from injury, but I decided to leave him out and instead stick with top-scorer Billy McKay, while Andrea Mei replaced the injured Gavin Gunning in the back four. We stuck with our 4-2-3-1 system, and decided to have a real go at Saints.

The game got off to a slow start, and became something of a battle in midfield. The first chance went their way though, with Cammy Bell denying Stevie May from 10 yards after 20 minutes. Our first chance didn't come about until 5 minutes before half time, but it was a chance we took. Wotherspoon beat his full back before curling in a dangerous near post cross, and Stuart Armstrong got across his defender to flick home. We lost Gary Mackay-Steven to injury on the stroke of half time, but his replacement Aaron Doran had a key part to play in the second half. He led a counter after 49 minutes which brought a second goal, picking out Andrew Shinnie in space in the box who squared for Billy McKay to drill home from 15 yards. St Johnstone went all out attack in response, but couldn't find an answer, and we hung on for the first trophy of my tenure.

Final score - Dundee United 2-0 St Johnstone

Think you've done well enough in Europe to get a better seeding in next year's Europa?

Or are Scotland doing well enough to get you into the Champions League?

Sadly not, Scotland's coefficient has plummeted, so we're miles off another Champions League spot. Slowly slowly is the way forward for me.

Hoping I get a chance to play some more later, but until then I'm agonising over whether to sell one of our best players this summer to generate some money. Statistically, Johnny Russell is top quality, but he's too streaky for my liking. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a 25 goal a season striker, and selling him for anywhere close to £3m would be enormous for us as a club. Hmm.

April

SPL: Kilmarnock 1-2 Dundee United

An efficient performance which just about seals 2nd spot for the second successive season. Billy McKay fired us in front right on half time, before Sheridan nodded home a leveller. I'd have taken a point, but Richie Ryan had other ideas and secured a win in the 89th minute.

SPL: Dundee United 3-1 Celtic

Delighted is an understatement. Celtic were terrific in the first half and should have been more than one goal up, but I let rip at the players at half time, and they responded brilliantly. Gavin Gunning flicked home a corner at the start of the second half, and then thumped home a header from a free kick with five to play. Gary Mackay-Steven sealed the victory two minutes later, pouncing on a defensive mishap to keep us still in the title picture - albeit only just.

Scottish Cup Semi Final: Dundee United 2-1 Hearts

Not at all happy with the performance, but the result is all that matters. Ben Bruce put Hearts in front after 20 seconds, but two goals in the last 15 minutes from McKay and Shinnie put us into a second final of the season. However, we'll be missing Russell at Hampden, as he's out for six weeks with an ankle problem.

SPL: Motherwell 2-2 Dundee United

A decent point, but the main talking point was an injury to top scorer Billy McKay. He tore a calf muscle, which will keep him out for at least four months. That means we have one fit striker at the club, with four league games and a cup final to come. McKay and Armstrong the scorers.

April_14.png.792f4e30fc80b6f6e73fb2e6e871b173.png

Looks like we're "thread rivals" (does this exist?), I just took over Dundee Utd too. Only then I found out about this thread! Doing very very well so far here.

May the best Dundee Utd manager win. :D

Looks like we're "thread rivals" (does this exist?), I just took over Dundee Utd too. Only then I found out about this thread! Doing very very well so far here.

May the best Dundee Utd manager win. :D

Best of luck at Tannadice, fella. I'm really enjoying this so far, even if it has taken me an eternity just to play two seasons! Best of luck overthrowing Celtic (and Rangers too, for that matter!)

May

SPL: Dundee United 3-1 St Mirren

An effective display against one of only two sides to win at Tannadice this year. Liam McAlinden scored a pair of penalties, and Andrew Shinnie drilled home a third in stoppage time.

SPL: Celtic 2-0 Dundee United

Not a shock to lose this one, especially when I had to rotate heavily in order to keep players fit for the cup final. No disgrace only losing by a couple, although both came from errors by our stand-in keeper.

SPL: Dundee United 3-1 Kilmarnock

Liam McAlinden grabbed two more, really taking his chance up front in the absence of McKay and Russell. Cillian Sheridan again scored against us, he has finished the year with 25 goals so should be a good addition for us next year. Mackay-Steven grabbed the other.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 Ross County

A peach of a Ryan Gauld free kick was the difference here, although Cammy Bell also saved a penalty to ensure the league season finished with three more points.

5a31a5824d490_Finaltable1314.thumb.png.a21ade9cebff8075b236b96201f13725.png

Scottish_cup_trophy.thumb.jpg.add3b8b4fbeb83296ed4fb4b5a5d4b37.jpg
The Scottish Cup Final

Saturday 17th May 2014

Dundee United v Celtic

Hampden Park, Glasgow

Route to the final - Dundee United

Cowdenbeath (h): 2-0

Kilmarnock (a): 5-1

Motherwell (a): 2-0

Hearts (n): 2-1

Route to the final - Celtic

Stirling (a): 3-0

Arbroath (a): 0-0

Arbroath - replay (h): 2-1

Ross County (a): 3-1

Falkirk (n): 2-0

And so the Scottish Cup final beckoned, another sunny day out at Hampden for our fans, but this time we were huge underdogs against an all-powerful Celtic side. To refresh your memory, the Bhoys won the treble last year, and they were eyeing their 37th Scottish Cup to go with their league championship this season. For some context, we were aiming for our third Scottish cup.

Prior to the game, my big decision was to be made over a choice of wingers. Do I stick with Mackay-Steven, who has been excellent this year, or give the ever improving Ryan Gauld the nod? In the end, I picked GMS, although Gauld will almost certainly feature at some stage of the game. With this being the fifth game in 14 days, the rest of the team rather picked itself as we had a few tired bodies around.

Tactically, I again decided to stick to my customary 4-2-3-1, but I asked the players to be a little more cautious, hoping to try to catch Celtic on the counter-attack.

The game started evenly, with Celtic creating the first chance after 15 minutes, but Cammy Bell denied Victor Anichibe from 15 yards. That was the only real talking point in a very tame first half, although I can't complain with how we defended. I told the lads they hadn't impressed me and asked for an improvement, while the under-performing Wotherspoon was replaced by Gauld at half time. It was Celtic who started the second half the brighter though, with Samaras missing a good chance with a header from 6 yards. We soon lost Petrie to injury, but the first goal didn't arrive until the 73rd minute, when Gary Hooper pounced on a loose ball from a free kick to sweep Celtic in front. I responded by urging the players forward, and we at last took the initiative to the champions. First Stuart Armstrong forced a save from Fraser Forster, but with 92 minutes played I thought the game was up. I was wrong - Armstrong played a 1-2 with McAlinden and then fired a peach of a cross into the path of Ryan Gauld, who slotted home in the 94th minute. It was to be the last act of normal time, we'd need an extra 30 minutes to decide the cup's destination.

After just three minutes of the extra period though we were down to 10 men. I'd had to make all three subs after Shinnie picked up a knock on the final whistle, and McAlinden pulled up meaning we had no more changes to make Inevitably, Celtic scored instantly through Hooper. We had to throw caution to the wind and urge the 10 men forward, but predictably Celtic capitalised on the extra space and Hooper slotted home his third. A hat-trick in his final appearance for the club, but for us this dream was over. It was Celtic's day, and boy did it hurt.

Final score: Dundee United 1-3 Celtic (aet)

DUFCcrest.png.2844b09ea98bbdb0859714fbd4770b10.png
Dundee United FC - Season summary

2013/14

League Scottish Premier League

Media prediction: 2nd (of 12)

Finished: 2nd

Cups

Scottish Cup: (Board expectation - semi final) Finalists

League Cup: Board expectation - semi final) Winners

Europe

Europa League group stage

Top scorers

Billy McKay: 34 appearances (21 starts): 19 goals (9 in the league)

Johnny Russell: 41 appearances (40 starts): 14 goals (11 in the league)

Stuart Armstrong: 51 appearances (43 starts): 12 goals (8 in the league)

Andrew Shinnie: 49 appearances (42 starts): 12 goals (9 in the league)

Gary Mackay-Steven: 41 appearances (38 starts): 10 goals (7 in the league)

Positives

Once again, lots to be positive about this season. Qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League for the second year in a row was great, as was winning our first trophy. We also improved considerably in front of goal, scoring 82 in total in the league, an improvement of 26 over the course of the league season. While the defeat in the Scottish Cup final hurt, I'm pleased we got there and we also picked up 8 more points in the league, which is a substantial improvement. With two very handy strikers arriving the summer, I've got every hope that we can continue to build next year.

Concerns & disappointments

Of course it was disappointing to lose the cup final and to still be 14 points behind Celtic, but I can't worry about that too much. It is a shame we don't have a little more money to allow me to invest in the squad, but I can't help but feel we're heading in the right direction, so I've very little to write about for this section this season. EDIT: Oh yeah, the youth intake was AWFUL this year. I can but hope it improves in future, especially as our youth set-up costs nearly £1.5m a season.

Ambitions

Once again we're a fair distance off a genuine title challenge, but my target is to improve again. Getting up to 80 points in the league and making at least one cup final is my target domestically, while I hope we can also be involved in the Europa League group stages for a third year in a row.

Surprise of the season

Our win in Stuttgart against a very decent German team, or playing so well against Galatasaray, who made it all the way to the semi final.

Player of the season

Manager's choice: Darren Petrie. The academy graduate started the season in our youth-team, but by the end of the campaign he was one of the first names on the team-sheet. An outstanding season, and a huge part of our success.

Fan's choice: TBC

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 4,418 v Stenhousemuir in the League Cup

Highest attendance: 14,223 (sell-out) v Maritimo in the Europa League

Average attendance: 9,781 - 68% of capacity (9,569 in the league - 4th largest in the division)

Finances

£2,513,562

Archived