The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

8 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

I'm sure this has already been asked and answered but I cant remember the answer! In a country that has 2 domestic cup competitions (eg England - FA Cup, League Cup) does only 1 count towards the domestic cups target or do both count?

Well, either count. You need cups from 10 different nations.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a while out of the club game, I finally got a job in Argentina with Racing Club. Not one of the top two teams that I was hoping for, but I was getting a bit bored of just international management and taking a "smaller" club to victory should be a good challenge. After taking over I then found out that they don't have a single centre back in their squad which isn't ideal.

image.thumb.png.c87935e21571b5928150150acaee3614.png

Challenge Update

I managed to win the German DFB-POKAL cup so that is another domestic cup ticked off my list.

I thought for some reason that I would get to be the Club World Cup at the end of the season but it was playing the following season so just holidaying another season with Bayern to get to the Club World Cup. I better bloody win it now lol.

image.thumb.png.e62eb807994c384d4e5b2664093c8f9c.png

Club Management History So Far

19-20 - Young Lions - End Of Season League Position - 4th 

20-21 - Young Lions - End Of Season League Postion - 1st 

21-22 - Yiteng - End Of Season Position - 8th

22-23 - Shanghai Shenhua - 10th

23-24 - Shanghai Shenhua - 2nd 

24-25 - Shanghai Shenhua - 1st

25-26 - Shanghai Shenhua - 3rd

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

27-28 - LA Galaxy - Won the MLS Cup

28-29 - LA Galaxy - Won The CONCACAF Champions League

29-30 - FC Porto - Won the League and Cup double

30-31 - Man Utd - 3rd Place, FA Cup and Europa League winner

31-32 - Man Utd - Premiership and Champions League Winner

33-34 - Athletico Madrid - Spanish La Liga and Copa Del Rey double winner

34-35 - Bayern Munich - German League Title Winner

35-36 - Bayern Munich - German Cup Winner

International Management History So Far

19-20 -  UAE - Qualified to the next group stage of World Cup Qualifying Rounds

20-21 - UAE - World Cup Qualification - 2nd Place In My Qualifying Group.

21-22 - UAE - Asian Cup Of Nations - Lost in Quarter Final.

28-29 - Wales - Qualified To Euros (Failed to get to 2nd round of the Euros)

29-30 - USA - Won The Gold Cup

29-30 Chile - Qualified for the World Cup

30-31 - Brazil - Started World Cup qualifying stages

31-32 - Brazil - Won Copa America

33-34 - Brazil - Won The World Cup

35 - 36 - England - Qualfied From League Of Nations

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga,

4/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL

3/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champions League,

0/1 club world championship

International

2/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America,

1/1 world tournaments - World Cup

This may be the quickest sacking in ultimate challenge history - 27 days after I took over at Racing Club they fired me because I applied for the Santos job. The reality of how hard it was going to be turning a team around without any centre backs dawned on me and with the Santos job coming available I thought why not. Hopefully I get it now because this doesn't look great on my CV!

image.thumb.png.64e27cf675749fc18a56c9b4011f5311.png

In other news, I won the West Asian Football Federation Championship with Saudi Arabia, a competition I didn't even know existed beforehand and contained such heavyweights as UAE, Palestine and Syria.

image.thumb.png.1f345a48a8815d7c4a48dbf1d295a7f0.pngimage.thumb.png.93262cde940fe7bc8618ac1f1301002e.png

Challenge Update

I finally won the bloody Club World Cup lol

image.thumb.png.f2b89eb3150d02969c0292b5f413b9c5.png

image.thumb.png.5e9daeb0bac1f0ce7a22092eb7e1a6c0.png

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

36-37 - Bayern Munich - Fifa Club World Cup Winner

35 - 36 - England - Qualfied to the Nations League Semis

36-37 - England - Won The UEFA Nations League

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga,

4/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL

3/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champions League,

1/1 club world championship - Club World Cup

International

5 hours ago, treva said:

@vikeologist I have just read all your comments about how Indonesia is the worst place to start this challenge and now I feel completely deflated 😂 oh well, it’s too late now!

I probably made those comments a long time ago. It might be a good place to start now. Are they letting you do any coaching qualifications?

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

I probably made those comments a long time ago. It might be a good place to start now. Are they letting you do any coaching qualifications?

I’ve managed to get the first two done before finances stopped me getting the National A. Let’s hope between that and playing in the AFC Cup I’ll be okay 🤞

Season 1 (again): Easy Mode

I decided to restart as I’d foolishly loaded more leagues than my laptop could handle – it took 6 hours to go through 4 months all of which were in the off-season and that seemed a little too slow to be workable in the long run. It also allowed me to make sure that the manager is the right age this time around.

Easy Mode

This time around I applied a lot more sparingly and not for any national teams and well, to say I landed on my feet would be an understatement. TPS (Turun Pallosuera) were the team as I went to the Finnish Second tier side who were favourites for their league but had an underwhelming start, I only originally applied as a long shot not viewing myself as having any chance so it was a no brainer to take when offered. I took over and strengthened an eleven that was already superior to the majority of the teams in the division and what happened next will surprise you. We dominated for the rest of the season as we chipped into the points lead the top two had over us, winning 11 games and drawing one of our games since I took charge, even still it wasn’t enough to get us top finishing 2nd place and into the playoffs.

The playoffs went much the same as our league form, a comfortable aggregate win though the second leg saw us without 3 first choice players through combination of suspension and injuries but alas we prevailed. I can’t really take many plaudits for our exploits this season our team simply better than others around us. Though I will take credit for my first signing in Pachu, 14 goals in 13 games a big reason behind our promotion winning form.

Pachu NB the screenshot only shows 11 goals as his hattrick in the playoffs isn’t showing for whatever reason.

15fa269471582d239b1ec4358f8200dc.tif

The Fixtures

89bd4b29c18d208289a86ae569ddd213.tif

Next Season

I don’t know the full quality difference between the second league and the top league in Finland but I’m confident that we’ll be able to easily avoid relegation although our finances are not in the best shape so that could be problematic. Especially as there are areas I want to focus on strengthening that might not be possible with financial constraints.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for any international jobs or different club jobs, I am enjoying my time so far at TPS but the lack of finance has meant I have yet to start a coaching course and I feel that is something that is important for progression in the future.

The story so far

925e01329b3b9038b49c83bc1601958a.tif

Overall Progress

7cf64dc8b425eb7bc0cc7cd01202eb84.tif

Nailed it. I got the Santos job which is a HUGE step up from Racing Club. We're only in the Copa Sudamericana this year so I'm probably here for 3 years I would guess, unless I can have a quick turnaround in year 1

image.thumb.png.f2a352a77627687f14ca9207814e4c3f.png

This isn't to do with the challenge but I didn't want to create a new thread and the search function brought me here, is there anything you need to do before you are able to get an international job? I have unsuccessful applied for a few already and just lost out on the England job to Sean Dyche who has hadn't had a top 10 finish (and had a relegation) in the last 5 seasons while I have took Newcastle to top 3 most reputable teams in the world winning 3 league titles and several cups including the champions league. My 'goal' was to develop kids through the Newcastle academy and try to win things with them at club and international level but do I need to go abroad for more experience for the job or simply be in management for longer?

6 hours ago, gdoyle1990 said:

This isn't to do with the challenge but I didn't want to create a new thread and the search function brought me here, is there anything you need to do before you are able to get an international job? I have unsuccessful applied for a few already and just lost out on the England job to Sean Dyche who has hadn't had a top 10 finish (and had a relegation) in the last 5 seasons while I have took Newcastle to top 3 most reputable teams in the world winning 3 league titles and several cups including the champions league. My 'goal' was to develop kids through the Newcastle academy and try to win things with them at club and international level but do I need to go abroad for more experience for the job or simply be in management for longer?

I don't think so. Clubs and nations are not all identical. If you applied for lots of international jobs you'd get one, but you're always going to fail what you'd regard as shoe-in jobs. I've written before about applying for jobs and agonising whether to take them, and then not being offered them.

It could be something like your media handling that's turning England off. 

One way to get a better understanding would be to look at the IGE, but if anybody got insight this way, I'd prefer them not to do it on this thread. 

4 hours ago, vikeologist said:

I don't think so. Clubs and nations are not all identical. If you applied for lots of international jobs you'd get one, but you're always going to fail what you'd regard as shoe-in jobs. I've written before about applying for jobs and agonising whether to take them, and then not being offered them.

It could be something like your media handling that's turning England off. 

One way to get a better understanding would be to look at the IGE, but if anybody got insight this way, I'd prefer them not to do it on this thread. 

Thanks for your reply.

Challenge Update

The good run continues as I managed to win the Coppa Italia and Seria A in my first and only season with Juventus.

image.thumb.png.7d3abc35b061ec6e180d1a36f561baaf.png

So I resigned from Juventus as I done what I needed to do there. My next destination is hopefully France as I need to win the Ligue 1 as part of the challenge.

I have been very lucky getting jobs with big teams, I got a feeling that aint going to happen and I might have to take a season with a lower rep French team and try win the French cup while I wait for the PSG, Lyon or Monaco job to come available.

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

37-38 - Juventus - Seria A and Coppa Italia Double Winner

37-38 - England - Won The World Cup

Challenge Progress

Club

8/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga, Seria A, 

5/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia,

International

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

Small Update

I have had the best luck in getting jobs with big teams. I never thought that the Man Utd, Bayern Munich, Athletico Madrid, Juventus jobs come available when I did this challenge. I never had it this easy in other attempts of this challenge but I have somehow managed to get another big job with PSG.

image.thumb.png.82234bf1604f0907f93bb20de3a15a1d.png

As you expect PSG have an awesome squad and were French League champions last season

image.thumb.png.bfa3b0c569b78d5dd48663cbbbf20c9b.png

Just completed second season and to be honest I don't really know what to say. Starting with the AFC Cup, we made it through the group stages without defeat but drew the Liga 1 champions. We dominated them over two legs but couldn't make it count and in the end they knocked us out with two second half goals. They also beat us in the Super Cup. Majority of the season went swimmingly, we smashed practically everyone, losing just once and a run of 10 straight victories set us up nicely in both the cup and league. Then it all went to ****. My best two players got injured just at the wrong time, we drew the last game of the season to lose out on 1st place. We were then dumped out of the cup at the QF by the team who leapfrogged us in the league table. We lost our first game in phase two before winning the second match. We could only draw the third match and with results going against us it meant no advancing to the semi finals and no promotion. Absolutely gut-wrenching. Never gone from such a high to such a low. Those injuries just completely changed the course of the season. I've resigned immediately and will be looking to find somewhere to lick my wounds and find some success.

Season   Team           Country     League           Pos       Notes and Achievements
19/20    Mitra Kukar    Indonesia   Liga 2, East     6th       Won Piala Indonesia, National C Licence
20/21    Mitra Kukar    Indonesia   Liga 2, Grp A    2nd       AFC Cup ASEAN Semi Final, knocked out in Liga 2 Phase 2, National B Licence

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues

1/10 domestic cups (Piala Indonesia)

0/5 club continental championships

International

0/5 continental tournaments

0/1 world tournaments

Edited by treva

Challenge Update

I managed to win another Domestic Double with PSG, winning the Ligue 1 and Coupe De France.

image.thumb.png.8f89f3bef1d2259a51341a77ed0dfcec.png

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

38-39 - PSG - Ligue 1 and Coupe De France Double Winner

38-39 - England - Currently Top of Euro's Qualifiction Group

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1,

5/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,

3/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champion League,

International

1 hour ago, Watson156 said:

Has anybody here managed in Colombia? I've just won the Closing stage of their League Season and not sure if it counts towards a domestic league or not?

Was there a final that you won? The format of the league changed last year, so I'm not sure what the format is in the game, and no, I can't remember many people managing in Colombia.

But if there's an opening stage and closing stage, and both appear in the competition records as winners, and you're one of them, you're golden.

17 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Was there a final that you won? The format of the league changed last year, so I'm not sure what the format is in the game, and no, I can't remember many people managing in Colombia.

But if there's an opening stage and closing stage, and both appear in the competition records as winners, and you're one of them, you're golden.

Perfect, and yes I won the Closing stage final. Thanks for this

Season 2: Buses, Late Drama and Going for Gold

Although only our second season we were competing for two competitions that count towards the end goal so lots of time was spent in the off season trying to sign players that would improve us. Most of them ended up being loans as every other player good enough wanted more money than we could afford. That said, our right back who was at the club when I joined was viewed by the media as the best player in the league.

Buses

The start of our season was the Finnish Cup (Suomen Cup) Premier League Qualifying where we blitzed through the other Veikkausliga teams including a 4-0 drubbing of the media favourites for the league KuPs. With that and 4 of our players featuring in the Media Dream Eleven I was dreaming of another season of steamrolling teams before a defeat on the opening day of the season brought us back to earth. We responded to the defeat going on a strong run in both league and cup managing to reach the Final. A few games before the final we had got a news article detailing that we had yet failed to score in a competitive fixture throughout my tenure so it was a tad frustrating that the first time we failed to score was in the cup final; a 1-0 defeat to FC Lahti. Just as the saying goes, wait ages for a bus and then two come at once, this was the case for us failing to score as the game directly after the final saw us lose to fierce rivals Inter Turku 1-0 also.

Late Drama

Following on from the two disappointing games we did get back to our free scoring ways and managing to go the rest of the season before the split with no further losses and leaving us with a 5 point cushion at the top of the league with just 5 games to go. The first game in the Championship group came against the team sat in 2nd (HJK) where a win leave us needing only 1 more win in the remaining four to win the league. Instead we got a red card after just two minutes, thankfully managing to keep the game at a draw and the gap the same at least. A similar story for the next game as an early sending off saw us draw another game the gap dropped to just 3 points, a scraped win meant that was the gap with two games remaining. And then, disaster a 72nd minute penalty saw us lose our penultimate game with HJK capitalising to draw level with a 1 worse goal difference.

We knew what was needed of us, equal or better HJKs result. Alas, we went a goal down after 30 minutes despite us absolutely bombarding our oppositions goal. Half time came and went and still no breakthrough, 70th minute, 80th minute, nothing. And boom, 87th minute, hero of last season Pachu equalised, with the other game at 0-0 that would be enough but 90+3 we made sure on loan Adam Lewis securing the win and the league title. I must admit I needed a little break after that match a real roller coaster.

Going for Gold

I got my first international job during the Summer opting for Haiti over Kosovo viewing Haiti’s chances of winning silverware, whilst still slim, a little better than Kosovo. Especially as the Gold Cup is every two years and on odd year groups so I can always try and get a team for the World Cup down the line. We played some games in World Cup qualifying and smashed teams but that was what was expected of us in our group.

8cf50e5dae11a608fe9c5c61e4859d63.tif

The Final Match

ee530b53652961c8d9edc0bb360a0fa3.tif

Next Season

I am going to resign from TPS, there seems little point in me staying on just to try and win the cup especially as the club has not one been in the black financially since I took over. In spite of the I did manage to get the board to agree to some coaching badges so currently working towards National B. I also expect to be on a rougher ride at my next stop.

With Haiti there’s a long-shot at qualifying for the World Cup but I’m focusing on the Gold Cup which Haiti reached the Semi-Final of in real life last year so there’s at least some hope of doing well there.

The story so far

a44628ee074ce26ab1594302027a66cb.tif

Overall Progress

3eff04019788e2d7fda16092bb1c2f9c.tif

Challenge Update

So my season with Ajax didn't go as well as I hoped as I always expect to win everything every season but I didn't this year.

For the first time in ages I failed to win the title with a top team. I did manage to win the Dutch Cup though so at least it wasn't a waste of a season.

image.thumb.png.f0aeb8a18101cd5a41cb4b6ddfb99afe.png

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

39-40 - Ajax - Dutch Cup Winner

39-40 - England - Qualified For The Euros

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1,

6/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,KNVB Beker, 

3/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champion League,

International

I have a question for those managing top teams, like @Ronaldo Beckham and @XuluBak. Do your youth previews accurately foretell  what you actually get?

I ask because in the youth challenge the previews ere absolute nonsense. Every year a golden generation, but there was no correlation between preview and reality.

But with Everton my 2 previews were spot on. The 1st year they warned that it would be rubbish, and it was. The 2nd year they said it would be a golden generation, and it was. 3rd year they've said it won't be anything special, so we'll see.

There shouldn't be any reason why this is true of established teams, and not true of teams one had built up. In my Palermo youth save we had everything in place regarding facilities, coaching , rep, but  the discontinuity between preview and reality was often remarked upon in that thread, and 2 seasons with Everton is too small a sample size.

What have been your observations during your ultimate career with big name clubs?

I have a question for those managing top teams, like @Ronaldo Beckham and @XuluBak. Do your youth previews accurately foretell  what you actually get?

I ask because in the youth challenge the previews ere absolute nonsense. Every year a golden generation, but there was no correlation between preview and reality.

But with Everton my 2 previews were spot on. The 1st year they warned that it would be rubbish, and it was. The 2nd year they said it would be a golden generation, and it was. 3rd year they've said it won't be anything special, so we'll see.

There shouldn't be any reason why this is true of established teams, and not true of teams one had built up. In my Palermo youth save we had everything in place regarding facilities, coaching , rep, but  the discontinuity between preview and reality was often remarked upon in that thread, and 2 seasons with Everton is too small a sample size.

What have been your observations during your ultimate career with big name clubs?

Just now, vikeologist said:

I will be honest with you mate, I never pay attention to my youth intake as I am usually only at a club for a season or 2. Sorry I aint much help.

Challenge Update

I managed to win the Euros with England, beating Germany in the final so that was even better then winning it lol.

image.thumb.png.9f9f310a09eb85c4a617e17953b09549.png

image.thumb.png.b1afa5dde6d7d94fe6c998b57c2d3c38.png

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

40-41 - England - Won The Euros

Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,KNVB Beker, 

International

3/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America,Euros

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I will be honest with you mate, I never pay attention to my youth intake as I am usually only at a club for a season or 2. Sorry I aint much help.

It was nice to have a dog of an intake my first year, and for it to not matter.

43 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

It was nice to have a dog of an intake my first year, and for it to not matter.

I was lucky to have gotten jobs with the big teams who had amazing squads so I didn't have to pay attention.

I hope your youth intakes get better for you @vikeologist

Small Update

I just took the Palmerias job. I might stay with them for a few years as I can't see me winning the league or anything like that in the first season.

They are currently 6th in the league when I took over.

image.thumb.png.23d6c4cb5f3b355c884301cfcb701343.png

My starting squad aint too bad either.

image.thumb.png.989b855206c60d240f38836f68ed1ec0.png

@vikeologist so I took over the Palmeiras job as you know and after I posted in here I checked my fixtures and noticed I am in the Copa do Brazi final lol. It's a 2 legged affair and Palmeiraas lost the first leg 2-1 but I got the away goal and you never know I might win a Cup in my first month in charge.

I love it when things like this happen lol.

image.thumb.png.8512019354e47a43933e0af1c6394d8c.png

2 hours ago, vikeologist said:

I admittedly don't remember my intakes from Benfica or my first with Liverpool, but my most recent one seems reasonably accurate. 

Generally, I've noticed the intake preview is sometimes a little contradictory though. 

Challenge Update

I only gone and won the Copa do Brazil in my first month in charge of Palmeiras lol. I couldn't of timed that any better if I tried lol.

image.thumb.png.a4faff9ebdb3b8b79d7827728fc6fd0e.png

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,KNVB Beker, Copa do Brazil,

International

3/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America,Euros

44 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Challenge Update

I only gone and won the Copa do Brazil in my first month in charge of Palmeiras lol. I couldn't of timed that any better if I tried lol.

C

This is what I call doing a Vike. I'm not sure if I coined the phrase myself. Obviously that would be a little self-aggrandising. Anyway, I took over a Brazilian club the actual day of the second leg of (I believe) the Mexican league final. Actually I didn't win that final, (lost in extra time) but I have won several competitions taking over late in the run. Always worth checking out the future fixtures of a club you take over.

Mind you, it took me another 22 seasons to win that Mexican title. Obviously I wasn't managing in Mexico all 22 seasons. Did some other stuff instead.

3 hours ago, vikeologist said:

This is what I call doing a Vike. I'm not sure if I coined the phrase myself. Obviously that would be a little self-aggrandising. Anyway, I took over a Brazilian club the actual day of the second leg of (I believe) the Mexican league final. Actually I didn't win that final, (lost in extra time) but I have won several competitions taking over late in the run. Always worth checking out the future fixtures of a club you take over.

Mind you, it took me another 22 seasons to win that Mexican title. Obviously I wasn't managing in Mexico all 22 seasons. Did some other stuff instead.

I wont call it a Vike it just sounds weird lol. It was just a happy fluke lol.

Season 2.5: Unbalanced and Jean-Claude Ardouin

Following resignation from TPS I think I over estimated my stock and thought I’d get at an ok level fairly easily, that was not the case. I lost count of the number of times the dreaded words came in my inbox ‘Job Application Unsuccessful’. But finally we ended up with a choice of three clubs, 2 Vanarama North teams in Telford and Gloucester and Serie C side Virtus Verona and the latter is where I landed.

Unbalanced

The board wanted us to achieve a playoff spot for the season, which considering 9 teams in the league get a playoff spot seemed doable however, a first look at the squad I was immediately drawn to the lack of balance that the squad had as well as the lack of depth in some areas and just quality in general in others. With the transfer window closed this lead to me creating an unorthodox formation for us to utilise. It actually worked pretty well to start with but following two key injuries our form took a nosedive and never really recovered leaving us to drop from playoff contention. This may cause issues with the board as that was the minimum requirement but in fairness to me I thought we’d at least have some semblance of squad balance when taking over so who’s fault is it really?

Jean-Claude Ardouin

I’ve committed myself to this format now but didn’t know what subheading to give the national team segment this time round so newgen Ardouin takes it. Since last update we won our world cup qualifying group to send us to the Quarter finals where we faced Panama over two legs. We drew the first 2-2 before managing to win 3-1 away to send us to the next round, Ardouin scored two of our 5 goals and assisted 2 of the other 3, a Haitian legend in the making.

The Unorthodox Formation

a2026eadcb96068eea0b871a612814bb.tif

The form

704f0e3e53b91558237cdfbc63dafb52.tif

Next Season

The best player at the club is out of contract and wanting to leave as well as his midfield partner retiring (the latter I’m fine with as he is on 14.5% of our entire wage spend). The squad needs a huge overhaul with an issue that club finances are insecure so wheeling and dealing required, some already started. I've a feeling I may go back towards a diamond that I had success at with TPS though I guess it would depend on the players that I can convince to join. 

On the Haiti side of things, we’re going to try and forge on through the World Cup Qualifying but that remains a relative longshot, we also are on the dawn of the Gold Cup which we can hopefully put in a good display showing and get some draw luck to propel us towards the final.

The story so far

aa39f105c045142f4b92ae2e6acd3a6d.tif

Overall Progress

167f08d5ca0ec393dd342b107493a89a.tif

My third season felt a lot like my second: had great promise but faded into nothing.

5622747.png

After a brief time unemployed I ended up getting my promotion to Liga 1 with PSS - a team who had finished 12th the season before but that had good finances albeit a fairly poor reputation. I changed the backroom staff a bit and in particular got in a good scouting team that enabled me to use my £110k transfer budget to bring in strong players up front, in midfield and in defence. We also managed to get a very talented young goalkeeper on loan for the whole season on transfer deadline day.

First part of the season was incredible. After a win on the first day we lost our next two. Then came a run of six wins and a draw to take us to third in the standings and in with a legitimate chance of the title. A couple of defeats to good teams dented our spirit but we bounced back with three straight wins. At this point having been touted for mid-table my board gave me an A+ confidence rating and finally allowed me to take my National A Licence. Unfortunately this would prove to be the pinnacle of the season. We couldn't sustain our early pace and spiralled out of control. In our next 16 matches we won just three and dropped out of the top half and back into mid table obscurity but we did win our final game of the season to finish 9th. A really disappointing end to what had been such a promising start where we genuinely looked like title contenders for a brief moment. What added to the frustration was the manor of our fall from grace. We went through a period where every game we hit the woodwork 3/4 times and the goals we conceded were always worldies. Later in the season we gave away a load of penalties early in matches. Enormously frustrating all round.

We got nowhere in the cup either after being unlucky to draw one of the country's best sides in the second round. Oh and we had a takeover at some point. Time to look around the international scene and rebuild for a second bite at a title challenge with PSS.

Season   Team           Country     League           Pos       Notes and Achievements
19/20    Mitra Kukar    Indonesia   Liga 2, East     6th       Won Piala Indonesia, National C Licence
20/21    Mitra Kukar    Indonesia   Liga 2, Grp A    2nd       AFC Cup ASEAN Semi Final, knocked out in Liga 2 Phase 2, National B Licence
21/22    PSS            Indonesia   Liga 1           9th       National A License

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10 top domestic leagues

1/10 domestic cups (Piala Indonesia)

0/5 club continental championships

International

0/5 continental tournaments

0/1 world tournaments

Edited by treva

Challenge Update

I managed to do something I wasn't expecting and win the Brazil league in my first season. I barely lost after I took over and just clinched the title in the last game of the season.

image.thumb.png.1bf3cc9477fd0925d2d4763326c261ca.png

Look how close it was.

image.thumb.png.c4badd7619d3fa0d3605e6a485dc2e55.png

Anyway I am not leaving Palmeiras until I win the Commebol Libertadores so I might be at this club for a long longer then I have with most clubs recently.

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

39-40 - Palmeiras - Brazil Seria A and Copa do Brazil Double Winner

Challenge Progress

Club

10/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1, Brazil Seria A

7/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,KNVB Beker, Copa do Brazil,

International

3/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America, European Championship, 

1907.png.43362d3f349ff495fc3be5229d880229.png379.png.701e7558938d918b8fc1fd7314c6c623.png

Samuel Poston

LA Galaxy/Mexico

May 2029 – Dec 2031

LA Galaxy:

Major League Soccer – 12th [7th]

Fixtures    Supporters Shield [Western Conference]

MLS Cup – Western Conference Semi Finals

US Open Cup – Fourth Round

Tree

Major League Soccer – 1st [1st]

Fixtures 1    Fixtures 2    Supporters Shield [Western Conference]

MLS Cup – Champions

US Open Cup – Fifth Round

Tree

MLS All Stars vs Bournemouth - Win

Major League Soccer – 1st [1st]

Fixtures 1    Fixtures 2    Supporters Shield [Western Conference]

MLS Cup – Champions

US Open Cup – Fifth Round

Tree

CONCACAF Champions League

Fixtures    Tree

Campeones Cup

Match

MLS All Stars vs Deportivo Toluca - Win

Mexico:

Fixtures

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers – Qualified

Third Round

Fixtures

FIFA World Cup – Second Round

Group Stage    Tree

Fixtures

CONCACAF Gold Cup – Champions

Group Stage    Tree

North American Nations League – Group Stage* (in SF 2032)

Division 1

Recap:

Apologies for long updates. Online lectures are getting in the way of Football Manager. However, I have managed to complete the North American Leg of this save. LA Galaxy and Mexico seemed quite a good way to complete it. LA Galaxy with the riches, Mexico with an excellent team. I relied heavily on loans with LA Galaxy in my two-championship winning season. Big teams letting youth players on low wage contracts on loan was a great recipe for success, I needed to trade in some future 1st round SuperDraft picks for international slots which helped. 

The 2031 Champions League final was probably the best game I have ever played. Needing to win by 2 goals to go into extra-time, we were up 2-0 and then it was 3-2 in the 90th minute. Duran scored a 90+7th minute goal to take us to extra time. After 1st Half in extra time it was still level on aggregate. Then all of a sudden we scored 5 goals in the final 15 mins of the game.

image.thumb.png.8491c9b5621dffab44bf8e707b264612.png

Happy to get this passed and now move onto Europe. I haven’t got a new club yet. Let’s hope some big team gets a vacancy in early 2032.

Challenge Progress (17/32):

191325533_2028ClubProgress.thumb.png.8e1768f32a30fcbe8d37376b1a90c053.png

24852404_2028InternationalProgress.thumb.png.3d73c70ed049b6baa5e17ca7581a24bc.png

264765422_2028ChallengeProgress.thumb.png.50b47c958908ab0adc5193abaa10f989.png

Edited by samjohpos
Updating Image Links

360px-Liverpool_FC.svg.png

Liverpool FC

2031-32 End-of-Season Review

(First update in almost three months, stayed at Liverpool with no challenge objectives on the line, so gonna try to keep this short)

League: After a summer of consolidation, and an unexpected last second sale of Brophy (England's #1, our regularly used backup), we hit the ground running. City and United did not. They were out of it early. Arsenal looked like a potential surprise contender until they collapsed in December-January. It wouldn't have mattered. 34-4-0. 106 points. Invincible. 

Portal and Jaime took it to another level as they grew into their RMD/F9 roles, with Portal collecting his third straight Ballon d'Or and locking up the Golden Boot, in style, with four against Brighton on matchday 38. Randall and TAA kept providing the service. We weren't quite as good defensively, but still best in the league. The biggest difference between '30-31 and '31-32 was almost certainly Reinier. He went from being a hardly used, largely ineffective fringe player, that tallied no goals or assists, to being a beast that forced me into playing 4231 over 433 to get him on the pitch more. He ended up with 25 & 10. 

Overall Stats: 2030-31 vs 2031-32

League Cup: After almost blowing it against (eventual Championship winners) Bournemouth in the 3rd round, we coasted, only conceding an irrelevant consolation goal the rest of the way. Beating Spurs 3-0 at Wembley. 

FA Cup: A favorable draw resulted in similar dominance, 15-0 into the semis against City. Unfortunately, not the best timing for this matchup, and a weakened squad lost (technically not a loss!) on penalties. 

Champions League: Dominated our group 20-2. Real Sociedad didn't fare much better in the knockout round. Bayern had a me a bit worried, following a 3-minute double early in the first leg, but Portal and Jaime brought us back (2-2), then put it away (2-0). Unfortunately, we lost Randall for about a month in the second leg. PSG were wasteful in the first leg (1-2) at home and Portal put them away in the second. Was really hoping to face Benfica in the final, but alas, it wasn't to be, as Barca knocked them out in the other semi, producing a fairly underwhelming final. Randall put us up 1-0 on his return and Reinier made it two with a towering header. They'd pull one back, with about 30 minutes to go, but we dominated the ball, and they didn't manage many real chances (only 3 shots on target). 

Looking ahead: This season was a bit boring, but I want to see it out with Portal, so probably staying at Liverpool unless I get an offer somewhere I could take him (and would actually want to go), so my challenge focus may be more international for a while. With Euros and Copa America this summer, hoping for some promising opportunities. 

Edited by XuluBak

Challenge Update

I had one priority this season and that was to hopefully win the Copa Libertadores trophy but I was very lucky.

I smashed it in my group, 100% win record.

I then smashed Emlec 5-0 aggregate over the 2 legs.

I then beat Athletico Paranaense 5-1 aggregate over the 2 legs in the Quarter Finals.

Now comes the lucky part. I had to play Flamengo over 2 legs in the semi.

The first Semi I had so many injuries and had to play midfielders in defense. I somehow drew 2-2 by the skin of my teeth.

I then drew 0-0 in the other semi and won on Away goals luckily.

I had to play River Plate in the Copa Libertadores final and it ended 0-0. Ended 0-0 in the Extra Time so it was down to penalties.

This is what happened

image.thumb.png.49aa9409ee8ef6c789dbf13048c4802b.png

A 6-5 victory in a penalty shootout.

I managed to tick another achievement.

I am now also the South Africa national team manager with the aim of winning the African Cup Of Nations but I only took over after they got knocked out the 2nd round of the competition so will take a few years before the next African Cup Of Nations.

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

40-41 - Palmeiras - Copa Libertadores Winner

Challenge Progress

Club

10/10 top domestic leagues Singapore Premier,Chinese Super League,MLS Cup, Portugal Ligue NOS, English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1, Brazil Seria A

4/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champion League, Copa Libertadores, 

International

3/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America, European Championship, 

Small Update

I nearly got the Hearts job who were in the Scottish Cup Semis as I still need to get a few domestic cups but they hired someone else which baffled me after the clubs I have managed and the success I have had lol.

Anyway I did get a job in a new country which is Belgium and the team I am now managing are Anderlecht.

image.thumb.png.362fdd837c44f878e0e9d360914022ec.png

They were already knocked out of the Belgium cup so I am just holidaying till the first round of the Belgium cup.

Hopefully a nice, easy season with them to get another Domestic cup.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel that is this challenge lol.

Challenge Update

I managed to win the African Cup Of Nations with South Africa.

I was lucky as I had to rely on penalties to beat Morocco.

image.thumb.png.cbb53c40865116edee0a73d09b2c6e9a.png

I also won the Croky Cup with Anderlecht so that is another achievement done. Hopefully I will have finished the challenge soon enough as I aint got many things I need to win now.

image.thumb.png.7db1da69abd35d3ce16ab73eefa472df.png

26-27 - LA Galaxy - 13th

40-41 - Palmeiras - Copa Libertadores Winner

41-42 - Anderlecht - Finished 2nd

42-43 - Anderlecht - Corky Cup Winner

41-42 - South Africa - Qualified For African Cup Of Nations

42-43 - South Africa - African Cup Of Nations Winner

Challenge Progress

Club

8/10 domestic cups - Taca De Portugal, English FA Cup,Copa Del Rey, German DFB-POKAL, Coppa Italia, Coupe De France,KNVB Beker, Copa do Brazil,Croky Cup,

4/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League,CONCACAF Champions League, European Champion League, Copa Libertadores, 

International

4/5 continental tournaments - Gold Cup, Copa America, European Championship, African Cup Of Nations,