So there is no role for a ML/MR that allows them to cut inside? (why we need blank roles)

Koki

Generally, I'm a fan of the new tactics system with its roles. But at times it's too restrictive. For example, there is no role for ML/MR players that allows me to tell them to cut inside? That forces me to use AML/AMR players which unbalances my formation. That's why I'm of the opinion that there should be "blank" roles for each position where we can give players any instruction we want them to. We, as managers want to be innovate, we shouldn't have to wait for new roles to be recognized by SI and introduced into the game before we are able to use them. What are your thoughts?

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! Still, the point I'm trying to get across is more general. Last year before the inverted wingbacks were introduced, there was no option to let wingbacks cut inside. See what I mean? Also, what if I wanted to have additional instructions to "cut inside" that don't go with a wide midfielder. E.g. Hold up ball oder move into channels?

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! Still, the point I'm trying to get across is more general. Last year before the inverted wingbacks were introduced, there was no option to let wingbacks cut inside. See what I mean? Also, what if I wanted to have additional instructions to "cut inside" that don't go with a wide midfielder. E.g. Hold up ball oder move into channels?

Wide playmaker will move into channels.

Hold up the ball is not really an instruction for a wide attacking player.

But wide playmakers can not have "cut inside" :-/

Furthermore, Bayern used to hold up their play on one wing last year to suddenly switch the play to the other side and hurt the opposition. Even if there were no examples from real life. We as wannabe football managers want to shape football in a way that may not be imaginable today. Don't get me wrong, I like the roles system but we shouldn't be restricted in our creativity by roles that the developers think are common.

Generally, I'm a fan of the new tactics system with its roles. But at times it's too restrictive. For example, there is no role for ML/MR players that allows me to tell them to cut inside? That forces me to use AML/AMR players which unbalances my formation. That's why I'm of the opinion that there should be "blank" roles for each position where we can give players any instruction we want them to. We, as managers want to be innovate, we shouldn't have to wait for new roles to be recognized by SI and introduced into the game before we are able to use them. What are your thoughts?

At the moment the TC is a level playing field with the AI teams having access to exactly the same choices we have.

If you start using blank roles it takes that level playing field away and increases the chances that ME exploits would be found & used.

Why not? Waiting for a supporting full back to surge forward? Switching ball to the other flank? Waiting for teammates to get into position? It's quite common actually.

Why not? Waiting for a supporting full back to surge forward? Switching ball to the other flank? Waiting for teammates to get into position? It's quite common actually.

Then you'd want to use a Wide Midfielder on Support.

I believe the game actually gives you something similar to those "blank" roles in the wide-midfielder, central mid, DM, AM. You can use those pretty much however you want. Wide-mid, dribble more, cut inside and you're close to what the op wanted no?

But wide playmakers can not have "cut inside" :-/

Furthermore, Bayern used to hold up their play on one wing last year to suddenly switch the play to the other side and hurt the opposition. Even if there were no examples from real life. We as wannabe football managers want to shape football in a way that may not be imaginable today. Don't get me wrong, I like the roles system but we shouldn't be restricted in our creativity by roles that the developers think are common.

Wide playmakers have move into channels and cuts inside as default you dont need to turn them on.

It is. Hover your cursor on the instructions and it'll tell you whether it's unavailable or active by default.
Thanks again, HUNT3R!

And I have a new challenge: I want my goalkeeper to wander outside the box as I play a very high D-line. However, I want him to distribute the balls short if he has the ball so we can retain possession. SK(A) is hoofing a lot of balls long although I have "distribute" to defender and "play shorter passes". It's not a case where my defenders are marked by the opposition.

What kind mentality do you have for your team? I mostly use Counter and Fluid, and do not have a lot of problems with this. Though, I have additional TI's like "Play out of Defence".

Also, I always put my GK to "Distribute to Backs" (or how it's worded).

Whenever my GK has the ball, the 4 in the back all drop low to receive the ball, and my GK is happy to give it to one of my backs. Only occassionally will he punt it out there unchallenged.

Archived