The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

yeah he's had him scouted, but why not make a move for him? Transfer fee would have been around £7-9m before the World Cup, now his fee is going to be easily £15m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where'd you get that number from pj? 7-9m??? jesus wept you've been reading the red tops haven't you?

MSI paid 10m for him just a couple of seasons ago, they were never going to sell him for less than nearly double that world cup or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed tbh. The deals that bought him and Tevez to Brazil are not exactly as solid in terms of fee paid by the club as us signing Smith, and the fee they paid was closer to £8m ($15m) anyway.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Do you watch football?

We are talking about defensive midfielders and Carrick is about as much of a defensive midfielder as Gerrard is.

Carrick is a Deep lying playmaker, much like the kind of player Seba used to be in midfield. He's not a defensive midfielder.

Hargreaves and Carrick would actually compliment each other very well in a side with Rooney up front. Which is why i'd take them both.

Neither are really better than the other as they're different players who bring different things to the table. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you always a pretentious git that doesn't read?

i didn't mention defensive midfielder. not once have i said anything about a defensive midfielder. i just said hargreaves isn't good enough for us, the opined that carrick is a better player in contradiction to a statement from ajw10.

we really should get that thread title changed. shut it carter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

it wouldnt be the first time utd pay over the odds for an english player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that's a dig at rooney i am going to reach down the internet and smack you. hard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

we really should get that thread title changed. shut it carter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, because you really talk a lot more sense about football than me don't you icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

it wouldnt be the first time utd pay over the odds for an english player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that's a dig at rooney i am going to reach down the internet and smack you. hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif goon why did you say that? You know the name Jeffers will come up eventually.

if that's a dig at rooney i am going to reach down the internet and smack you. hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rio actually.

He could be on about Rio,

Or Smith, or Andy Cole......?

I dont know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

icon_biggrin.gif goon why did you say that? You know the name Jeffers will come up eventually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SILENCE aj!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

icon_biggrin.gif goon why did you say that? You know the name Jeffers will come up eventually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SILENCE aj! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna mention him, but i thought id avoid the confrontation

SILENCE aj! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

goon trying to act tough icon_biggrin.gif

rio actually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

errr... no. plenty of others you could have named, but not rio. 30m for one of the worlds best centre backs with years ahead of him, not a bad piece of business at all.

errr... no. plenty of others you could have named, but not rio. 30m for one of the worlds best centre backs with years ahead of him, not a bad piece of business at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh at the time it was great business, but it is made to look worse due to the way the transfer fee's/Leed's collapsed shortly afterwards.

errr... no. plenty of others you could have named, but not rio. 30m for one of the worlds best centre backs with years ahead of him, not a bad piece of business at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif yeah you got a real bargain there.. poor old leeds getting ripped off. You got smith for a real cut price to, considering leeds were almost bankrupt and relegated /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

we really should get that thread title changed. shut it carter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, because you really talk a lot more sense about football than me don't you icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a safe assumption, you're welsh ffs.

Rio's quality but £30m is way too much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, because defensively we didn't fall apart without him when he was banned /o\

rio ifffffffffffb.

juve paid nearly as much for one of the worlds best keepers, i don't see that being much different. rio was worth every penny (even if we could have got him much cheaper a year later).

and im firmly on the 'not good enough' hargreaves band wagon. if this has been brought up a few weeks back it would have been a page of laughter followed by the odd 'well he cant be THAT sh*t guys, he plays for bayern!'.

a decent game (not half as impressive as some would have you believe) and he's suddenly to the top of our must have list. get to ****.

Tbf, given that the transfer market was collapsing, and that Leeds were financially screwed at the time, we paid at least £5m over the odds for Rio. Nesta and Cannavaro moved for about £33m combined, that same summer.

I wouldn't mind Hargreaves. That England performance is irrelevant for me (seen enough of him beforehand), all it did was show some people who so vehemently despise him hes quite a good player.

Not top shelf certainly, but very good at what he does. He and Carrick together would be quite good although Mascherano & anyone would be better

tbf Bling, the people all saying he'd be a good signing, Me, pete, Nick and Keyser have all sung his praises throughout the season as a viable alternative if we couldnt get our main targets, its hardly come from nowhere, it's just that we're being a bit more vocal right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

and im firmly on the 'not good enough' hargreaves band wagon. if this has been brought up a few weeks back it would have been a page of laughter followed by the odd 'well he cant be THAT sh*t guys, he plays for bayern!'.

a decent game (not half as impressive as some would have you believe) and he's suddenly to the top of our must have list. get to ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he is great for Bayern, but then they have a manager who knows where to play him. we do not.

i see hargreaves as a viable alternative to getting no one in and being stuck with the shower we had last year, but id like to think it would be a desperate 'we cant bring anyone else in, theyve realised were on the slide' move rather than a 'lets not look at mascherano alex, lets take a peek at that canadian lad that plays for england'.

my biggest fear was one i mentioned in the last thread about him. i genuinely believe he would often be used in every other position bar his natural one with fergie 'experimenting'. hargreaves has the unfortunate tag of being a jack of all trades.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

a decent game (not half as impressive as some would have you believe) and he's suddenly to the top of our must have list. get to ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he is great for Bayern, but then they have a manager who knows where to play him. we do not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

having a dig a Fergie icon_eek.gif or even more shocking if a utd fan means england when he says "we" icon_eek.gif

having a dig a Fergie icon_eek.gif or even more shocking if a utd fan means england when he says "we" icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously didn't read the last thread much did you.

As for Owen, I personally haven't seen enough of the guy to say he's a good option.

I think someone who has been a fixture in the Bayern squad for so long really can't be all that bad, and if we are still going to sign Carrick we will need someone of Owen's mould next to him in the centre, but all the same I don't think he would be worth getting at all for anything over 8 million.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Right lads, I've just acquired some interesting information about which teams are listed as our rivals in the upcoming FM2007. Thought you might find this interesting:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Liverpool 21

Man City 19

Leeds 18

Arsenal 17

Chelsea 15

Blackburn 14

Newcastle 13

Bolton 12

West Ham 11

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only just stopped laughing at everyone below the top three, and I was told this ten minutes ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought it only went up to 20. They are well wrong on the ammount but at least there in the right order. The bottom 5 are irrelevant though.

i cant begin to express how much i want cambiasso at united. for me he's THE target, above even mascherano. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cambiasso's pretty handy but if we do one thing this summer, we have to sign Mascherano. I'd happily see us ***** our whole transfer budget to get him. Hell, I'd sell my body if the extra £20 would make the difference between getting him and not.

somebody rates the liverpool/Man Utd rivalry on the same level as boca/river and celtic/rangers?

icon_biggrin.gif

That man really is sad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, there's not massive amounts in it tbf.

somebody rates the liverpool/Man Utd rivalry on the same level as boca/river and celtic/rangers?

icon_biggrin.gif

yes, because you really talk a lot more sense about football than me don't you icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a safe assumption, you're welsh ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Shut it Carter.

Mascherano was absolutely fantastic in that Argie game, sign him for christ's sake.

On Argentina aswell, what have people thought of Gaby's performances? I know some think he'd go well at centre-half and he's been playing as one in a back four during the World Cup.

Mascherano was absolutely fantastic in that Argie game, sign him for christ's sake.

On Argentina aswell, what have people thought of Gaby's performances? I know some think he'd go well at centre-half and he's been playing as one in a back four during the World Cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

On Argentina aswell, what have people thought of Gaby's performances? I know some think he'd go well at centre-half and he's been playing as one in a back four during the World Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaby did well in the group games, but made a few mistakes yesterday.

Id be happy to put him in CB with Rio and have Evra at left back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

i cant begin to express how much i want cambiasso at united. for me he's THE target, above even mascherano. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cambiasso's pretty handy but if we do one thing this summer, we have to sign Mascherano. I'd happily see us ***** our whole transfer budget to get him. Hell, I'd sell my body if the extra £20 would make the difference between getting him and not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs (thats right I abbreviated), minus the body selling thing...

Heinze has always played centre back for Argies, 'coz they used to play a back 3, of which he was one of them. Think their back 4 is a more recent thing?

Mascherano pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

On Argentina aswell, what have people thought of Gaby's performances? I know some think he'd go well at centre-half and he's been playing as one in a back four during the World Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaby did well in the group games, but made a few mistakes yesterday.

Id be happy to put him in CB with Rio and have Evra at left back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree:

1st game - played well, but probably running on adrenaline(sp?)

2nd game - not tested really was he?

3rd game - didn't play

4th game - looked like a guy who wasn't up to match speed despite a full recovery period.

Even in the first two games, depite how Heinze played its got to be said that Ayala (despite his age) has played really well so far for the Argies so any deficiencies that Gabby might have had were masked before last night, the only real test they've had so far. Against the Dutch I've got to say that I was impressed by Gabby Milito as well.

For me its still Rio > Wes > Viddy > Gabby > Silvestre at CB with Pique an unknown quantity still, whilst at LB its still Gabby > Silvestre > Evra.

Also what foobs said is correct about them using a back three, to which Gabby is probably more suited given his proficiency in both positions, otherwise LB is his best position from what I've seen of him in the centre.

And I've decided to compromise, rather than sell my body ala nick, I will happily donate money to the club, but only into a specifically set up "Sign Javier Mascherano Now Fund".

Yes I know he's played centre-half in a back 3, but now they're playing a back 4 which is more relevant since that is what we play.

He hasn't excelled from what I've seen - Ayala has been covering him a bit, but after 10 months off it is not easy to say if that's rustiness or just average play. Ayala is a player I really like, I was so pleased when we were heavily linked with him a few years ago, in fact I'd still be happy to sign him now.

As far as rating Gaby at centre-back goes, Jimlad's ">" list is the same as mine.

icon_biggrin.gif

Erm, there's not massive amounts in it tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with that, but i'd not say that it was an utterly fierce rivalry to the levels like it is with those two specifically. It can be pretty intense at times, but it really doesnt reach the levels of those clubs. Which is my whole point.

Archived