Play With His Back to the Goal

It's incredibly useful for link-up play and bringing others into the game. I would try to get it on most strikers who play lone roles. Trequartistas and DLFs also have their uses in a 2-man system up top with this sort of PPM.

I don't have a great deal of experience with the PPM but I understand how good it could be in theory.

I taught it to Lukaku, and it worked well, but I was wondering. What are you finding so interesting in this PPM? I assume it only works for towering strikers and talk guys?

Anyone who receives the ball to his feet in a lone striker Role (typically Support Duty) benefits from this PPM. It has nothing at all to do with physicality in my opinion.

A player who comes deep will look to get as involved in play as possible, trying to play through others and run at defences. A player with his back to goal will stay higher up the pitch and "bounce" passes off to other players - spraying passes but typically sidewards and backwards in order to bring others in play.

An example of this - Olivier Giroud stays high and plays with his back to goal, "bouncing" passes between teammates. A player who "comes deep" would be Rooney, who moves away from the defenders to interact with play in a deeper position.

I've used this, but only on players who I don't really want/need scoring goals. I've found that with this PPM, they don't turn around and get into the play as a shooter very often. Maybe my experiences are different from others, though. Do you guys find it inhibits players tendencies to shoot?

I've used this, but only on players who I don't really want/need scoring goals. I've found that with this PPM, they don't turn around and get into the play as a shooter very often. Maybe my experiences are different from others, though. Do you guys find it inhibits players tendencies to shoot?

I have found that it inhibits a player to make forward runs behind the defence so this player is less likely to be at the end of the moves.

I don't have this experience. Gillardino has "Plays With His Back To Goal" and he made plenty of forward runs and was regularly shooting at goal. He scored 18 and 16 goals in the 2 seasons before he lost his place as first choice because age was catching up with him.

I have found that it inhibits a player to make forward runs behind the defence so this player is less likely to be at the end of the moves.

This preferred move fits very well in a possession based system that aims to take the play to the opponents side of the pitch, and expect your centre forward to actively participate in the passing game. In such a system there's won't be much space behind the defence, but as your most forward man he will be playing near the oppositions goalalready, and as such still be the end point of attacking moves on a regular basis.

Archived