[FM14] The U's and Me

kris0710

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQogY7oLwcLb5gkt3ucS8bqSczj7kn5HdAb_rJ8Mypp_AlI6cizLA

Cambridge United Football Club

Sky Bet League Two 2020/21

End of Season

Sky Bet League Two

Runners Up! Quite unbelievable season where we spent 35 of the last 36 games inside the top three. Back to back promotions achieved. Just 8 league defeats meaning we have been beaten just 15 times in 92 league games.

FA Cup

First round exit away to Southend

Capital One Cup

First round exit also to Championship side Bournemouth

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Southern Quarter Final defeat to Portsmouth 7-6 on penalties.

Finances

A huge £740 sat in the bank and the wage budget looks to be increasing from £24k to £32k.

Squad.

Big changes coming this summer with both Roberts and Dafydd looking likely to leave. The four loanees will go back to their clubs, King, Grandison, Bennett and Rose. Five more first team squad members are out of contract and will leave. Defender Bonner will be released for the second time, Tom Bender wants first team football and i'm happy to let him go. Youngster Ian Connett needs to play to progress so there isn't room for him in my League One squad. Experienced defensive midfielder Lloyd James has served him purpose when he was signed two years ago and the 33 year old leaves in search of more regular football having lost his place back in December. Finally out the door is left winger Piero Mingoia. Been with us for four years now and played a huge part in our success but constant little injuries restricted him to 23 games last year and I believe his £1,100 pw can be better spent. Finally Kurtis March is off too. Sent out on loan in September he hasn't returned all season and I feel he is better off moving on. In his five years here he has gradually played less and less.

Seasons Honours:

Premier League : Champions: Manchester City Champions League: Liverpool, Tottenham and Man Utd* Relegated: Blackpool, Watford and West Brom

Championship: Champions: Brighton Promoted: Wigan and Newcastle Relegated: Crewe, Sunderland and Burnley

League One: Champions: Chesterfield Promoted: MK Dons and Plymouth Relegated: Carlisle, Sheff Wed, Preston and Wrexham

League Two: Champions: Portsmouth Promoted: Cambridge, Mansfield and Northampton Relegated: Rotherham and Bury

Skrill Premier: Champions: Cheltenham Promoted: Luton Relegated: Southport, Boreham Wood, AFC Telford and Havant & W

Skrill North: Champions: Boston Utd Promoted: Tamworth Relegated: Nantwich, Gainsborough and Workington

Skrill South: Champions: Woking Promoted: Ebbsfleet Relegated: Tonbridge, Basingstoke and Margate

FA Cup: Winners: Southampton Runners Up: Tottenham

League Cup: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Southampton

Community Shield: Winners: Arsenal Runners Up: Man City

JPT: Winners: Chesterfield Runners Up: Shrewsbury

FA Trophy: Winners: Lincoln Runners Up: Ebbsfleet

Champions League: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Man City

Euro Cup: Winners: Chelsea Runners Up: Liverpool

Super Cup: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Lyon

*Man Utd finished 5th but won the Champions League robbing Southampton of the fourth spot.

|Season | Club | Division | Position | FA Cup | League Cup | Johnstone's Paint Trophy | FA Trophy |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2013/14 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 18th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round Replay |
|2014/15 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 10th | 4th Quali. | | | 2nd Round Replay |
|2015/16 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 20th | 1st Round | | | 1st Round |
|2016/17 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 17th | 4th Quali. Replay | | | 3rd Round |
|2017/18 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 8th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round |
|2018/19 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 14th | 1st ROund Replay | | | Runners Up |
|2019/20 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 1st | 1st Round | | | 3rd Round |
|2020/21 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League Two | 2nd | 1st Round | 1st Round | Southern Quarter Finals | |

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, you're on a roll.

Five and a half years of limping along then an FA Trophy final and successive promotions. Patience of myself and the board have been rewarded. Was gutted that Peterborough survived in the Championship, finishing 21st. Would have made for a cracking derby.

Sky Bet League One 2021/22

Pre Season

Expectations:

Sky Bet League One: Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: First Round

Capital Cup: Be competitive

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Be competitive

Season Budgets:

Transfers: £0

Wages: £36,052 per week

Wages Spend: £28,141

Transfers:

cam-transfers-jul21_zpsf0cdcfcd.png

A busy summer by our standards and as per usual sticking to free transfers. That's 9 pre seasons done and just £500 been spent on transfer fees.

Kyelan Gill - Back up winger, shouldn't get much game time.

Tom Hitchcock - League Two Bolton's top scorer last season.

Geoff Ganfield - Back up left back played a handful of games in the Championship last season.

Brad Potts - 200+ games at this level and can fill 6 positions if required.

Tommy Callacher - Will start the season as the number 1.

Robert Hobbs - Another who is versatile, played a big part in Luton's promotion to League Two last season.

Lawrence Gorman - 4th choice centre back going into the new season.

Callum Brownlie - Brought in to replace Rhodri Roberts, who has yet to move.

Ciaron McCann - Should prove a good back up forward. 48 goals in 135 league games in his career.

Results

cam-res-jul21_zps4377c86d.png

As good as it gets. Ok, most of the games against inferior opposition but a win is a win.

Cup

Championship side Watford come to us in the first round of the Capital One Cup, which is also being televised.

Dafydd Gone......Sort of

cam-dafydd-aug21_zpsb1ff8c8e.png

A £725k move to Scottish giants Celtic was agreed for John Dafydd. Amazingly though Celtic agreed to loan him back to us until the end of NEXT season. On top of this we get ourselves a glamour friendly and a 50% sell on fee. And finally we get him back on loan and have to pay ZERO wages. So we have managed to sell our best player, highest earner and top scorer whilst keeping him for two years that will cost us nothing.

Wow! what a great deal for Dafydd! Congrats on the promotion! Finances will much prettier now :)

Very much so. A good £10k left in the wage budget, £700k transfer budget and £1.2m in the bank!!! Although I wont be strengthening anytime soon.

Congrats on the back to back promotions :thup:

Love the cracking bit of business involving Dafydd. Just hope he doesn't get complacent :(

Thank you very much!

He has gone two games without a goal :rolleyes: If anything I'm expecting more from him, always seems to be a player plays better on loan than when he is your own player.

Top deal!

Not often you can be delighted with selling your top player!

August

cam-res-aug21_zpsc874ed11.png

A brilliant start to life in League One with three straight wins. Coming from behind at Mansfield to win thanks to sub McCann was followed by an easy victory over Torquay. Just as easy was the three points at Oxford, leading 3-0 inside 31 minutes. Two home defeats followed, losing a close game with Chester before a dominant Burnley showed us how tough this league may be.

cam-tab-aug21_zps7a580598.png

Capital One Cup

cam-cup-aug21_zpsdadd33c1.png

Two down early on Watford totally controlled the game. We didn't have a shot on goal after Dafydd scored.

September

cam-res-sep21_zpsd208971d.png

Down to earth with a bump this month. Easily beaten against Birmingham before we threw away a 2-0 lead against Northampton. The final two goals coming in the 88th and 89th minutes. One of our better performances followed against Dag & Red before another blank and another defeat ended the month.

cam-tab-sep21_zps28d55965.png

Would settle for that position come May.

Transfers

Midfielder Rhodri Roberts has handed in a transfer request this month.

October

cam-res-oct2_zps5a38504b.png

A much better month which saw us collect 10 points and move up the table. A draw at last seasons League Two champions Portsmouth was a point well earned before a disappointing defeat to AFC Wimbledon had me worried. A good defensive showing at Shrewsbury allowed us to score two goals on the counter while Adam Pauley ended a ten game without a goal run with a hatrick against Doncaster. Fell two down at Gillingham before coming back to 2-2. It wasn't enough as the Gillls struck the winner with ten minutes left. The month ended with a with against Leyton Orient, who we also play next in the FA Cup. Back post volley from March and a header from 12 yards from Dafydd enough for the points.

cam-tab-oct21_zps0a3954aa.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-oct21_zps04615249.png

Totally changed the side around, eight of the starters hadn't started a game this season before that. Certainly looked at this competition as a distraction this year.

Awards

cam-pom-oct21_zpsb23f1123.png

Transfer News

Rhodri Roberts has now asked to come off the transfer list and is now happy to stay with the club.

cam-burnley-oct21_zps3c667a8f.png

cam-torquay-oct21_zps3a136b99.png

Following the Burnley offer the club proposed talks to stay. It was agreed to look for a new parent club, step forward Norwich City.

After talks with Torquay again the board wanted to discuss me staying. This time I opted to stay from the off.

Into November and the job interviews keep coming....

cam-ipswich-nov21_zps4a48a5d1.png

For the first time in this crazy month of job interviews I wasn't offered the job. Every other job I've been offered or I've pulled out after talks with Cambridge.

cam-bristolc-nov21_zps2b9bb046.png

Yet to hear back, not at all bothered, I won't be accepting.

cam-bristolc1-nov21_zps1ba5444b.png

After rejecting this offer I decided to request a new contract at Cambridge. I do still have 2 and a half years left on my current deal but a little wage rise would be reward for the successive promotions. The board rejected the idea of a new contract as apparently I have not done enough to deserve an early extension to my contract. Needless to say I totally disagree with that!!

cam-afc-nov21_zpsafb0d80d.png

November

cam-res-nov21_zps1b946183.png

A good month, well ten days for us in November. A defeat to 15th place Notts County was the down point but recovering well to hammer the then leaders Charlton 4-1 at their place was brilliant. Two home games against play off sides followed and in both games we were within eight minutes of winning before conceding levellers. Was only two years ago going to Sunderland in the FA Cup was a glamour tie, now we are disappointed to have only got a point from them.

cam-tab-nov21_zpsd09a9f8d.png

FA Cup

cam-fac-nov21_zpsd6e1c431.png

That's that for another year! On the plus side though...

cam-reciepts-nov21_zpsfb9485f4.png

December

cam-res-dec21_zpsccde53a9.png

Another tough month but four points picked up keeps us away from the bottom four. A great start a Crewe wasn't enough to get any points before leaders Ipswich gave us a lesson in possession and efforts on goal. A goal right at the start and right at the end of the match were enough. We came within seconds of three points at Bristol City, only a 92nd minute header ruining the day. A comfortable win over Oldham brought around the end of the first half of the season.

cam-tab-dec21_zps41520ad7.png

Fall from grace for Peter Kenyon! Not too many who wouldn't be pleased with that tbf...

Did have a good laugh at that along with Randy Lerner at AFC Wimbledon.

Only halfway through the 1st page but really enjoying reading this (even on Xmas day!). Nice to see a career being done with my hometown team.

Well I hope you enjoy the next two pages of reading, I have certainly loved all the wins and losses of this career. As you have seen there have been plenty of losses!!

April

cam-res-apr22_zpsf19c2696.png

Finally ran out of steam but still delighted with the first year at this level.

cam-tab-apr22_zpse22ed244.png

Jobs

cam-plymouth-apr22_zpsbdcfc993.png

Just finished 24th in the Championship. Declined the offer of an interview.

Facilities

cam-facilities-apr22_zps374a1ddb.png

The best news! It's been a long time coming.

Terrible last month but still a decent season overall. Just noticed Chester as well.

In fairness four of the games were against top ten sides...........(yes I do realise the other two games were against relegated clubs but sssshhhhh)

Sky Bet League Two 2021/22

End of Season

Sky Bet League One

Solid 13th placed finish in League One is not to shabby at all. The highest league finish for this club since finishing 10th in 1993/94

FA Cup

First round replay defeat to league rivals Leyton Orient.

Capital One Cup

First round exit also to Championship side Watford.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Out first time round again with defeat at Stevenage.

Finances

A huge balance by our terms, £668,613 sat in the bank.

Squad

Nine of our first team squad are leaving this summer. It sounds high but five were brought in from last summer that made just 15 league appearances between them. The other last summer recruit to be leaving is goal keeper Tommy Callacher who joins Blackburn for £6.5k. Harvey Pickering is off having ended the season on loan at Port Vale. One of the other two out are out of contract winger Solly March whose had a great three years with us but I feel lacks the long term quality to stay. Finally we say goodbye to a player I've been desperate to keep for years. Rhodri Roberts has given six years for the cause and after 230 league games, 34 goals and 33 assists he becomes the latest player to leave for the SPL. Rangers have offered £375k and that was deemed good enough.

Seasons Honours:

Premier League : Champions: Manchester Utd Champions League: Southampton, Arsenal and Manchester City Relegated: Norwich, Newcastle and Brighton

Championship: Champions: Watford Promoted: Blackpool and Blackburn Relegated: MK Dons, Chesterfield and Plymouth

League One: Champions: Birmingham Promoted: Gillingham and Oxford Relegated: Mansfield, Bristol C, Oldham and Torquay

League Two: Champions: Rochdale Promoted: Bolton, Tranmere and Stockport Relegated: Accrington and Grimsby

Skrill Premier: Champions: Bristol R Promoted: Colchester Relegated: Tamworth, Nuneaton, Worcester and Morecambe

Skrill North: Champions: Southport Promoted: Hereford Relegated: Hednesford, Worksop and Bedford

Skrill South: Champions: Eastbourne Promoted: Oxford C Relegated: Grays, Truro and Hayes & Yeading

FA Cup: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Blackburn

League Cup: Winners: Man City Runners Up: Southampton

Community Shield: Winners: Man City Runners Up: Southampton

JPT: Winners: Preston Runners Up: AFC Wimbledon

FA Trophy: Winners: Worcester Runners Up: Braintree

Champions League: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Juventus

Euro Cup: Winners: Chelsea Runners Up: Marseille

Super Cup: Winners: Chelsea Runners Up: Man Utd

|Season | Club | Division | Position | FA Cup | League Cup | Johnstone's Paint Trophy | FA Trophy |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2013/14 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 18th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round Replay |
|2014/15 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 10th | 4th Quali. | | | 2nd Round Replay |
|2015/16 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 20th | 1st Round | | | 1st Round |
|2016/17 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 17th | 4th Quali. Replay | | | 3rd Round |
|2017/18 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 8th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round |
|2018/19 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 14th | 1st ROund Replay | | | Runners Up |
|2019/20 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 1st | 1st Round | | | 3rd Round |
|2020/21 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League Two | 2nd | 1st Round | 1st Round | Southern Quarter Finals | |
|2021/22 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 13th | 1st Round Replay | 1st Round | Southern Second Round | |

Sky Bet League One 2022/23

Pre Season

Expectations:

Sky Bet League One: Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: Second Round

Capital Cup: Be competitive

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Second Round

Season Budgets:

Transfers: £813,000

Wages: £34,955 per week

Wages Spend: £32,063

Transfers:

cam-trans-jul22_zpsc45d4b93.png

Hit a bug here. Tried to loan out new signing Chukwudi, came up confirm deal and he signed for us again. I now have him twice!!

Squad:

cam-squad-jul22_zpsc0c0802f.png

Results:

cam-res-jul22_zpsa2fa2ac1.png

Sky Bet League One 2022/23

August

cam-res-aug22_zpsddebcb17.png

A fabulous start to the season ended after game one. We beat off Plymouth with ease before slipping to defeat in a close encounter at AFC Wimbledon. The next two games followed a similar pattern with us gifting the opposition two goals with own goals. We ended with a good point against Tranmere after taking a first minute lead.

cam-tab-aug22_zps6ba6e2e5.png

Capital One Cup

cam-cup-aug22_zpsd41fd0f8.png

Here is where we found our form, massively. Beating Championship side QPR 6-5 on penalties although two long term injuries took the gloss off. Then came a massive result against Premier League Wigan. 5-0 up at the break Wigan were reduced to ten men before getting themselves two goals back. Two more for us before a late third ended the scoring. A home tie with Premier League giants Manchester City is our reward.

Record

cam-rec-aug22_zpsdef8c491.png

Archived