[FM14] The U's and Me

kris0710

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQogY7oLwcLb5gkt3ucS8bqSczj7kn5HdAb_rJ8Mypp_AlI6cizLA

Cambridge United Football Club

Sky Bet League One 2027/28

August

cam-res-aug27_zpsce89df53.png

Now that's how to start a season. A close game with Peterborough kicked off the new season and after falling behind it was sub O'Brien who got us the point we deserved. We came out on top after a three goal first half at Shrewsbury with winger Wilson and PSV loanee Fenne putting us two up before the hosts scored a penalty right on half time. Again all the goals came in the first half against Barnsley with us coming out winners 2-1. Gambino scored 12 mins into his league debut but the away side hit back within a minute. Wilson was again on target in the 16th minute and from there the game calmed down with both keepers pulling off great saves. Easily our best performance came at Cheltenham where we ran out 3-0 winners. Left back Ganfield and Gambino struck in the opening period from Evans' assits with sub McMaster completing the scoring. We ended August with another three points over Bolton. Evans was the villain this putting through his own net but we drew level in first half stoppage time. The second half was end to end with both sides failing to hit the target enough until another PSV loanee Bond stepped off the bench and struck in stoppage time.

cam-tab-aug27_zps32470fbc.png

Award

cam-mom-aug27_zpsf6ca91a8.png

Capital One Cup

cam-cup-aug27_zps4f138961.png

A great cup tie at home to York has been made to look even better given their start to the league season. Twice in front we were pegged back but our use of the loan system came to the rescue with both PSV lads on target. A trip to Championship side Plymouth was so one sided it was ridiculous. Suppose that's what you get for making seven changes to the team.

Up next is the Johnstone's Paint Trophy where we face a trip to old rivals Luton Town!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September

cam-res-sep27_zpsfd230d2e.png

Great response after a poor start to September. The result at Gillingham flattered us massively. We were missing three players on international duty but that was no excuse for such a show. Next up took us to leaders FC Halifax and my run of luck with subs continued as McMaster and Fenne stepped off the bench to score late on. A double header at home completed our month and six points with eight goals scored was brilliant. Gambino has settled in great and the former Man Utd player has 7 goals in 8 games with 3 assists too.

cam-tab-sep27_zpsbadd91a2.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-sep27_zpsb64206ab.png

A much changed side still saw off our rivals but only just. As with the League Cup win over York we twice failed to hold a lead before winning through with the fifth goal of the game. Leyton Orient away is up next.

October

cam-res-oct27_zpsf1eed8d5.png

Ten points a month for the rest of the season will be a great return so no complaints from me here. We started this month as we did September, being well beaten away from home. A missed penalty at 3-1 down seemed to end our hopes of a comeback and Crewe were good value. That lost us top spot and took us to York, the new leaders, next and what a game it was. 2-0 down at the break we game back strong in the second half and had taken the lead by the 67th minute. Sadly that lasted a whole minute but a second from Fenne gave us a 4-3 advantage with then to play. We held on until the 89th minute and a bad back pass let in Whitby to level for York. Three wins followed with struggling Millwall seen off, Wrexham failing to complete a comeback as we were 3-0 up and then wining at fifth placed Oxford through a Fenne brace. Oxford scored in stoppage time to make the score look closer and that late goal was followed by another at Sheffield Wednesday as the home side scored with two minutes left.

cam-tab-oct27_zps7a71bd46.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-oct27_zpscbe34aa6.png

What is it with us and cup thrillers? Orient led three times through goals on 16, 59 and 90 only to see McCann score twice and then sub Gambino in stoppage time. That took us to penalties where young left back Hinton-Jones held his nerve in sudden death to win us the tie 5-4 on pens.

We have drew league rivals Barnsley at home in the FA Cup first round and Barnet in the JPT Southern Quarter Final which are our first two games of November.

cam-barnsley-nov27_zps3b2e351d.png

A fall from grace, wasn't long ago they wanted me after losing the Championship Play Off Final, now in a League One relegation battle.

cam-crewe-nov27_zpsfc4a13f3.png

Lost count of the amount of times Crewe have offered me an interview.

cam-youth-nov27_zpsd24fd7ac.png

More good news off the field.

FA Cup

cam-fac-nov27_zps313512be.png

That's right, another thriller. We took the lead after 27 seconds with thanks to an own goal only to concede just a minute later. We then fell behind after sixteen minutes only to copy Barnsley and level within a minute. The 21st minute saw Barnsley forward Andy Mitchell complete his hat trick but this seasons cup expert McCann made it 3-3 in the 27th minute. Two more goals followed at the very start and end of the second half taking us into the Second Round where League Two side Crawley visit us.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-nov27_zps893fbe02.png

With our league game against Swindon postponed because of international call up's I took the unusual decision to play my best eleven in this competition as we had an eleven day break after this one. That paid off as we won with ease. A goal in each half meant we are the only League One side left in the Southern Section where we travel to AFC Wimbledon.

December

cam-res-dec27_zps19998cbc.png

A poor month for the first time in a while. Things actually started okay at Sunderland as I had opted to rest man of my current starting eleven given we had just had 6 games in 18 days. Taking that into account I was happy with a point and having a refreshed team for the top of the table clash with second place Leeds. For a 1-0 it was a good game with plenty of chances but a blunder from our keeper allowed Leeds to score the only goal. Boxing Day didn't feel much better as we threw away a 2-0 lead against Leyton Orient who were better than us all over. A confidence boost was needed and we got it in the final game of 2027 with three points at Barnet. January starts with a trip to rivals Peterborough.

cam-tab-dec27_zpsd6011574.png

The gap to third has been closed by just a single point which is great considering the month we have had.

FA Cup

cam-fac-dec27_zpsf2d10c78.png

I don't mind swapping thrillers for a tight 1-0 win as we get through to the 3rd round for the sixth straight year. We have a home tie with Championship side Huddersfield.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-dec27_zps15cd82b4.png

A close match away at the League Two leaders but our cup strikers hit a goal a piece and we meet League Two Torquay in the Southern Final.

Unlucky last season Kris. Looking very good this.

So far so very good, even surprised myself.

You seem to live in a parallel universe where Crewe and Millwall offer you a job annually.

I am surprised I'm not an icon at either club. More surprising is Crewe are only on their sixth manager, it feels so many more. As for Millwall they are on their tenth!!

January

cam-res-jan28_zps5f743c32.png

Certainly not the best of months but again we have picked up ten points which is the target I want us to hit. We started off in the best possible way hammering rivals Peterborough 5-1 with a treble from Fenne. Rested players for the defeat against Shrewsbury and we looked good form most of the game until the winner game on 80 minutes. A second defeat followed in more heart breaking fashion with Barnsley scoring the winner in the 92nd minute. Successive wins followed with Pauley and McCann playing starting roles in both wins. The downside comes with an injury to Mattia Gambino that has ended his season. The month ends with a poor draw against FC Halifax. Both sides were awful and only having one shot on target each.

cam-tab-jan28_zps21253601.png

FA Cup

cam-fac-jan28_zpsc00a1ae6.png

A win over Championship side Huddersfield wasn't really rewarded as another Championship side Sheff Utd paid us a visit. We came back twice from behind to earn a replay. A disappointing reward awaits the winners, at home to Premier League Derby. Was really hoping for a big tie away to help pay for the facilities upgrade.

cam-rec-jan28_zpsd61709fe.png

February

cam-res-feb28_zpse55b5ac5.png

A great month in the league that saw us play eight times in all competitions. We kicked off with a good win at Colchester which was quickly followed by defeat at play off placed Carlisle. We were never in that game and it didn't help with youngster Warren Jenkinson scoring an own goal 16 minutes into his debut. Three homes brought maximum points against sides in 6th, 8th and 10th. Last seasons best youth prospect Danny Steenson struck his first goal for the club to seal the points against Crewe then a three goal blitz against Gillingham did for them. Finally captain McGlynn scored the only goal as he closes in on the all time record appearances for the club.

cam-tab-feb28_zps842b80d9.png

We only play one side in the top half during March, third place Sheff Wed.

FA Cup

cam-fac-feb28_zpsccaee982.png

It's looks like a thriller but it wasn't. 3-0 down after just 11 minutes put us out. We got a goal back from McCann but within a minute United had scored a fourth. Pauley brace in the second half set up a close finish but it's another 4-3 FA Cup defeat!

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-feb28_zps174538da.png

Our Wembley dreams were ended in a disastrous first leg. We raced into a 2-0 lead in the second leg but failed to break down the 4-5-1 Torquay deployed after the second goal.

So far, so good! Hopefully it is your year.

Just looking at the league table there's some big clubs in your division. Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Bolton, Wolves.

It's a good division to be in and it's looking like Leicester and West Brom could be in it next season.

March

cam-res-mar28_zps3d92c1db.png

Its hard to be critical, I want ten points a month but it could have been so much more. We started March needing to come back from behind twice to get a point against Millwall and then from behind to win 2-1 against Oxford after former striker Bhandarkar scored the opener. Another win came at Wrexham with youth player Steenson scoring his third goal in seven games. At home to Sheffield Wednesday was a huge game and in all truth they battered us. As the home side we had just one shot on target and a poor 32% possession. But despite that Wednesday needed a goal of the season contender to rescue a point. A long ball forward was chested then volleyed in off the bar from about 25 yards to finish the scoring. Successive 3-3 draws followed with stoppage time levellers in both. 1-0 up, 2-1 down, 3-2 up then Doncaster scored after 93 minutes for the first draw while the second it was our turn to score late on. 1-0 and 2-1 up we fell 3-2 behind before the returning Clegg scored in the 94th minute.

cam-tab-mar28_zps7d287da5.png

Lost top spot...but...

cam-po-mar28_zps688a8258.png

And we face Leeds away this month...

Youth Candidates

cam-youth-mar28_zpsf3b7354e.png

Evann Robson

Owen Cornwall

Henry Cooke

April

cam-res-apr28_zps90a71e3e.png

A nightmare start to April was not what we needed going into the final six games. Losing to an 89th minute goals against Wolves meant we slipped to third inn the table, a point below both Sheff Wed and Leeds. Travelling to Leeds we could not afford to lose and we didn't, just. That result put us back second as Wednesday lost to York. As we picked up three points at Leyton Orient, Leeds blew a 2-0 home lead and drew while Sunderland were humbled at home to Oxford 4-1. That put us top, two clear of Leeds and three ahead of Sheff Wed but with a better GD of 12. Next up 5th placed Sunderland were beaten off and with Sheff Wed winning and Leeds losing...

cam-promoted-apr28_zps7d0fe2da.png

A point was needed for the title but our GD was still 11 better than Sunderland. Now Leeds had dopped to third. Our final game went to plan...

cam-champs-apr28_zpsdaf22827.png

Our opposition ended up being relegated (with Peterborough) and that left Leeds needing a Wednesday slip. Leeds won 4-0 at Crewe but Sheff Wed lost at Wrexham so....

cam-tab-apr28_zps02057479.png

Nice work on getting up.... all the more sweeter with Peterborough getting relegated in the same season? :D

Any chance you can acquire Fenne permanently this season?

It was lovely seeing Peterborough go down again. It makes the defeats to them worth it! As for signing Fenne I would expect that to be near impossible. I was quoted £3.5m to sign him in January so unless that come down by about £3m it's a non starter.

Congrats on the Promotion! Your patience paid off!

:thup:Thank you. Patience certainly has paid off. Starting to wish I had put a better scouting team together a year earlier though. We manage to pull off upsets in the cup against Championship sides but over a 46 game season I don't think the squad is good enough.

End of Season

Sky Bet League One

A stunning season that brought the League One title to us.

FA Cup

Fourth Round replay defeat to Championship side Sheff Utd.

Capital One Cup

Second Round loss away to Championship side Plymouth.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Southern Section Finalists beaten by League Two Torquay.

Finances

Doing good with a balance of £3.7m. Early budgets are good for the new Championship season. £2m on transfers and £83k pw in wages.

Squad

In two minds here, the basis of the squad is decent but is it good enough for a 46 game season? Leaving anyway will be the two loanees from PSV. Fenne has had two brilliant seasons here but there is next to no chance of a permanent deal and we held talks with Bond about joining permanently but he rejected this. From the first team the only other two leaving is experience Andi Weimann and defender Daren Pitt. Both hardly featured last year and are out of contract. Left back Ganfield, right back Swann and centre midfield Stephens all made noises about moving in too but I'm hopeful promotion will have changed their minds.

Seasons Honours:

Premier League : Champions: Man City Champions League: Man Utd, Southampton and Arsenal Relegated: Swansea, Nott'm F and Brighton

Championship: Champions: West Ham Promoted: Cardiff and Wycombe Relegated: Yeovil, Middlesbrough and Leicester

League One: Champions: Cambridge Promoted: Leeds and Crewe Relegated: Barnet, Peterborough, Colchester and Doncaster

League Two: Champions: AFC Wimbledon Promoted: Bradford, Northampton and Hartlepool Relegated: Rotherham and Kidderminster

Skrill Premier: Champions: Lincoln Promoted: Fleetwood Relegated: Sutton, Bristol Rovers, Morecambe and Boreham Wood

Skrill North: Champions: Harrogate Promoted: Alfreton Relegated: Witton, Gainsborough and Chorley

Skrill South: Champions: Dartford Promoted: Ebbsfleet Relegated: Harrow, Salisbury and Hendon

FA Cup: Winners: Southampton Runners Up: Chelsea

League Cup: Winners: Man City Runners Up: Spurs

Community Shield: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Man City

JPT: Winners: Torquay Runners Up: York

FA Trophy: Winners: Accrington Runners Up: Welling

Champions League: Winners: Lyon Runners Up: Man City

Euro Cup: Winners: Spurs Runners Up: Ajax

Super Cup: Winners: PSG Runners Up: Lyon

|Season | Club | Division | Position | FA Cup | League Cup | Johnstone's Paint Trophy | FA Trophy |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2013/14 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 18th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round Replay |
|2014/15 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 10th | 4th Quali. | | | 2nd Round Replay |
|2015/16 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 20th | 1st Round | | | 1st Round |
|2016/17 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 17th | 4th Quali. Replay | | | 3rd Round |
|2017/18 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 8th | 4th Quali. | | | 1st Round |
|2018/19 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 14th | 1st Round Replay | | | Runners Up |
|2019/20 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 1st | 1st Round | | | 3rd Round |
|2020/21 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League Two | 2nd | 1st Round | 1st Round | Southern Quarter Finals | |
|2021/22 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 13th | 1st Round Replay | 1st Round | Southern Second Round | |
|2022/23 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 10th | 4th Round | 3rd Round | Winners | |
|2023/24 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 3rd | 3rd Round | 1st Round | Southern 1st Round | |
|2024/25 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 14th | 4th Round | 1st Round | Southern 2nd Round | |
|2025/26 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 13th | 3rd Round | 1st Round | Southern 1st Round | |
|2026/27 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 6th | 3rd Round | 2nd Round | Southern Quarter Finals | |
|2027/28 | Cambridge United | Sky Bet League One | 1st | 4th Round Replay | 2nd Round | Southern Finalists | |

Jags is your Assistant :D

love it.

Yes indeed. He left Everton in 2018 to join Aston Villa and once retired he was coach at FC Halifax. When I needed a coach in March 2024 he applied and then five months later I changed my backroom staff around and he was promoted to Assistant Manager I September 2024.

Well done going up at champions, especially after coming reasonably close a few years back.

Thank you very much. Thought we had blown it after the Wolves defeat though.

Sky Bet Championship 2028/29

Pre Season

Expectations

Championship: Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: Third Round

Capital One Cup: Second Round

Transfers

cam-trans-jul28_zps293ceac6.png

Six in this summer but two are for the future. No major departures either with just the players out of contract that I wanted to move on leaving.

Patrick Oxbrow - A £10k signing from Welsh side TNS, Oxbrow has been loaned out to Dag & Red.

Ijah Horton - Signed for free from Bournemouth Horton has played 30 Championship games while on loan at Shrewsbury.

Haydon Powell - Most of his career spent on loan at clubs in League One and Two. Won't start the season as first choice.

Harm Bond - Back for another season long loan. Spent last season on the left wing and contributed 9 goals and 17 assists in 40 games.

Brewster Faulkner - Broke the wage structure to bring in former Man Utd youngster. Had two good scoring loan spells in League One with Bolton.

Harry Richards - Picked up from Millwall U-18 squad he is unlikely to feature this season.

Results

cam-res-jul28_zps6ddcb517.png

Decent results pre season with the only defeat coming in front of a great crowd for Nigel McGlynn's testimonial at stadium:mk.

Capital One Cup

A trip to League Two side Stevenage in the first round.

August

cam-res-aug28_zpse3859c68.png

An expected tough start to the season but we get some relief with the win at Ipswich. The season kicked off at West Brom where former Cambridge stars John Dafydd and Rhodri Roberts lined up for the home side and it was Dafydd that scored the second goal. Our first 'home' game came against Crewe and we looked on course for the win after Hay had put us in the lead but Crewe scored with five minutes left to grab a point. Away day troubles continued at Portsmouth where we were 2-0 down after 26 mins but a stronger second half saw us halve the lead but we couldn't get that crucial second. The points were shared at stadium:mk when Everton arrived in town and although they bossed possession neither side looked like scoring. August ended with my 800th game in charge of Cambridge away to Ipswich who had won two, drew two of the first four games. Adam Pauley played his first Championship game and scored before right back Evans doubled our lead. Ipswich got a goal back with ten minutes left but we held on.

cam-tab-aug28_zps50890a73.png

Capital One Cup

cam-cup-aug28_zps55ee8f37.png

We struggled at League Two Stevenage before winning through and a trip to then Championship leaders Huddersfield was never important and I made nine changes to the team.

September

cam-res-sep28_zps098782c5.png

Ok lets not get to excited by this...We started off this brilliant month with a good point at 'home' to Sheff Utd before we travelled to Fulham. We were given a lesson in that game and how we escaped conceding just three was amazing. Then came the fantastic run of four straight wins. It started with a hammering of Leeds and was quickly followed by a solid win over the leagues bottom club. We cam from behind to beat Wigan thanks to a brace of penalties and amazingly Stephens actually missed a third spot kick. A trip to Brentford saw us go 3-0 up before the home side scored from the spot and got a second in the 92nd minute.

cam-tab-sep28_zps51d627ba.png

In dreamland.

Awards

cam-mom-sep28_zps2871c1a9.png

cam-pom-sep28_zpscb6780d6.png

Transfers

With promotion came the news I could now scout across Europe and I have made my first signing from a scout abroad. I have also brought in a player I've tried to sign all summer but fail to agree terms with.

Luis Enrique

Mike Rogerson

October

cam-res-oct28_zpsb74e7444.png

Form lasted long! We have a problem with getting goals from our strikers this season. In the league and two cup games so far my forwards have scored Luis Enrique (2 in 10), Mattia Gambino (4 in 15 but three came when playing on the wing), Ciaron McCann ( 0 in 7), Adam Pauley ( 1 in 9) and Brewster Faulkner ( 0 in 8). Back to October MK Don's travelled to their own stadium and scored twice in the last four minutes to win comfortably in the end. Another home defeat came against Charlton with captain Broadbent putting through his own net. Hull scored mid way through the second half as we lost yet again but that changed with 3rd place Coventry visiting. Two goals up from Stephens and Clegg meant that Coventry's goal in the 75th minute meant nothing. We ended the month with another defeat where a former player did the damage. Emmet Sheridan who had a brilliant loan spell with us back in 2024 scoring 15 in 16 including 5 goals away in the derby to Peterborough scored both goals in this one. He is on loan from Celtic who paid £1.3m for him after his loan spell with us.

cam-tab-oct28_zpsb76bf786.png

Jobs

cam-brighton-oct28_zps2de01b9a.png

Stadium

cam-stadium-oct28_zpsbf6d3801.png

Our stadium is now all seater and the spell at stadium:mk is over. Our first game back at Abbey Stadium will be against Swansea on November 18th.

November

cam-res-nov28_zps9f52a9f0.png

Another tough month has got me worried now. Our overall performance is ok, we aren't being battered off the park at all but what we aren't doing is scoring goals. An own goal at Brighton killed us off after we halved the 2-0 lead the home side had built up then struggling Swansea were the visitors in the first proper home game of the season. They won it with a back post header with 15 minutes left. Travelling to high flying QPR was always going to be tough and injuries had not mounted up meaning the now transfer listed Faulkner got a chance and for once he took it. Sadly we conceded three times after that and came away pointless again. A tweak in the formation came and I guess made the difference as we saw off Blackpool thanks to sub Adam Pauley.

cam-tab-nov28_zps02d0bcc0.png

Thankfully two sides are terrible at the moment and are starting to be cut adrift.

FA Cup

Hopes if an easy third round tie to give us some confidence were shattered with the news we will travel to Manchester City. In every other year it's the dream draw. The game has been moved for TV also so that's another £120k in the bank.

December

cam-res-dec28_zps08e5e782.png

We seem to be in a rut of winning a game a month and that needs to change quickly. I expect there to be a busy January once the transfer window opens with two players already agreed moves away from the club. Fell behind early at Huddersfield but got level after 18 minutes. Two defensive injuries struck and so did the home side, twice before the break. We grabbed a second half consolation and with that a place in the bottom three. Probably one of our better performances came against Plymouth but again we failed to take any of our chances leaving Plymouth with the points. The big boys of the league Forest handed us a lesson despite us taking the lead. Don't know what to expect though given the fact that we have the lowest wage spend in the league (£3.7m pa) compared to Forest who have the most (£31.59m pa). West Brom came to town and what a game it was. Our only win of the month saw Luis Enrique score twice either side of half time only for the away side to score almost instantly after our second. The two goal lead was restored after 59 minutes but Broadbent's third og of the season kept West Brom in it. Right back Simon Evans seemed to seal the points with a long range effort but old favourite John Dafydd returned and score in the 89th minute but we hung on. Amazingly so given we had just 29% possession. Boxing Day started off like a dream with us 2-0 at Crewe but a penalty then goals on 78 and 88 saw the home side complete the comeback. We ended 2028 with a point at home to Portsmouth, McCann levelling after Pompey went a goal up in the first half.

cam-tab-dec28_zps0ff3a700.png

January

cam-res-jan29_zpse8a48f73.png

Certainly more like it. A few changes in personnel along with a change in tactic have brought around so big results. We kicked off the month with a tight defeat at Everton who scored the only goal after just five minutes. 5th placed Ipswich came to town next and goals from new signing Rey and September recruit Luis Enrique gave us the points and some confidence going into the next game, 2nd place Fulham. We led the game twice but Fulham showed quality with two long range efforts to share the points. A trip to Sheffield United didn't go to plan although after going 2-0 down once we got a goal back we played the better football and deserved a point. Our biggest game of the season finished January with rock bottom Leeds away. In a weird day six of the bottom seven were playing each other which just added to the pressure. 21st place Blackpool were denied a win at 22nd placed Brentford by conceding in the 91st minute whilst 23rd placed Chesterfield held 19th place Huddersfield so with us winning at Leeds it really was a good day. We fell behind at Elland Road but a treble from Rey put us in command. A goal with 11 minutes left gave Leeds hope but we clung on.

cam-tab-jan29_zps56ed7d3a.png

A great position considering where we were. Next up is Chesterfield away too.

FA Cup

cam-fac-jan29_zpse291d095.png

It wasn't an important game and fielding five youth players proved it. All I was interested in was the attendance.

Transfers

This month has seen three first team squad members sold, another loaned out and seven more in the reserves looking for moves away from the club. First out the door was big wage summer signing Brewster Faulkner. Came to talk to me and disliked being told his performances hadn't been good enough for a first team spot currently. Asked to leave and when Leeds offer £100k upfront and £400k over the next 48 hours I practically piggy-backed to Elland Road! Defender Roger Swann, asked to leave last season for a new challenge after six and a half years here. An offer from League One Hartlepool was enough to see him go. Another who wanted out was back up keeper Patrick Kennedy so when Premier League Bournemouth offered £64k for him his three and a half year stay ended. Leaving in loan is young winger Keith O'Brien. Despite playing pretty well so far this year he needs to play more often so sending him to Notts County should benefit in the long run. Seven more players have been told they have no future with the club and it's time to be ruthless. So transfer listed is record appearance holder Nigel McGlynn, record league scorer Adam Pauley, winger Ian Clegg who has been here seven and a half years, winger Harry Wilson, striker Ciaron McCann who scored 69 goals in two spells here, defensive midfielder Derek Rowntree who hardly featured in his 18 months here and finally summer defensive recruit Ijah Horton.

Ins:

Ian De Lamper - Youngster left Zulte Waregem and comes highly rated from three of my scouts.

Dominique Rey - With strikers failing this year it's time to gamble and another Belgian with a great scout report joins after leaving Oostende.

Elias De Smedt - The final of the Belgian recruits De Smedt left KV Mechelen without playing a senior game.

Gary Bowen - Tried to sign in the summer but failed the former Swansea man has now agreed to come.

Derek Whelan - Another on my summer wanted list the former QPR man has been a good scorer in League One and Two with loan spells at Dag & Red and Stevenage.

Papa Fofana - New left back was released from Bordeaux and only injury stopped him joining in August. Away at the African Cup of Nations at the moment.

February

cam-res-feb29_zps47bc0603.png

Another testing month that saw us lose to two of the three teams below us. Chesterfield deserved the points after twice being in front we pegged them back from set pieces before they clinched the win with 17 minutes left. The televised game over Wigan started great, a 2-0 lead within 15 minutes but the away side hit back before the break, Wilfried Zaha getting the second before our third goal came from another of the new guys. Brentford beat us with an early goal and a return to stadium:mk wasn't a happy one and keeper Beasley was credited with an own goal.

cam-tab-feb28_zpsac6dc747.png

Squeaky bum time...

March

cam-res-mar29_zps09f5271b.png

A better month thanks to a change of formation has made the final few weeks of the season look a lot more comfortable. March started away to Charlton where everything happened inside the opening 17 minutes. Two goals, two bookings, an injury and we hit the post. We started well against Hull scoring first but three goals before the break did for us. We quickly scored after Hull's fourth and they completed an easy win late on. That brought an end to my formation I've used since 2018 and saw us line up against Birmingham playing 4-2-3-1. This seems to suit Rey brilliantly as he followed up his double over Birmingham with a treble away to Coventry. Sub Luis Enrigue and defender turned attacking midfielder Rogerson sealed a great win. We end the month with a close defeat at play off placed Swansea but we played well which was pleasing.

cam-tab-mar29_zps0a4d0b2f.png

Chesterfield or Brentford need to win all their games to stand a chance.

Youth Candidates

cam-youth-mar29_zps32e5e023.png

Terrible bunch this year and none were kept on.

Archived