FM14 TACTIC - "THE FULCRUM" - Back to Back Promotions + Cup Win

.....I should add. Not to those that know the game but those looking for or expecting instant success..... :D

A tactic is only one piece of the jigsaw, albeit a very big piece, so nobody should expect one tactic to be a 'win' button. But I've been playing the game a long time over many versions (religiously every year since 1996ish).

It's not boasting to say (I just want people to understand that I've learned the hard way), but getting the little things helps in managing morale/rotation and most importantly the right players max's it out as well.

- I won't touch a player with less than 10 on any of DETERMINATION, TEAMWORK, WORK RATE. Staple diet breakfast of champions.

- I have sussed a long time ago how to max out manage morale through interactions etc. And if a player is a pain in the neck attitude wise, he's history. Short term pain (maybe?) but long term gain.

- I take my backroom staff recruitment very seriously. Max out player finding, judging ability and training.

- I rotate my team constantly, so it's a 22-25 man squad not a first team. With 50+ games per season in the English Leagues....

Not to hijack your thread Mr U Rosler, but don't want peeps to think there's a tactic out there that will solve all. This tactic is a superb big piece of the jigsaw, but to state the obvious to what will be obvious to long-term players, it's still a piece of the jigsaw for any new players out there.

From another long-termer (right from year 1).... totally agree. Have always thought morale is the key and never play a player under 94% fit which means needing at least 22 players (with another 11 under-21s who can fill in the gaps). Long-term, staff is a big factor and have come to realise that mental qualities can more than make up for technical limitations.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't post screenshot because at work but:

The v.4 has helped me finished just outside the Europa league qualification with my fresh promoted Paris FC2000. It has been a fantastic season given the player I had to use. They were noway good enough to reach this position. Given the results a tycoon just came to the club so while it is nothing like big money Monaco or PSG, close to 30 millions euros should help next season.

I can't wait to start it and will definitely post results here. Thanks again Mr. U. !

.....I should add. Not to those that know the game but those looking for or expecting instant success..... :D

A tactic is only one piece of the jigsaw, albeit a very big piece, so nobody should expect one tactic to be a 'win' button. But I've been playing the game a long time over many versions (religiously every year since 1996ish).

It's not boasting to say (I just want people to understand that I've learned the hard way), but getting the little things helps in managing morale/rotation and most importantly the right players max's it out as well.

- I won't touch a player with less than 10 on any of DETERMINATION, TEAMWORK, WORK RATE. Staple diet breakfast of champions.

- I have sussed a long time ago how to max out manage morale through interactions etc. And if a player is a pain in the neck attitude wise, he's history. Short term pain (maybe?) but long term gain.

- I take my backroom staff recruitment very seriously. Max out player finding, judging ability and training.

- I rotate my team constantly, so it's a 22-25 man squad not a first team. With 50+ games per season in the English Leagues....

Not to hijack your thread Mr U Rosler, but don't want peeps to think there's a tactic out there that will solve all. This tactic is a superb big piece of the jigsaw, but to state the obvious to what will be obvious to long-term players, it's still a piece of the jigsaw for any new players out there.

I'm also a long timer, and can agree with everything here,

For player recruitment I always buy guys no older than 21, who have played for the youth team of their country a few times. as soon as a guy hits 26/27 he's on his way out, seems to work for me over a number of years

If your at a smaller club, these guys are golden, they wont all be great, but quite a few will be, and can be signed for nothing even in L1 or L2 (I still have 4 guys in the premier that I had as 19 year olds in L2, who are now full internationals)

With Mr Rosler V4, its a lethal combination:)

Just wanted to say thanks for the tactic Mr Rosler. I'm using the V4 version, best tactic I have tried, so credit to you and you have saved me from getting sacked in my Arsenal save, things were going pretty bad.

No worries and good luck.

I've noticed that in terms of scoring chances, after the Complete Forward its the Central Midfield/Attack that gets the most scoring chances.

Its like he operates as a deep lying Shadow Striker, interesting that one of the 'less flashy' roles can be devastatingly effective. More effective in fact, than an actual Shadow Striker playing from the AMC position.

Thanks for all your tactics. I'm using V2 and V4 and I'm having good results playing with Newcastle.

Thanks to your V2 and V3 (which I've used somewhere mid-season to avoid a slump), I've finished 4th, matched the board's expectations in the FA and League cup. (twice quarter finals)

Then I've played with V4 at the beginning of the second season, I've eliminated FC Porto in the Champions League qualification stage, fell into a group with Barcelona, Dortmund and Dinamo Kiev. Finished second after Barca, lost twice from Barca playing your new MIG-tactic, same in the Premier League, got mixed results, referred back to this board to see you recommending using V4 again, which I did, results improved drastically.

Now halfway the season, sitting 3rd in the league behind Chelsea and Man City. (4 points behind Chelsea who are first) so I'm happy, the board's happy, fans are happy. Easy to keep my job thanks to you! :)

I'm eliminated in the Champions League in the second round. After finishing second in my "group of death" I was unlucky to get drawed against Real Madrid in the second round. In Madrid I've lost 1-0, while at home I was leading 2-0 until Madrid got a penalty in the 89th minute, 2-1 and Madrid qualified on agg. I've still got a golden opportunity in extra time but my false number 9 (was playing Gouffran in that role for that particular game) missed narrowly...

Anyway, V2 and V4 gives me the best results, BUT, with V3 I've conceded lesser goals. So, to me that tactic's more steady on the defensive side. (I've used it for about 25 PL-games in my first season.

Thanks for the good work, I believe this is the best FM14-tactic so far. Keep up the good work, I'm a fan from now on. :)

Starting my third season in Brazil with Flamengo (Jan/2015). Just brought old Kaka in! ;)

Anyway, I will start this season with v4, even though I was happy with v2 and with v2_DEF. Let the comparisons begin.

I will keep you guys updated.

A questions for those of you who have used v2 and v4.

How do you feel about blending the 2 tactics. Putting the DM back to Anchor, bringing back the Advanced Playmaker role to the centre of midfield (we only want one designated playmaker) but retaining the Complete Forward/Attack and false 9 combo.

The best of both worlds?

The Regista sounds nice but mine has only contributed 3 assists in 35 games. I think i'd prefer a Brutal Thug in that role, a genuine shield infront of the back 4, playing it simple when he has the ball.

what do you think?

I don't normally post in these threads and tend to lurk more, but your tactic has forced me to post.

Firstly your tactic is terrific and it has a very "realistic" feel to it. Heading into March with Man Utd and I've only lost twice, both being 1-0 losses (to Chelsea and Everton away!) and only 1 draw with the rest being victories. I'm not smashing teams and some games I struggle to keep hold of possession and get shots on target but, overall, I am pretty confident of scoring regardless of this.

I just feel though that this tactic (V4) is a few small tweaks away from being terrific. The two things that stick out to me are the shots on target ratio, which is generally very low, and also getting the best out of every player. I've found that Wayne Rooney has struggled big time in both positions and up to this point has a meagre 9 goals - Welbeck has basically supplanted him and is playing much better alongside Van Persie. I'm not sure how this could be done, but it's two things that jump out at me as small improvements that would make this tactic go from brilliant to absolutely brilliant. Maybe I'm being greedy.... ? ;)

But cheers for the tactic Uwe, I think it's defensively very sound and it creates a lot of chances each game which is excellent to see. :)

I don't normally post in these threads and tend to lurk more, but your tactic has forced me to post.

Firstly your tactic is terrific and it has a very "realistic" feel to it. Heading into March with Man Utd and I've only lost twice, both being 1-0 losses (to Chelsea and Everton away!) and only 1 draw with the rest being victories. I'm not smashing teams and some games I struggle to keep hold of possession and get shots on target but, overall, I am pretty confident of scoring regardless of this.

I just feel though that this tactic (V4) is a few small tweaks away from being terrific. The two things that stick out to me are the shots on target ratio, which is generally very low, and also getting the best out of every player. I've found that Wayne Rooney has struggled big time in both positions and up to this point has a meagre 9 goals - Welbeck has basically supplanted him and is playing much better alongside Van Persie. I'm not sure how this could be done, but it's two things that jump out at me as small improvements that would make this tactic go from brilliant to absolutely brilliant. Maybe I'm being greedy.... ? ;)

But cheers for the tactic Uwe, I think it's defensively very sound and it creates a lot of chances each game which is excellent to see. :)

Yeah, there are limits to what tactics can do. And I think we are pretty close to those limits with this tactic.

On v3 I was able to reduce long shots and increase shots on target by having the whole team on 'shoot less often' and adding work ball into box, but the football was overly complicated, un-natural looking and less effective.

possession is good to a point, but at the cost of incisive play its not worth it. i'd take 50% possession with some direct elements to the play which is pretty much where we are.

Rooney will score if you give him a run in the team. I'm not sure how quick he is but i would probably put him in the false 9 position. (or even retrain him to the central midfield role if you like)

Hi!

I´ve been using the V4 and I like the style it displays but I´m having trouble with my Striker scoring. It seems he is more a player to assist rather than score. It is normal or something can be tweaked? I´ve tried somethings but without sucess

Hi!

I´ve been using the V4 and I like the style it displays but I´m having trouble with my Striker scoring. It seems he is more a player to assist rather than score. It is normal or something can be tweaked? I´ve tried somethings but without sucess

which striker are you referring to, Complete Forward or False 9?

Furlo2007 i just tried the CM > AM with Very Fluid and its been brilliant. I've had one bad game a 3-0 loss to West Ham, but i lost my right back after 16 minutes due to two stupid yellows so i can't use that as a gauge. Otherwise I've won every single match I've played with Liverpool in my second season (15 games in with Champs league footy). So far so good. Coutinho is a master in that AM role and i was worried i might have to sell him as he wasn't cutting it in any other position in the v4.

Mr U Rosler these tactics have been amazing, and while i tried to use my successful 4-3-3 in FM14 from FM13 it wasn't cutting the mustard like this is. Thanks for the support you are giving this thread and the time you've put in even with a house move.

Furlo2007 i just tried the CM > AM with Very Fluid and its been brilliant. I've had one bad game a 3-0 loss to West Ham, but i lost my right back after 16 minutes due to two stupid yellows so i can't use that as a gauge. Otherwise I've won every single match I've played with Liverpool in my second season (15 games in with Champs league footy). So far so good. Coutinho is a master in that AM role and i was worried i might have to sell him as he wasn't cutting it in any other position in the v4.

Mr U Rosler these tactics have been amazing, and while i tried to use my successful 4-3-3 in FM14 from FM13 it wasn't cutting the mustard like this is. Thanks for the support you are giving this thread and the time you've put in even with a house move.

If u have a player sent off i usually take off the AM, i have won alot of games with 10 men as well

Top link is V4...same one i posted. It's considered the best version released so far. Some still have success with V2, download both and try.

Cheers furlo2007 i think i did take off the AM, but my squad just imploded on the day.

Have a go at putting mentality up to Attacking i have tried it a few times i think it makes the front 3 even better

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I believe i've been able to squeeze an extra 5% out of the tactic.

Nothing major, based on the v4 framework with 1 role change and optimized set pieces.

However i've come up with a system of interlinking key attributes for each role which really compliment the tactic and enable you to build a squad around it and get the very best out of it.

And i'm not talking about needing lots of great attributes for each role, just ONE key attribute you can really go after, with 3 supporting attributes which can be matched at a lower level. (lower leagues you can literally go after just the 1 key attribute)

These attributes are so influential when they are combined they actually change how the tactic plays out.

Anyway, the plan is to launch the tactic on a new, all singing,all dancing thread on monday detailing everything you need, not just the tactic but a SYSTEM encompassing all areas of the game all geared towards maximising the potential of this one tactic.

Naturally, if all you want is the tactic, that's fine. but there will be a lot of complimentary information available for those who need it.

Thanks for listening :thup:

So you have a diamond formation in the middle of the park? How is it affecting the defensive side of things?

i have experimented a lot with the diamond formation. Using an Enganche in the AMC role.

It worked very well but the main draw back was the box to box midfielders became too narrow, they stopped helping out the fullbacks when defending as they were too near the centre of the pitch, attacking wise it became a bit congested thru the centre of the pitch. Although you could definately build a succesfull tactic around a diamond.

By having an attacker in the middle of a midfield 3, we 'push' the box to box midfielders wider which helps both offensive and defensive play. I have my central midfield/attack on 'get further forward' with freedom to roam and find space and they basically operate as a deep Shadow Striker.

Oh yes...reading all the stuff here my hope rised again...i've downloadad V2 and V4...first away-match with Dortmund in Hamburg...1:45 played...GOAL Reus...now i was expecting real wonderthings about the tactics...the match ended 2:2 and the point wasn't deserved for me...reload...other version...2:1 Hamburg...fully deserved...

I can't perform in away-games...i've tried lots off own tactics...lots off downloadad tactics...nothing works...i'm not happy with the game...don't think i will play anymore... :(

After 5 league games this season I lost 3 and was on 4 points. In January I'm now 2 points off the top.

If you give up after 1 loss when the tactic isn't even fluid then this game probably isn't for you I'm sorry to say.

I actually enjoyed the challenge of recovering from a poor start. I knew why it happened (lots of new signings, 3 away fixtures against big teams and some bad luck). I knew my main job was to keep morale as high as possible until things turned around. Which they did.

Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Well, I've followed the advice of switching to V2 and after half a season, I have been getting much better results. Seems the Anchorman - AP - Poacher combo is working, at least results wise. I am not entirely happy about the performance of my strikers however. In general, we are winning or drawing games, but wasting a *lot* of chances. This is a very common result for me, using V2:

2yzepud.png

Dominating possession, loads of shots, a good rate on target, and making sure the opposition does not get many on us - yet, the result is a draw, or a narrow win / loss.

How could the tactic be improved in this aspect?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I believe i've been able to squeeze an extra 5% out of the tactic.

Nothing major, based on the v4 framework with 1 role change and optimized set pieces.

However i've come up with a system of interlinking key attributes for each role which really compliment the tactic and enable you to build a squad around it and get the very best out of it.

And i'm not talking about needing lots of great attributes for each role, just ONE key attribute you can really go after, with 3 supporting attributes which can be matched at a lower level. (lower leagues you can literally go after just the 1 key attribute)

These attributes are so influential when they are combined they actually change how the tactic plays out.

Anyway, the plan is to launch the tactic on a new, all singing,all dancing thread on monday detailing everything you need, not just the tactic but a SYSTEM encompassing all areas of the game all geared towards maximising the potential of this one tactic.

Naturally, if all you want is the tactic, that's fine. but there will be a lot of complimentary information available for those who need it.

Thanks for listening :thup:

Any chance of a sneak peek tonight of the changes or player attributes?

A questions for those of you who have used v2 and v4.

How do you feel about blending the 2 tactics. Putting the DM back to Anchor, bringing back the Advanced Playmaker role to the centre of midfield (we only want one designated playmaker) but retaining the Complete Forward/Attack and false 9 combo.

The best of both worlds?

The Regista sounds nice but mine has only contributed 3 assists in 35 games. I think i'd prefer a Brutal Thug in that role, a genuine shield infront of the back 4, playing it simple when he has the ball.

what do you think?

As I previously said, I was very happy with v2 and now I am just testing v4 to support you with more data.

My opinion:

- Anchorman instead of Regista - DEFINITELY! Specially because it is quite difficult to find players ready for that position/role. The offer of Anchormen in the world is much more vast. Also, I am a fan, like you, of the brutal thug in front of the DCs!

- AP instead of CM - no formed opinion yet. I will have to see how the CM operates in v4 before giving an opinion

- About the strikers...the v4 model is probably better, because it was the only 'so-so' part of v2 for me.

Archived