FM14: Liverpool F.C Thread - This Year is our Year!

cezar.sl

I think injuries at Liverpool seemed to be an issue on last years save as well for some reason. I am not sure if this is coded into the game or what, but many people in the LFC thread seemed to have more complaints about excessive injuries than in any other threads about the game. Gerrard in particular, for someone who played the entire of last season pretty much niggle free, is injured all the time!!

With regards to Milognet it is tricky, IRL he has been OK but not amazing and IMO he was never exactly 'world class' before he joined us. I suppose it is a case of getting your coaches training him and see how he develops, you do still have Reina back next season don't forget after his loan deal expires.

I appreciate that Milognet is not World Class and but still, he seems to be awful for me. I have snapped up Akineev to on a free transfer as short term solution, want to get Ter Stegen in the summer as well. I sold Reina to Napoli for £9million.

Sturridge is also someone who will be sold in the summer. 15 games, and only 3 goals. Performing really badly no matter what settings i have given him. Seems like the PPM of long shots have ruined him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game is a joke everytime im leading either i lose or draw its ******* me off now

i was in the same boat aas you whatever i did i would always lose or draw then eventually get sacked. i then started a new game and used the 4-1-2-1-2 formation bought werner and Matuidi. Now im fighting for forth after 15 games best start ive had on this game, give that formation a go pal

This game is a joke everytime im leading either i lose or draw its ******* me off now

It's tough mate, but when you take a lead, are you dominating the team? Do you go defensive and invite pressure? what are your instructions? I have noticed all these things matter. For me, in narrow margin games, i shut up shop and send 5 at the back, 2 holding DM's, 1CAM, and 2 up top. That way, im solid at the back, yet the 2 Strikers help with counter attacks.

It's tough mate, but when you take a lead, are you dominating the team? Do you go defensive and invite pressure? what are your instructions? I have noticed all these things matter. For me, in narrow margin games, i shut up shop and send 5 at the back, 2 holding DM's, 1CAM, and 2 up top. That way, im solid at the back, yet the 2 Strikers help with counter attacks.
Attacking & Fluid i need better players for the tactic to work

Only Positive thing so far is Sturridge is scoring goals for me already 8 in 10 games

He seems to be give a mixed bag of results for a lot of players. Only issue I have is that I am hoping i can hold out for a top 2 finish this season so i can get a big transfer budget in the summer, but thinking what striker is out there what would be able to slot straight in and also compliment Suarez.

MXxHxhb.png

This kid is looking good. Brought him on for half an hour in the Capital One Cup and he scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

He'll probably end up as a DLP or DM, best attributes are passing, creativity and tackling (16/15/15) and at only 16 has plenty of time to improve.

Alright lads. Think I've done all the business that I can in the transfer window and playing my last friendly.

I've sold:

Skrtel for £6m

Reina for £10m

Hendo for £5m

Suarez for £45m to Bayern

Johnson for £25m to Arsenal

Sturridge for £9m to Athletico

Allen for £7m to Newcastle

Enrique for £4.5m to Southampton

total sold = £111m

Bought:

Tielemans for £2m

Litmanen on a free

Reveillere for free

Zuccilini for free

Werner for £5.25m

Zivkovic for £550k

Balanta for £11m

Doria for £8m

Insigne for £14m

Will Hughes for £10m but loaned back

Romero for £6m

Alex Telles for £4.3m

Montoya for £6m

Lacazette for £6.5m

Javi Garcia on loan

Dos Santos on loan.

total spent - £74.11m

also cancelled Cissoko's loan deal.

Looking forward to the new season. Strengthened midfield quite a bit as well as on the wings with Insigne and Lacazette. Werner and Aspas will probably be my main strikers. Got high hopes for them. Wanted to sell Agger to but no good deals for him so gonna keep him for a while for more strength in depth and quality. Main thing was cover for Lucas with Zuccilini & Romero and Garcia. Also just got Jonathan Dos Santos on loan too as extra cover.

Just started a game with Liverpool. Not quite sure yet if it's going to be a long term save or a kind of "see if I can get a 3-5-2 working in the Premier League" kind of save, as I'm a huge fan of the formation and pretty much always use it.

So far I've sold Reina to Napoli for 12.5m, loaned out Wisdom, Ilori, and Flanagan. Also bought Matudi from PSG for 7.5m, and Marcos Rocha from Miniero for 6m.

I've also got the board to drop the signing young first team players thing, and added in developing players from my own academy.

Only about 5 days in though so should be an interesting pre-season.

i was in the same boat aas you whatever i did i would always lose or draw then eventually get sacked. i then started a new game and used the 4-1-2-1-2 formation bought werner and Matuidi. Now im fighting for forth after 15 games best start ive had on this game, give that formation a go pal

You got a screen shot of the formation?

Brought 5 players in so far for a total of 42.25m and sold Lucas and Johnson for 66m combined

Players in

Casteels, Honda, danilo, Romero & Brandt

Trying to get in Mitriovic as a final signing but not willing to go over 20m so trying to unsettle him

Finding it hard to get rid of deadwood, I'd have to be happy with a free player to go for him

Fair enough, try offering them on loan if you're not getting a fee that you'd like for them. And you can negotiate a future fee too, so could be beneficial.

Might need to start again. Made a mistake by selling Suarez I think, don't really have enough quality upfront. Will see.

Think you would need him in season 1, depending on how you finish he could be sold then and replaced once CL football is achieved

MXxHxhb.png

This kid is looking good. Brought him on for half an hour in the Capital One Cup and he scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

He'll probably end up as a DLP or DM, best attributes are passing, creativity and tackling (16/15/15) and at only 16 has plenty of time to improve.

Same here.

0yIANsC.png

Only thing I don't like is that the facepack I have doesn't have him.

Season 1, January Update

Matches

Not the best month. Gerrard cost us 2 point by giving away a penalty in the 79th minute against Southampton.

The City loss would have easily been a draw with better finishing.

W5ZJmeT.png

League Table

Sitting comfortably in 2nd place. Chelsea's lead look too much right now.

fOW4Nuv.png

Transfers

Honda in on a free.

3BCfwgU.png

Player News

Henderson injured for a couple of months. He was becoming the engine of my midfield.

CstPYm8.png

Coutinho is becoming a very special player.

b6FZ9Xc.png

Think you would need him in season 1, depending on how you finish he could be sold then and replaced once CL football is achieved

Yeah :(. Tried with Aspas and Werner but don't think I should entrust the first season to them. Not sure about Sturridge either.

The thing that annoys me is the contract that all the players in the club atm are on. They are excessive, e.g. £10k for appearances etc and unused sub stuff which is really really annoying to me.

How would one go about making Suso be at the club still? Via the editor right? Might want to do that. Also might delete all the unused sub stuff within the contracts, but meh dunno about that one. Deffo gonna sell Allen but probably keep Hendo...Still probably sell Johnson for about £25m and Skrtel & Reina etc. Need better wingers though, that's the main thing I feel.

What's the best role combination for Suarez + Sturridge?

If you are playing 2 up front, then Sturridge as AF or P and Suarez as DLF or F9 IMO.

I play Sturridge as IF(A) on the left and have him learning the "cuts inside" PPM and have Suarez up front as Treq which is working ok (we are winning a lot, but Sturridge isn't scoring a lot - 0.25 goals per game).

btw, to those interested:

Current Position: #1 - 12-1-0 (drew to Chelsea at Stamford bridge but have beaten United, City and Arsenal).

Tactics:

4-5-1/4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

High pressing, short passing, very low tempo. Managing to dominate possession for the most part which I am happy with but not enough CCCs for my liking. I've been tweaking my setup over the course of the season and my team really seems to be clicking now. 4-5-1/4-3-3 is my preferred formation, setup like so:

Suarez (Treq)

Sturridge (IF-A), Moses/Sterling (IF-S or W-S - change it depending on what I'm seeing)

Coutinho (CM-A), Pogba/Gerrard (DLP-S)

Lucas (DM-D)

Enrique (WB-A), Sakho/Agger (CD-C), Skrtel (CD-X), Johnson (FB-S)

Ins:

Pogba - CM/DM with 5 star potential, is physically robust and technically competent. Long term replacement for Gerrard and short term cover for Gerrard, Lucas and Coutinho. Often starts ahead of Gerrard.

Volland - ST-AM(L/C) with 4 star potential and was available relatively cheaply. Picked him up on deadline day after Aspas and Sturridge both got injured. Can fill in for Suarez or Sturridge.

Outs:

Allen - needed to fund the Pogba deal, otherwise I'd have hung on to him as he's a useful backup.

I also had a deal for Ramsay accepted (imagine a midfield of Coutinho, Ramsay and Pogba, simply mouth-watering), but decided to cancel it and go with Pogba (couldn't get enough cash together).

Plans for next season:

Need better central defenders still. Sakho is error-prone (but godly when he doesn't make errors), Agger and Skrtel have also been inconsistent for me. Toure has crap stats but has actually been good for me, despite being played most often as a DM or RB. Will sell at least one, probably two central defenders in the summer.

Will also make a move for Shaw for my LB spot (Enrique is not bad, but not great either), if I can find the money.

I also need a combative midfielder to take over from Lucas. Ideally I want Javi Martinez and I think I'll make him my priority signing, unless somebody else moves for Shaw. I'll be willing to offload Lucas if needed to make up the money, but if I don't have to Henderson is gone (we've got a couple of young kids that are ok in CM that can deputise in emergencies/domestic cups).

Suarez is underrated in FM but still essential to my system, so I'm on the lookout for an improved version, but I'm not expecting to find one.

I want my future team to look something like this:

Suarez

Sturridge Coutinho Sterling

Martinez Pogba

Shaw Sakho Skrtel Johnson

Mignolet (he's crap in FM, but a better keeper will have to wait until my 3rd season I think).

Wow, he looks amazing. Going to develop him, Sinclair and Ibe and the others that are 4* ish. How did you train him? Tutor him by Lucas, Gerrard etc?

Tutored him with Blaise Matuidi; problem is this far into the game, there are far superior regens knocking about so I think I'll just loan him out to boost his price tag before moving him on. The rest like Ibe, Rossiter etc were distinctly average for me.

Jerome Sinclair is the best of the bunch in my game

VxpvEqZ.png

Some interesting stuff here guys. Keep it up.

How much was Pogba?

Been reading some interesting things about tactics and as such, will be making some changes to how I normally play in order to get them to play how I want to. On the top of my agenda is getting rid of PPM's like shoot from distance from most of the players, especially Sturridge.

Playing horribly but top of the league by Christmas, because other AI teams are abysmal. Moyes and Pellegrini sacked in December. Rafa, by the way, is 16th with Napoli and about to get the sack.

I'm experiencing a similar situation, I'm top with 27 points after 11 games and I have struggled in every game bar one. My all conquering tactic from the beta just hasn't worked and has now been comprehensively reworked. Whereas before I was playing fantastic free flowing possession football I feel as though I am now grinding out results and have not been comfortable even when 2 up at half time. I have a feeling I just don't have the quality of players to play the sort of football I'd like but I do keep the ball exceptionally well!

I'm experiencing a similar situation, I'm top with 27 points after 11 games and I have struggled in every game bar one. My all conquering tactic from the beta just hasn't worked and has now been comprehensively reworked. Whereas before I was playing fantastic free flowing possession football I feel as though I am now grinding out results and have not been comfortable even when 2 up at half time. I have a feeling I just don't have the quality of players to play the sort of football I'd like but I do keep the ball exceptionally well!

So far, only Chelsea and City outplayed me.

Other losses were stupid decisions by me.

Yeah :(. Tried with Aspas and Werner but don't think I should entrust the first season to them. Not sure about Sturridge either.

The thing that annoys me is the contract that all the players in the club atm are on. They are excessive, e.g. £10k for appearances etc and unused sub stuff which is really really annoying to me.

How would one go about making Suso be at the club still? Via the editor right? Might want to do that. Also might delete all the unused sub stuff within the contracts, but meh dunno about that one. Deffo gonna sell Allen but probably keep Hendo...Still probably sell Johnson for about £25m and Skrtel & Reina etc. Need better wingers though, that's the main thing I feel.

I put a recall option through the main game editor before starting for suso

Did one season as a test on the beta that went okay, and regretting stopping that one now. I've tried three times to get into another save with Liverpool on the full game, but I just get the most ridiculous results.

I use instructions that should encourage possession football, but in my most recent save I had Stoke away, Brentford at home in the league cup, and Chelsea away who got a man sent off in the 5th minute. But not once did I have more possession. Despite all the highlights being me attacking, and getting 20+ shots away in each game.

That's just the tip of the iceberg though. If I'm making clear cut chances, I'll miss them. If I'm not, I'll be shooting from distance despite having everyone with 'shoot less' as an instruction. If I get a few shots on target, the keeper will save them all and usually end up as MotM.

And in general the team just seems to play awkward football. Trying passes that just aren't on, not running to a loose ball, not closing down, under hitting passes, shooting with their wrong foot from daft angles etc.

For me we've also got Mignolet and Sturridge that are very underrated on the game, and even Suarez is slightly underrated considering he was one of the top 3 players in the league last year. I don't think I've ever seen him get 30 goals in a season on FM. So that's two vital parts of the team that just aren't as good as they should be from the off. But I don't want to just use the editor, as I wouldn't get the same satisfaction knowing I'd done it.

Season 1, February Update

Matches

Two stupid losses, midfield weak due to injuries. Out of the FA Cup to a Championship team.

A six-pointer vs Tottenham means we stay 2nd.

TcAMXQO.png

League Table

Chelsea are as good as champions. We're 9 points of 5th, so CL football will return to Anfield next season.

iEOMt4D.png

Is it possible to defend on this game? was playing 4-2-3-1 but the opposition were getting over 20 shots per game against me, i lost 5-0 against chelsea and switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 to try and help out my defence and had mixed results since and just lost 6-0 at home to swansea... getting really frustrated now.

i'm having players get ratings of 4.3 or 4.4 and can't fine them because they have already been fined recently for other poor performances, and players complaining when they do get fined even though they are getting really poor ratings.

Nope! Defending is broken, being looked at allegedly for the next update whenever that is.

if that's the case then that is poor, a fundamental part of the game not working. i've never bought a racing game where the car doesn't start or a shooting game where the gun doesn't shoot.

Is it possible to defend on this game? was playing 4-2-3-1 but the opposition were getting over 20 shots per game against me, i lost 5-0 against chelsea and switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 to try and help out my defence and had mixed results since and just lost 6-0 at home to swansea... getting really frustrated now.

i'm having players get ratings of 4.3 or 4.4 and can't fine them because they have already been fined recently for other poor performances, and players complaining when they do get fined even though they are getting really poor ratings.

Nope. Playing spurs, Townsend has the ball and crosses it. Sakho is marking Soldado and next minute with nobody else in proximity Sakho just strides out leaving him with a tap in

Archived