Continue 13 save in 14?

Please excuse me if this has been long answered or is not possible. My only defense is I am an American still relatively new to futbol and FM

I preordered FM14 yesterday after being sucked in by several you tube videos, but I LOVE my v13 save. I have almost 500 hours in and am only in my third season. I am only doing so\so (4th in the EPL) but have spent so much time micromanaging this club I would hate to have to start all over. I have scoured the earth and built up a youth system of future stars and it will be so sad to never see them reach their potential. I also am having a hard time playing on, if I know that I wont be able to continue this save in about three weeks.

Is there any easy way to import this save into the next game?

I have been doing this in OOTP for years (in fact I have one save that I started on v1 and have imported every single year through the current v14)

wow, I wonder why they never considered it.

I think a large part of the problem is that, unlike OOTP, FM uses much more of a proper relational database file rather than multiple .DAT files and is more "hard-coded"; which means if they make schema changes year to year, they would have to have a specific module to update whatever database that was being used to the new version (the permutations of which are numerous, e.g. upgrading from last version, 2 versions ago, etc).

Bottom line is that OOTP was designed to be backwards compatible from the beginning and FM wasn't and once you get so far down the line, it's all but impossible to go back without a complete rewrite from scratch.

I think a large part of the problem is that, unlike OOTP, FM uses much more of a proper relational database file rather than multiple .DAT files and is more "hard-coded"; which means if they make schema changes year to year, they would have to have a specific module to update whatever database that was being used to the new version (the permutations of which are numerous, e.g. upgrading from last version, 2 versions ago, etc).

Bottom line is that OOTP was designed to be backwards compatible from the beginning and FM wasn't and once you get so far down the line, it's all but impossible to go back without a complete rewrite from scratch.

best explanation I have heard. Makes complete sense.

Still disappointed because of how much time I have invested in this save, and I am one of those people that simply plays one save for a long time vs lots of different ones. But I understand now and can plan accordingly.

best explanation I have heard. Makes complete sense.

Still disappointed because of how much time I have invested in this save, and I am one of those people that simply plays one save for a long time vs lots of different ones. But I understand now and can plan accordingly.

Remember.. no one is forcing you to stop playing FM2013.. lots of people still play FM2012, FM2011 and some even play FM2006 and I'm sure some still play CM00/01 :)

Just stick with 2013 for a while and enjoy your save.

Each new version of FM takes at least 5 months to get patched up to an acceptable standard anyway. It's never worth buying on release these days imho, so just continue your 2013 save for a good few months yet and move over to 2014 in...2014 when it will be a much better game than on release, and probably a lot cheaper as well.

A better explanation:

'Profit.'

Yeah that makes no sense whatsoever.

How does not being able to carry on a saved game mean more profit. If anything it encourages people who are enjoying a saved game NOT to buy it.

"Dont be a dingbat" - Keith Lemon 2013

Yeah that makes no sense whatsoever.

How does not being able to carry on a saved game mean more profit. If anything it encourages people who are enjoying a saved game NOT to buy it.

"Dont be a dingbat" - Keith Lemon 2013

If SI made it possible for users to play FM13 games on FM14 with all the new features and bells and whistles, there would be fewer people buying FM14. Meaning, less profit. Get it, dingbat?

If SI made it possible for users to play FM13 games on FM14 with all the new features and bells and whistles, there would be fewer people buying FM14. Meaning, less profit. Get it, dingbat?

What?!?!? HOW?!?!?

Jamman had it right... I see no reason why I WOULD NOT buy FM14 if I COULD play FM13 save games on it... You are making no sense!

Think carefully, each new FM is built to resemble the rl football world in its entirety as closely as possible at a given point in time.

There is no way to shoe horn in a different football world and retain the "current date integrity" you'd actually have to do it the other way around and add as much of the new game as possible to the existing save.

Wow you contradict yourself in one sentence.

If they did make it so you can carry on there would be more people buying FM14 so they could carry on their new game with new features. (as you say), meaning more profit. (as you dont say).

As it is people who are loving their FM save cant carry on have an incentive to stay with FM13.

Dingbat.

Whoosh! Yeah, Jamman and Klyemann had it spot on. Your version makes no financial sense whatsoever! Don't give up the dayjob!

wow, didn't mean this discussion to get off target.

I will say I believe being able to continue saves would make we CONSIDERABLY more likely to buy the next version as I would always want to continue with my save, but enjoy the new features. I have purchased every single version of OOTP for that very reason (and to support the developer.) I believe the profit motive would absolutely make this a smart option.

Having said that, one of the early responses pointed out how the database format changes too much, thus making it a technical hurdle. I do understand that, and their reluctance to dedicate resources to some sort of conversion utility.

Would be a great feature if they ever added it, and I think they might be underestimating its appeal to the end user. I have already purchased FM14, but I do believe of all of the feature lists I have seen, continuing a season would be at the top of my list, surpassed only by the tactics plan.

Perhaps the new real time editor will actually make that a workable option for some.

I think you are right. I think it will be the closest thing we will be able to get.

At the very least, I think it is a huge step forward and one that I am glad to see they took.

Maybe the next step is a Save Game to Editor File conversion utility. At least that way it is only a one-way module since they will already have support for reading that year's editor file.

A better explanation:

'Profit.'

Ok ok I get, sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick. I was thinking more along the lines of releasing an updated version, but with FM14's features. Never mind.

LOL. This was a seriously funny run of posts.

wow, didn't mean this discussion to get off target.

I will say I believe being able to continue saves would make we CONSIDERABLY more likely to buy the next version as I would always want to continue with my save.

You say that but you also said that you have pre ordered FM14 so I can't see them doing what must be a massive amount of work to make this possible when people are buying the game without this anyway.

Archived