Promising Youth Players - Loan them out or keep at club??

Hi,

Does anyone know for sure what the best method of getting the best out of your prmomising young players is?

I am a top 4 prem club and have heavily invested in europes finest 16/17 year olds all rated 4-5 stars.

Now, do i:

a) loan them out to championship clubs where they will play most games in first team, giving them great exposure to first team football, but the internal training facilities and set up won't be as good as mine, or

b) do i keep them at my club until they are 18/19 where they will get the best coaching and training facilities around.

i usually go for option A but i just wondered if anyone knows for sure which method is more effective in-game?

cheers

keep them at club

they will develop around 15 times faster at youth league with good youth facilities and good coaches instead of sending them to lower leagues with very bad facilities and coaches

edit:

also i dont know if this is a ingame bug or problem or whatever, but whenever i send my younger guys out on loan, they perform really really poorly, 9 out of 10 always score a average rating of 6,2-6,5, i dont know why... really weird, i stopped sending them out to loan

Keep them at the club, they won't develop the way you want them too and it will only stall their development. That being said, if you feel that you cannot development them any further but can't give them any games, loaning them off to a club maybe helpful but make sure the clubs facilities are good and the manager has good-great stats on working with youngsters, motivating and man management (might be missing out on some there, sorry).

I had one regen striker a few saves ago who was developing fine but I had no room to give him enough games and he had developed enough to the point that he just needed a consistent amount of games, so I loaned him out to Derby in the Championship and ended him scoring 30+ goals and had the manager on his favored personal and the club on his favorite clubs but that was the only time that a loan move for a youth player had actually worked for me at least.

I may be wrong (would be good if someone can say for sure) but I think there are also implications on the home-grown status of loaning players out, in that loaning a player out for a whole season means they don't count as spending a year with you? so I always try and ensure my most promising young players spend at least 3 years at my club before the age of 21 so they will get full home grown status.

What about 19-20 year olds who could play bit-part roles in your team (Dortmund in my case) or go on loan to be first-team regulars at similar level teams (Frankfurt, Lyon, Werder Bremen)? My loanees have played about 25-30 league games for these top teams with ratings of about 7.10, which seems great, but the AI always tells me that they are "happy to be back after an unsuccessful loan spell". I find that quite weird.

I always keep youth players at club, to focus on the positions and attributes for that position that I want them to. At 18 I'll loan them out, if they have first team promise then only half season loans to get them games so I can develop them the other half with better coaches.

What about 19-20 year olds who could play bit-part roles in your team (Dortmund in my case) or go on loan to be first-team regulars at similar level teams (Frankfurt, Lyon, Werder Bremen)? My loanees have played about 25-30 league games for these top teams with ratings of about 7.10, which seems great, but the AI always tells me that they are "happy to be back after an unsuccessful loan spell". I find that quite weird.

Believe that wording is a bug. I recently had a CB return from an "unsuccessful loan spell" where he started 38 games with an average rating of 7.49, won player of the match 8 times, and saw his attributes increase significantly.

I wouldn't be afraid to loan guys like that out as long as they're going to get regular playing time.

Believe that wording is a bug. I recently had a CB return from an "unsuccessful loan spell" where he started 38 games with an average rating of 7.49, won player of the match 8 times, and saw his attributes increase significantly.

I wouldn't be afraid to loan guys like that out as long as they're going to get regular playing time.

Similarly I had a player on loan for the season who was my top scorer in the Conference South, who when he returned to his club it said it'd been unsuccessful. I went in for him for another season long loan and he refused to even entertain the idea at first, which is bizarre.

These are the factors of player development:

* Potential Ability

* Professionalism

* Ambition

* Match experience and match fitness

* Coaches and training facilities

* Average rating and morale/motivation

The most important ones are Professionalism, Ambition and Match experience. Without good values here they won't develop. When it comes to match experience, there are a few things to keep in mind:

* Match experience gives the player "ability points" which is distributed through training. The only two things training do are to keep physical fitness high and distribute ability points gained from match experience into attributes.

* The reputation of the league in which the player gets match experience determines how many "ability points" a player gets for each match. The lower the reputation, the fewer such "points".

* The Current Ability of a player determines what level of football he needs to play at to develop further. A "Decent player for most Premier League sides" won't improve much from playing Championship football.

This means that for a player to improve from going loan he should ideally play in a league which has a higher reputation than his current ability (report) indicates. He needs to play well and start every match, so there must be little or no competition in his position at the loan club and that club must win most of the matches they play and likely with an attacking tactic that gives the players good ratings. He needs to be Professional and he needs to be Ambitious, otherwise no amount of match experience will matter too much.

In other words, successful loan spells are rare.

I have three categories regarding what I do for youngsters.

1: They are good enough for first team footy

2: They need a bit of gametime and experience on loan to be good enough

3: They won't make it at the club.

For the 1st option I usually make my youngsters backup in the first team, and let them play in domestic and european cups.

For the 2nd option I loan them out for 6 months and then let them develop at my facilities for the other 6 months, I find that it is the best way to make a player progress, as they get game time AND tutoring and improving at my facilities.

For the 3rd option I may send them on loan if they are borderline decent, but I usually have them hanging around as reserves/under18's for squad depth until they hit 21 then I sell them.

It depends on the player and the club you plan to loan them too. Both scenarios (keeping them at club and loaning them out) can be successful or detrimental to their development. As someone mentioned earlier, check the manager's attributes to see whether he could benefit the player. Also, check the tactics played by the club, there is no point in loaning a sweeper out (extreme example, but you will get my point) if the club doesn't use one.

How can I upload a screenshot? I will show a player I loaned out at my old club who then turned into one of the best midfielders in the world.

Archived