FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aight, ended my first season, and it was perhaps one of the most rewarding seasons ive had with Arsenal on this version. I cant be arsed with a long recap so ill just briefly go over the comps.

Premier League

We easily won this, I think it was all wrapped up with 8 games to play or something. Neither Man U or Chelsea could remain consistant enough to challenge really. We ended up with 108 points, only dropping points three times in draws. Man U were next on 82 points, and Chelsea just missed out on second with 81 points. Man City rounded out the top four on 72.

FA Cup

As metioned in my half season report, we were knocked out early due to an upset by a fired up Southampton side.

League Cup

After our huge win over Liverpool in the semis the kids went on to win convincingly 4-1 over Blackburn in the Finals.

Champions League

A tough Semi Final tie saw us draw Man U. We managed to get a solid 4-1 victory over them in the home leg first up. The return leg was another excting game, with Man U actually winning 4-3 on the day but it wasnt enough as we went through 7-5agg. In the Final we met Real Madrid and an inspired performance from Robin Van Persie saw us come out tops 2-1 with Saviola getting an injury time goal.

So im pretty happy with the season, trophy wise ive had a lot better but it was fun sticking with pretty much the original squad and using the young kids more often.

Player performance wise Adebayor once again was prolific, laying on 43 goals and 10 assists in 38 games. Van Persie was key to the team with 29 goals and 20 assists in 42 appearances. Cesc once again controlled the game and worked very well with Denilson, often with those two setting up our scoring attacks. Walcott repayed the faith I put in him giving him the number 1 spot out right. He actaully played the most game for the club with 48 [34(14)] and layed on 13 goals and 10 assists but it was really his constant running at the defence with the ball that was his biggest asset. In the u18s Mario Balotelli has been dominating with 38 goals and 7 assists in 30 appearances for the U18s and reserves. With him playing so well there is even more reason for me to offload once of my strikers.

So going into the summer break the squad is (Including Loan Returnees):

GK: Almunia, Neuer, Fabinski

DR: Sagna, Hoyte

DC: Toure, Gallas, Djourou, Armand, Senderos

DL: Clichy, Traore

MCd: Denilson, Song

MCa: Fabregas, Diaby

AMR: Walcott, Rosicky

AML: Nasri, Vela

FC: RVP, Eduardo

ST: Adebayor, Bendtner

Vela has seen most of his time on the wing and I want him to be playing a lot more striker so Eduardo is most likely out the door, as much as I like him. Almunia is also seeing his days dwindle away at Arsenal, its more a matter of when an offer comes. Other players that I will entertain the idea of selling should a good offer come in are, Gallas, Diaby, Eboue and I think I would conisder letting Adebayor leave too, just to change things up a little. I will be promoting at least one youth player to the first team, but that will be pending on who leaves, candidates are Nordtveit, Sakho, Sankhare, Wijnaldum and Balotelli. With Sankhare the most likely as he would fill Diaby's spot.

Anyway, tell me what you think etc

EDIT: Left Senderos off the player list.

theincrediblehulk

Yes, I am :).

Mark

Good team Mark. Winning the Champs League in the first season itself would be awesome. And you did it with a formation which I personally would consider very attacking.

You covered pretty much about the transfers. You may as well look for someone better than Song for back-up to Denilson. Its all fine now but a few seasons down the line you are in for a selection headache when Lansbury, wilshere, Merida, Sankhare and Wijnaldum come through the youth ranks. ;)

Soli

Cheers mate, yeah im looking for someone a bit better than Song, although to be honest Song was pretty solid, I have Djourou who can play there anyway. Im looking at either Stelvio or Bolzoni, leaning towards the later as eh is more of a hard tackler by the looks of it.

Has anybody noticed that when Traore comes back from loan at Portsmouth he is a natural from WBL all the way down the flank to AML, pretty good, now I dont need to bring in another Winger lol.

£24m for Robinho, a pretty decent price, would go against my youth movement, but would make the fans really stoked. I really cant decide, plus it doenst help that Chelsea had an offer accpeted.

Mark.

Good season mate. I would definitely look to get rid of Almunia as well. Ever since his howlers the other day against Spurs, I just cant stand to look at him. That is, unless he redeems himself against the big guns!

I dont think you need to invest anywhere tbh mate. Bolzoni would definitely be a step up in class from Song and you should be able to sell Song for more than you can get Bolzoni for. Quality player that lad is. Although Song is more versatile.

Get rid of Senderos and promote Nordtveit. Sell Eduardo if you wish to play Vela upfront. That way, you'll be able to give more games to Vela and Traore as they can both play left wing when needed. Not to mention Rosicky as well.

I would suggest keeping Eboue around. If you've updated some players of yours, I would suggest updating him a little too and making him more versatile. Make him accomplished on the right wing and competent at DM, CM, LM, AML & AMR because he's played pretty much everywhere this year for us. I've really started liking him now as he's cleaned up his act quite a lot.

Lastly, forget Robinho. Thats a great price I know but stick with what you have. Your players are just as good as him. Keep the faith even if it means Chelsea will get him. It might make things more interesting for you as Chelsea would become stronger I'd think. :thup:

Mark.

I would suggest keeping Eboue around. If you've updated some players of yours, I would suggest updating him a little too and making him more versatile. Make him accomplished on the right wing and competent at DM, CM, LM, AML & AMR because he's played pretty much everywhere this year for us. I've really started liking him now as he's cleaned up his act quite a lot.

I've been saying since last year :rolleyes: but no one seemed to believe me!

What was your first post in this thread? Here's mine, nothing special:

Originally posted by leobell20:

I Just finshed my first season with arsenal i won the carling cup and premiership went out of the fa cup in fourth round to liverpool at home and lost to man utd in champions league semi final. i was reading your comments down below and there all valid points about the winger needed and a keeper but i notice no one mentioned mortam gamst pedersen i purchased him for 12 million and he started as a rotation player but by the end of the season had replaced rosicky completlly and i am now considering selling him and bringing merida up or gibbs to be the back up to pedersen. I also was not entierlly happy with djouru being on loan and the prospect of nordteviet as my back up centre back so i plumped for vincent kompany who was a bit pricey at 14million and took a while to settle down but he and toure have built up such an understanding that kompany has replaced gallas in my second season now in the heart of the defence with gallas. keeper wise i didnt buy anyone in the first year as i found that almunia was a great first choice and fabianski a brilliant back up and by the end of the season he to had established himself. I won the league in the end by 1 point on the last day of the season which is not bad considering me and manchester united who where my last game of the season finished 12 points at last ahead of chelsea and liverpool.

Deep breath now....

The transfer window just closed, and this is what happened in my first 2 months:

I won 2-0 over Middlesbrough

Got a 0-0 draw at Emirates against Red Star

Won 3-0 over Derby

Won 4-0 against Man City away

Won 7-0 away against Red Star

Bought/loaned:

Georginio Wijnaldum(Feyenoord)£275.000

Mamadou Sakho(PSG) £350.000

Jeremy Menez(Monaco) £9.75m

Genero Zeefuik(PSV) £200.000

Ever Banega(Boca) £2.9m

Henri Saivet(Bordeaux) £400.000

Micah Richards(Man City) £27.5m

Iago(Barca) £4.3m

Diego Capel(Sevilla) loan

Total: £45.5m

Sold/loaned out:

Gilberto Silva(Juventus) £7.25m

Denilson(Man City) £3.4m

Emmanuel Eboue(Aston Villa) £5m

Rui Fonte(Derby) £120.000

Abou Diaby(Aston Villa) £3.9m

Vincent Van den Berg(Cheltenham) loan

Mathieu Flamini(Sunderland) loan

Alexandre Song(Newcastle) loan

Total: £19.75m

And this was my 2nd.... A little longer than the first:D

Here's my first transfer report:

End of First Transfer Window Report

Transfers In (£)

Sergio Aguero-AM/FC-15M

Henri Saivet-AMR/L/FC-Free

Geoginio Wijnaldum-AMRLC-Free

Transfers Out (£)

Manuel Almunia-GK-2M

Games so far

Arsenal 3-0 Portsmouth (PRM)

Aguero, Distin(OG), Bendtner

Arsenal 3-0 Salzburg (ECC)

Aguero(2), Gallas

Arsenal 3-1 Bolton (PRM)

Aguero(3)- Diouf

Arsenal 5-1 Reading (PRM)

Walcott, Aguero, Bendtner(2), Senderos

Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool (PRM)

Bendtner, Fabregas

Arsenal 3-0 Salzburg

Adebayor(2), Bendtner

Manager's Assesment

So for am very happy with the squad. Aguero is tearing the league apart! Found that Bendtner is doing much better next to guero than Adebayor, after a 2 week injury he is going to have to fight for his place back. For my 2nd leg against Salzburg I played players who hadn't played much yet. Fabregas looks as if he has been quiet, but started up most of my attacks. Liverpool match was amazing. By the end of the first they had no shots! By full time they had one! Shows my defence are strong.

Aguero Watch

Bought him for more I usually buy players, I always try to aim for £10M and lower, much like AW, so decided to show you how he does!

App - 5

Gls - 7

Ast - 3

MoM - 3

Will report back after January!

Well I for one have left the Arsenal 08 save and even uninstalled the game from my desktop. i just can't wait for FM 09 to release. I just hope I get my hands on the new FM game earlier than I did last year.

And yes as soon as I try out the demo i will post my comments on theincrediblehulk's new thread.:)

And yes as soon as I try out the demo i will post my comments on theincrediblehulk's new thread.:)

there is already a arsenal thread for fm09

doesn't matter who it is made by, a thread is a thread, but of course times have changed since last year where we would get a bollocking for making threads before the new version had come out

there is already a arsenal thread for fm09

doesn't matter who it is made by, a thread is a thread, but of course times have changed since last year where we would get a bollocking for making threads before the new version had come out

Has Cleon disappeared?

if the arsenal one was to be deleted there would be alot of trouble, i mean only teh southmapton & Pompey threads are any good because they are mde by the clubs researcher so they have some infomation about the FM09 club

Not necessary, JayMusa isn't an evil guy, he's a nice enough bloke from what I have seen of him forum wise ofc. I'm sure if hulk PM'd him and showed him his club thread for Arsenal he would understand and it could be deleted. But it's not my call of course...

JayMusa is indee a nice person (have been friends with him for many years) not sure why he would actually make the arsenal thread though when hes a avid birmingham supporter

Probably just so he could take the credit when the new Arsenal thread is once again the best on the forum. No disrespect to JayMusa but I think it shoudl be deleted and let Hulk get his on.

Thanx for the support guys. Appreciate it.

However, seeing as the thread has been made, I think we should leave it be. The new thread looks nice and is done well. Probably better than what I would have. I'm sure you'll all agree that it does look nice.

There is just one question that I'd like answered though - would the creator of the thread be actively participating in that thread? With all due respect, I dont remember seeing him on the FM08 Arsenal thread too often. My thinking is that someone who creates a thread should be actively posting in it else it doesnt make sense.

Its always nice to have more people joining us on the Arsenal thread. So as long as we get another regular poster, I'm happy.

That being said, if people still want me to start the new Arsenal thread myself, I'd be happy to do it.

Thoughts....

Archived