FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just finished my second season. While only my second season with Arsenal this will also be my last one with them on FM08. It was a very enjoyable if a bit easy save and I will most probably come back to manage Arsenal in FM09 at some point maybe already in the demo even though I may not take on the challenge I played with this save then as thinking about it this seems better fit to Internazionale considering their name.

Brief season summary:

Only minor changes to the squad were made to keep the good harmony up. This notably improved the overall team performances. We conceded 13 goals less than last season while scoring 25 goals more than last season, all while playing only five games more than last season. The fact that there was no ACN to disrupt us and that injuries to important players came at a later time this season also helped.

We only were defeated four times throughout the season. Once 0-1 away to Sunderland who ended our six league wins in a row runs on the seventh match day. We just could not score that day. Once 1-2 away to Juventus in the Champions League. Once to Newcastle in the FA Cup semi final on penalties after a 2-2 draw. And once 0-4 away to Real in the Champions League semi final first leg. This last one was the most depressing because we had so many chances but could not get a single goal. For the return leg we seemed to be able to do anything at first getting in 2 goals early on and generally dominating. We managed to go 4-0 ahead at some point but conceded a late(80ish minute) goal on the break to make it 4-1 and see Real through.

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsenalsquad2rf1.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsenaloverviewgr8.jpg

Those Cups we won were all pretty easy the only close one score wise was the Carling Cup final against West Ham which we won only 2-1 despite having tons of chances.

Transfer News

INS:

Burdisso - 10m

Vermeulen - 7m

Wiese - 5m

Kallstrom - 12m

Chygrynskyi(who suprisingly got a work permit) - 9.5m

OUTS:

Gallas - 10m

Diaby - 6m

Silvestre - 4m

Almunia - 5m

Probebly overpaid on a couple of the INS but Arsenal have money so no big deal. Got rid of the deadwood in the squad(in my opinion anyway) and brought in some good but different buys.

1st Match - Bendtner hat-trick seals the points. =)

Pre-Season Report

Fixtures

Played 5

Won 3

Drawn 2

Lost 0

Scored 14

Conceded 2

Tactic - Undecided With..First 3 Games Of The League Season Will Be A Proper Test

Squad - Near enough complete, have a good solid defence base in Sagna, Clichy, Toure & Mertesacker although still dodgy about Almunia..Midfield is good i reckon although would still like a good attacking player to partner Fabregas as i think Rosicky will have a tough time staying fit through the season, Denilson, O'Toole & Dunne will fight for the DM spot while Nasri will own the AMC spot unless injury prevents him.. Strikers are typical Vela & Bendy back ups to Adebayor & Persie with Walcott a added bonus

Transfer News

INS:

Burdisso - 10m

Vermeulen - 7m

Wiese - 5m

Kallstrom - 12m

Chygrynskyi(who suprisingly got a work permit) - 9.5m

OUTS:

Gallas - 10m

Diaby - 6m

Silvestre - 4m

Almunia - 5m

Probebly overpaid on a couple of the INS but Arsenal have money so no big deal. Got rid of the deadwood in the squad(in my opinion anyway) and brought in some good but different buys.

1st Match - Bendtner hat-trick seals the points. =)

Chygrynskyi's a great signing. :thup:

Discostu - I use a formation similar to the one posted up on this page, though a little more attacking. I'm kinda aware of the normal 'well-known' young players, was just wondering which of the current Arsenal youngsters you find come through best? Murphy is doing really well for under 18's, and I like the look of a couple of others.

Can you guys post some winning Arsenal tactics in here? I only have 2 Arsenal tactics and I'm looking for something new. Or just post the tactics you currently use for Arsenal. :)

Is it better to use a fast/slow tempo for Arsenal? At fast tempo my team scores some of the craziest every goals but with slow tempo there's more consistency..

Thanks for help guys, appreciate it.

I'm about to start my third season. I'd love to bring more youth players through, but that may lead to couple problems.

1. too many players (and many I wouldn't really want to give to my rivals)

2. I've just won the treble (domestic) and if i blood young players through, while I could see the long term potential in this, would the board if I didn't have such a good season?

My aim is for the next to seasons to have established players in my first eleven, with the bench and replacements all to be up and coming players. I'm just not that excited when I bring on the likes on Hleb or Senderos.

Can you guys post some winning Arsenal tactics in here? I only have 2 Arsenal tactics and I'm looking for something new. Or just post the tactics you currently use for Arsenal. :)

Is it better to use a fast/slow tempo for Arsenal? At fast tempo my team scores some of the craziest every goals but with slow tempo there's more consistency..

Sorry, I can't find it, but theincrediblehulk uploaded a tactic which got the team playing like Arsenal IRL, passing it around and doing great.

Also try Kimz tactic, you can find it in the Tactics and Training Forum:)

Thanks for help guys, appreciate it.

I'm about to start my third season. I'd love to bring more youth players through, but that may lead to couple problems.

1. too many players (and many I wouldn't really want to give to my rivals)

2. I've just won the treble (domestic) and if i blood young players through, while I could see the long term potential in this, would the board if I didn't have such a good season?

My aim is for the next to seasons to have established players in my first eleven, with the bench and replacements all to be up and coming players. I'm just not that excited when I bring on the likes on Hleb or Senderos.

About two, you're right. The board don't see when you try to bring through young players, which is why Arsene Wenger normally goes after a season or so.

But I played a season a bit a go with mainly youth players(I used Murphy, Wijnaldum, Nordtveit, Lansbury, Hoyte(G) loads), and I did fine.

Use them as backup and subs, but make sure you always have a more experienced player just in case:)

If you post your squad we can tell you who to sell if you like, so you can bring in more youth players.

ok. first choice eleven for most of last (2nd) season has been:

gk - Akinfeev

dc - gallas

dc - toure

dr/wbr - alves

dl/wbl - clichy

dmc - denilson

mc - rosicky

mc - fabregas

amc - van der vaart

fc - adebayor

fc - van persie

As back up, the players mostly involved have been:

gk - Enyeama (Fabianski been out on loan)

dc - kompany, senderos (now transfer listed)

lb - traore

rb - no one really, got cassani coming in on free as back up, also looking at angulo for the future

dmc/mc/amc - gilberto, flamini, hleb

fc - aguero, walcott, eduardo (bendtner out on loan but is getting better all the time)

Younger players and other reserves I'm pretty close to what i started with. My top youngeters that I'm considering using next season are Vela and kroos, but as you can see i already have plenty of cover in their respective positions.

As you can see I'm pretty well covered in all areas. The players I was thinking of off-loading were hleb, senderos and eduardo. Van persie was crying about leaving, but he is happy again now and was Premier League top scorer last year. I think I'm maybe two players heavy in attack, and am thinking maybe more cover in midfield, in particular a defensive midfielder. Maybe Banega?

I still have Djourou, he has been out on loan too. Sagna I was happy rotating with Alves. He had a great first season, and to be honest I was really annoyed with myself for buying Alves as it wasn't really necessary - I just got carried away with all the money! I got a decent offer from Inter for him, and thought he might get unhappy soon, and alves was playing well.

oops, one thing I forgot to ask. one of my youth coaches is retiring, David Court. i thought I'd have to bring in another, but there are another three youth coaches already in place. So should I still replace him, or maybe bring i another kind of coach? The board recommends ten coaches, and when he retires that'll mean I have nine.

Sorry, I can't find it, but theincrediblehulk uploaded a tactic which got the team playing like Arsenal IRL, passing it around and doing great.

Also try Kimz tactic, you can find it in the Tactics and Training Forum:)

I've tried loads of tactics and I had my own Arsenal tactic last year with Arsenal when I won something like 30 trophies upto 2020 or something, I just want something fresh, I'll check out theincrediblehulk's tactic.

oops, one thing I forgot to ask. one of my youth coaches is retiring, David Court. i thought I'd have to bring in another, but there are another three youth coaches already in place. So should I still replace him, or maybe bring i another kind of coach? The board recommends ten coaches, and when he retires that'll mean I have nine.

Could you post a SS of your staff please, so we can see where you need to change it around?

After about a week I have finally managed to get back on my Arsenal save. Work and the 2 Man United matches against West Brom and Celtic have prevented me from doing so, but at last I am back! Here is an update from the end of my last season, for those of you with short memories and need a refresher!

The summer transfer window has been completed, and I am about to embark on this seasons Champions League campaign, with our first game against Fenerbahce on September 21st.

Transfer Activity

There has been quite alo of transfer activty this summer, and once again we have brought in more money than we have spent. Most of that though came from the sale of one player.

Players Out;

Nicklas Bendtner - £25million plus 50% sell-on fee and £37.5million buy-back price - Real Madrid

Pedro (SPA) - £6million - Preston

Mark Randall - £3million - Derby

Nacer Barazite - £2.5million plus 35% sell-on fee - Celta Vigo

Jame Tomkins - £2million - Reading

Gavin Hoyte - £500k plus 50% sell-on fee - Bristol City

Cedric Evina - £500k plus 50% sell-on fee - Scunthorpe

Craig Eastmond - £350k - Millwall

Wojciech Szczesny - £350k - Northampton

Emmanuel Frimpong - £250k plus 50% sell-on fee - Leicester

Jay-Emmanuel Thomas - £210k plus 50% sell-on fee - Doncaster

Gilles Sunu - £140k plus 50% sell-on fee - Doncaster

Paul Guild (Regen) - £100k plus 50% sell-on fee - Preston

Christian Abbiati - Released

As stated in previous posts, Nicklas BEndtner was often getting injured, and then became unhappy when I failed to accept a previous bid from Madrid. He will return in the future.

All the other player sale were down to them either not developing enough, or me just never seeing a time when they would break into the first team. I got some good deals for them, and it's not that big of a loss.

Christian Abbiati was a great player for the 18 months he spent at the club, but after the arrival of a new goalkeeper he was no longer needed.

)3 other youth/reserve team players were released)

Players In;

Francisco Ochoa - £7.75million - Sevilla

Douglas Costa - £6.75million - Benfica

Total; £14.5million

Ochoa will of course come straight in as my first choice keeper.

And Douglas Costa is a young player who has great potential. He adds to my huge options in midfield, but has got years to go in his career and seen as he has signed as a "hot prospect" there is no rush to throw him into the first team.

I have also brought in 8 regens, totalling £2million.

Loans Out;

Benoit Costil - Bolton (Season)

Vito Mannone - Burnley (3 months)

Vincent Acapandie - Plymouth (Season)

Jose Andrade - Salamanca (Season)

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers;

1.Francisco Ochoa

21.Lukasz Fabianski

Defenders;

3.Bakary Sagna

5.Kolo Toure (Captain)

6.Habib Bellaid

20.Johan Djourou

22.Gael Clichy

27.Emmanuel Eboue

30.Armand Traore

Midfielders;

4.Cesc Fabregas (Vice-captain)

8.Samir Nasri

10.Douglas Costa

15.Denilson

16.Aaron Ramsey

17.Sergi Busqets

18.Luka Modric

Attacking Midfielders/Forwards;

9.Eduardo da Silva

11.Robin van Persie

12.Carlos Vela

14.Theo Walcott

Strikers;

7.Alex Pato

25.Emmanuel Adebayor

Reserves/Youngsters;

19.Jack Wilshere (Part of first team)

23.Younousse Sankhare (Part of first team)

28.Kyle Bartley (Part of first team)

29.John Bostock

31.Mamadou Sakho (Part of first team)

34.Havard Nordveit (Part of first team)

35.Francis Coquelin

36.Rhys Murphy

42.Henri Lansbury (Part of first team)

43.David Scasny

45.Alessio Navarra

51.Sofiane Le Bihan

The Season So Far

Premiership

After six leagues we have won five and drawn one. We currently sit top of the table, two points clear of Man City. Goals though haven't been flowing, (only 10 so far), but hopefully once we get Adebayor and Eduardo fully fit the goals will come.

West Brom (H) 2-0 (Alex Pato; Vela)

Sunderland (A) 1-0 (Eboue)

Liverpool (H) 2-1 (van Persie; Alex Pato)

Fulham (A) 1-0 (Vela)

Man United (H) 3-1 (Bellaid; van Persie; Alex Pato)

Portsmouth (A) 1-1 (van Persie)

League Table So Far

Other Competitions

After winning the league and FA Cup last season, we met the side that finished in the Premiership last season, Manchester United. It was the third year in a row that we had met, and for the second time we took the trophy. A 2-1 win was secured thanks to goals from Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie.

Community Shield

After winning last seasons Champions League we also contested the European Super Cup. We faced Juventus, and we took the lead early on therough Alex Pato, but late on Cristian Zaccardo equalised. Extra time drifted by, and it went to penalties. We won 3-0, and Francisco Ochoa was our hero, saving all three of Juve's spot kicks.

European Super Cup

For the first time in my reign as Arsenal manager, we did not have to pre qualify for the Champions league. The group stage has been made, and we have been handed what could be a tough group.

Arsenal

Olympique Lyonnaise

Fenerbahce

CSKA Moscow

Difficult away trips are on the way, but qualification should still be comfortable enough.

And finally the draw for the 3rd round of the Carling Cup has been made, and my side face a home game against the Premiership's bottom club, Derby County.

--------------------------------------------

Thanks for taking the time to read, any comments/suggestions are more than welcome. And I'll be happy to upload screen shots if you want any.

Now it's off to Old Trafford I go to see United beat West Ham!

neilb242

Your first team squad is great. If you want to bring up youngsters you have got to play them. To do that you have to free up some space in your squad. Luckily the best Arsenal youngsters are central midfielders so you can play them a lot in place of Rosicky and Fabregas. Sell Hleb as you cannot play him in his natural position. Sell gilberto and gallas as they are old. Keep Flamini as back-up to Denilson. Keep hold of Wilshere and Lansbury. If you need SS just ask me but trust me they become fabulous. Merida and Nordveit also performed well for me. Walcott plays best as MR but you dont have that position in your tactic. Although after selling him to Chelsea he is doing well there as a striker too.

Good Luck.:)

Dazzler1992

Good Luck on your new tactic. If you have any success with it to share on the forums.:)

tomtuck01

Nice team. Great sales. Not better than me though ;). But how the hell did you get 6m for Pedro :eek: . All the best.

Thanks Soli, the tactic is doing well atm. Just beat Man utd 4-3 away from home and now Man city!?!? are top of the table. If i get some luck I could just nick the league. I might post the tactic at the end of the season but everyone is doing so well that they won't even need it.

Also had a successful tutoring session for Landsbury with Kallstrom. He has taught him all his preferred moves, which are quite good.

Silva is better than Matias on the left wing but Matias is one of those players who are very versatile. He can easily cover all your midfield positions and can even play as a striker. And yes he is a whole lot cheaper. Unless you are creating the best team one can assemble, I would say go for Matias.

Quick question Silva or Matias Fernandez season 2. Ive got a feeling ill have to sell to get silva which is something i could do, but Fernandez would be a cheaper option, is he going to be just as good. Cheers

If you're playing him ML, then Silva. Infact, Silva for anywhere.

If you have to replace Silva with Fernandez then you'll miss Silva, but Fernandez will do great.

Archived