Is This A New Feature in FM?

Whereby if you bring in a lot of new signings(largely foreign) you will struggle more with performances and results that season as they need a lot of time to settle?

If so i'm happy enough with that, a heads up wouldn't have gone amiss, but if its part of the game then it does make a lot of sense.

It would also explain my calamitous 2nd season with West Ham after finishing 5th first season.

Maybe a "Gel Meter" for each signing similar to the tactic gelling meter would be an idea?

I don't think it is a new feature. I also think there is a 'heads up' in the game, it is one of the 'hints and tips' than comes up when the game is processing and saving, and has been for at least a year or two

Also, although I am not sure on this, I think the tactical gelling meter takes into account the lack of familarity new signings have, i.e. mine goes down each summer.

I suppose it depends on who you have been signing. If you've signed people who don't have English as a fluent or basic language, or if you've signed people from a different continent with low adaptability (hidden) ratings it can have an adverse effect. To be honest, I have struggled on previous versions of FM to get my team to gel when I have signed a load of foreign players. The key is to stay patient, don't keep adjusting your tactics and accept the fact that, for one season at least, you're not going to perform as well as maybe you'd like. I usually noticed a much better performance the following season when my new players picked up the language and had time to settle in the country.

Noel I agree completely, except I would say in some cases I notice improvements 10-15 games into the season, doesn't always take me a year. Of course this will be affected by how many new players there are and just how 'foreign' in terms or style they are, I am just writing to point out the prognosis is not always as bad as 1 season.

If this has been a feature on previous FM's fair enough, but its the first time its ever affected me in such a way.(if thats what is going on of course?)

It is not a new feature, but with the previous ME it was far less relevant as playing as a team and cohesion with tactics was irrelevant as you could just exploit the ME and win anyway. With the new ME, it is far more important to have a structured tactic and play as a team, and so a large amount of new signings, especially with different languages, makes it much harder to gel quickly.

Im playing as man Utd and in my first season i keep being told ashley young is having serious problems blending in which seems very strange to me.

I think that's more of a personality issue. Like having an unambitious player in an ambitious squad.

I bought Neymar and Gotze for Barca. Crazy i know but i see Gotze as a long term replacement for Xavi and Neymar is well Neymar. During the match i often see "Gotze is struggling to communicate due to the language barrier" and "Neymar is stuggling to blend in" seems weird the Neymar one inparticular as my tactics should suit his style to a tee.

I bought Neymar and Gotze for Barca. Crazy i know but i see Gotze as a long term replacement for Xavi and Neymar is well Neymar. During the match i often see "Gotze is struggling to communicate due to the language barrier" and "Neymar is stuggling to blend in" seems weird the Neymar one inparticular as my tactics should suit his style to a tee.

He might suit your tactics but he might not suit your squad's personality, they might be 'determined' and he might be 'ambitious' or something so will take a bit longer to fit in and gel.

This "feature" has been in FM for years. There are many factors which will decide how well a player will blend into the team such as; personality and language. Also if a player is at the same club as someone in their 'favored personnel' then it helps them settle/ blend in to the team.

I think that's more of a personality issue. Like having an unambitious player in an ambitious squad.

I think you're probably right however im not sure if it should be the case, after all its his second season there and I've not heard anything about him having problems settling IRL.

Archived