Playing as PSG.

Hi guys I haven't been on here for quite a while or played the game due to personal issues.

But I'm back now and after a break from the game I'm playing it again as PSG.

now you guys know of my old threads on me struggling on fm12 and having success on other versions but not so much on this. I have come to accept I played differently then and it doesn't work on fm12. I don't think I'm great or anything but I have enjoyed the game over the years.

But now I have played 2 games in the French league drew one and lost one. My team is struggling and morale is down. I made three tactics, each a little different and they are not helping.

I'm getting frustrated again, its such an in depth game it kinda drives me crazy. I'm no football expert but I love watching it and I know some stuff about it.

Any advice.

First things first, the players make take a while to adjust to the tactics.

They may also have problems gelling with themselves. If this is the case, I syggest setting match preparation to High and Special Focus to TeamWork.

As for morale you could try hosting a Team Meeting, although I am not knowledgeable in this matter.

Another reason could be because of your in-game reputation as a manager. If it is low, players may find it hard to motivate themselves.

As ever, it may be a bad patch and in 2-3 games you could get back to winning ways.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: You could rework your tactics, to suit your team's strengths and weaknesses.

Tactics is mostly the probable but not always the case,to raise morale you could set friendlies against your reserves or cannon fodder teams where should win by several goals.

If you want to see if its your tactics download one similar to yours and see what differences there is to yours and adjust,dont neccessary copy but it helps roughly where you might be going wrong.

Thanks for the help.

I never have downloaded tactics as I like o everything myself lol. It seems like cheating to me.

I got a lot of attacking players, so I'm using 41212 and 4411.

Might adjust my team instructions and tinker with another formation.

thats what i was saying dont copy it because some people see it the same way you do cheating or i want to play it my way but if somethings going wrong you have to do things different,morale can kill your tactics even if your tactics are very good.

Team meetings,easy friendlies or adjust tactics

Don't you think you ought to play more than two games (as stated in the OP) before you become frustrated? Are you one of these people who go to a game and if they aren't winning in the first five minutes you start the sack the board/manager/players chant?

Give it time, results will come. This isn't a game where you win every game from day one, it that's what you want then I suggest you're playing the wrong game

Don't you think you ought to play more than two games (as stated in the OP) before you become frustrated? Are you one of these people who go to a game and if they aren't winning in the first five minutes you start the sack the board/manager/players chant?

Give it time, results will come. This isn't a game where you win every game from day one, it that's what you want then I suggest you're playing the wrong game

I understand that mate. I know you cant win all games.

But tinkering with tactics and formations and still losing does get frustrating.

So when you guys are winning and are on good form do you change formation whether playing home nd away.

I only ever change the formation if my team is on a run of losses. But for years I only stick to one formation, I don't like changing it often.

What about you guys,

So when you guys are winning and are on good form do you change formation whether playing home nd away.

I only ever change the formation if my team is on a run of losses. But for years I only stick to one formation, I don't like changing it often.

What about you guys,

I change formations all the time depending on opponents and a future opponent, i regular play with 4 formations one of which is mine and the other 3 are downloaded ones.

@omaroo, first you need to analyze the squad depth and identify the key players you will built your tactic around.

Then whatever tactic you choose, you need to find the right balance between defensive and offensive minded players among your midfielders.

It also depends which tactic your opponent has, and some time your own tactic would need to be slightly adjusted ( for example ifthe opponent play with an AMC behind the forwards, I will line up a DMC to mark him )

This is what I have always been careful at in any version of FM I played.

Good luck and enjoy your parisian save.

Make sure you have a solid defense and build from that. Even if you're playing a weak team. You want at least half of your outfield players to be defending at any point, unless you're desperate to score. If you can keep clean sheets, 90 minutes is plenty of time to create the winning goal (and probably a second or more) - if it doesn't happen and you end up 0-0, that's still better than 4-3.

I change formations all the time depending on opponents and a future opponent, i regular play with 4 formations one of which is mine and the other 3 are downloaded ones.

But don't you have if different formations in the 3 tactics you create.

@omaroo, first you need to analyze the squad depth and identify the key players you will built your tactic around.

Then whatever tactic you choose, you need to find the right balance between defensive and offensive minded players among your midfielders.

It also depends which tactic your opponent has, and some time your own tactic would need to be slightly adjusted ( for example ifthe opponent play with an AMC behind the forwards, I will line up a DMC to mark him )

This is what I have always been careful at in any version of FM I played.

Good luck and enjoy your parisian save.

That's what I try to do, get a formation which suits my best players and adjust the instructions appropriately, but doesn't work.

Thing is when looking at opposition tactics and what formation they use I just play my own, because I'm unsure as what the best formation would be against them

Usually my marking is man marking, so not sure about single player one.

I've found with PSG, that in the early days, you must play all the players in their strongest position and with their best role. Pump up their tyres a bit too, tell them how good you think they are. Oh, and play Pastore at CM with Advanced Playmaker.

That's what I try to do, get a formation which suits my best players and adjust the instructions appropriately, but doesn't work.

Thing is when looking at opposition tactics and what formation they use I just play my own, because I'm unsure as what the best formation would be against them

Usually my marking is man marking, so not sure about single player one.

Give us your main starting 11, we may be able to give you some tips. Alternatively you may seek for further help in the Tactics section at http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/18-Tactics-amp-Training-Discussion

I do not personally think 4411 suits PSG a lot, since I find it more defensive than offensive, depends what roles you are giving to your players though. Normally they are the better team, so I would go more offensive. Maybe a 41221 or a 4231 to get the best out of your Inside Forwards.

I've found with PSG, that in the early days, you must play all the players in their strongest position and with their best role. Pump up their tyres a bit too, tell them how good you think they are. Oh, and play Pastore at CM with Advanced Playmaker.

I usually play pastore as AMC and as an advanced player maker. Seems the best for him.

Don't you score a lot of goals and win matches with that formation.

Seems a bit like cheating lol.

4-1-2-2-1 - or 4-3-3/4-5-1 - is a pretty standard formation, you'll see top clubs in real life using it as much as 4-4-2, depending on what's fashionable in any particular country. If you just set it up with the tactics creator and assign sensible roles, you won't be exploiting the match engine, but you will have a balanced formation that is useful both defensively and offensively, and doesn't have any serious weaknesses.

don't swap and change tactics all the time fella.. it will unsettle players and morale will drop.. be careful how you handle morale too..

and dont swap players too much either...

let them gel.. let them get used to a nice simple tactic..

with a team like psg you can win the league with the default 442 frankly...

don't swap and change tactics all the time fella.. it will unsettle players and morale will drop.. be careful how you handle morale too..

and dont swap players too much either...

let them gel.. let them get used to a nice simple tactic..

with a team like psg you can win the league with the default 442 frankly...

The players i have won't be suited for the 442 formation tbh.

I want to know do you guys always change formations whether home or away, whether against a small or big team even if one formation is continually getting you wins.

I mostly stuff with one formation in previous versions as I was winning, but now I don't know what exactly do do.

Surely changing formations and tactics causes more harm than good doesn't it.

I basically have 3 formations that I use mostly, a 41221, a 4411 and a 4312. BTW I am managing Southampton at the moment, so mostly underdog.

I use the 4312 as my basic tactic, especially against most 442 formations, becuase in England, that is what most teams use. Then if there is a team that is playing a 4231, like Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, I use the 41221 with Zonal marking, and lots of closing down, and if I am playing against a top team away, such as Man U, Tottenham, etc I use the 4411 which is basically very defensive, and lots of counter attacking.

I try to keep the same formation as much as possible, and only change pairs of players. Such as I have 4 CD's, but when I change, I change both of them, so that they will always play together. Same goes for my 2 CM's, and the 3 upfront. i do not know if this really effects the game, but I like to have the same players gelling together as much as I can, barring injuries.

You also have to talk to the players a lot, critisize, praise, Team Meetings, and basically check that they are happy with the whole atmosphere.

However I almost always take a lower rated team, I like being underdog. I tried Ajax once, and got sacked!

Hi guys I haven't been on here for quite a while or played the game due to personal issues.

But I'm back now and after a break from the game I'm playing it again as PSG.

now you guys know of my old threads on me struggling on fm12 and having success on other versions but not so much on this. I have come to accept I played differently then and it doesn't work on fm12. I don't think I'm great or anything but I have enjoyed the game over the years.

But now I have played 2 games in the French league drew one and lost one. My team is struggling and morale is down. I made three tactics, each a little different and they are not helping.

I'm getting frustrated again, its such an in depth game it kinda drives me crazy. I'm no football expert but I love watching it and I know some stuff about it.

Any advice.

To be honest I don't have as much time to get into everything with Football Manager this year so I'm looking forward to football manager classic. Over the past few years I have created my own version of classic by cheating a tad.

What I do is max out my assistant manager (in the editor) and get him to assist me as much as possible, look at all his reports, get all his teamtalk feedback etc. etc.

Then generally I set up a couple of formations, one is the general formation that I want the team to play, the one I want to attack with and will use in most games where I am equal or better to the teams I am playing. It will have a general style that of nice attacking possession football, the actual formation will depend on the players I have but I lean to 3 in the middle. The second formation will be my underdog formation, it will be more defensive and counter attacking and is used for away games against the likes of Man Utd. I then fiddle with a few things during games and for different matches like team depth (fast striker, and slow defenders sit deeper) and width, man marking etc in response to what team I am playing.

At the start of the season, especially if you have brought new players in make sure your match preparation is high, and get teamwork on. Get those players to gel and work well together. Also keep an eye on your assistant manager feedback, it will say things about whether players are having trouble blending in, about how they are adjusting to your formation, i.e it might say "Rickie Lambert looks like he is used to playing at a higher tempo". If these things don't go away over time you might want to think either changing the player or your tactics.

I also find that pretty much every season I start the first 5 or 6 games don't go brilliantly because of these blend/new team issues but then it gets better.

Hope that helps, I'm not the greatest FM player as I just don't have the time but the AM trick might help you and I generally manage to exceed the expectations of whatever club I'm at without spending hours and hours looking at every tactic and game. (I also barely watch games, towards the end of the season I am probably on commentary only)

I usually play same formation as opposition so is that making my team more vulnerable then.

Well if you have better players which I presume at PSG you should just out ability them, depends how you are they are set up though. I would imagine most clubs in France would look to play quite cautiously and on the break against PSG so you might want to alter your formation to find gaps in theirs to break it down more easily, or if you are clear favourites you could just overload them and starve them of the ball.

I noticed that they don't respect you for the first few months of the season unless you hit international footballer as your past experience but i never use that so i'm not too sure.

you have to start well then you will be ok, if you don't kiss goodbye to that title first season unless you can make a massive turnaround from november till the end of the season

• 3 weeks later...

Well what a season I had, was struggling and was in the relgation zone for a while bit gradually started winning, But this season was up and down for me. But the title race was a 4 horse race, and I can believe it but my team won the league on the last day.

This possibly has the be my best league win on any FM game I have played seeing as how I was struggling. Wow.

Archived