Chinese League

Ive been playing in the MLS and I find it very hard to attract big names on the decline to the States. For example should a player similar to Robbie keane come up who is 30yrs + but with a good rep he wouldnt even slightly consider a move to the states unless he has sat with out a club for a very sustained amount of time.

Players just do not move like Cahill to USA and Drogba etc...However it must be very very tricky for FM to balance. If they tweaked it people would prob complain that so & so are moving to big pay day clubs way earlier than they should etc....

Yeah something has gotta be done tbh. I think IRL personality traits determine a player willing to make such a move. Perhaps more elements to a city need to be implemented in order to attract players. I mean in the game you have New York rated as 20 attractiveness and somewhere else rated as 20 but it doesn't capture the difference in cities. I mean a player with low professionalism and ambition might be attracted to somewhere because of the party lifestyle.

I know its hard to do but they need to think of something.

Ive been playing in the MLS and I find it very hard to attract big names on the decline to the States. For example should a player similar to Robbie keane come up who is 30yrs + but with a good rep he wouldnt even slightly consider a move to the states unless he has sat with out a club for a very sustained amount of time.

Players just do not move like Cahill to USA and Drogba etc...However it must be very very tricky for FM to balance. If they tweaked it people would prob complain that so & so are moving to big pay day clubs way earlier than they should etc....

I don't know about that, seen a few solid DPs come to the MLS in my saves. Usually to the bigger clubs like LAG and NYRBs. Was gobsmacked when in one save NY signed Chamakh from Arsenal only a year into the game, they later sold him 4 seasons later at a profit.

Fair do's maybe ive been unfair as im only a year in my MLS save. Won the MLS Supporters Shield, MLS & US open cup + finished first in my group of Champs league and struggling to attract any big names. Biggest names ive managed to attract after 1 year in MLS and all that success is......(drum roll)

Glen Whelan from Stoke lol who is in the reserves on my save and worth 1.8m

Michael Owen who is doing what he does best other than being injured and thats sitting in the reserves at Man utd. Hes transfer listed at 500k.

Whelan agreed terms but I was diddled when Wolves came in for him and he choose them over me.

Owen agreed terms to be a DP at 40K a week. Its only a 1 year deal and my Seattle team finacially is in a good state. But as we all know Owen is VERY injury prone. Now to make way for him Id be getting rid of one of my DPs who id only be getting rid of because hes 30 years old and been injury prone. Now bringing Owen in who is most likely even more injury prone does not represent good business. Owens experience would be good for the club as Crespo has been for me this past season and his rep though could hugely aid the club business wise. Gotta way up what to do. May cancel the deal and try wait and see if anyone else quality is about.

Yeah id agree there. The slightly flawed system of what a players current rep is prevents this. If league A is a certain Rep or the Player has a specific rep he wont even consider a move there. It be nice to see that some players when they get to a certain will consider moves to teams where they offer stupid money like China and the Gulf.

1 thing I will say is if a player flat out refuses to discuss terms with you sometimes I may take months but they do often suddenly decide to discuss with you.

Example is German Defender A.Friedrich (not at my laptop so possible incorrect spelling, dont flame me!). When I first took over Seattle in the MLS I took a look at what free transfers there were. He stood out as despite being over 30yrs old was still a good talent and would easily be one of the best defenders in the MLS. He wouldnt even talk to me about any terms. I thought oh well and played on. Noticed he still didnt have a club a few months later and still no change. Wouldnt talk to me. Then I noticed another few months later and went in an offered him a contract and bizarelly he only wanted £500 a week! Also he didnt want to be a DP so thats a massive bonus! Signed him immediately. In his declining years but at £500 a week I could not refuse getting someone who was easily better than any other defenders around the MLS.

Crespo was another for me. When first starting a MLS save noticed he was on a free and thought he could offer some experience while still being a fairly decent player that I could get atleast 1 season out of. He wanted to be a DP and wanted about £4000 a week. I didnt see that as good for the club and pulled out. Only 3 weeks later into pre-season and noticed he didnt have a team still but plenty interested. Went back in for and was shocked when he only wanted £900 a week and didnt want to be a DP either. Did the job too. Mentored a few of the lads and bagged 8 goals from half a season (got injured 2nd part and agreed a deal to go back to argentina at end of the season to finish his career so didnt feature much more.)

Maybe there should be a hidden mental attribute that changes with age, call it 'greed' have another one called 'stability', stability will increase with age (especially 32+) and represent how stable a life he wants. A high Stability score will be a player who wants to move home at the end of his career, if this is coupled with a low-ish 'greed' score, a player may consider moving to a team in the country he is from for a lower wage, eg Bellamy. Flip side of that is the high 'greed' score, coupled with a low 'stability' score (eg a player who will move anywhere for that last payday), which would give the Beckham/Eto'o/Rivaldo/Drogba scenarios.

Maybe there should be a hidden mental attribute that changes with age, call it 'greed' have another one called 'stability', stability will increase with age (especially 32+) and represent how stable a life he wants. A high Stability score will be a player who wants to move home at the end of his career, if this is coupled with a low-ish 'greed' score, a player may consider moving to a team in the country he is from for a lower wage, eg Bellamy. Flip side of that is the high 'greed' score, coupled with a low 'stability' score (eg a player who will move anywhere for that last payday), which would give the Beckham/Eto'o/Rivaldo/Drogba scenarios.

This is a fantastic idea.

The truth is that Chinese clubs are not rich themselves. For example Drogba's wages are equivelent to the entire turnover of the team that signed him. However they are owned by a large company who can bankroll a few high profile signings so maybe it is true that the manager would not be able to spend this money. In these cases perhaps SI could make it so you could apeal to the board for any expensive transfers and the expense would be covered by the clubs owners rather than financially crippling the club itself.

I think in general the "refuse to negotiate" is a really annoying feature of FM. I can't think of any reason why you can't still make an offer. The limitations the club places on the offer you make are still going to stop any utterly ridiculous deals, but you can still try and swing a shock deal like Beckham to LA Galaxy.

Agreed, I think you should be able to appeal to a player's agent when the player refuses to negotiate. Put a proposal to the agent and if it's good enough, he might go to his player and recommend it to him, then the player still has a chance to accept, negotiate further, or still refuse outright. At least then you can feel like you've made your best effort.

some good ideas found here!

basically in real life Tim Cahill has just agreed to move to New York Red Bulls.

If the game was set in the same settings as current real life time Tim Cahill would not even agree to talk to Red Bulls let alone join them. Same with most the DP's like Keane, Becks etc.... unless they were transfer listed and rotting in the reserves even the most minimal of Premier League player wont even talk to a MLS club. Reps of clubs and league just aint high enough. Where as in real life Cahill is past his prime and most likely been offered a large sum of money thats helped make his mind up about jumping to the states.

It be nice if they could implement this into the game. Where a player who maybe is still part of the team he's at actively but past his best may want to explore options at big £ contract clubs like China, Gulf and U.S.A.

That an idea. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread about greed or stability etc....something maybe along those lines.

The whole contract/transfer system is fine to a point. But its simply based on players rep/happiness to club stature/league placing/rep. If one is too high or low etc....the player wont even consider it.

Which is fine if its Norwich City trying to sign Lionel Messi.....but the system needs looking at in respect of say someone like Tim Cahill who has just moved from Everton to New York Red Bulls. On FM he simply would not consider it right now unless he was A:Even Older than he is now. B:was transfer listed. C:His CA was alot lower and he was alot more out of the Everton First team picture. D:The MLS for example had a much higher Rep than it does.

Clubs should be able to have more influence on those kind of players (Cahill, Becks, Keane, etc...over 30's). Might be hard to implement but certainly possible.

Post this in the Wishlist thread as it is a great idea and would really add some realism!

some good ideas found here!

basically in real life Tim Cahill has just agreed to move to New York Red Bulls.

If the game was set in the same settings as current real life time Tim Cahill would not even agree to talk to Red Bulls let alone join them. Same with most the DP's like Keane, Becks etc.... unless they were transfer listed and rotting in the reserves even the most minimal of Premier League player wont even talk to a MLS club. Reps of clubs and league just aint high enough. Where as in real life Cahill is past his prime and most likely been offered a large sum of money thats helped make his mind up about jumping to the states.

It be nice if they could implement this into the game. Where a player who maybe is still part of the team he's at actively but past his best may want to explore options at big £ contract clubs like China, Gulf and U.S.A.

The location plays a big part as well. Cahill went to the USA for the money and the lifestyle. Places like New York and L.A. are appealing to many people.

I'm not sure how MLS ties so much into this, but I'm currently in 2018 and have personally had Kaka (worldclass rep) sign with my Toronto FC squad (Real offered him to me for less than $6 million, he spent about six months with me before Liverpool offered almost $15million for him) along with Coutinho (who I just sold) as well as players like Adebayor and Robinho come into the league with the likes of Houston and D.C. United, whereas Los Angeles has brought Aquilani and Modibo Maiga. Currently, I could sign Gary Cahill, Mario Gomez or Daniel Sturridge if I wanted, but none of them seem worth the money (nor do they seem to be significant improvements over my current players.)

Does giving a higher rep in the Editor prior to starting a new game help to "correct" this problem? For example giving a higher rep to the chinese and MLS league as well as Gulf leagues

Tricky though. As if you improve the rep of those leagues you dont want the case where top quality players end up going there in there early 20s etc....

I'm not sure how MLS ties so much into this, but I'm currently in 2018 and have personally had Kaka (worldclass rep) sign with my Toronto FC squad (Real offered him to me for less than $6 million, he spent about six months with me before Liverpool offered almost $15million for him) along with Coutinho (who I just sold) as well as players like Adebayor and Robinho come into the league with the likes of Houston and D.C. United, whereas Los Angeles has brought Aquilani and Modibo Maiga. Currently, I could sign Gary Cahill, Mario Gomez or Daniel Sturridge if I wanted, but none of them seem worth the money (nor do they seem to be significant improvements over my current players.)

What year are you in and has the club rep improved hugely over the years?

As ive never found anyone who could sign any of those players unless there either been transfer listed a long while at there clubs or been on a free for ages (Sturridge for example on mine previously).

You can get the Kaka's etc...once there past there prime (and usually transfer listed) but not while there in the prime etc...At least nobody ive ever spoken to have had success with this.

Archived