Ri916's FM 12 Youth Academy Challenge!

First off, well done TM on gaining promotion! :applause:

Secondly, a quick update on my challenge....

In the league, we're going very well, currently 4th after 17 games (5 points behind the leaders), and a reasonable goal difference. However, the teams does tend to press the self destruct button in the easy game.

In the FA Cup, Bedfont Town were despatched in Q2, with Farnborough beaten in Q3. However, Oxford City turned us over in Q4. That annoyed me even more when I saw the draw for the 1st round. it was Waltham Forest (who?) v Oxford City, with the winners of the replay getting Kidderminster in the 2nd round. Missed out on a good cup run, and more importantly, quite a bit of prize money :mad:

The FAT has been kind to us, as we have been drawn at home to Frome in Q3, so hopefully a nice easy passage into the first round (unless the team presses that big red button again).

Junior Coaching wise, it's now average! :cool: (mind you, hosting 3 preseason friendly cups helped the bank balance a lot, so perhaps that help persuade the board.)

EDIT :: I'm rushing through the game, as my form dropped off (holiday mode Jan 10th - March 12th), so I've just got my youth intake through :eek: Loads of potential!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avramski- Why did you go on holiday if you were 4th? I'd also like to add that holidaying is allowed, but i'd prefer it if people didnt do it as it isnt really in the spirit of the challenge. I apologise for not making this clear earlier and dont blame you for doing it, I get really excited about my intake to ;)

First off, well done TM on gaining promotion! :applause:

Secondly, a quick update on my challenge....

In the league, we're going very well, currently 4th after 17 games (5 points behind the leaders), and a reasonable goal difference. However, the teams does tend to press the self destruct button in the easy game.

In the FA Cup, Bedfont Town were despatched in Q2, with Farnborough beaten in Q3. However, Oxford City turned us over in Q4. That annoyed me even more when I saw the draw for the 1st round. it was Waltham Forest (who?) v Oxford City, with the winners of the replay getting Kidderminster in the 2nd round. Missed out on a good cup run, and more importantly, quite a bit of prize money :mad:

The FAT has been kind to us, as we have been drawn at home to Frome in Q3, so hopefully a nice easy passage into the first round (unless the team presses that big red button again).

Junior Coaching wise, it's now average! (mind you, hosting 3 preseason friendly cups helped the bank balance a lot, so perhaps that help persuade the board.)

EDIT :: I'm rushing through the game, as my form dropped off (holiday mode Jan 10th - March 12th), so I've just got my youth intake through Loads of potential!

Looks like your doing great :) You should carry on playing the games! :) Sounds good about the youth, lets have a screenshot so we can see.

Just a curious question from me...

How do you play your game?

The reason I ask is because i've spoken to someone about this already and they part that made me curious was because he only watches the text during a match on full speed, meaning a match only takes like a minute or something.

I basically play all my games and watch the actual match itself. This way I can make tactical changes which you wouldn't be able to do just watching text. You can see who's playing good and who isn't. I know you might think "well the match ratings tell you what you need to know..." but i disagree. My striker could be getting loads of chances and building up a match rating, but he might be missing them all, so i'd probably replace him, but you wouldn't know that unless you watched the match.

I also do my own training schedules and keep an eye on player progress etc...

[Edit] I also think playing it the way I do brings more success in results.

I play commentary only, on full speed! this is because it would take me forever to complete a season otherwise. I keep an eye on player progress and only change the training if i have a young player with loads of potential. I always do individual focuses though.

I go through phases TM. If I'm enjoying the game I like to watch as much of the game as possible and I'll agree that it does give better results imo. However, If I can't be bothered or want to rush through it'll be text only, full whack and it takes me about 5 minutes to complete the match.

I doubt having parent clubs will help the youth you produce as your recruitment will be to low to get foriegn players coming through. Personally I wouldnt bother having one as they arent really worth it for 10k a year. they are allowed but i wouldnt bother getting one as you are not allowed to use players they loan to you.

End Of Season Report

A long and difficult season, with the usual up's and down's! I must say, probably my favourite season in a save since I started playing in 2007. In the past i've been used to winning and I do consider myself pretty good at the game (trying not to be big headed), but this is where all the fun starts and will test how good I actually am.

The reason I enjoyed this save so much so far, is because i've not been winning every game, i've not got far in the cup competitions, as strange as that sounds! I actually like losing, because it shows that i've got a challenge in front of me and the fact that I managed promotion throught the play-offs, I feel i've achieved something :) Anyway, on to the important stuff!

Chester...

It was a real challenge for me, as we were predicted 8th and the board would surely not tolerate anything lower! I was impressed with the fact that Chester were a Professional club and the stage was set for a long and hopefully successfull season! Here are a few screenshots...

Chester - The Squad That Won Us Promotion

Chester Transfers - The Proof Of No Disception!

Chester - Club Finances Overall

Chester - Club Finances Income

Chester - Club Finances Expenditure

Chester - The Man Of The Moment! Gary Beckford YP01!

Blue Sqaure Bet North...

A fantastic season which saw us takes first place at one point, 5 points clear and then drop down into 5th due to a massive slump in form! I thought it was all over at one point, but Gary Beckford YP01 came in and steadied the ship! I also believe part of the reason we managed to bring the winning ways back was due to sending several players at a time on holiday, to regain their fitness back. Here are a few screenshots...

Blue Square Bet North League Table

Blue Square Bet North Player Stats

Chester Fixtures - The Slump In Form That Nearly Cost Us!

Chester Vs Darlington - The Match That Won Us Promotion!

FA Cup...

This was probably a waste of time, because we were never going to get far. We drew Southport in the draw and I thought, yeah we might be able to get a result...

(H) Chester 2 - 2 Southport - They scored in the 89th minute to salvage the draw, which really annoyed me.

(A) Replay: Southport 2 - 0 Chester - They totally outplayed us and we probably should have had a much heavier defeat.

That was the end of the cup on the first hurdle!

FA Trophy...

I had high hopes in this cup and thought we may be able to get far, especially with seeing our league form, which was very good at that point...

3QR (H) Chester 2 - 1 Hednesford

1R (A) Kidsgrove 0 - 0 Chester

1R (H) Replay: Chester 2 - 1 Kidsgrove (AET)

From this point, our form went right out of the window! But it wasn't over in the cup yet!

2R (H) Chester 1 - 1 Wrexham

2R (A) Replay: Wrexham 0 - 0 Chester (W Penalties)

Against our major rivals, our only fierce rivals who were in BSP and 1st place, so despite our current form, this was a massive result!

3R (A) AFC Telford 1 - 1 Chester

3R (H) Replay: Chester 1 - 2 AFC Telford

That was the end of our run in the cup and disappointing after beating our rivals from the BSP, then being beaten by a team halfway down our own table!

Verdict: A fantastic season, but wish we could have done better in the FA Cup, it just wasn't to be! Next season will definately be all about survival and I'm fairly confident of a decent finish after our match against Darlington and since Beckford came to the club. We just need another striker to step up and partner him!

Just played my first game away from home and we won 3-1 :). Also, for anyone that would like to see monthly updates, check my thread out in the FMCU :thup:.

Edit: Wes Baynes went off in the first game injured. It turns out he'll be out for about 2 months :(. Luckily I have Dolman and Brownhill who can play there.

Great season TM cant wait to hear how you get on next season. nice to see you back Nottingham Forest and great that the 2 of ye decided to do this file on the career forums where i will be following for sure.

as for my hendon the 3rd season is going much better than the rest of them and just beat a club records of the most games without a loss 6

Avramski- Why did you go on holiday if you were 4th?

I lost 5 on the bounce that dropped me well down the table, so I decided to let my assistant sort out the mess. He's managed to get the team stabalised in 11th, but we're 14 points of 5th with 9 games to go.

TM, I'll post a screeny of my youth intake in my end of season report. Sufficed to say though, I'm pretty happy with the potential there, plus there is not 1, not 2, but 3 players with gold star(s) against their name for CA :eek:

Great season TM cant wait to hear how you get on next season. nice to see you back Nottingham Forest and great that the 2 of ye decided to do this file on the career forums where i will be following for sure.

as for my hendon the 3rd season is going much better than the rest of them and just beat a club records of the most games without a loss 6

Thanks mate, glad to hear your doing much better :) Keep it up!

Some more news from my end as I was offered a new contract, which I negotiated for a 5 year long deal! Glad to put pen to paper on a long term deal :)

I doubt having parent clubs will help the youth you produce as your recruitment will be to low to get foriegn players coming through. Personally I wouldnt bother having one as they arent really worth it for 10k a year. they are allowed but i wouldnt bother getting one as you are not allowed to use players they loan to you.
I was more interested when my scouting was worldwide for a Brazilian link and maybe produce Brazilian youth!

sounds like you guys want to complete 2 challenges at once! this one and the big club, small country one. Yes, I'm surprised how successful it has been to. definately going to be back doing it for fm 13 as well!

I prefer my own Sammarinese link :D I want to know if i can bring the bottom team in Europe right up just through youth development!
I was going to do this but I read the rules and saw that your manager profile has to be realistic!

TM - Congrats, great season. The play-off final must have gotten tense with a goal in 97th minute!

Not going so well for me, still struggling with the team around the middle of the league. No threat of going down but no excitement of going up. But, and this is a big but, I have just had a youth intake which could potentially result in at least play-off places next year.

Youth Intake: Very pleased with it. There were two good players and I couldn't pick between them for who deserved the tag so I gave both of them one. Jamie Humphrey is exactly what I needed. I was lacking a goalkeeper and having him come in may mean that I will not leak as many goals as I have been. Ross Hale YP03, I am very happy with this fella. He is able to play all over the middle of the park and, hopefully, he should be able to supply my striker with some more oppurtunities.

I upgraded my junior coaching a couple of months before this which I think helped a lot.

TWFL- YOU GOT A 5 STAR CA YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check his report and see what league your staff think he has the potential to play in. If it doesnt say then change the staff member until one has an opinion. that has to be the best Youth Intake so far!

I would give Kavanagh a tag as well :)

Hendon 2014/15 - Blue Square South

End of Season Update

League Table : very pleased with this seasons performance, we ground out draws where usually we would of lost

Fa Cup : KO 1st rnd to crawley great campaign

Fa Trophy : KO first round, not worth shouting about

Squad : Will be loosing steven last our best DC and also we will loose our best LB due to not wanting to renew. a few other fringe players on wages will be let go. 9 youth players are in the squad but not all start every game.

Youth Intake : some good players will come through from this intake, esp Rhys Knight YP03

Finances : Still really bad, organised a tonne of friendlies to try and produce some income that helped for a few months. the cup run gave us a good 100k but still managed to loose it all. strange thing is the biggest expenditure is the wages at 10k per month, problem is my gate receipts are awful

And of course TRANSFERS

Next season

Still no junior coaching upgrade due to poor finances. aim is to repeat last season me thinks

I was going to do this but I read the rules and saw that your manager profile has to be realistic!

Well to be fair, nobody could say I'm not Sammarinese, how would you know ;) Secondly, I can't see how being Sammarinese is going to influence anything and thirdly, if Ri decides i've broken the rules, then fair enough, so it's down to him I guess.

TM - Congrats, great season. The play-off final must have gotten tense with a goal in 97th minute!

Not going so well for me, still struggling with the team around the middle of the league. No threat of going down but no excitement of going up. But, and this is a big but, I have just had a youth intake which could potentially result in at least play-off places next year.

Youth Intake: Very pleased with it. There were two good players and I couldn't pick between them for who deserved the tag so I gave both of them one. Jamie Humphrey is exactly what I needed. I was lacking a goalkeeper and having him come in may mean that I will not leak as many goals as I have been. Ross Hale YP03, I am very happy with this fella. He is able to play all over the middle of the park and, hopefully, he should be able to supply my striker with some more oppurtunities.

I upgraded my junior coaching a couple of months before this which I think helped a lot.

That is a pretty epic youth intake! But it happens, i've bought someone as Man Utd before from Crawley who were down in the BSP at the time and he was judged as a future leading premiership star.

Greyham, well done on a good season :)

TWFL- YOU GOT A 5 STAR CA YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check his report and see what league your staff think he has the potential to play in. If it doesnt say then change the staff member until one has an opinion. that has to be the best Youth Intake so far!

I would give Kavanagh a tag as well :)

He's great. By my Ass Man, with 12 jpa and 13 jpp, he's predicted to be League 2 standard. But more exciting is Anthony Freeman YP02, the best from last year, is very highly rated right now and I'm extremely worried that I'm going to lose him.

I'm not sure about Kavanagh yet. I'm going to treat him as a YP see if he improves enough over the year to deserve the sacred tag.

That is a pretty epic youth intake! But it happens, i've bought someone as Man Utd before from Crawley who were down in the BSP at the time and he was judged as a future leading premiership star.

Greyham, well done on a good season :)

That's what I think is going to happen with Anthony Freeman. I can just tell he's going to be great but how great and for who is the worrying part.

That's what I think is going to happen with Anthony Freeman. I can just tell he's going to be great but how great and for who is the worrying part.

The problem we are going to face is, eventually a team bigger than us is going to come calling and there wont be anything we can do about it, except let them leave. But! This does mean money! We may need to sell in order to improve our clubs, improve the facilities etc... So it's not all bad :)

Pre-Season

Pre-season has been a success so far and i'm happy with a few of the results! First off i'll start with my new staff members, introducing my new Assistant Manager, Coach and Physio...

Assistant Manager - Kevin Cooper... This guy was hard to find, i'd looked through all the list nearly for a suitable person for the job, but they all either wanted too much wages or weren't the right person. His attacking stat means we are going to get good training in that area :)

Coach - Ivan Guerra... Not too bad stats and much better than my other coach and the one that left, should do a good job and is very strict which helps.

Physio - Duncan Russell... This guy was initially a Fitness Coach, but I managed to get him to become a Physio and he definately is much better than the one i let go. At first he demanded high wages, but I got him down to a £425 demand. I could only offer £375 and I pushed him to the limit, to a point where he was mad, so I said take it or leave it! Thankfully and to my suprise he accepted!

Next up, the Pre-Season matches. I decided to go with a mix of difficult and financially motivated matches and some easy-ish and easy matches...

(Green Means Win & Red Means Loss)

Chester 3 - 4 Aston Villa

Chester 0 - 2 Cardiff

Chester 4 - 0 Macclesfield

Chester 1 - 0 Hednesford

Chester 1 - 2 Derby

Chester 0 - 1 AFC Telford

Chester 2 - 0 Causeway Utd

Chester 1 - 2 Charleroi

So a pretty average results margin there and I'm pleased to have pushed Aston Villa and Derby to the limit! Hopefully we've gained enough fitness and can go into the season with a victory to start!

The issue we have is, for people like me and TM, we have probably one of the better sides. Not that that is a bad thing because it's not. However those who are having to build and build. Well it could them great. The reason being is, if they can get a 2/3/4 youngsters who are ready for first team football from off, then they can build a side or look at selling them for a profit.

Great to see some good progress in here over the weekend!

Congratulations on your promotion Tactic Master, I'm hoping I can maybe replicate your feat!

I'll be able to play from tomorrow and will hit my youth intake either tonight or in the morning so an update will be on. Really looking forward to it and fingers crossed I'll get some decent lads to back up my very thin squad. We're currently down to 2 substitutions in every match day squad! Luckily the only position that is completely out of players is my defensive minded midfield and deep lying playmaker, in which I decided to play one of my centre backs and my most creative midfielder in replacement respectively.

This is definitely one of my most enjoyable saves on this FM, I can't get enough of it. Got some sort of affinity with a fair few of my players already, in particular my rock at the back David Ray and my long range goal specialist Francis Quarm :)

Greyman- well done on another solid season and some exciting youth prospects. How are you getting through the seasons so quickly?!

thanks ri916, as for progressing quickly im off college since thursday so plenty of time and as i play with just commentary, and off course you dont spend your time buying players. i think according to my status i have played around 30hrs of this file already so around 10hrs for a season i think is reasonable :) thanks for making this challenge lol.

And a little update we have some good news over in hendon as we begin our 4th season. Click HERE for good news

First game of the 15/16 season saw hendon face havant & W

here is the final score Click me

on the right we see the team, the starting 11 saw 6 of my very own youth players start. 4 of the 5 on the bench were also my own youth products seeing 3 come on for sub appearances. really looking forward to see this team grow as a whole.

End of season 2 report ....

Not too bad, but could still do better, is how I would evaluate it. While we finished higher up the league with more points than the previous season, I'm still concerned about the teams ability to hit the self destruct button when in a good position. This wasn't helped by having a run of 4 games where I had a player sent off.

Anyway, March 13th rolled round, and with an increase in my junior coaching being agreed earlier in the season, I was excited to see just how good the youth intake would be. I wasn't disappointed!

Charlie Nurmohamed (report card) was the pick of the youth intake, so for the second year running, a goalkeeper gets the YP tag.

Last but not least, just to prove I'm not cheating .... TRANSFERS

Financially wise, I'm currently sitting on £34,500 in the bank having made a profit of £151k during the season, so I'm in a reasonable position. A couple of friendly tournaments in the preseason should see me set for the year so hopefully, I can get another increase in my junior coaching.

I can see that keeper getting a couple of red cards in his career :(:D.

Hehe. I'll be concentrating his training on a few areas to try and cut down that risk. I'll also be making him my reserve team keeper for a couple of seasons, as I feel he will benefit more from that instead of collecting splinters.

good season avramski! Nice players in the youth intake as well, which may give you a shout at the playoffs next season.

Hope so! As long as the team avoids hitting the self destruct button too often.

Archived