Ri916's FM 12 Youth Academy Challenge!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little update on things from me :)

Youth Recruitment has been upgraded!!! This will be usefull for when March comes round (currently 29th December).

FA Cup, i was kicked out at the first hurdle...

FA Trophy, i'm into the second round, but i've been paired with the best team in the competition, 1st place in the Blue Square Premier (Wrexham)...

League, i'm currently 4 points clear in 1st place...

I could have left everyone behind, but my form has taken a nose dive in recent weeks :( In the last 9 matches, i've won 4 (2 were FA Trophy), drawn 2 (1 was FA Trophy) and lost 3 (All in League). I've lost my last two matches in the league which, if i'd won could have put me 10 points clear!

Overall in the league, 14 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses...

I have managed to get the board to look at giving me a parent club. Mon them finding me someone who's willing to pay £100k a season. Also arranged loads of friendlies, so hopefully, if all goes to plan I could have about £250k by the end of pre-season.

Wouldn't having a parent club maybe contribute to breaking a rule? I'm not 100% sure, but don't they send players to your club sometimes and you have no say over it?

Good to see people doing well :)

I'm three games in. After that first victory we've played extraordinarily but only one point to show for it.

We went 2-0 up against Welling only for them to equalise in injury time. Then we played Kingstonian at home and absolutely battered them but conceded on the counter and lost 1-0.

Nevertheless, morale is still good and performances are promising!

Good to see people doing well :)

I'm three games in. After that first victory we've played extraordinarily but only one point to show for it.

We went 2-0 up against Welling only for them to equalise in injury time. Then we played Kingstonian at home and absolutely battered them but conceded on the counter and lost 1-0.

Nevertheless, morale is still good and performances are promising!

Thats been happening to me recently, just keep going and the results will follow eventually :)

I'm a little bit worried, and already I'm hoping to have 1 game a month postponed ....

The reason? My midfielders are knackered after only 7 games. At least my preseason went well financially. The Micky Mouse Cup (awesome name, I know :p) with Brighton, Birmingham and Bournemouth taking part, plus further home friendlies with Blackburn, Bolton, Barnsley and Brentford saw my bank balance soar to £200k. Now I've got to try and convince the board to increase my junior coaching....

I'm a little bit worried, and already I'm hoping to have 1 game a month postponed ....

The reason? My midfielders are knackered after only 7 games. At least my preseason went well financially. The Micky Mouse Cup (awesome name, I know :p) with Brighton, Birmingham and Bournemouth taking part, plus further home friendlies with Blackburn, Bolton, Barnsley and Brentford saw my bank balance soar to £200k. Now I've got to try and convince the board to increase my junior coaching....

Reduce their training schedules and have more rest time.

Finished Season 1. Will post an update tomorrow. Season on a whole was fine didn't leave the middle third of the table at all but the youth intake I'm very happy with. There's one player who I'm delighted with considering i thought i was going to get a load of rubbish but that's all I'm saying for now.

End of Season Report:

Season 2012/13

Pre-season went alright with the highlight being a 2-1 victory over League 1 side Walsall. We picked up a few injuries in that period and the squad was looking very weak but I couldn't do anything about it so just lowered the training workload and kept going.

League Table: Although the table makes it look like we struggled we didn't really. Never had a threat of relegation and at one point (early in the season after a very good run) we skirted with the play-off places.

Squad: Not a great squad. Lacked depth and quality. The best player by far was Garry Grace who was the playmaker of the team setting up most of our goals. And then just behind him was Wallace who was our only decent CB. Here's the Ass Man's report at the end of the season.

Some of you may have spotted the name Anthony Freeman YP02. This is the guy who stood out in the intake.

Youth Intake: Of course Anthony Freeman was by far the best player on show there. But the ones to look out for in the future are Simon Kidd and Gerald Bassett who both are predicted to be much better than the best player playing their position.

Anthony Freeman: OK so here you might be thinking that he's pretty average with a couple of good physical stats but that's it. Well this is the report that my assistant gave him. Now considering that I was expecting a load of rubbish to get a player that could possibly be a good League 1 player is huge. And as you can see from the Squad list he didn't disappoint getting 6 in 9 games.

One weird thing I spotted. Didn't expect to see him play there.

And finally to prove I didn't cheat: Transfers.

Good start there TWFL. Did well to survive comfortably, now hopefully the push will start next year!

Freeman looks very impressive. The assistant's report is great news as he could end up playing for you as you rise through the leagues (hopefully!). Can I ask what Judging Player Ability/Potential your assistant has?

In the FA cup second qualifying round against Met Police I decided I'd put out my second string to try keep my first team fresh. Bad idea...

Carshalton vs Met Police

I'm a little embarrassed! Oh well, we can at least focus our attention elsewhere now. It's a shame really as a few games against bigger oppositions would have been excellent financially.

Edit: Things are going well in other areas, with us on a 10 game unbeaten streak in the league!

TWFL- great season comfortably surviving relegation and i must say you have been very lucky in your youth intake. to have 5stars CA already must mean freeman is one of your best players. dont get sucked in to making him an alround striker, train those physicals until he is at least 18/19 and then concentrate on finishing. I wasnt as lucky in my youth intake unfortunately.

I'm back for some more FM :D Should be on for a while, but i've got training later at 10.

I've been on a very poor run of form lately...

FA Trophy - Kidsgrove (Drew 0-0)

FA Trophy - Kidsgrove (Won 1-0 AET)

League - Stalybridge (Lost 3 - 2)

League - Lowestoft (Lost 1 - 0)

League - AFC Telford (Drew 0 - 0)

Struggling to score really and it has pegged me back in the league, i'm now 2nd, joint with Alfreton at the top on points, but my goal difference is lower :( I was 5 points clear not long ago in 1st place!

I'm back for some more FM :D Should be on for a while, but i've got training later at 10.

I've been on a very poor run of form lately...

FA Trophy - Kidsgrove (Drew 0-0)

FA Trophy - Kidsgrove (Won 1-0 AET)

League - Stalybridge (Lost 3 - 2)

League - Lowestoft (Lost 1 - 0)

League - AFC Telford (Drew 0 - 0)

Struggling to score really and it has pegged me back in the league, i'm now 2nd, joint with Alfreton at the top on points, but my goal difference is lower :( I was 5 points clear not long ago in 1st place!

Understandably disappointed but I imagine if you were offered a play-off spot at the start of the season, you'd have snatched at the chance, so to be challenging for the title is an incredible accomplishment!

Get a team meeting and some interactions going ;) Think I might post up a short update at Christmas, just of my current league standings and top couple of players. If that's okay of course.

It would be interesting to hear how people are approaching this challenge tactically.

Here is my tactics overview

I've chosen to opt for a solid side who are very hard to beat and try keep it tight at the back whilst exploiting our pace on the counter. This has definitely gone well so far with us having the tightest defence in the league.

League table

FC United of Manchester- 2012-2013 End of Season Report

League Table

A good season on the whole. We struggled to score goals but still managed to avoid relegation comfortably with a 15th place finish. I hope to improve slightly next season and I'm pondering on changing my tactic to a more attacking one. The team also got to th first round of the Fa cup and the 2nd round of the FA trophy which I am pleased with.

Squad

The stand out in terms of stats is Wolfenden, with 17 goals and 11 assists. Our Goalkeeper james spencer is probably the highest quality player the team has so he will be in the line up for years to come. Overall, the squad is lacking depth and a goalscorer and my youth intake has done nothing to ease my concerns over this.

Transfers - I'm clear!

Facilities - An improvement in junior coaching and some training facility improvements coming soon. hope to nag the board a bit more next season

Youth intake

A couple of bright prospects but none to set the world on fire. Joseph White is my best prospect and has been honoured with the (YP) tag, he has decent physicals and should be a first choice left back in the future.

Round up; a decent season overall and i'm glad to have not fallen at the first hurdle. The main disappointment is the lack of a goalscorer in the youth intake.

Next season: hoping to break the top half with a finish of 11th or better, but not expecting much. We will be getting better training facilities in november if we dont lose to much money and I will try and improve the junior coaching budget.

I basically try to beat teams on the counter attack, with 3 strikers up front, but I also have a steady defence aswell. 4-1-2-3

I'm really struggling a lot now, I think it's down to fitness, so i'm sending players on holiday for a short while, 4 players at a time and hopefully we can get them back and be back to winning ways soon.

joe- I'm Playing like that but the problem is there isnt any pace to expose in my team! My formation is more narrow however, as i dont have any decent wide players. instead i'm playing with 3 CM's and a DM. This is under review though and i may change it up.

2012/13 - Hendon - Blue Square South

Pre-Season:

A mixed Pre-season, getting a few wins over lesser clubs but getting thrashed 4-0, 6-1 & 7-0 by Ipswich, Charlton & Crystal Palace respectively.

Blue Square South: 20th - Relegated

Well the first season in the division and it's a very brief stay as Hendon are going straight back down as caused by a massive run of barely any wins.

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying Round

We only managed to beat Cray in 1 leg, needing a Replay against Gresley and losing the replay against Blue Square Premier side Mansfield who then got knocked out in the next round to non-league side Bashley, Bashley ended up losing to Sunderland 2-0 in the 3rd Round.

FA Trophy: 1st Round

Did well to beat Gloucester 2-0 who got relegated from Blue Square North this season, before a high-scoring game saw us lose 6-3 to Bromley in the 1st Round.

Under 18 Team

The Welsh lad Lee Collins stands out of that, and he slotted straight into the first team but alas, it was too little too late.

Lee Collins

joe- I'm Playing like that but the problem is there isnt any pace to expose in my team! My formation is more narrow however, as i dont have any decent wide players. instead i'm playing with 3 CM's and a DM. This is under review though and i may change it up.

I just play my fastest players on the wings and in the poacher position. I think pace is a key factor in the lower leagues and can rip defences apart.

I sometimes opt for 3 Cm's and a Dm when I'm defending a lead as it is a little tighter.

Hendon 2012/13 - Blue Square South

End of Season Update

League Table : Overall pleased with survival, it was so very close all seaon.

Fa Cup : Not a bad run :)

Fa Trophy : Mickey mouse man, Mickey mouse

Squad : Pleased enough with the current squad. Best player is an Irish guy off course wouldnt have it any other way. Need a RB and cover for the MC as i feel my 38yr old MC cover is on his last legs.

Youth Squad : Line em up and shoot em all me thinks

Youth Intake : as 13th of march rolled on i was so excited and then this :(

Russel Andrews YP01 : The only player from the youth intake going straight into the squad, proved good backup despite not scoring in the 9 games he played, defo potential there.

Key Players

Steven Last : without him many more goals would of gone past, a rock.

Elliott Godfrey : clinical upfront thank god with 22goals in 46 games

And of course TRANSFERS

Next season

after 3 failed attempts at getting my junior coaching up i need at least 1 or 2 ups before march rolls around again. im hoping that survival will be easier this time round with the players use to the tactics and their improvement overall. From now on i will post my youth intake as i get to them save leaving it till the end off the season.

If anyone want any other info on this team or how anyother team is getting on just ask.

Ant- Unlucky with Hendon mate, I hope you have another go with a different team :)

greyman- Well done on avoiding relegation and dont be to sad about the intake. Andrews will be a beast with his pace even if my nan is better at finishing than him ;), would swap your intake for mine any day.

I'm struggling for words here, I was one of the best teams, 5 points clear at the top and won plenty of games...

In the last 16 games, i've won just 2 games outright, and won 1 game on penalties against BSP Wrexham, drawn 9 and lost 4... I'm 5th in the league now! Looks like promotion is out of the question unless we start winning.

Archived