MikeMagnum's Alternate MLS/North America 2.0 Level 8

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this alternate US structure. If there is one thing I would add rivalry wise, it would be an Atlantic Cup with the 2 NY teams, Philadelphia, DC, and New England. The rivalries between these clubs are pretty intense in the real MLS (minus the Cosmos of course)

Are the teams in the lowest league on here real teams or made up teams, also is there logopacks for the lowest leagues, I've downloaded the logopacks that have been recommended to me on here so far but still want the lower American leagues logos.

Most if not all of the teams in the lower leagues (levels 6 and down) are completely made up, so no logos for those teams unfortunately.

I thought I did add a NY rival cup with COSMOS vs. Redbulls, could be mistaken though.

glad everyone is enjoying it, and not having too many problems with bugs or anything.

and fsquid, yes I did create something similar last year, I put twice the amount of work into this one so hope you enjoy

Thanks for the time you put into this. I was assuming I would be disappointed since the team I would want to play as is AC St. Louis since I live in Fenton where they played, but they ceased to exist as a team last year.

Was pleasantly surprised to see they are in this database still and rated rather highly. Downloaded it last night, spent a couple hours at work today making custom kits for them, and excited to give this database a go when I get home and hopefully hold me over til FM13.

Thanks for the time you put into this. I was assuming I would be disappointed since the team I would want to play as is AC St. Louis since I live in Fenton where they played, but they ceased to exist as a team last year.

Was pleasantly surprised to see they are in this database still and rated rather highly. Downloaded it last night, spent a couple hours at work today making custom kits for them, and excited to give this database a go when I get home and hopefully hold me over til FM13.

I've been playing as St. Louis Lions. It's been fun trying to pull them up as AC flirts with relegation. If it comes together, we'll both be in USL-PRO next year and all hell's going to break loose.

Alright, I don't like the promotion. Seems a bit harsh that I go through the USL-Pro season with 2 losses, the best by 15 points. I don't get promoted automatically. I get by the first opponent in the promotion playoffs easily, but get a rash of injuries and lose the finals.

Your thoughts behind making it that hard to get promoted?

I think Mike's set up acknowledges that promotion-relegation is such a (literally) foreign concept in North American sports and doesn't really fit with the "franchise" model that exists in MLS, NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL - why should you pay tens or hundreds of millions of dollars for a franchise only to find your terrible team bumped down after the first season??? So, making promotion so hard is probably the only "realistic" way it could ever hope to be implemented.

p.s.: as a Toronto FC supporter, I'm pretty happy there's no promotion-relegation in North America!!!

your going to have to be more specific. where are you seeing this error? Did you touch or change anything in the editor? Any other settings you changed or special circumstances that you introduced to cause this?

I haven't changed anything. I import it with the editor and I see blanks under all divisions and sub divisions.

I think Mike's set up acknowledges that promotion-relegation is such a (literally) foreign concept in North American sports and doesn't really fit with the "franchise" model that exists in MLS, NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL - why should you pay tens or hundreds of millions of dollars for a franchise only to find your terrible team bumped down after the first season??? So, making promotion so hard is probably the only "realistic" way it could ever hope to be implemented.

p.s.: as a Toronto FC supporter, I'm pretty happy there's no promotion-relegation in North America!!!

I know, but it just pissed me off that I didn't get promoted because I had an injury situaiton.

Mike, is there a way for teams to not steal your youth intakes? It's quite annoying.... :(

Good luck next year fsquid. If American soccer ever implements a promotion/relegation, this kind of playoff system might be the best there is.

Having lots of fun with this file Mike, Markham Marauders are now in the USL. :cool:

I know, but it just pissed me off that I didn't get promoted because I had an injury situaiton.

I do feel your pain, fsquid...

Injuries are annoying, but what I really hate in the custom North American databases I play with is that the playoffs always overlap with November international dates. If you've got a good team, you can storm the league only to see six regulars off on international duty and get knocked out in the playoffs.

I'm having a problem where almost all of the lower division clubs haven't hired a manager, and I'm into April in the simulation. I made sure to click Add Key Staff, I thought that would handle it. Is there a way to fix it without starting over?

Is the link down? I can't seem to get the file DLed at all. Keeps telling me that it times out due to having moved to a new web address...

This look amazing, though. CANNOT wait to get my hands on this one.

As a side note, does anyone know how it plays alongside other edits? I have FuryG's African Megapack installed, and I was hoping to be able to run them side-by-side... Has anyone tried this yet?

EDIT: So, I got the file installed, but the database is telling me that it found 0 files for any of the teams in the pack. Am I missing something? What is the correct path to install this file to in order for it to work?

As an aside, to replicate the error that he got, you have to install the file to: Documents/Sports_Interactive/Football_Manager_2012/editor_data

If you run it from there, you'll receive an error similar to the one previously described: "Could not process rule group settings in <file path> - too many teams (20) requested from Major League Soccer (0 teams)".

A minor issue perhaps:

Regarding the US Open Cup - I am three seasons into a career with AC St Louis. During the first season I won promotion from the NASL - but was never entered into the US Open Cup

Each of my seasons in the MLS, however, I have been entered into the US Open Cup, but instead of my reserve squad being entered (like every other MLS Team) my first team is entered instead.

To make matter worse, the board expect me to win the competition each year, when there are much more pressing competitions to attend to during that portion of the season (latter stages of the North American Open Cup, Group stages of the Concacaf Champions League, the MLS Play-off push, etc)

is there a sort of trigger that keep bringing me into the USC? or am I stuck in it every year?

In addition, the AC St Louis First team participates in the 'Show Me Cup' every year, in lieu of the reserve side.

Your state cup, the show me cup, is what qualifies you for the US Open cup for the following year. Now I may have made a mistake in allowing AC St. Louis first team qualify for those comps. If you compare almost everybody in USL-PRO on up, it sends their reserve squads to state cups/open cups. AC st. Louis was one of those last minute shuffles of the teams to get some balance in realestic represented cities in the NASL. I would start throwing my u18 at the show me cup, and starting reserves in the open cup. I imagine if your in year 3 with them and already in the champions league, your doing fine by your board.

Your state cup, the show me cup, is what qualifies you for the US Open cup for the following year. Now I may have made a mistake in allowing AC St. Louis first team qualify for those comps. If you compare almost everybody in USL-PRO on up, it sends their reserve squads to state cups/open cups. AC st. Louis was one of those last minute shuffles of the teams to get some balance in realestic represented cities in the NASL. I would start throwing my u18 at the show me cup, and starting reserves in the open cup. I imagine if your in year 3 with them and already in the champions league, your doing fine by your board.

Awesome, thanks for the insight on how that qualification system works.

Yea, I had a bit of a miracle run during that first season in MLS...

Another question for you Mike -

I'm trying to track the progress of the league via the 'league reputation' statistic in FMRTE, yet I am unable to find 'Major League Soccer' in FMRTE...

I've tried typing in any combination of 'MLS' 'M.L.S.' 'Major League Soccer' etc yet the league never comes up in the search results....

In creating this new structure did you have to give it a new name? Any recommendations for what I should use in the search?

A lot people who have had trouble loading the file in the past, had problems because they weren't using the up to date version of FM. this is for 12.2. Other than that, just make sure you not loading it with other databases, and loading it correctly. Let me know if you need any other help.

Archived