Question about new FMRTE, don't know if this is the right place

Chalky1989

The people who use it, may have noticed that you now HAVE to make a 'donation' to be able to use the full features. I don't really have a problem with that, a couple of quid is nothing if I do decide I want to use it. However, aren't there legal issues with this as the guy has created an editor to SI's game, he's essentially now making money from SI's game as without FM, FMRTE would be useless. Wasn't this a similar thing to how the Tactic Theorems thing kicked off? Just curious?

Unless he is using code that belongs to SI then i cannot see why he is in the wrong. If he has created the programme completely on his own then he in entitled to ask for a donation for it imo. SI never endorsed FMRTE anyway, so i cannot see them being bothered about less people being prepared to use it. It doesnt take money from them, infact some people only still play FM because they have FMRTE, SI themselves do not release a real time editor so it doesnt conflict with their editor.

Unless he is using code that belongs to SI then i cannot see why he is in the wrong. If he has created the programme completely on his own then he in entitled to ask for a donation for it imo. SI never endorsed FMRTE anyway, so i cannot see them being bothered about less people being prepared to use it.

Ah ok. Sounds fair enough then, I was just curious about it. I've no problem with donating to him to get it. Even though now it's a payment rather than a donation.

Back in the day when Eugene (GS author) tried to make Genie Scout 'donationware' SI had a problem with that and he had to stop, even though he also made a free version with limited functionality available. So it's likely to see Raul Bravo (FMRTE author) having a problem with SI soon.

Eugene is now releasing GS as free software, with option for people to contribute to get the ads-free version (which has a couple of minor extra features). To contribute it means either donate or translate the program in a new language. This way, everyone's happy.

now it appears they are alienating their use base.

Hopefully that will mean less people on the forums bragging about things they've 'achieved' while secretly using it.

Fwiw, I have no problem with people using it, it's their game at the end of the day, but the amount that go bragging about their ******** success...

Back in the day when Eugene (GS author) tried to make Genie Scout 'donationware' SI had a problem with that and he had to stop, even though he also made a free version with limited functionality available. So it's likely to see Raul Bravo (FMRTE author) having a problem with SI soon.

Eugene is now releasing GS as free software, with option for people to contribute to get the ads-free version (which has a couple of minor extra features). To contribute it means either donate or translate the program in a new language. This way, everyone's happy.

I'd not realised that about GS, must have missed it. The way he does it is the best though, either way he makes money, and we don't have to pay for it if we don't want to.

This all started with that rip-off hints guide (FM Britain?). Now greed has overtaken the author of FMRTE. I shall be making my feelings known at this disgusting turn of events.

I hope this is sarcasm or I think some perspective is required here. We are talking about paying 80-odd pence for a tool which many people find useful for a number of different reasons...

Oh btw Chalky1989 have you mannaged to get the new FMRTE working yet? Iv downloaded and donated but not received a code in email yet. Also the trial code thats on the site maitanence page atm doesn't seem to work :thdn:

Haven't tried as I haven't been able to download it since the FMRTE site is down for maintaince. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. The facebook page for FMRTE is your best bet for info.

Archived