Cant get online to steam

The number of downloads = number of players. Kind of explains itself.

You only see the number of Seeds (people hosting it) and the Leechers (people downloading it) and the Peers (uploading and downloading).

It's certainly not a true reflection of who has up- or downloaded it.

Thing is websites that host torrents are just that, hosts. The torrent can be coming from a number of locations, and hosted on many different sites. You'd have to go each site and get a download stat for each torrent, and figure out if that download available from that site is actually a working one and not a joke one.

If it has a private tracker then it would be easier. But most likely won't.

Remember, pirating is illegal, downloading copyrighted material is illegal if you have not paid for it and accepted the digital eula.

And remember, that Steam is required to authenticate your purchase and is not a malicious program. However, downloading a pirated version may very well include malicious code that can corrupt your system.

Steam is by far the best and safest way to download/authenticate/play FM12.

You only see the number of Seeds (people hosting it) and the Leechers (people downloading it) and the Peers (uploading and downloading).

It's certainly not a true reflection of who has up- or downloaded it.

Thing is websites that host torrents are just that, hosts. The torrent can be coming from a number of locations, and hosted on many different sites. You'd have to go each site and get a download stat for each torrent, and figure out if that download available from that site is actually a working one and not a joke one.

If it has a private tracker then it would be easier. But most likely won't.

Remember, pirating is illegal, downloading copyrighted material is illegal if you have not paid for it and accepted the digital eula.

And remember, that Steam is required to authenticate your purchase and is not a malicious program. However, downloading a pirated version may very well include malicious code that can corrupt your system.

And now, a word from our sponsor. :D

Amen to that, however I personally would prefer if users could authenticate through steam whenever they received their copy, with the same level of anti piracy protection, rather than the slightly arbitrary system that we have now. feels a bit like we're all being treated like potential criminals.

Amen to that, however I personally would prefer if users could authenticate through steam whenever they received their copy, with the same level of anti piracy protection, rather than the slightly arbitrary system that we have now. feels a bit like we're all being treated like potential criminals.

It's a new system this year. They may change that next year.

But they have a release date and that's what they stick by. Fact you can buy it early or from a shop early doesn't meant that this is ok.

Where's the fairness in that? Some people will get it earlier than others? Why can't we all get it at the same time?

This is what Steam ensures.

Like it did with the demo..... :rolleyes:

As it was a new system in place, and not used by SI before. It was both a demo for us and SI.

Hopefully those issues were ironed out during the farcical demo download where some regions couldn't access the demo for HOURS after it was released.

Shame on them making us wait HOURS for the game to be available across the Steam network where they have servers across 100's of countries and 7 continents.

I for one was able to contact, SI, Steam and Sega and find out how long the delay would be for my region. And I got a satisfactory answer.

Some people think the internet is instantaneous! But it's not. Not even emails are. God forbid that if the game was available on disk and the delivery truck guy for the magazine containing the demo was off sick that day!

All in all - it went well. There were a few complainers for the sake of complaining. And a few that had legitimate complaints.

Is FM12 the only game being released on steam on the 21st Oct?

No, but nothing else on the scale of FM. Most Steam releases occur on "Steam time", which is at 10 AM US Pacific. FM is a special case. Midnight GMT is 8 PM US Eastern and 5 PM US Pacific, which is peak network traffic time in the US. The things that matter: In your Steam client, make sure your "download region" (a tab within Settings) is set to the right country (don't try to hit a US server if you're in the UK or EU), and do the pre-load step if at all possible.

IMO that's an absolute disgrace to put such an element of control on when people can play the game. I could understand if it were a game such as Call of Duty or FIFA/PES whereby people getting the game early can effectively get a head start on others they may at some point be in direct competition over, but people who have the opportunity to play FM2012 a day or two earlier than others will have absolutely no impact on somebody elses game who starts playing a day or two later.

I love FM2012 and this isn't going to make or break me buying the game but I have been far from impressed with the impact Steam has had on the game over the last year or two.

Anyway, rant over, can I ask if I have purchased a boxed version, does it allow me to install the game before Friday 00.00 and then I just simply need to activate it thereafter or will it just not let me do anything and I then have to spend a good half hour or so messing around with the installation at midnight?

Why?

That's when the game releases, so that's when you can play it. Other merchandise has release dates and times, so why not football manager?

To call it a disgrace that you can't play the game before it's out is verging on stupidity.

As for having to spend half an hour messing about trying to install the game, well the youth of today don't know how good they have it. I remember when you couldn't buy anything for 3 or 4 days over Christmas...or on a Sunday. Ahhh...good days. :D

No, it will still be pirated...just like every other game, even those with stricter and more invasive forms of DRM. What SI is trying to prevent is zero day piracy (or indeed piracy before release date) as this 'might' have a significant impact on sales as people will pirate first and then might not purchase. Preventing anyone playing (whether that's right or wrong is another debate) until release day cuts out the people who pirate because it is easier (though obviously piracy will still exist with it being free, and also in protest over using the likes of Steam).

I don't think that using Steam will cut down on piracy. It just means people will wait a bit longer before they get the game.

Archived