FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having made it to January (season 5) thought I would give a further update.

With the French Champions Trophy and European Super Cup already in the trophy cabinet the next piece of silverware up for grabs was the World Club Championship. We drew America (Mex) in the Semi Final and I decided to give my second string some valuable playing time. Unfortunately once Jimmy Briand was given a straight red for violent behaviour on 15 minutes it was always going to be a difficult task. I couldn’t have asked for any more from the boys though as they dominated from start to finish, but unfortunately the final score of 2-2 didn’t do them justice. With a lot of young players in the side the pressure of a penalty shootout was too much as we crashed out. One small consolation was that they picked themselves up to win the 3rd place play off.

The domestic cups are going well with a League Cup Semi Final to come against Bordeaux at home, and a 10th round tie in the French Cup away at Laval.

The league is also going very well with a 13 point gap in place giving us plenty of breathing space (P22 W18 D2 L2 F58 L11 PTS56).

We again comfortably qualified from the Group Stages of the Champions League despite a tough draw. Two 3-1 victories against Juventus, 7-0 and 4-0 wins against Grasshopper and a 2-1 victory (and 3-2 defeat) over Man Utd saw us top the group. We have been drawn against Chelsea in the first KO round, with the first leg at Stamford Bridge. One of the main aims this season is to go further than Liverpool, as this will see us rise to number one in the European rankings (currently 2nd).

24 year old Brazilian goalkeeper Cassio has now joined for £8m, and has impressed in his couple of outings so far. I am also very pleased to have tied up pre-contract agreements with Asamoah Gyan and Distel Zola, who will now be joining for free at the end of the season icon14.gif The only down side is that this will probably spell the end of their Lyon careers for Keita and Bodmer. Nasri is also out of contract at the end of the season but has so far resisted the lure of Lyon, I will however keep trying and will hopefully eventually wear him down.

I am considering offering a contract to Freddy Adu who is also out of contract. If anyone has any experience of him I would be interested to hear.

That’s it for now. Hope it wasn’t too boring.

icon_wink.gif

Liam

I cannot stress this enough buy Makoun he is a beast. A great DM. Buy. And tbh thats cheap.

Spike

Shame about the money making Trophy. icon_frown.gif So easy money.

Great result in the Group Stages. icon14.gif

Don't sell Bodmer mate fgs. Keita is still great in sixth season with me just scored 4 in one game.

Nasri would be good i just don't like him for some reason.

I signed Adu also on a free and he plays very good at amc and okay at aml. Shame that my amc spots are very expensive.

Hopey

I have to correct you. I'm always on form. icon_biggrin.gif

Purefun

Still got £1.3m for finishing 3rd (only got £2.6m when I won it) so not too bad.

As for Bodmer & Keita I don't really want to sell them but my first team squad will be too big, and as you know I don't normally keep players once they hit 30. I like to cash in on them while I still can, keep the finances healthy (btw Keita just scored 4 in a game for me also, although it was a cup game against non league opposition).

I'm also looking the possibility of signing Veloso, so Bodmer would hardly get a look in. He's already 2nd choice at MC (only play one) behind Comacho, who's been awesome.

Purefun

had the offer accepted and then straight away A.Madrid, Sporting about 8 other clubs came in and got bids accepted, in the end he went to A.Madrid,

Was looking at Lorik Cana but £15m doesn't seem good enough,

Still in that joker window (?lol) and the Jan transfer window is coming up, board gave me an extra £19m after earlier reject my request lol, going to try and get Cana and I'm looking into Mexes

Liam

Never played with Cana before so don't know. Post a s.s. of him makes it easier to give advice.

Spike

Yes that is still good money.

Bodmer is only 29 and yes Keita would be 30 or 31. Veloso would be ace and better at DM than Bodmer. So go for it.

As for your regens : Dvorak buy without hesitation, Ginbilipro big buy, Guillen gigantic buy but will be expensive. Great finds. Do you use Miniscout perhaps?

Purefun

I can honestly say i've never used any of the scouting tools, I think it takes the fun out of the game. Isn't that what your in game scouts are for?

Every couple of months I use the player search to look for potential targets aged 21 or below to see if any gems pop up. Then I just look at the first 20-25 players on the list to see what their stats are like.

Think I must have been lucky as i've never come across any decent regens before. Not sure I can afford all of them though icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Spike:

liam_everton89

This is how Lorik Cana looks in my game in January 2012.

If you're looking for one for the future try Ignacio Comacho might not be ready for first team football at the stage you are at, but as you can see he will become great.

Hope this helps icon14.gif

Cheers mate, to be honest I'm only planning on doing one season at Lyon, then move onto antoer country for a season then another country etc etc, So really players I'm after are for immediate impact not young un's.

On the subject of regens, how often do they appear in the game? all at once at one part of season or just randomly throughout?

Originally posted by liam_everton89:

On the subject of regens, how often do they appear in the game? all at once at one part of season or just randomly throughout?

from every game i've played, at the start of the new season you get a new influx of regens, at least 6-8.

really enjoying my lyon game.

after fiddling with tactics, i've decided to stick with a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1 with farrows from the wingers to the amc positions and set them to cross the ball rarely and have either bodmer or junihio sitting a bit back dictating play. it's had benzema and van.d.vaart scoring.

league forms become more consistent. won 5 out of 6 ( 2-1 defeat to bordeaux, bellion scored a beast). i've qualified for the knockout round of the champions league after a shaky start. i was 2-0 down against sporting away, so i decided to switch my passing to the flanks and won 5-2, benzema hat-trick. then had arsenal at home, was 0-0 for 70 minutes when i realised they were playing song at left back, so i exploited this, set passing to right flank and menez and keita destroyed him and won the game 2-0, and a good 4-1 win against copenhagen ensured i qualified, but arsenal still won the group. waiting to see who i get next.

with january coming up, i'm starting to think about transfers. im hoping to sell baros and kallstrom to add to my 25M kitty and i am looking for another striker( note: briand has moved to psg) thinking about cavani as i've never had him before but is he as good on 8.0.0.

also on my wishlist are a right back and solid yet pacey CB, so anyone got any suggestions?

Spike

Mate you're right. Anyway you got damm lucky those are topregens and personally i would pay anything for them. Go for it. icon14.gif

I also have a couple of (hopefully) topregens. Will introduce them end of season with s.s.!!!

I'm going to scout that Camacho intensive. But he doesn't look that good on my game though.

Liam

As you can see Cana looks great in 2012 tbh. So go for him. Thx Spike for providing the s.s.

New regens are always about 7-10 days before the start of the new season. f.e. for France that is around 20-23 June. But for Brazil its somewhere in December because they start the new season in January.

Pernambucano

You play a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 i presume. icon_wink.gif

Good luck in the first knock-out round.

Cavani seems to be great so i have heard on the forums.

Clercq is one of the best rb's on the game, my suggestion would be to promote Abenzoar and let him play in smaller- and cup games. He turns out great.

For DC i still would go for Samba, Felipe, Garay (if affordable).

loving this game purefun icon_wink.gif its great!

just a quick question. what do you do with fred and benzema, i only play 1 striker and benzema has got 18 in 18 and is on fire! but fred usually is class in my games so i don't want to leave him out. i got briand in because fred was injured at start and have retrained him to play AMR which he is loving!

but still i cant see myself dropping benzema but soon fred will get fed up. what do you guys do?

Currently 1st of February 2013

Didn't buy anybody during transferwindow. Not that i didn't want to but i normally scout brazilian and argentinian "market". It seems that i forgot to do that. (i do this so i could sign some regens for free).

Well i did sign some players (5) all on frees icon_biggrin.gif will do an s.s. tonight.

Originally posted by dexta200:

loving this game purefun icon_wink.gif its great!

just a quick question. what do you do with fred and benzema, i only play 1 striker and benzema has got 18 in 18 and is on fire! but fred usually is class in my games so i don't want to leave him out. i got briand in because fred was injured at start and have retrained him to play AMR which he is loving!

but still i cant see myself dropping benzema but soon fred will get fed up. what do you guys do?

Alright mate, I play with just the on upfront also, tbh Fred hardy gets a sniff, the last 20 minutes usually is what he gets.

I'm in march first season and hes started 1 came on as sub 19 scored 4 set up 3... good thing is he's not complained once yet

dexta2000

The only way to keep them happy is to rotate them.

I use 2 strikers but have Fred, Benzema, Briand & Saivet. I use Fred & Benzema for the important games and then use the other 2 in the French Cup competitions and against weaker league opposition. This keeps them all happy.

Dexta

Offcourse this game is fun, i always say this. icon_smile.gif

As Spike said rotate them every other game, this is how i do it, nobody complains, everyone gets to play, and they always score.

If you play on 8.02 than i would sell Fred tbh.

I would not train him like that but if you want to choose i would go for fast one. I only use default training (7 star though).

Purefun

Would you say it's better to use default traing rather than a made up one i.e Tugs Training, provided the coaching is 7*s??

On a side note, I'm wondering whether to leqave at end of season now, keep thinking what this team could achieve, and only just realised theres a massive new stadium being built

Originally posted by dexta200:

this 7 star coaches? how do i find them? i always look and get some good coaches but they are 4/5 maximum :s

Staff

On that link mate, go to bottom of first page, post by Kensta or something like that,

He lists all the attributes needed for each coach, all you need to do is go staff search, filter, customise, then click on attributes, tick the boxes for whatever attributes you after, e.g - GK search GK coaching, then you pick must be above and you can choose 10,15,20

I usually have a look if theres any 20's and sign them, if not search 15 and look on the profiles of those coaches, to be 7* the attribute your after must be atleast 18,

I hope this helps

For some areas you need 2 or attributes atleast 18.

Don't be fooled by a coaches reputation being just national either he'll still be 7*s providing he's in the right bit,

Also sometimes it's scouts that have the right attributes...

Good luck.

Also on the last page of that link I posted a SS of some coaches when I was at Man U, i think some of the stats are random but the names on there should still be 7*s.

cheers mate i was just having a look at this actually. thanks for the help! i'm just going to do it with lyon but i have barca and chelsea to do after but ill do them another time, try and get lyon sorted 1st!

thanks for the help ill let you know who i end up with.

liam_everton89

Don't know how you can consider leaving after one season? It's unheard of icon_smile.gif

Trust me when you get to the end of the season you'll be addicted. It also helps that this is the friendliest thread on here (credit to Purefun for that).

Look forward to hearing an update on your SECOND season icon_wink.gif

Liam and Dexta

Imo yes i think default is better.

Most of my coaches started out local or national and are now worldclass. I searched for regen staff and excisting and put the search filter on f.e. for GK at 20 and signed someone them ... For some you need to have two attributes but look in that thread that you said.

Also dump those other games and stay with us.

And yes play Lyon longer mate this is more fun than any other game.

Agent Tiro

Only if Villareal stated they would be "valuable members of the squad", rather than "back-up to the first team".

If they are hardly going to play you would be better keeping them and playing them in your reserves league team.

I've only got the top french league running so no reserves icon_frown.gif

Lulinha is getting loads of first team games, and despite them saying Saivet would he's been on the bench a lot. To be honest Saivet will probably get more games for me than Villareal, as instead of using Ben Arfa upfront i'll keep him to his AMC role.

Lulinha may have to stay because I cant see him getting many games ahead of my midfielders.

Right, just finished my first season and it turned out tobe a goodone. Won the tittle and the french cup!

Tittle was won by 7 points- not as easy as it sounds, I lost 4 on the bounce at the turn of the year to leave me 5 points behind nice and only went top with 4 games to go, then nice imploded and lost the last 3 games as i went on a 15games unbeaten run of which the last 7 were wins. icon14.gif

Europe was not so good, after finising second in my group to inter i drew arsenal. I won the home leg 3-0 but got hammered 4-0 in the return. icon13.gif

Now planning for nextseason, on the lookout for a keeper(prob Lloris(sp?)) a CB, a LB and a ST.

All in all not a bad season but am looking to do better nextseason.

Oh yeah monaco went down second bottom!

Darren

Good first season, the league and main cup are the most important.

Seeing Monaco got relegated, you need to sign to Menez should be cheap now. See if you can get Zola too.

GK : Lloris or Costil

DC : Mensah, Mexes or someone of the big guns

LB : Matthieu if you're playing 8.02, if not i play Bocaly there and he is immense also Sakho is great.

ST : Briand, Gignac, Kardec, Falcao

Well done darren. I only won the league in my first season so congrats!

Europe is proving a tough nut for me to crack as well. But i'm determined to do it!

Lloris is fantastic, could cost you a pretty penny though.

DC, sakho seems highly recommended and considering how the cheapest i could get him for was well over ten times his valuation he's definately one to get sooner rathr than later.

LB you can't go wrong with jeremy mathieu imo, cost me 10m in the second season but very solid, fast, and good at going forward as well. Other options are armand traore at arsenal and taye taiwo. Thats if you are sticking to french players.

ST, no idea, i've only brought in Saivet and Briand, and a few regens who are in the u18's doing there thing. But theres plenty of prolific ones out there.

Originally posted by purefun:

Dexta

Also dump those other games and stay with us.

And yes play Lyon longer mate this is more fun than any other game.

na i cant do that. just won't stick with it. when i am a top team ie Lyon last time i tried just couldn't keep it up because i had won everything and was just bored now i have the chance to win everything in 3 leagues and see which team i can do best at so i am competiting with myself! which i find enjoyable.

i did a milan, real and arsenal one before and lasted til 2019 and loved it!

so hopefully this will be the same!

just signing loads of coaches at the moment. and got nanni as my physio.

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

anyone managed to get the stadium expanded beyond the 60,000 you get when you move to the OL Land?

Asked for a new expansion so hoping to get over 60.000 (currently at 58.602 seats)

Dexta

In that case i hope it lasts till 2019 icon14.gif

Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

anyone managed to get the stadium expanded beyond the 60,000 you get when you move to the OL Land?

Asked for a new expansion so hoping to get over 60.000 (currently at 58.602 seats)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the question was mainly asked towards 8.0.2 Lyon users beyond 2010 (which i know now is a very slim chance) as on the 8.0.2 you move into a stadium

do people keep the starting assistant manager or do they replace him? as imo he looks fairly poor, who do peopel use as i've just sacked mine icon_biggrin.gif

Ive kept mine but to be honest i've not changed the staff all that much, he's good enough really.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Season update coming soon 2 games left

do people keep the starting assistant manager or do they replace him? as imo he looks fairly poor, who do peopel use as i've just sacked mine icon_biggrin.gif

Replaced him, got Moniz from Spurs icon14.gif

Who do you think are the best five goalies in the game?

They need to be fairly young in first season (26 tops)

Thanks

PP

Odd question for a team thread, if you mean in France then its quite easy:

Costil

Lloris

Are the two stands out, Lloris is much better at the start of the season while Costil is one for the future. Both become world class, as for the top five keepers in general well something like:

Iker Casialles(sp)

Akfineev

Buffon

Cech

what do you guys do about juninho? when do you sell him? and who do you replace him with?

Well if I was you I wouldn't say him to a Rival French team, I have kept him purely for the training side so he can tutor my young players. I don't play him any more but he plays for the reserves, if your gonna sell him, sell him to a team outside of France otherwise he might come back to haunt you! icon_smile.gif

barnet boys

For assistant manager i brought in Marcel Desailly after purefun mentioned he'd lost him. He has good stats and does a good job. I replaced some of the backroom staff so i could get seven star training.

poopy pants

Not sure on top 5 keepers but i'd imagine craig gordon, hugo lloris and igor akinfeev to be pretty high up there. Any long term game i've done gordon and akinfeev have been amazing and lloris is doing amazingly for me currently.

dexta

I've kept juninho, just for loyalty's sake. I want him to come off the bench during champions league final while i'm in the lead. He's been a great servant to the club so i'm going to try and get him that winners medal before he retires. When he does i'm hoping he'll become a scout for me. I did manage to negotiate a lower wage for his contract as well.

Anyway, as i now have a very strong squad, with plenty of depth in each position i've begun to work towards the future. Scouts are out on missions around the globe to find me the hottest prospects around. age limit being set at 16 tops! lets see who i can get in for my future squads.

Odd question for a team thread, if you mean in France then its quite easy:

Costil

Lloris

Are the two stands out, Lloris is much better at the start of the season while Costil is one for the future. Both become world class, as for the top five keepers in general well something like:

Iker Casialles(sp)

Akfineev

Buffon

Cech

Thanks icon14.gif

Barnetboyz

On my game his stats look good, and his average rating in the 08/09 season was above 7. Auxerre bought him in january 08 for 4.6m and he has since moved to schalke for 9.75m in summer 09.

Personally i think it's a good deal. Even if biglia doesn't cut it, it seems like you can get some money for him.

Originally posted by the pernambucano of football remainders:

Scott08

do you have benzema as your target man with target man supply - pay to to feet?

I don't have TM selected no. He always gets the ball from my AMC as he's set to short passing.

Archived