FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

medium_logo_ol.2.gif

Olympique Lyonnais (popularly known as OL, or simply Lyon, or Les Gones) is a French football club based in Lyon. They play in Ligue 1 and are the reigning champions of France, for the sixth time running. Olympique Lyonnais play their home matches at the 43,051 seater Stade de Gerland, Lyon. OL are also a member of the G14 group of leading European football clubs. Lyon was formed as Lyon Olympique Universitaire in 1899, according to many supporters and sport historians but was nationally established as a club on August 3, 1950.

Full name : Olympique Lyonnais

Nickname : Les Gones or OL

Founded : 1899 (i'll take this date because its way icon_cool.gif than 1950)

Ground : Stade Gerland (43.051 seats)

Chairman : Jean-Michel Aulas

Manager : that would be you icon_wink.gif

Jean-Michel Aulas took control of the club in 1987 and invested in the club with the objective of European qualification and become an established Ligue 1 side, within fifteen years. European qualification was achieved after a mere two years at the top level (only four years of Aulas' control). After that they achieved - almost every year - european qualification. And with the beginning of the millenium they began their total domination of the french league. Lyon's European ambitions have meanwhile never been realised beyond the quarter-finals, however.

Olympique Lyonnais has a highly-active and loyal fan-base, in Lyon . The supporters have gained a strong reputation in Europe, due to their control of Ligue 1 as well as their appearances in the Champions League. The Stade de Gerland is frequently a sell-out in the majority of their home European and League matches.

Lyon has a healthy rivalry with fellow side Saint-Étienne, which is one of the highlights in Ligue 1. AS Monaco, Marseille and Paris Saint-Germain have been OL's secondary rivals, and in recent years Lille and RC Lens have posed threats.

Ligue 1 Championship: 6

2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

Trophée des Champions: 7

1973, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

Coupe de France: 3

1964, 1967, 1973

Ligue 2 Championship: 3

1951, 1954, 1989

Coupe de la Ligue: 1

CURRENT SQUAD :

No. Position Player

1 GK Grégory Coupet (vice-captain)

2 DF François Clerc

3 DF Cris (vice-captain)

4 DF Patrick Müller

5 MF Mathieu Bodmer

6 MF Kim Källström

7 FW Milan Baroš

8 MF Juninho (captain)

9 FW Fred

10 FW Karim Benzema

11 DF Fabio Grosso

14 FW Sidney Govou

18 FW Hatem Ben Arfa

20 DF Anthony Réveillère

21 DF Nadir Belhadj

22 DF Anderson

23 FW Kader Keïta

24 MF Romain Beynié

26 MF Fábio Santos

28 MF Jérémy Toulalan

29 DF Sébastien Squillaci

30 GK Rémy Vercoutre

40 GK Frédéric Roux

Transfers In :

5 MF Mathieu Bodmer (€6.5m from Lille)

11 DF Fabio Grosso (€7m from Inter Milan)

21 DF Nadir Belhadj (loan return from Sedan)

22 DF Anderson (€4m from S.L. Benfica)

23 FW Kader Keïta (€18m from Lille)

40 GK Frederic Roux (free agent from Ajaccio)

Transfers Out : (there were more but these are the most important imo)

5 DF Claudio Caçapa (Free Agent to Newcastle United)

10 MF Florent Malouda (€21m to Chelsea)

15 MF Alou Diarra (€7.75m to Bordeaux)

20 DF Éric Abidal (€15m to Barcelona)

21 MF Tiago Mendes (€13m to Juventus)

23 DF Jérémy Berthod (€2m to AS Monaco)

22 FW Sylvain Wiltord (€1.5m to Rennes)

Little something on the coachingstaff, scouts, physio. They are all great imho. I'd suggest you give the majority of them new (bigger) contracts, esp. youthcoaches are great give them a contract as "coach", they demand a lot more money but trust me they are worth it. (otherwise other teams will go for them)

Transferbudget : if i remember correctly it was about 20 mil euro but after asking for more the board gave me 45 mil euro which isn't to bad icon_biggrin.gif.

Squad improvement (well imo) :

Coupet injured for 4 months, Cris injured for 7 months, Fred injured for 2 months, the 3 most important players for the team are out so they need replacement. You need a better GK (Kameni relaese clause), a defender (Ignashevich will cost nothing) and a striker (Adriano in first week, Martins, Owen, Pazzini, ...).

You also need to strengthen your midfield. VDV and Modric come to mind. But be aware of Ben Arfa he starts complaining if you buy even one midfielder. So see that you give him a new lengthy and with a big buy-out clause contract before you buy any midfielders.

Hope i didn't make any mistakes and enjoy this marvellous game.

Purefun.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to say that your foreign(4) spots are full so no need to search for non-european players because you can't sign them unless you sell one of your foreigners.

Africans don't count as foreign players however which is handy.

Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Nice opening post, if not lacking a badge icon_wink.gif

I'll be playing with Les Gones once I get FM08, but until then I'll be using the FM07 Lyon Thread.

Nice post, and I hope more people start playing with Lyon. icon_cool.gif

thx mate

i really don't know how to put images in, i tried it but i failed icon_frown.gif

Great work bud! Nice start. Like i said in the 07 thread, i'm sticking with that one for a while, maybe in the new year i'll get onto 08, so don't forget about me in there! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that this thread will be as successful as the last.

Originally posted by keef:

Great work bud! Nice start. Like i said in the 07 thread, i'm sticking with that one for a while, maybe in the new year i'll get onto 08, so don't forget about me in there! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that this thread will be as successful as the last.

i won't forget you mate icon_wink.gif

next year??? icon_confused.gif

Most likely next year. I've got a few really good save games going at the moment on 07, so I don't feel too much of a need to upgrade straight away, and here the game comes out for Aus $89.95. It can wait.

Plus, I'm not too sure that my laptop will run it icon_frown.gif

juninho's ability has been cut down on fm08 (demo) esp. physical ones, i know he is 32, but still the master of the team, thats why i bought vdv on the demo, great buy for only 12+ mil euro, i hope his physical stats will be improved on the full game next week icon_cool.gif

quick something on transfers lyon did :

they should have never sold alou diarra he was an absolute rock in fm07

the selling of malouda and abidal are understandeble due to the amount of money given the same goes for tiago imo

the buying of bodmer is icon_cool.gif, grosso is great but probably difficult to keep, keita is imo a waste of money but versatile, anderson was just a quick solution to replace the long injured cris

so def. work on the transferfront

some players that i signed on demo :

kameni : gk, 1 choice, has a releaseclause but you can buy him cheaper

vdv : amc, hamburg, bought him for 12 mil euro which is cheap tbh and he is great no doubt about that

modric : versatile attacking midfielder, very popular last game, is better on this game and 5.5 mil euro is his price

also signed ignasivich (terrible spelling) but he plays for cska moscow great defender and free of charge

only problem is upfront i def. need another (great) striker seeing that i can't buy any more foreigners i need to go european (read a lot more expensive) so i'd go for martins (14.5 mil euro) but everybody wanted him so he probably won't come ...

can anyone give me some advice on some european striker good (great) enough to play in champions league???? and give me his price too??? thx

Hi Purefun,

Had a quick game with Lyon to see, which players were interested in signing when I decide to play a Lyon save.

And two strikers stood out who were extremely interested in signing for Lyon. These were:

Pandev and Amauri, no idea on prices but both look quality and my top scout said Amauri is better than Fred.

P.S. Aguero is apparently interested in signing for Lyon at the start, so maybe a future signing there. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by jjnjnkj@hotmail.com:

Hi Purefun,

Had a quick game with Lyon to see, which players were interested in signing when I decide to play a Lyon save.

And two strikers stood out who were extremely interested in signing for Lyon. These were:

Pandev and Amauri, no idea on prices but both look quality and my top scout said Amauri is better than Fred.

P.S. Aguero is apparently interested in signing for Lyon at the start, so maybe a future signing there. icon_wink.gif

thx mate

heard about pandev being superb on demo, i'm def. going to check him out on friday icon_cool.gif

amauri i will have a look to

aguero i had on fm07 great player would buy him without thinking, but he is too expensive on fm08 so maybe in the future (on a free icon_wink.gif)

started the game on full version today, just played a couple of hours, sorted my coaches (kept them all but gave them different contracts), hired extra scouts, psychios and an extra coach, also sorted the trainingschedule almost all up to seven stars except shooting, set pieces and something else

than after a lot of deep thinking icon_wink.gif i made a lot of (and i mean a lot) of bids and after a couple of hours playing i only signed one player so far and that is my beloved henri saivet for compo icon14.gif

kameni, pandev, huntelaar, delporte, modric, costil, kompany, vdv, de jong, flamini, lucas, drenthe, marcelo, .... are just a few i made bids/loans for

will report back when i signed a couple of important ones

signed ignashevich... (terrible sp) on a free, the central defender from cska moscow (great player)

also signed flamini from arsenal on a year long loan paying half of his wages

still have a gigantic number of offers out there so still hoping for an extra DM (zapater, makoun, de jong), one or two attacking midfielders and one attacker (pandev, huntelaar)

the gk problem is solved i made an offer for kameni, accepted and now i'm negotiating his contract

Originally posted by raiden131313:

what's your opinions on romain miguet, he looks good to start but does he get better?

in fm07 he didn't cut it mate but this time his stats are better i'm hoping he'll be ready within two seasons

anyway lots of good youngsters in france mate icon14.gif

signed klaas-jan huntelaar for a combined 19 mil euro after hard negotiation but what the hell i wanted him so i have him

signed kameni the famaous and great GK because simply i needed an experienced GK who could replace coupet immediatly because he is injured for a long time

also signed that bellushi guy an atticking midfielder (centre and right) from river plate i think to give me more options and he looks great imo

so now i only need one extra defensive midfielder and than my money is gone icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by B'S-up:

what tactic are you using cause whatever one i try it doesn't work out?

are you playing as Lyon feel free to post mate icon14.gif

anyway i'm using a system of my own playing a 3-2-3-2 : 3 central defenders, 2 DM's, 3 attacking midfielders set on the middleline with arrows and 2 strikers (normally using a targetman and a free role but also sometimes with two fast strikers)

the key in this formation is using your DM's so you need good one, i retrained toulalon, bodmer as DM, you have that santos guy but he is crap and nobody wants him, and than you need to buy a fourth one (f.e. makoun, maduro, de jong, veloso ...)

have some more signings :

aaritalo you know that finnish striker we will see about him

barazite from arsenal for 30.000 euro for future

acapandie from auxerre a striker on a compo also for future

jean II makoun a beast of a DM for about 12.75 mil euro

miguel veloso from sporting for 12. mil euro also a young and looking great DM

also signed costil on a cheap for an extra gk when vercoutre is leaving at the end of the season

had my transfer budget adjusted so still have money want to spend it on youngsters

sold muller and dos santos so i have one eu-spot available

Originally posted by jonahno6:

Just about to start my FM08 game with Lyon, looking to sign Ignasavic (sp), Samba and Micheal Johnson (My fave FM player icon_cool.gif even though hes a city player icon_frown.gif )

What about a striker

Signed all of them + Huntelaar, Kameni, Aaritalo and offered Saivet a contract

Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by purefun:

almost the same signings of me icon14.gif what can i say, you're great icon_biggrin.gif

did you sell anyone??

No i've had no offers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same trick as last year put them on transfer list, set on 0 value, don't offer them around, wait one day, and than offer them around for a small fee upfront and the rest in 24 month installements (thats how i "lost" santos)

Forgot to mention that i won all my friendlies, not all convincing but still wins which is good for moral

Played my first official game Champions Trophy against Sochaux (sp), was a good match with +20 shots on target but only scored one (ben arfa) a 30 yarder (not to bad icon_wink.gif), defence was great from lyon

Note : Squillaci (sp) was in all my friendlies and the Champions Trophy the best player of Lyon

Opening of the season is against Marseille icon_cool.gif a good test for the team

alright folks.

Stupid me, just posted on old forum.

Anyway, am at Lyon and have made a couple of signings. Barthez on a free. Ignashevich for free. Eddie Johnson for £2.6m (release clause) and a couple of Belgian youngsters (Cor Gillis and Odjija Ofoe(sp)). Also signed Jozy Altidore on a pre contract, and am negotiating with Martial Yao. Also need a AML to rotate with Ben Arfa. Negotiating with Harry Kewell, and also Denilson (not the Arsenal one).

Sold Muller and trying to sell or loan Fabio Santos.

Lost Sonny Anderson to Lille though, which was a shame.

Gonna look at some of the players mentioned on here aswell.

ended up getting neither Denilson or Kewell. Wish i had though, as i have just lost Ben Arfa for 3 weeks, so either Grosso or Juninho to cover, as i'm not sure about Belhadji yet. Will post all my Ins and Outs when i get a chance, but can't get on imageshack at moment for some reason!! But briefly, i have signed Ignashevic, Eddie Johnson, Falcao(sent straight out on loan to Zaragoza in attempt for EU passport), Zarate, Gillis, Odjija Ofoe, Barazite and some others.

Have also got Alex, Lulinha, Sergio Motta, Jozy Altidore, Martial Yao, Sunday Mba,Miralem Pjanic and Abdus Ibrahim signed for the future. Obviously some of these will be loaned out for a couple of years to gain EU passports.

Chairman sold Kallstrom for £13.5m as well! icon_frown.gif

thx mate still interesting transfers, love those players from anderlecht (my fav team in belgium icon14.gif)

anyway started the official season with the first match at marseille (probably the best team after me) so a difficult away game tbh, i won it 2-1, strange game within first 20 minutes there were 5 goals but 3 of them where disallowed icon_confused.gif, second half marseille get a penalty (juninho tackled wrong) but kameni saved it. So good start of the season.

Played 4 games so far, winning 3 and 1 draw.

I'm in final week of transfer and hoping of making some deals for quality youngsters (so that means below 16 years)

@ Purefan

under 16's! I could name a few under 18's, but as far as U16's go, I have only signed a couple. Christophe Carlier from Creteil was highly recommended by one of my scouts, Saivet (of course) although i'm still trying to get him, Anderson from AaB, and Abdus Ibrahim from the Us league.

I have signed many quality U18's though, cos I didn't think the reserve squad you start with looked very good. Only 3 or 4 who will ever get near the first team i think, but the U18 team looks pretty good.

Mehamha looks OK, on FM07 he never quite made first team for me, but was close.

Does anyone else not have a reserve league? Or is this something i have missed in the settings somewhere? Concerned, none of my reserves are getting any game time, and are all severley lacking match fitness. I had Fred in reserves to gain match fitness and only realised after about 2 weeks that he wasn't playing any games! icon_confused.gif

france doesn't have a reserve competition mate you should have known this seeing that you played last years version with lyon also icon_confused.gif

anyway put your best reserve players to your feederclubs mate problem solved unless you want to use them offcourse

my champions league group has been drawn and my nighmare of last FM07 has returned have to play chelsea again icon_frown.gif, also sporting from portugal and levski sofia are in the group so tbh i'm aiming for second place which is still good offcourse unless i beat those boys at home icon_biggrin.gif

It's ok, i worked out that i am officially an idiot. I didn't select the CFA-B league when doing what leagues to play. So now i do have reserve team games, but have started again. So here i go again!! Will try to get same transfer targets as last time, although may not bother with Eddie Johnson, as he ties up a non Eu place.

Originally posted by Aspirin:

It's ok, i worked out that i am officially an idiot. I didn't select the CFA-B league when doing what leagues to play. So now i do have reserve team games, but have started again. So here i go again!! Will try to get same transfer targets as last time, although may not bother with Eddie Johnson, as he ties up a non Eu place.

didn't do it either but i'm not going to restart again after this season all my reserve team will be loaned out so no problem there

Just thought that players would progress better if they were playing football as opposed to just training.

Have got most of wanted targets this time, and also got Saivet for £0, and saved £500k on Zarate, although some others have cost me a little more.

Originally posted by Aspirin:

Just thought that players would progress better if they were playing football as opposed to just training.

Have got most of wanted targets this time, and also got Saivet for £0, and saved £500k on Zarate, although some others have cost me a little more.

is that zarate guy any good because i have my doubt i looked into him too but didn't go for him

anyway couldn't sign any youngsters because they all (???) wanted to stay with their team

so i bought banega instead a 19 year old argentinian DM who looks very promising indeed icon_wink.gif

just something to say :

benzema is red hot in this game no question about it and irl henry said that benzema is his succesor and will be even better icon_cool.gif

but what do i see when i look in my game in the -18 squad of lyon there is a player Lacazette (sp) who's description is "being touted as the next thierry henry" icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

now i have two this is just upper icon_cool.gif

Archived