Total Football: Tic-Tac Magick

If you've tried the tactic, please answer: Are you having success with this tactic?  

547 members have voted

1. 1. If you've tried the tactic, please answer: Are you having success with this tactic?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to all masterminds here : Counter attack is ticked on or not ?

i've been using the tactic but i lost all my tactics ( tweaks of this one ) so now i'm a bit confused about the counter attack option .

will post more in a few days but please help me out on this one ;)

Sweez, I've used this tactic as a basis for my tactics in both FM2011 and 2012 and I've never found counter-attacking to be effective. Counter-attacking sides generally want to draw the opponent out of their defensive confort zone before launching a quick attack. With these tactics however you're closing them down fairly high up the pitch, so it would seem to be a bit at odds with the counter-attacking idea.

• 3 weeks later...

AWESOME .. i love ur tactic !!! cheers

There will be an update coming soon. I'm quite excited about this development, but I need to test it properly. Early signs are good, but we all know how quickly things can change in FM :p I'll test for 20 games, then release.

nice 1 enjoyed your last 1. would we be able to use player filters what was made for last year

There will be an update coming soon. I'm quite excited about this development, but I need to test it properly. Early signs are good, but we all know how quickly things can change in FM :p I'll test for 20 games, then release.

Nice one mate. As you know, I was a big fan of your tactics.

**FM12 UPDATE**

12.1.1 244099(m.e. v993)

OK, I've tested it for 15 games so far and I'm getting consistent results. I'm not going to get much time to play this over the next week so I'll release it for others to test.

I've seen some beautiful passing displays from the midfield and more chances created than the previous version.

Basically, I wasn't happy with the previous FM12 versions of this tactic as it seemed my players were giving the ball away too cheaply. To combat this, I reduced the mentality of the team so that it was in the region of 5-8-11.

GK: 5

FBL: 8

CBL: 5

CBR: 5

FBR: 8

MCL: 11

MCC: 5

MCR (PLAYMAKER): 8

AML: 8

AMR: 8

STC: 11

However, I found the two wide forwards (AML, AMR) weren't really attacking enough. I increased their mentality to 11 and they began to play more direct, taking on players and making more attack minded runs. This then gave me the idea to reduce the MCL mentality slightly, so that his focus was on maintaining possession. The new mentality looks like this:

GK: 5

FBL: 8

CBL: 5

CBR: 5

FBR: 8

MCL: 8

MCC: 5

MCR (PLAYMAKER): 8

AML: 11

AMR: 11

STC: 11

The next thing I noticed was my MCL and MCR were playing nice possession passes but weren't playing the through balls when they had the opportunity. To combat this I tried having through balls set to often, but this meant they were trying balls which weren't really intelligent. I reduced their through balls to mixed again and increased their creative freedom by 3 notches. This lead to more intelligent through balls, as it was their attributes which were coming more into play (Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas have insane attributes for creativity, passing and decisions).

Other changes I've made:

- Increased Closing Down for the whole team. It is now spread as 15-18-21 across the team.

- Removed Roam from Position for Xavi and Iniesta. They now stay more central, allowing team mates to find them more easily.

- Added Roam from Position to the STC

GK: Valdes

FBL: Adriano/Maxwell

CBL: Puyol

CBR: Pique

FBR: Alves

MCL: Iniesta

MCC: Mascherano/Busquets

MCR (PLAYMAKER): Xavi

AML: Villa

AMR: Pedro/Sanchez

STC: Messi

Anyway, the tactic is below. I haven't tried this with any other team and I'll also say this is a tactic designed to create possession based Total Football. It's not really designed to emulate Barcelona football in the sense of Xavi having 6million passes :p But it is meant to emulate the style of football they play.

Hope you enjoy.

P.S. Don’t forget that Tempo should be altered at times. You can get away with the current settings in the majority of matches, but if you find yourselves under heavy pressure then you may want to increase it. I usually look out for two types of interception:

1. Opposition pressing heavily and winning the ball back in my half/midfield = Increase Tempo until this has been neutralised. (Tempo settings 1, 4, 7, 10/11, 14, 17, 20 aka in terms of clicks 0, 3, 6, 9/10, 13, 16, 19)

2. Team are playing slightly too fast so the ball is being “forced” forward too quickly, thus interceptions are happening around the opposition defence. This is rare but happens when the opposition basically aren’t closing down at all. I then lower the Tempo.

You’ll have to watch the match on extended to pick this up. You’ll notice you are maintaining less possession. When you make a change, watch the game on full for a little bit to see the effects.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hil1e806b2ke4l1

StayingPower7: Is the tactic on fluid yet? I've found long shots were reduced once the tactic was fluid and the wide players were making better runs.

If you want, try setting the AML/AMR to Long Shots Rarely. I have them mixed so as they cut inside and shoot from edge of area.

Long Shots I've found covers shots from edge of the area, which is sometimes needed in certain situations.

Thanks for the feedback.

FC Den Bosch (Dutch 2nd division)

Hmmm...this could be the problem. The tactic will require excellent attributes from the midfielders to create the passes and from the forwards to find space.

I haven't tried this for weaker teams, but you could increase the width by 4/7 clicks and and increase the passing by 4 clicks. The added width may give your players more room to find space and the increase passing length should mean more passing options for your players. However, it might make the tactic a bit loose in defence.

How are you finding the defensive side of the tactic?

The possession is great but I'm not getting very many shots on target at all. I think this is because all my players are trying shots from outside the box that inevitably go wide. Is there any way to get them to stop doing that?

Mate,PPM's in this game have an effect on players that leads them to overrule the tactical setup..and it's directions as a result.so check to see if ur players have shoots from distance as ppm.

And on other notice since this ppm situation came up,ppm's overrule other regulations in a tactic as well.So we all should keep in mind when trying a certain tactic whether or not we have in our team players who go along with the tactic.

so if u want a player to make runs often but he has comes deep to get the ball,he'll often come deep than look for the run.

or u want him not to run at all but he has runs often as ppm he'll (although not everytime) will run forward..so when i played Gerrard as a playmaker,i put his for.runs to rarely to at least keep him from going up like a mad man :)

anyway to keep it short i would suggest everyone who want to take a tactic and benefit the most from it to pay as much attention to ppm's as other things.

Thanx...

MAGİCK_FOOTBALL,love the way u explain things when u make a change in ur tac. or explain a philosophy.U'd make a great coach in that aspect :D

By the way i'm still playing FM 11.For 2 reasons mainly.i'll wait til the patches r out.And more importantly i'm still trying to make 100% season overall..i mean every single game..the closest i came was two draws and a penalty shootout loss in the FA cup finals.

An other thing is i am, i guess for the last 6-7 seasons maybe more (15 seasons in the game) i'm playing this beautiful tac. as a 4-4-2 Flat..And either my team got better and stronger (as matter of fact it really did) or the 4-4-2 created much much more clearcut poss. for me.More scoring poss. by far.and more goals. i think never been less than 120 goals since then.

and i concede between 10-20 goals.

But..i have to say that my team might be even better than the real life Barca right now.So i dont think how valuable my info is.

Still the minute i changed from 4-3-2-1 to 4-4-2 flat way more scoring opportunities.

i'm not really trying to prove anything here.Love MAGİCK_FOOTBALL's work.But i remember some people here wanted to mix this lovely way of poss. football with more goals.This might be worth a shot.

zinedremomeri: Thanks for that :)

The 4-4-2 you mention is something which is interesting. From an FM perspective, I prefer tactics with 2 strikers -- they seem to both occupy the 2 opposition CBs a lot more than a lone striker.

I also don't find the 2 wide players in FM to be as effective as real life. In order to get them making consistent diagonal runs, you have to play them in a 3man strikeforce -- but this then means you don't get the passing options for the midfielders, as they are positioned higher up the pitch and their starting position is narrower.

Don't hesitate in releasing your 4-4-2 tactic. These modifications only make the tactic and benefit us all :thup:

Thanx a lot for that.

i would like to release it if anybody asks for it.i'm no tactical guru like urself :) so it might be interesting for me to c if anybody who is really good at modifying tactics could get it to be better.

i'll try ur new mental and closing down approach this season with the 4-4-2 and seek my ever awaited flawless season... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm using the default home and away tactics in my 2018 save with Arsenal, and the results have been fantastic. We really look like Barcelona out there. I think you need the right players for this to work -- great all-around midfielders, world-class fullbacks, and strong central defenders. But with the right squad, you can dominate. Right now we've only conceded 5 goals through 14 games and haven't lost yet, and are dominating possession in the process. The interesting thing is that the tactic, for me, has yielded a lot of goals but they're distributed pretty evenly across all my midfielders and forwards. My striker won't lead the league in scoring, but I have 5 or 6 players in the top 20 in scoring.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived