Training Schedules Poll - what do you do?

What is your approach to creating trainig schedules?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. What is your approach to creating trainig schedules?

• I work really hard at my schedules and even design some for individual players!
    • I design schedules based on player roles
    • I design schedules for each position in my side
    • I design schedules to improve certain areas of a player's game (e.g. fitness or technique training)
    • I download some training schedules from another user
    • I don't bother - I just use the default schedules
    • I don't think the training actually works, so I leave it alone
    • I don't care about training at all
    • Training schedules? What training schedules?
    • Other - please state

Do you worry that your players' development might be affected though?

No as I've yet to fail to find a decent set of training schedules that give decent improvement on my players. Yes it won't be perfect but it means I don't have to delve into the menus to do it myself.

No as I've yet to fail to find a decent set of training schedules that give decent improvement on my players. Yes it won't be perfect but it means I don't have to delve into the menus to do it myself.

Oh I see, so you download them. I thought you meant that you use the default, hence my question.

Never touched the training.

It's all handled - and that's the way it should be. You're the manager, not the coach. You hire the coaches and let them do their job.

Similarly - I'm not a scout, i'm the manager, but I spend way too much time finding the right player

It's all handled - and that's the way it should be. You're the manager, not the coach. You hire the coaches and let them do their job.

Similarly - I'm not a scout, i'm the manager, but I spend way too much time finding the right player

I reckon that attitude is purely down to the level you are managing at, isn't it? Fine if you're managing a Prem club, but get down into the conference and below (probably at many football league clubs as well) and managers are head coaches, scouts, directors of football etc. all in one.

Oh I see, so you download them. I thought you meant that you use the default, hence my question.

From my testing with the default scgedules for half a season I concluded that:

- At a top level team with good training facilities, the development is there but it's mainly on the very basic areas of the schedule. Which means that a full back won't develop much his attacking attributes, but more his attributes that match with the centre backs. So this may not be the best option if using a 'Fluid/Very Fluid' tactical approach.

- For lower league teams the default schedules are more than enough, because the training facilities are so basic and the players' quality is so limited that the development would never be much.

When the next patch comes out I'll start a new save and use the default schedules. As with the default tactics, if they're in the game they have to be of some utility and give some results.

The benefit of using detailed and considered training regimes in the lower leagues is that even taking into account the standard of facilities and limited potential for growth of your players, it isn't difficult to improve a player to the degree whereby his own and your team's performances are transformed as a result.

Actually getting the attributes to move in the correct direction is the biggest challenge I find, but once it occurs everything is relative. Take for example a player with 9's in most of his relevent attributes. Even if he improves them to 12's, or even 11's, he's still not going to be top level material, however this can be enough for him to go from being a run of the mill player to an absolute superhero at his current level of competition. This doesn't require a gigantic amount of unused potential, and is often well within the scope of players readily available in the lower reaches. You have to really bear in mind where you're playing, temper your expectations, and don't expect to be turning every 16 year old you come across from complete dross into the next Christiano Ronaldo. A good deal of patience helps as well, as I find that match experience is very much more important to developing player abilities in situations where the facilities and coaches are not on a par with the top drawer. If you're expecting just to stick your youths on a schedule, dump them in the U-18's, and watch their attributes explode with little or no further involvement as seems to happen in the best of circumstances, then you're likely to be disappointed. Playing them regularly is vital in my experience, far, far more so than at top clubs.

I download them.

In past versions, I used Tug's Training which I loved. He didn't make it this year, so I made due with the default schedules (which this year aren't too bad) until I found a schedule someone had made which I liked. I tried making my own for the first time this year and had mixed results.

I take it this means you leave training on default? Do you worry that your players' development might be affected?

I reckon that attitude is purely down to the level you are managing at, isn't it? Fine if you're managing a Prem club, but get down into the conference and below (probably at many football league clubs as well) and managers are head coaches, scouts, directors of football etc. all in one.

Very good point. :thup:

Also, I would argue that even some top flight managers are often stronger on the coaching side, or on the buying players side of things, or sometimes they are literally just managers with support in other areas.

The benefit of using detailed and considered training regimes in the lower leagues is that even taking into account the standard of facilities and limited potential for growth of your players, it isn't difficult to improve a player to the degree whereby his own and your team's performances are transformed as a result.

Actually getting the attributes to move in the correct direction is the biggest challenge I find, but once it occurs everything is relative. Take for example a player with 9's in most of his relevent attributes. Even if he improves them to 12's, or even 11's, he's still not going to be top level material, however this can be enough for him to go from being a run of the mill player to an absolute superhero at his current level of competition. This doesn't require a gigantic amount of unused potential, and is often well within the scope of players readily available in the lower reaches.

This is why I have different training regimes too - getting your winger's crossing up from 9 to 11 can make all the difference in the world to your team. Who cares that his tackling stayed at 2 rather than possibly rising to the giddy heights of 3 in the meantime?

I don't think it matters a great deal tbh, I just use defaults because you can still win everything using default training.

Just depends on players/tactics that you have to be successful.

This is true, as it's not difficult to buy your way into success if you can afford it. Developing players isn't even a necessity with smaller teams, but it's more satisfying if you like that kind of thing.

I don't think it matters a great deal tbh, I just use defaults because you can still win everything using default training.

Just depends on players/tactics that you have to be successful.

It's not essential no, but I think that as the save goes by and you want to develop the youngsters and improve the club's facilities you want to optimize every aspect of the game. Things like training schedules, team talks and press conferences are tools to get 99% out of what you have instead of getting only like 80%.

I make individual training schedules for all players who are on a full time contract, even though i'm only in the Blue Square Premier and have basic facilities. I have a feeling i'm probably wasting my time. :) But i don't like to leave it to chance, particularly as i focus on signing young players who can still improve.

Does anybody have another link for this calculator or can point me in the right direction to download it? the link for the download on that one is no good. i am quite interested to try this out.

• 1 month later...
Does anybody have another link for this calculator or can point me in the right direction to download it? the link for the download on that one is no good. i am quite interested to try this out.

You must register in that forum to download the file.

Archived