The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Kiev have seemingly offered £5.5million to Rangers for Kris Boyd... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Kiev can go chase after someone else.

5.5m is better than a kick in the baws tbh.

That should get youse at least another member of the Lyon team. Boyd is a funny yin as he does what is required of a striker, and what more do you want from a striker, but he is tremendously **** in many other aspects of his game. I'm not saying he's ****, I just don't think he's got anything other to his game other than scoring. There again that's the whole point of playing football- to score. This probably makes no sense whatsoever tbh.

Love the last sentence... icon_biggrin.gif

The story is obviously crap but like you say £5.5million isn't to be sniffed at. I've watched Boyd closely over the last few months and, you're right, he's not the best all-round player. His link up play is average, his first touch often poor, he's not all that great at holding the ball up and his work rate has to improve.

But, and it's a big BUT, his finishing is excellent, his postioning is excellent, his goals record is sensational, he will score goals against any opposition given time and he can only get better under better coaching staff.

Moreover, if you consider his top 5 placing in the Golden Boot competition then £5.5million might not actually be enough to replace with him with an equally lethal goalscorer - however tempting this offer may first appear.

• SI Staff

I wouldn't even say Boyd's finishing is excellent. There's times when he misses some very easy chances but at the end of the day he gets to the right place at the right time and puts the baw in the pokey.

Kiev can take their £5.5m and ram it where the sun don't shine.

My point was (I think), he'd be a terrible player for a team that don't create too many chances. Before he went too Rangers I don't think he scored against the likes of Hearts, Hibs or Celtic. Why? Because Killie tended to deploy a defensive approach, thus nullifying his threat.

He'll do well at Rangers only because they create so many chances per game.

I see what you're trying to say (I think) but this is a record of an improving player in every sense. And last season he did score against Rangers, Hibs and Hearts.

Of course he would have scored less at a team like Killie. They just don't create many chances for penalty box type players like Boyd. But at Rangers we spend more time in opposition penalty boxes and he'll score more given improvement and the chance to play against the better teams.

2005/06 - 32 SPL goals in 33 starts

2004/05 - 17 SPL goals in 29 starts

2003/04 - 15 SPL goals in 31 starts

2002/03 - 12 SPL goals in 17 starts

2001/02 - 5 SPL goals in 11 starts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marco Vicente:

laurent robert is signing in for rangers. nice to see the **** is leaving icon14.gif

I feel sorry about you though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, seen this in the French press. Can't see it myself unless he takes a large wage cut and a huge personality change...

icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Game is live on BBC.co.uk. Now work this morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully it will work on Sky Digital as well

Can't see much chance of Boydie going anywhere.

True, that money is not too be laughed at but c'mon his goal tally says it all. I doubt there is even any thought of selling him. I doubt he'd liked to move to Kiev either after only 6 months at Rangers.

I can't understand Boydy doubters, especially among the Rangers fans. Since Coisty we've been needing a replacement goalscorer, but with the brief exceptions of Michael Mols, Rod Wallace and Novo for one season each, all we've had is strikers who can do the business outside the box but not inside.

Now we have the penalty box striker who can get 30 goals a season (lets hope to god he's not a one season wonder), lets revel in it and concentrate on getting attacking players around him to increase Boyds chances.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Boyd and Burke must be starters next year icon14.gif

just makes it even better to know that Celtic withdrew players from the squad and it turned into the Rangers show icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's what happened with players from the third best team in Scotland, we might have won by 8 with everyone there. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, with Burke and Boyd particualrly, and if Frankie and his boys put their hands in the pockets as it's beginning to look like Chairman Dave isn't going to dig deep to help Le Guen, and Mad Vlad continues to splash, someone's, cash, then next season could be brilliant!

icon14.gif

From one of the Benfica fans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> according to Jornal a Bola page 7 its a done deal, he just couldn't get use to the pressure of portuguese soccer, the demand of the fans, special of late with boo's and jeers.

his going to be coach by Paul Le Guen a coach the know Laurent style of play,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can't handle the Pressure or the demand of the fans? He wont last 6 months here then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

From one of the Benfica fans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> according to Jornal a Bola page 7 its a done deal, he just couldn't get use to the pressure of portuguese soccer, the demand of the fans, special of late with boo's and jeers.

his going to be coach by Paul Le Guen a coach the know Laurent style of play,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can't handle the Pressure or the demand of the fans? He wont last 6 months here then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benfica would probably want to get rid of him so that they could sign Le Bob.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Os escoceses demonstram grande interesse no guarda-redes e estão na disposição de apresentar propostas vantajosas ao guarda-redes e aos leões - nem um nem outros, porém, estarão muito receptivos ao negócio

J.P.L./M.C.

Os escoceses do Glasgow Rangers estão muito interessados na aquisição do guarda-redes do Sporting Ricardo, estando dispostos, inclusive, a fazer chegar a Alvalade uma proposta que satisfaça as - antigas - pretensões leoninas para encetar negociações por uma eventual transferência (aproximadamente dez milhões de euros), pretendendo oferecer ao jogador um contrato com elevados vencimentos.

O Rangers está apostado em construir um grande plantel para recuperar a hegemonia na liga escocesa (esta temporada terminaram em 3º lugar, a seguir a Celtic e Hearts), e para ser igualmente competitivos nas competições europeias e, nesse contexto, cobiçam o dono da baliza do Sporting e da Selecção Nacional.

A SAD sportinguista, no entanto, não está disposta a abdicar do titular indiscutível da baliza e um dos esteios defensivos da equipa, e o próprio jogador, apesar do atractivo monetário, encontra-se também renitente, face ao carácter pouco competitivo da liga escocesa.

Empresário garante que Ricardo quer ficar

Nuno Baptista, representante de Ricardo, garantiu a O JOGO que a intenção do atleta passa por permanecer em Alvalade, até porque ainda não alcançou o objectivo a que se propôs: ser campeão. Ausente de Portugal, o empresário foi peremptório na abordagem a esta matéria. "Não estou a par dessas notícias, mas posso adiantar que será muito difícil que Ricardo deixe o Sporting. Tal como o próprio jogador já afirmou, a sua intenção passa por ficar no clube e sagrar-se campeão de leão ao peito, que é o seu principal objectivo. Ficamos contentes se existir interesse de outros clubes, pois isso representa o reconhecimento do seu trabalho, mas o futuro de Ricardo passa pelo Sporting", assegurou o agente do guarda-redes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We need to get Marco or one of the other Portuguese speakers in here to translate icon_biggrin.gif

Babelfish gives me the jist of it tho, 10m euros ffs.

I think Robert was probably the replacement for Lovenkrands I read about if he goes.

I'm sure he wanted a wage rise but and that's why he rejected the offer a few months ago. It dosn't look like he's been given one this time either but there's meant to be a few nice bonus clause etc in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I'm sure both Hearts and Celtic are quaking in their boots about now icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not now but next week you might be...

Mnsr Le Guen teases us...

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

Rongers World icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That French accent affected me in the same way Lennon's Irish brogue turns on Spiers... icon_biggrin.gif

Archived