The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Didn't Le Guen and Robert play together at PSG or something?

Maybe they are buddies and he won't have any problems if he does come. I'm sure Le Guen would be able to get the best from people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Didn't Le Guen and Robert play together at PSG or something?

Maybe they are buddies and he won't have any problems if he does come. I'm sure Le Guen would be able to get the best from people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed they did...

Can't say I'm too enthused at Robert, but we do need to bulk up our squad on the left hand side, so if Robert is being brought in as an experienced squad player, then fair enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I'm sure both Hearts and Celtic are quaking in their boots about now icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not now but next week you might be...

Mnsr Le Guen teases us...

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will he be announcing that he hopes to get Dublin on a free?

• SI Staff

Robert isn't a bad player tbh, he just hasn't seemed very happy at Newcastle, Portsmouth and now Benfica.

It would certainly be a risky move, especially if there is a fee involved.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

yeah, because internet people know football better than Paul le Guen icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Was actually quite good for you, vidmar icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vidmar icon_smile.gif

rumour #18272 - Steed Malbranque

I'd love to see him at Ibrox

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> SOURCES at Ibrox say that Rangers will move to sign Fulham's Steed Malbranque after the prolific French midfielder turned down the "best offer in Fulham's history" last night and was transfer-listed by the West London club.

The 26-year-old is understood to be on a list of potential signings handed to Rangers chairman David Murray by incoming manager Paul Le Guen. However, while the Ibrox club can match Malbranque's salary expectations, they would balk at the £10m price tag placed upon the Frenchman, who has just 12 months left on his contract, by manager Chris Coleman.

"Steed Malbranque has not accepted our offer and has indicated that he wants to leave Fulham next summer on a free transfer," said a Fulham spokesman. "This has clear financial implications and is unacceptable, so with immediate effect the board will listen to offers from all clubs for Steed's immediate transfer."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sionko insists it's Ibrox for him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CZECH striker Libor Sionko has a clear idea about his future. He wants to join Rangers tomorrow, to play for his country at the World Cup, then return to Glasgow to lead the Ibrox club "to where they belong", at the top of the Scottish Premierleague.

Although Rangers have distanced themselves from speculation that Sionko will sign in Glasgow tomorrow, Austria Vienna confirmed that their midfielder had packed his bags in readiness for the move.

"We did not pull our option on a contract extension for Libor, as he made it clear that his future was in Glasgow," said FK Austria's sporting director, Peter Stoger. "We made him a new offer, but we cannot compete against Rangers."

Sionko revealed: "My agent, Pavel Zika, was up in Scotland for negotiations, and returned with a concrete offer in his hands. I had time to consider and compare it for the last couple of days, and it was on me to decide. That I have done now.

"I might have stayed in Vienna, had they offered me a three-year contract. But they couldn't, so I chose to leave.

"I have basically achieved all there was to win with Austria Vienna, and I could well imagine taking the next step in my career. Rangers are a fantastic side, and it would certainly be a huge leap ahead,"

In Austria, Sionko won the double with Grazer AK and Austria Vienna, plus another cup with the latter.

"This season's league title with FK Austria is my fifth altogether. I already won the Czech league with Sparta Prague and the Austrian with Grazer AK. But I am ready for more, and I am sure I can achieve that in Glasgow."

Sionko, with yet another Austrian double safe in his baggage, received an official farewell after his side defeated SV Mattersburg 3-0 in their cup final. "That was my goodbye from Vienna. It was great here, but I am really looking forward to the new challenge in Scotland."

The 29-year-old player spoke to Hearts' Rudi Skacel to learn more about conditions in Scotland.

"Scottish football has proven to be good soil for Czech players. Just think of the success Lubo [Moravcik, from Slovakia] had up there with Celtic. The same currently happens to Rudi [skacel] and Hearts, so why not for me at Rangers, too?

"A couple of Bundesliga clubs approached me too, but I want to win a title and play in Europe. Rangers are definitely the best option. The team, its spirit and the atmosphere at the club were great in Vienna. But in Glasgow everything is a good deal bigger."

Although French teams Strasbourg and Monaco and several German clubs had been linked with the player, he stressed: "I really want to play for Rangers, as they are one of the most famous clubs in the world. They have a great team, great fans, a packed stadium in every match and most important, they can play in Europe."

Sionko was part of Sparta Prague's Champions League team, and has gained much experience at European level. His greatest moment came when he scored a double for Austria Vienna against Athletico Bilbao in the UEFA Cup in 2005. After a goal-less draw in Vienna, the Austrians defeated the favoured Spaniards 2-1 on aggregate to reach the last 16.

"I am planning to stay in Glasgow for a longer spell and win some silverware. Therefore, I was aiming for at least a three-year deal. But if they give me a piece of paper Monday that bound me for four years, I would agree."

The versatile Czech internationalist is set to replace Thomas Buffel in midfield. The Belgian completed a £2.5m move to Ibrox in January 2005, and manager Alex McLeish initially had high hopes for the then 23-year-old, who had fallen out of favour with Feyenoord boss Ruud Gullit.

The Czech player is eager to get to know Paul Le Guen, who is taking over from McLeish. "Le Guen has known me since my European Cup displays for Sparta Prague, and has been chasing me since then. And although he did not have the time to come in person recently, he sent his assistants over to watch me play on several occasions."

Le Guen identified Sionko as one of at least six positions in the Rangers line-up which need to be beefed up, and the Czech has high hopes.

"Le Guen is a very good coach, who has already proven his great skill in Lyon. I have not met him in person yet, but I am very keen on getting to know his style of training.

After joining Prague from his hometown club, Banik Ostrava, Sionko played in midfield before Karel Poborsky signed with Sparta and took precedence in the starting XI. However, Sionko showed his versatility, moving up to an attacking role and improving his striking skills.

"I scored more often than Karel, and when he was injured, I regained my old midfield spot, and played there till I left the club."

Sionko is keen to complete the Bosman transfer arrangements quickly and to have his future resolved before travelling to the World Cup with Karel Brückner's squad.

"I will sign the contract on Monday, and this could turn into an even bigger day, as the Czech World Cup team will be announced the same day," he declared.

According to Sionko, who played for his native land at the 2000 Olympic Games football tournament in Sydney, the Czech team are "mighty strong these days - and if all our injured players return, we can go a long, long way."

At the forthcoming World Cup, the Czech Republic will contest preliminary group E with Italy, Ghana and the United States, and Sionko is convinced that the team can do well: "In football anything can happen. Look at the Greeks at the Euro 2004. They did not have the best players, nor were they the most talented team. But they were definitely the best-organised and most consolidated team of all.

"Maybe I will come to Glasgow as a World Cup winner," the player added - sporting a wide grin.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLG has been doing his Eastern European research I take it then, Sionko sounds a good signing, although we did say that about Capucho, Emerson...was going to say Ostenstadt (but I think we all knew he'd turn out to be pish) icon_wink.gif

just have to look at Rudi Skacel and the players Hearts have found this year to know that there is bargains out there and Sionko could be one, plus it will either mean the end of Buffel at Ibrox, or it will be the boot up the arse he seems to need looking at the last few games for us

even though the two countries have unified, think of one of the players Celtic bought from Slovakia who in no certain terms turned out to be a magician with the ball, I'm talking about Lubo Morvacik icon14.gif I'm sure a lot of us were laughing when Celtic decided to pay 300k for him, and then you saw what a great signing he was - just a good thing that Celtic didnt notice him earlier icon_wink.gif enough of the Celti c praise though, starting to feel a bit manky icon_biggrin.gif

Steed is a no chance, unless Fulham knock down that price and he wants European football not huge wages. Only place he could get 50k+ a week is the Premiership, so I'm expecting he wants a new challenge and European football, rather than a big pay day. I also knew that we would get linked with him as soon as I saw that story a few days ago icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

even though the two countries have unified, think of one of the players Celtic bought from Slovakia who in no certain terms turned out to be a magician with the ball, I'm talking about Lubo Morvacik icon14.gif I'm sure a lot of us were laughing when Celtic decided to pay 300k for him, and then you saw what a great signing he was - just a good thing that Celtic didnt notice him earlier icon_wink.gif enough of the Celti c praise though, starting to feel a bit manky icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll think you'll find the Czech's and the Slovaks did the opposite of unify. icon_smile.gif

Agree with your comments entirely though - but imagine if we did get Steed, he'd be the new Gio :Saliva:

Waterreus has done fine in his time here. Kos as well although his wages and his future are really compatible.

As such I'd like to see some money invested in a good young goalie who we can keep for a number of years. But as long as Klos remains at the club, then the money men won't be too keen in spending it on another keeper. Especially £5million on the likes of Ricardo... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Second worst kept secret in French football this season icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently so... icon_biggrin.gif

Was hoping we were in the running though. Hearts said yes, head said no - as is the case with most of the targets we've been linked with so far.

Hoping to get some gen this weekend from a few folk.

anyone not think that is Riordan situation is pretty similar to the one we had with Zurab at Dundee?

I noticed it in the paper today, but Celtic werent being called "penny pinchers" like we were at the time...surely it's the same thing that we did? except Dundee wanted us to go to a tribunal and they lost, I think we were going to pay something towards Zurab?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

anyone not think that is Riordan situation is pretty similar to the one we had with Zurab at Dundee?

I noticed it in the paper today, but Celtic werent being called "penny pinchers" like we were at the time...surely it's the same thing that we did? except Dundee wanted us to go to a tribunal and they lost, I think we were going to pay something towards Zurab? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

riordan isnt a signing for the present, but one for the future, according to Strachan, therefore, we dont really need him immediately.

• SI Staff

Be interesting to see where Riordan fits in as he's a similar player to Maloney IMO.

You also have Hartson (if he's sticking around), Zurawski and Miller up front so it will be hard for him to get a game.

Another possible reason for signing Riordan is the new UEFA rules on home based, home bred, home whatever way they make it up in the future rules.

It's the same reasoning behind Rangers taking Boyd instead of some foreign bosman striker, which has so far worked out wonderfully for both parties.

Celtic are now well ahead of the new rules coming in with around 10 or 12 Scottish qualified or Scottish born players in and around the first team squad.

• SI Staff

Same with Rangers. We've got quite a few Scottish boys around the first team and hopefully Le Guen will continue to allow the development of some of our younger players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

Hopefully a clip of him in action ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.sport1.at/pub/Fussball/Spieler_at/857.html

Go to the drop down box besides TORE / TORVIDEOS

6 goals in total to see

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

I noticed it in the paper today, but Celtic werent being called "penny pinchers" like we were at the time...surely it's the same thing that we did? except Dundee wanted us to go to a tribunal and they lost, I think we were going to pay something towards Zurab? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

riordan isnt a signing for the present, but one for the future, according to Strachan, therefore, we dont really need him immediately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riordan will be almost 24 when he signs for Celtic if he signs in January 2007, surely he would have some sort of immediate role to play...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

Hopefully a clip of him in action ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

6 goals in total to see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

couple of goodies in there icon14.gif good find

6 goals in total to see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent Frankie icon14.gif

He seems to have a right good hit on him, outside the box aswell. Impressive icon_smile.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Killie1869:

riordan isnt a signing for the present, but one for the future, according to Strachan, therefore, we dont really need him immediately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riordan will be almost 24 when he signs for Celtic if he signs in January 2007, surely he would have some sort of immediate role to play... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YPOTY for next season sorted already icon14.gif

Archived