The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

has anyone got any footage of this bloke?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankie posted some above, Davie boy.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

has anyone got any footage of this bloke?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankie posted some above, Davie boy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks DM icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Another possible reason for signing Riordan is the new UEFA rules on home based, home bred, home whatever way they make it up in the future rules.

It's the same reasoning behind Rangers taking Boyd instead of some foreign bosman striker, which has so far worked out wonderfully for both parties.

Celtic are now well ahead of the new rules coming in with around 10 or 12 Scottish qualified or Scottish born players in and around the first team squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the home bred ruling was to do with bringing players through your own youth system - there's no way that Riordan (or Boyd) could possibly count as homegrown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Another possible reason for signing Riordan is the new UEFA rules on home based, home bred, home whatever way they make it up in the future rules.

It's the same reasoning behind Rangers taking Boyd instead of some foreign bosman striker, which has so far worked out wonderfully for both parties.

Celtic are now well ahead of the new rules coming in with around 10 or 12 Scottish qualified or Scottish born players in and around the first team squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the home bred ruling was to do with bringing players through your own youth system - there's no way that Riordan (or Boyd) could possibly count as homegrown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im going by FM, but its 4 homegrown at your club, and 8 from Scotland icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

By the start of the 2008-9 season, the minimum number of homegrown players required per club will rise to eight - four plus four. In other words, almost one third of the total squad size of 25.

Pressed enter too soon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's about time the SPL changed its rules regarding under 21 players - it's time for 2 in the starting XI with a further 2 on the bench.

Yeah it is a fine interview although he kept is cards close to his chest.

Not really anything OTT or controversial, but he comes across as a nice guy, confident, motivated and aware of what he wants.

It will be really interesting to see just how well he gets on with the Scottish media and our game in general.

Can't wait to hear the 2nd part.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers manager Paul Le Guen has told Peter Lovenkrands he should decide now on the club's final contract offer.

Bundesliga outfit Schalke are the latest club to hold talks with the 26-year-old Danish forward as he stalls on a new deal at Ibrox.

But Le Guen told Rangers News: "Lovenkrands is a player I would like to keep, but there are limits. It depends on his decision.

"It's up to him now. I understand he has been offered a very good contract."

Spanish clubs Osasuna and Villarreal, plus Italians Roma, are also reportedly interested in Lovenkrands, who had a disappointing domestic season but came to life in the Champions League.

Le Guen, in his first pronouncement since taking over at Ibrox from Alex McLeish, said he had taken note of Lovenkrands' role in helping Rangers to the last 16.

"I watched the Champions League games," he said.

"Rangers had a great season in the Champions League and, yes, I watched his goals."

Le Guen had refused to visit Ibrox while McLeish was in power but has done his homework on all Rangers' games and the club's players.

"I did not want to go to the stadium while Alex was in charge, so I have watched all of the matches on DVD," he said.

"Of course, I know Julien Rodriguez and Dado Prso very well. When I was coach of Lyon, we used to fight against Monaco, so I know these players very well.

"I look forward to working with them. I hope they are happy with Rangers and I hope they are ready to stay with Rangers and work with me."

Meanwhile, Lovenkrands, who has been giving conflicting signals about his future, appears destined to leave Ibrox.

"Schalke is very interesting," he said. "They are among the best in Europe.

"But nothing is settled yet because it is a very important decision for me.

"I need to talk to my agent about what is best for me and I hope there will be a conclusion soon."

But Lovenkrands' agent, Ivan Benes, insists that they are in no hurry to make a decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If 'they' aren't in a hurry to make a decision then it looks like curtains for Peter at Rangers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Good interview, although he didn't mention THE BOYD when asked about Scottish players icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he did mention the Utan icon_biggrin.gif

I doubt he would get away with it under PLG.

Moreover, I wouldn't say he's worked that much harder recently. Just that he was played in his best position as striker not as a winger.

Lovenkrands has shown, because of his pace and his decent finishing, he can be a threat to anyone. he's at an age where he should be entering his prime. PLG would be one manager that could coax that out of him.

• SI Staff

Was just looking at the UEFA Cup ( icon_frown.gif ) participants there and noticed Ràngers FC from Andorra and Randers FC from Denmark.

Could get confusing icon_biggrin.gif

Rangers FC v Ràngers FC could get highly confusing. Or we could have the advance draw situation of Rangers FC v Ràngers FC or Randers FC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Was just looking at the UEFA Cup ( icon_frown.gif ) participants there and noticed Ràngers FC from Andorra and Randers FC from Denmark.

Could get confusing icon_biggrin.gif

Rangers FC v Ràngers FC could get highly confusing. Or we could have the advance draw situation of Rangers FC v Ràngers FC or Randers FC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bizarrely enough I was made aware of Rangers from Andorra just last week and it wasn't through the way you did. And I don't know why I even clicked on this thread.

Ah well. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know why I even clicked on this thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To see if we're taking any more of your players? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know why I even clicked on this thread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To see if we're taking any more of your players? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

PLG Interview - Part 2

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

I'm getting more and more excited with every interview I see.

What I like most is his quite optimism and ambition - no shouting from the rooftops, making optimistic boasts which will leave him with egg on his face should he fail to achieve what he's promised, but none of the negativity that McLeish brought with him.

I don't think the players will have any doubts as to what's expected of them. I'm also looking forward to our first visit to Celtic Park - as I'll hopefully see a team who isn't afraid to leave their own half.

Esthafios Tavlaridis linked strongly again with us in France this afternoon...

Would make a great partner for J-Rod IMO. Would provide a more physcial presence and compliment J-Rod's positional qualities nicely.

We have also apparently approached St Etienne regarding Zakora and Monaco regarding Flavio Roma.

Would certainly like to see some of these rumours and enquiries become more concrete.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

PLG's whacky french shirt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

Nah, its all blurry, green, orange etc. Its just not showing up properly.

I just tried to get a price from Bet365 for us to win the league next year, they said they are waiting until after the World Cup. Anyone heard of any prices?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a good mix icon_smile.gif

Not sure of exact odds yet either, I'd imagine Celtic would be slight favourites over us though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure of exact odds yet either, I'd imagine Celtic would be slight favourites over us though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to get a price now because people some bookies might have us at a decent price. It will probably be something like 5/4 or 6/4.

Reports coming in from Portugal that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Glasgow Rangers and Ricardo had a meeting today at the easily agree, Glasgow Rangers are willing to pay 3X more what Sporting pay a month

Ricardo Salary is of 75 million euros a month/ they will increase to 225 million euros a month

Sporting wants 4 million euros, but Glasgow believes they can get him for less, they will meet asap. Glasgow Rangers wants the deal made before the world cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

something lost in translation there? 225m a month would be fb icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they can afford £158,000,000 per month on one player we might as well just concede the league now. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

something lost in translation there? 225m a month would be fb icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's obviously got the same translator as Mad Vlad.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure of exact odds yet either, I'd imagine Celtic would be slight favourites over us though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to get a price now because people some bookies might have us at a decent price. It will probably be something like 5/4 or 6/4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best I could come up with

Archived