[FM11] Heathxxx Lower League Management Approach

Every time SI release a new version of FM I try to not just download a tactic. I have followed several threads for several years (usually Cleons) which make the game seem so easy. Suffice to say I always fail. I have then tried to stick to tactics that involved a few shouts to improve things. I still struggled.

I followed this thread early on and tried implementing the same but again failed. The thread has lengthened somewhat since with many more tips so I think it is time to revisit "do it yourself"

I want to be able to play FM exactly like you do. I want to understand what I need to change and why I need to change things. Once I have mastered this I want to be able to choose a different formation and win with that too. There is so much good advice in this thread that I think I can do it (I hope). I will likely need your help as I know I will make mistakes.

I will start with exactly the same formation as AFC Telford used to win the league almost unbeaten. That really is a fantastic achievement.

I will use Welling in the BSS who I am just about to start a 3rd season with. We finished one place outside the playoffs last season and the season before lost the playoff 1st round.

My team is probably a top half of the table side so we should be able to at least finish in the playoff positions. Unfortunately we are 200k in debt (recovered 100k last season with the friendly tip) and struggle to pay more than £200 a week to players. I will however start signing players on full time contracts rather than part time. I will also try and follow the players stats needed per position more closely. i.e. I signed a very good left back but he can't cross at all. I will look at the oppositions defence to see how I can use OIs. I will also look at scouting reports to see where we are stronger and look to mark the striking threat or cancel out the supply. I will then see how shouts can work for me.

Please can I ask for your assistance while I try and play the game properly?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been busy with work over the last week, so haven't been online much, or started the second season of my Telford save properly yet.

Still in July 2011 and hunting for a few more players. Think I have most of my BSP squad prepared though, but I do like to have some strength in depth. A nice 4-1 win over FC Twente reserves seems to indicate that the two new strikers I've brought in work well with each other. Slovakian Peter Styvar, alongside a name you may be more familiar with... Francis Jeffers. The former has superb attributes for my target-man forward role, whilst the latter has pretty average ratings for the deep-lying forward role, but he's got good off the ball, which has seen him getting into great space and positions to receive the ball. Ultimately, the better chances you'll get as a striker, are when you get into space and a sight of goal, without a defender next to you. I'm already thinking he'll be a very good signing at this level and I'll be looking to take every advantage of his abilities. "Pass into space" shout will probably be used quite a lot! ;)

Anyhow, will catch up with things and respond to posts a little later. One thing I am going to try though, during pre-season friendlies, is out-swinging corners rather than in-swingers. Most people (myself included) usually use a right-footer taking corners from the left and vice-versa, resulting in in-swinging corners. Although I've got a few goals during the first season from my corner takers aiming at the far-post and my big centre-back set to attack the far-post, I often see the ball go behind him, or that he's arrived to attack the far post ahead of the flight of the ball. Whichever is at fault (though I don't particularly have anyone with great corners attribute), I'll look to see what difference the out swinging corners make.

Every time SI release a new version of FM I try to not just download a tactic. I have followed several threads for several years (usually Cleons) which make the game seem so easy. Suffice to say I always fail. I have then tried to stick to tactics that involved a few shouts to improve things. I still struggled.

I followed this thread early on and tried implementing the same but again failed. The thread has lengthened somewhat since with many more tips so I think it is time to revisit "do it yourself"

I want to be able to play FM exactly like you do. I want to understand what I need to change and why I need to change things. Once I have mastered this I want to be able to choose a different formation and win with that too. There is so much good advice in this thread that I think I can do it (I hope). I will likely need your help as I know I will make mistakes.

I will start with exactly the same formation as AFC Telford used to win the league almost unbeaten. That really is a fantastic achievement.

I will use Welling in the BSS who I am just about to start a 3rd season with. We finished one place outside the playoffs last season and the season before lost the playoff 1st round.

My team is probably a top half of the table side so we should be able to at least finish in the playoff positions. Unfortunately we are 200k in debt (recovered 100k last season with the friendly tip) and struggle to pay more than £200 a week to players. I will however start signing players on full time contracts rather than part time. I will also try and follow the players stats needed per position more closely. i.e. I signed a very good left back but he can't cross at all. I will look at the oppositions defence to see how I can use OIs. I will also look at scouting reports to see where we are stronger and look to mark the striking threat or cancel out the supply. I will then see how shouts can work for me.

RedBlueEagle, there are certainly others in here more on the ball than I am but this thread has helped me, over 2 years now. My advice would be forget Telford (if you are Welling), this for you is all about YOUR club/team - create your own tactic through the creator. I will assume that you know at least the basics and can understand why for example a DL should be playing attacking (wingback) or defending more (defend), if so the creator will guide you and the choices you will need to make will be pretty simple - no right or wrong just a combination. Its like mixing a cocktail setting up a tactic! You can chuck in bits of what you fancy but if it starts to go a nasty colour it may taste rank! Sort your whole team squad by star rating for current ability then work down picking the best players and moulding a formation around them. eg if these were your best players in ascending order:

SC,AMR,DC,GK,SC,SC,DL.DC,DC,DR,DL,MC,DMC,DC,SC,GK,ML,DMC,MC,MR.

I would choose a formation of:

SC, SC

AMR

ML,MC,

DMC

DL,DC,DC,DR

GK

Thats a kind of assymetric 41212, actually most DMC's seem adept at MC so a 442 with the right winger at AMR may be more suitable. The point is in this example, you ignore that you have too many star SC's or DC's or whatever, you use the best players you can utilise in a conventional formation and then once you hace dialled that into the creator just work through the steps - I'd be pretty certain it will give you a sound starting tactic and those gems you havent utilised will make good subs or put pressure on the first choice players for each position. THEN when you have that the shouts advice etc in this trhead should dovetail nicely with your tactic.

Heath, good to hear you're still out there :) I too picked up Jeffers for my second season and he did pretty well. I was playing him in the poacher role though. He tore his hamstring part way through so he only played around 20 games for us but still managed to hit around 16 goals. Not too bad. We didn't get promoted to league 2 (much to my disgust) in my second season, made the playoffs easily but were well beaten by mansfield. It always seems as I get into the last 15 or 10 games of the season, my strikers forget how to score, the opposition keepers become super keepers and the crossbars and posts become super uprights. Very frustrating! :/

Most likely that your opponents develop more respect for your team, thus play more defensively and are harder to break down nmwaldron. Personally, I tend to fight fire with fire and stubbornness with patience. That is to say, I love facing other attacking teams, because games are more open and it's easier to create and exploit spaces. When teams are more defensive, I take a more controlled approach, pass the ball around, prod and probe for chances, try to draw out the opponent.

What you describe, you see a lot of people on these forums claiming that the AI has cracked their tactics. Usually it's after the halfway point in the season and they're likely overachieving or just simply doing well and on a good run of form and results. Simply put, the better your team does, its reputation grows.

So, here's a little "inside" tip...

In the lower leagues, the gap in reputation of clubs isn't much, from the highest in a division, to the lowest.

You go on a good run and sit at the top end of the table for a little while, your club reputation won't too dissimilar to the clubs considered favourites at the start of the season. Now your team is considered a real contender and the AI teams will be mindful of that. They'll generally be more cautious and defensive, especially the lower teams in the league. Sometimes, playing an attacking or overloading strategy will work, if your players are that much better quality or your opponents morale collapses completely. More often than not, you have to be patient and try to draw these defensive teams out, or grind them down by keeping possession and punishing them later in the game when they're tired from chasing after the ball.

When you play against the more defensive teams, the longer a match goes on, sometimes the morale of your players might decline, due to pressure of expectation. That's where you can see forwards missing what look easy chances. Opponents who didn't expect anything from a match against your team, may improve in morale as the clock runs down.

This is why later in the season, my own preference is for the "control" strategy, because I invariably face those teams who "park the bus".

1st season in League one with my Woking save, really frustrating, would get a good run of results against the top teams and then lose to teams below me in the league!!........was tipped to go straight back down at the start of the season and finished 14th and retained the JPT so all in all a very good season.

Have decided to start striping my squad and bringing in new players, think ive reached the limit for some of the guys in the squad, so all the hard work i put in at the beginning of the save starts again!!

Simply put, I'm always looking to improve my team. :)

Tactics are important, but only as good as the players you have to work with. If you have a poor squad overall, you will have a lot of hard work ahead trying to fine tune tactics to draw every last drop of any strong attributes your players do have. A big ask and a lot of attention to detail required. Looking to improve your players at every possible opportunity, is arguably an easier way to improve your chances, than trying to be a tactical genius.

I'm suprised you didn't go for Ismael Fofana Heath, he did a job for me in league one. I wanted to sign him but it was a case between Liam O'Brien or Fofana.

I did approach him at the very start of this save, but he decided to go to an obscure Icelandic team instead. It's possible though that as there was quite a lot of interest in him, plus the fact I always try to haggle wages down, he simply got a better offer.

Seems like you've already got some understanding of the direction you want to head.

Tactically, although I will say it's probably better to use more simplified roles with players at this level, it's entirely up to you what sort of formation and shape you want to use. Being mindful of player attributes and their suitability for any given role, is very important. Roles that show the highlighted key/suggested attributes, are a good place to start. The importance of other attributes, depends on how you want your players and team to play. If you have a lot of technically strong players, you can pass your way around and through teams like a knife through butter. If your team is more physical, then you can be more combativeness and physical against the weaker (literally) opponents.

As mentioned above, keep looking to improve your squad. A few seasons in, there should be quite a lot of good players around who are available on free transfers. If you can, get them on trial and let your coaches look at them. If you've got a good assistant manager with decent Judging Player Ability and Potential (JPA & JPP), then they'll compare them to your existing players. If they're rated more highly than current players, then you need to snap them up. Personally, I look for players who's current ability is rated at three stars or better. Your assistant should base his recommendations on your other squad players, plus how they should rate in comparison with those of other clubs in your division. Someone hitting five stars, will be one of the best in your division. You see someone like that, then snap them up.

Once you get a better feel for player attributes, it does become easier to cherry pick players for your preferred tactics. If you know what you want from your tactics and what style you want your team to adopt, then you'll be able to focus your search for players accordingly. Otherwise, if you're using the tactics wizard to create your tactics, then you'll be able to cycle through different roles to see what best suits the players you do have.

A few friendlies and/or cup runs will help wipe out the debts, but it's no guarantee that you'll have that money as transfer an wage budget available. It will give you more leeway to exceed your wage budget a little and request more from the board if need be.

OI's and media pressure before matches can be valuable tools, but always use caution and common sense. Same with shouts, which are mostly self explanatory, but if unsure, don't forget the sticky in this forum that has links for the online manual definitions.

This is why later in the season, my own preference is for the "control" strategy, because I invariably face those teams who "park the bus".

I use "control" pretty much continually. If we're performing well at half time I'll switch to attacking or if we fall behind and we're favorites I'll switch to attacking too.

So your suggestion would be to use an attacking mentality against teams who are, through your scout report, found to be more attacking and "control" against those who are more defensive or who try to wait for the counter?

I use "control" pretty much continually. If we're performing well at half time I'll switch to attacking or if we fall behind and we're favorites I'll switch to attacking too.

So your suggestion would be to use an attacking mentality against teams who are, through your scout report, found to be more attacking and "control" against those who are more defensive or who try to wait for the counter?

Pretty much, but that's based on my confidence in my own team. In all fairness, I've assembled a team which I believe is superior to most if not all opponents in my division. The only teams that'll be on a par in the BSP this next season I expect, will be Luton, Port Vale and Darlington, media favourites one to three in that order. They also have pretty good squads overall. To my advantage though, I can assume that as they'll be considered strong favourites, they'll probably come at my team all guns blazing when I face them. I'll fight fire with fire though ;)

Attacking teams, if you have a decent side yourself, or are utilising player attributes and roles well enough, can actually be easier opponents to beat. Lot's of open play and space to work with and look to exploit I find. More defensive teams are usually the ones that are harder to break down, but you also have to be mindful of them counter-attacking. That's what they'll be looking to do and that's also why you see people getting upset on the forums, when they've had stacks of chances, against a few from an opponent and lost. Simply put, the opponents game plan worked and the gung-ho one used by the opponent didn't. The battering ram doesn't always knock down the wall and sometimes you have to be more subtle.

Starting strategies can depend upon your overall preferences and "style" you're trying to achieve. You can also stick with the same strategy for a whole match and use shouts, or change individual player instructions. For example, I usually have full-backs who can get forward well and are encouraged to do so with "automatic". Although that setting suggests they should be mindful of all phases of play (defend/support/attack), I often find they're always more offensive minded. Against a stiff defending opponent looking to counter, I sometimes change their instruction to "defend". This encourages them to stay behind the ball and not overlap so much, whilst also focusing primarily on their defensive duties and getting back into position quickly. In addition, it can help draw opposing wide players and full-backs onto them. This in turn creates more wide space that can be exploited by my own forwards and wingers. Consider it counter-counter-attacking. :)

The only down side with stubbornly defensive teams though sometimes, is when they stay stubborn all game and are just happy to sit deep behind the ball, defend and clear danger. It's against opponents like these that the odd magic spark is needed and that one goal can change the course of the game. Sometimes, you have to encourage your players in games like these to "take more risks" with a shout, or allow more creative freedom, roaming, be more flexible and less rigid, in order to find a spark of flair of brilliance from one of your more creative players. If that comes off, then you hope that the opponent looks to get back into the game by being more offensive. At that point, you can try to go to town with them and the demolition begins.

Look at Barca and Bayern vs Inter last year, the defensive teams are always going to be the hardest to beat because they're just parked in front of their goal. I like playing like this but when it's the opposition, it can be murder. As heath says, lower Mentality strategies can be the most effective. Drawing them out of position and keeping the ball in their third. This is where your shouts and preparation comes in. A defender with poor Anticipation or Positioning can be beaten by a fast player or a clever player with high Off the Ball ratings who sneaks into the gap he inevitably leaves and because you're dominating possession, you have a good chance of finding him.

if you go too offensive with your Strategy, your players will be making Forward runs and fall into their trap. The key is patience. Good technical players with a slow tempo can cause havoc with a through ball.

I can think of another example too, from the World Cup... Switzerland beating Spain in the group stages.

If ever there was a prime example of a team who wanted to do nothing but defend, whilst looking to capitalise on any occasional chance to counter, it was Ottmar Hitzfeld's Swiss team in that match. They were roundly criticised after the match, but essentially they won and their game plan worked. They frustrated Spain and got the result.

Now although it's not a strategy I would look to use, or feel comfortable with, it has to be respected.

I can think of another example too, from the World Cup... Switzerland beating Spain in the group stages.

If ever there was a prime example of a team who wanted to do nothing but defend, whilst looking to capitalise on any occasional chance to counter, it was Ottmar Hitzfeld's Swiss team in that match. They were roundly criticised after the match, but essentially they won and their game plan worked. They frustrated Spain and got the result.

Now although it's not a strategy I would look to use, or feel comfortable with, it has to be respected.

Horses for courses. It's not a tactic I'd habitually use either, but when my L9 team were drawn away to Man U in the FA Cup that's exactly what I did. We only lost 0-1. If I find myself massively outclassed in another cup tie, I'll happily do it again.

That's me too. However, if we're a single goal ahead after the 70 min mark, I'll go to defensive/contain and retain possession - no point taking needless risks.

If I'm 2 goals up, however, I'll go attack or even overload, playing ball into space for my substitute fast strikers to rip holes through a tired demoralised defence. There's no mystery in the fact that I score most of my goals in the 75th-90th minutes, according to my assman.

Hey Health, just read the first page and stuff.

I currently have a Hereford (start unemplyed) save, and i had the start date in Dec '09 (Brazil loaded)

You can then for the next five/six months arrange "leagues" with the mid-top prem clubs (Everton, Villa, Newcastle, etc). After the "Here" series (What i named them, 1-7), i found myself around £3mill up, and on the respective manager's favourable personal list.

Just thought i'd add it in as an idea, sorry if it's already been said, there's too much to read!

Hey Health, just read the first page and stuff.

I currently have a Hereford (start unemplyed) save, and i had the start date in Dec '09 (Brazil loaded)

You can then for the next five/six months arrange "leagues" with the mid-top prem clubs (Everton, Villa, Newcastle, etc). After the "Here" series (What i named them, 1-7), i found myself around £3mill up, and on the respective manager's favourable personal list.

Just thought i'd add it in as an idea, sorry if it's already been said, there's too much to read!

I am interested but dont understand, please can you clarify the points made, and what you actually did in your save game please.

Here's a little tip that seems to work well for me.

If you spot an opposing keeper with high eccentricity attribute, you may observe them leaving their area for clearances. Using the OI's, set them to closing down "often" and you may see one of your forwards applying more pressure and forcing rushed clearances, or winning the ball from the keeper's feet when he's outside his box. :)

In addition to something I mentioned earlier about corners...

Having experimented for a few pre-season matches now, I'm finding that even with poor quality corner takers, out-swinging corners seem to be more accurate than in-swingers. So effectively, I've got right footed players taking corners from the right and left footers from the left.

The reason I looked at this, is that having my corner taker aim for the far post, with a big centre-back set to attack the far post, either the flight of the ball was behind him, or he wasn't timing his run and leap well enough. Since the change, I'm seeing the out-swinging corners reach my far post man's head more often and he's rarely ahead of the ball. Also seems that he's making better contact with the headers, rather than sometimes appearing to slice or skim headers with the in-swinging corners.

Here's a little tip that seems to work well for me.

If you spot an opposing keeper with high eccentricity attribute, you may observe them leaving their area for clearances. Using the OI's, set them to closing down "often" and you may see one of your forwards applying more pressure and forcing rushed clearances, or winning the ball from the keeper's feet when he's outside his box. :)

That's good, and in keeping with the spirit of the game (reminds me of Roger Milla robbing the Columbian goalie in the World cup back in the day). I've occasionally tried a nasty exploit (on 11.1 anyway). Pick out the oppo keeper before the game and identify him as the weak link/dangerman. There's a good chance you'll render his morale 'very poor'. Bingo! You'll be up against jelly-between-the-sticks'!

He's used an exploit to get millions from pre-season friendlies. In 7 or 8 months of pre-season he arranged loads of friendlies with high-rep clubs for the cash.

Seems he's using FM10 too still, where it was incredibly easy to use such an exploit, as it had been in all versions prior to FM11. It's not so easy now to make huge quantities of money, though it has still been possible for me to arrange lucrative friendlies against the reserve sides of big clubs throughout Europe. In such games, my Telford stadium was between two-thirds to three-quarters full, netting around 40k per match. In FM10 and earlier, it was entirely possible to set up friendly matches that could generate in excess of 100k each.

I would agree though, that either way, it can be seen as quite an exploitative way of doing things, but it can be helpful to balance the books. The financial side of the game is arguably one of the more difficult to manage responsibly, which means it can be very easy to see your club plunge perilously into debt, even facing points deductions in worst cases.

That's good, and in keeping with the spirit of the game (reminds me of Roger Milla robbing the Columbian goalie in the World cup back in the day). I've occasionally tried a nasty exploit (on 11.1 anyway). Pick out the oppo keeper before the game and identify him as the weak link/dangerman. There's a good chance you'll render his morale 'very poor'. Bingo! You'll be up against jelly-between-the-sticks'!

You mean this...

[video=youtube;TyGYJagvhoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyGYJagvhoE

...how could anyone forget Rene Higuita and Roger Milla! ;)

Yes, pinpointing the opposition keeper for a little "weak link" treatment in the media before a match, is also quite useful too. I've not tried this approach since the patch it has to be said, but I'm assuming that if the keeper is indeed a realistic weak link, then there's no reason why it still can't be used as an option.

Seems he's using FM10 too still, where it was incredibly easy to use such an exploit, as it had been in all versions prior to FM11. It's not so easy now to make huge quantities of money, though it has still been possible for me to arrange lucrative friendlies against the reserve sides of big clubs throughout Europe. In such games, my Telford stadium was between two-thirds to three-quarters full, netting around 40k per match. In FM10 and earlier, it was entirely possible to set up friendly matches that could generate in excess of 100k each.

I would agree though, that either way, it can be seen as quite an exploitative way of doing things, but it can be helpful to balance the books. The financial side of the game is arguably one of the more difficult to manage responsibly, which means it can be very easy to see your club plunge perilously into debt, even facing points deductions in worst cases.

Ah playing FM10 - that makes more sense. As July 2010 is the game start point I couldnt see how an earlier start was possible! Actually the suggestion is that he had a "non playing half season". I thought that if you made the save game start in a way where your team is mid season at start point, that the game auto generated a part complete season for your team?

Heath, good to hear you're still out there :) I too picked up Jeffers for my second season and he did pretty well. I was playing him in the poacher role though. He tore his hamstring part way through so he only played around 20 games for us but still managed to hit around 16 goals. Not too bad. We didn't get promoted to league 2 (much to my disgust) in my second season, made the playoffs easily but were well beaten by mansfield. It always seems as I get into the last 15 or 10 games of the season, my strikers forget how to score, the opposition keepers become super keepers and the crossbars and posts become super uprights. Very frustrating! :/

liking your posts mate that would have been a tasty game irl mansfield v eastwood good luck with the badgers any advance on your game pal?

Well, we're top of the BSP right now in Feb but only by a point or so. This is my third season so I'm really hoping for promotion success this year! And of course, we're defending out FA Trophey win of last season :)

good luck then mate.

Hope I am wrong but 11.2.1 looking like its bugged my save game a bit (grahical display glitches & now a freeze in match situation which was irretrievable). Have plenty of backdated saves even back to 11.1.1, but Groundhog Day in FM doesnt really do it for me. I'll give it a couple of days but at Xmas I want to get involved in a save game that isnt shakey & vulnerable!

Season two is under way, after an excellent pre-season. Interesting how different things can be in some respects, between pre-season performances and league performances.

All but one of my pre-season friendlies was against reserve teams from big clubs, including the likes of Benfica, Feyenoord, Chelsea and Arsenal. The Arsenal match was the only loss (3-5), with convincing victories in all the other games and few conceded. Defensively, apart from that Arsenal match, the team looked very solid at the back against some really good quality players.

The opening two games in the league have been 3-1 and 5-2 wins, which show that the new midfielders and forwards I've signed are certainly going to be a handful for opponents. Not so impressed with things at the back though. My opponents in those games only had five chances each, resulting in a total of three goals conceded. At this stage, it looks like lapses in concentration and poor marking were at fault, rather than anything tactical particularly. I did sign a really good centre-back, so he'll probably need a little while to settle into the side. In these first two matches, my first choice stopper was also suspended, meaning that my other new defensive backup signing had to play. Now that my stopper is back, we'll see if he shores things up more.

One area of concern is the right-back slot. I do have a decent ageing Romanian Alex Zotinka, who can cover both the left and right sides, with superb concentration for this level at 15. Unfortunately the rest of his key highlighted attributes are no more than 9 or 10, with teamwork being his only other strongest key attribute. He does have some other good mental attributes though. Having signed him as a backup, he now finds himself a first-team regular.

His back-up is Irishman Shaun Kelly, a younger player at 22, who was about the best I could attract to the club. He does have double figures in all the key attributes, as well as some nice bonus attributes, such as natural fitness 17 and technique 12, but he is noticeably lacking in first touch at only 5. I say noticeably, because he's lost control of the ball which have been seized upon by opposing wingers a few times. He does have some potential though, so I've set him to work on first touch for his individual training focus.

So offensively, business as usual with some superb acquisitions, not least my new target man, Slovakian Peter Styvar. He's certainly an outstanding player for this level, with finishing 15, anticipation 13, heading 14, jumping 13, teamwork 13, work rate 14, strength 14, plus low teens for the other key target man attributes of bravery, first touch and determination. In addition, he also has low to mid teens in other useful attributes, which means I could also consider him as a complete forward at this level. I do prefer the target man role at the moment though, playing with a deep-lying forward (Francis Jeffers), as the two roles and sets of player abilities seem to work well off one another. I also have excellent backup in 32 year-old Norwegian Christer George and 33 year-old Australian Danny Allsopp, who can both be used in either position, though Allsopp would mostly be used as a target man.

I've made improvements in the centre of midfield, though I am retaining the standard midfield "support" and midfield "defend" roles. American Pete Vagenas at 33 is starting to show decline in his attributes, which I'm not having much luck halting via training. Although I've signed Belgian Tom Peeters and Dutchman Tommie van der Leegte, alongside existing Congolese youngster Gauthier Mahoto to rotate, I'm looking out for someone better defensively to either backup or replace Vagenas, who plays the "defend" role. The other three can assume the role, but they're much better suited to the "support" role.

To all intents and purposes, I've kept things the same with the formation and roles, having only changed from using a poacher to a target man a third into last season, following the signing of Danny Allsopp. So I'm back to my normal "approach", which is to take a tactical concept, then build a squad around it. I do still have the urge occasionally to work towards the 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 formations, incorporating what I consider more technical and advanced roles, but try as I might, I've not managed to get players I would consider suitable enough to play those roles to my satisfaction.

Yes, I spent a hell of a lot of time scouring the planet for players, so nothing different there. I've probably been very fortunate with some of the players I have managed to sign, but can't deny the frustration of missing out on other good players. Particularly, some of the many younger players released by top flight teams, both within the UK and abroad. The biggest frustrations were probably getting players on trial, only for them to either have no interest at all in signing permanently (wouldn't enter into negotiations), or that they were snapped up by bigger clubs whilst on trial. Still, my searching for players never begins or ends in the transfer windows. Given I pretty much exclusively sign free transfer players, they can be signed at any time of year, including outside the standard transfer windows.

So, bit more of an update there. No real changes tactically, but plenty to staff and players. Still keeping it simple :)

Just a quick update on my game as Hampton & Richmond Borough in the BSS. :)

Only a measly 7 games in but that's because of time constraints and I play every match on Full, it allows me to understand my players more and see where I can chuck in OI's and Shouts to influence the match. I'm determined not to rush through this and take each and every match as it comes even if I don't get through it quickly.

Top of the league with a maximum 21 points and we're beating anything this league throws at us. My last match played was away at Lewes who aren't an easy side to beat, they were deep, narrow and looked strong on the counter-attack. I'd have been 2-0 down within the first 20 minutes if their Striker's could finish. This match saw the return of my attacking Right-back, Harold Ebdard who drove down the right-flank whilst my Inside Forward Bullock cuts in, he can't cross but is fast and can dribble so cutting in is very effective. On the left, my defensive Left-back allowed my Irish Winger Kieran Tracy freedom to attack and we dominated the wings.

If I had my tall Striker playing, we'd destroy these by using the shouts "Exploit the Flanks", "Get Ball Forward" and "Pump Ball into Box" but we never had him on. My Striker's weren't short but they had a big centre-back but was quite thick. Surely one has to meet his head so I went through with it. 2-0 win with both my goals headers.

Just an example of what seems to happen every match now, a tactical decision winning the match. My squad so far is decent, better than most of the others but lacks depth. Because I am a complete newbie to LLM, I didn't realize you could sign free transfers outside the Transfer Window so I'm making use of that now.

My defence is looking great, 3 goals conceded but nothing to worry about, 2 were headers and my giant Centre-back wasn't playing at the time so I'll have to get another for when he needs a rest but there is a tall Forward.

My midfield is awesome. I have lots of hard-workers who win the ball back and lay it off to this beauty; Alexis Nikolas. I wouldn't condone playing a Deep-Lying Playmaker at this level but look at these:

dzct2f.jpg

His highlights have been a 20 yard volley that dipped over the 'keeper and went in and a stunning Through-Ball that was a clearence from his own half that sparked a counter-attack, 40 yard pass into the feet of my Striker who burned his defender and scored.

On the wings I have a great Dribbler who is quick but can't cross and a quick Winger with a decent cross but can't dribble. Backed up by average Winger's with average ratings for those 3. Up-front I have a Strong, Pacey Finisher who is basically an all-rounder but I play him in the "Poacher" role, a Striker who works his socks off but isn't fast yet has good Acceleration! Backed up by a Tagret Man who is strong and has a decent finish. Most other back-up's are Versatlie and can play in a few positions.

A massive, massive tip is to have a "Ratings" tab open when playing a match, it gives the Ratings for their players and their Condition, a few matches ago, their Right-Back and Right-Winger were shattered (I'm talking 55%, they need a Rotation system ;)) so brought on my defensively weak young attacking Full-Back and changed my Focus to "Down Left Flank" and destroyed them down there. It's incredibly useful.

Pay attention to it pre-match too, have a look at the general loss of Condition and "Retain Possession", "Drop Deeper" and "Play Wider" making the pitch as big as possible and keep the ball, shatter them and then "Take More Risks", "Push Higher Up". "Hassle Opponents" and "Exploit..." wherever they are weakest. Effectively, crank up the Tempo, win the ball back as soon as possible and take advantage of wherever they are most tired and more likely to make mistakes.

Going in hard on a player with low Condition is a personal favourite of mine. People on the forums often complain that after making their 3 subs, another player would get injured. Have to feel sympahty for the AI on my game. :p

You're talking my language, Jenko. I've made a few posts advocating looking for an exploiting opposing player weaknesses in that fashion. I think I mentioned in an earlier post about keeping the oppo morale widget open to look out for nervous players to target. It's my contention that at this lower league level where players tend to have low stamina (especially part timers and youths) and most are mentally frail that such a rather unsporting approach can real huge dividends.

I'm sure phnompenhandy likes nothing better than turning opponents into quivering, gibbering wrecks, by the time he's finished with them ;)

Alexis Nikolas is a player I had Jenko_EFC, but he just didn't seem to perform too well for me. Didn't try him in the DLP role though and eventually sold him on to Crewe for 12k.

Although I'm not playing full matches myself, I usually view extended highlights. This is usually enough (with the stats) to tell me what I need to see.

Still working things out defensively though. Usually I don't tend to suffer from leaky defences, so I'm paying special attention to that area of my game at the moment, even to the extent of focusing on defensive positioning a little more in match preparation. It does seem to be mostly individual errors, poor timing for interceptions and the occasional set piece, leading to the goals at the moment. As there's no single or repeated way I'm conceding, it makes paying attention to my tactical settings and shouts all the more important.

Have started the season fairly well though. After six games, we're second and two points behind Histon in the BSP with a record of P:6 - W:4 - D:2 - F:19 - A:7 - GD:12 Pts:14. Offensively we're superb, especially evident in the last match, a comprehensive 5-0 win away to Newport County. The drawn matches were back to back results against Wrexham away (1-1) and Luton Town at home (2-2).

In the Wrexham game, we were by far the dominant side, but squandered too many chances. Having taken the lead, I had decided to maintain an attacking strategy, which on reflection tired my players out too early, when perhaps I should have taken a more controlled approach. They weren't all at full fitness to begin with, plus a couple of knocks didn't help. Wrexham took advantage of this later in the game and snatched an equaliser with eight minutes remaining. By that time, my team just didn't have the legs to get a winner.

The Luton game was very even, although my side took the lead twice and lost it twice. We had slightly more chances than they did, but just couldn't get the edge over them in an end to end game. They are the team I would consider, along with my own team, to have the strongest squad in the BSP. So perhaps no shame in a draw with them, but I do feel that I could have made some better decisions during the game to influence things more. I'm also guilty of not paying enough attention to particular players I had been warned about in the scout reports.

Overall though, a decent start and some lessons learned during some of the games, about some of my tactical choices and the capabilities of some of my players.

I use him in games where I could use more creativity in midfield rather than the 'grafters' I normally play. By no means a starter, he's quality for this level on the ball.

I'll use my current game I'm halfway through as an example against Havant & Waterlooville. I am off to a great start and these are some 5 points behind. We are also odds onto win so I expect a cautious, counter-attacking approach. My normal tactic I use against most teams at home and when they play 4-4-2 is the same as yours heath, a 4-4-2 with Wingers in the AML/R slots. In today's game, I expect 6 players to "attack", 1 to "support" and 3 to "defend". 3 staying defensive when we attack is very common whenever I play because it doesn't leave me vunlerable at the back and gives me 7 not defending.

A quick look at their Squad shows me their Wingers, Fodgen and Hawes have lower Condition (87% and 89% respectively) than anyone else. they're both on "Good" Morale too. By the end of the game, these will be shattered and probably not have high levels of Motivation allowing me to play attacking Wing-back's and some tough treatment should be enough.

I went with 2 defensive Central Midfielder's but one on "support" so he can help the attack if and when and 2 attacking Wing-back's who are pretty useless defensively but should provide a great option going forward. OI's on the Mentally weak defender who I criticized in the media and on the Condition-lacking Wingers. Should be fun.

Heh... just had "one of those games".

Lost 1-0 away to Basingstoke, had 24 chances at goal to their 8, but my forwards couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo in that game. Tactically, everything seemed right and their goal came as a result of a lapse of concentration from one of my defenders. Forwards got low ratings, as did the defender, but the rest of the team rated pretty well. Midfielders and wingers provided chance after chance, but as they say... "one of those games". wall.gif

First defeat of the season, but a frustrating one. After the match, I had private chats with the players who performed poorly. All responded well to the criticism thankfully. Next result?

4-0 demolition of Forest Green Rovers, with the lowest rated player 7.1 - which was my keeper. Lowest rated outfield player 7.4 and the striker I had a quiet word with... a hat-trick.

Incidentally, I've dropped Francis Jeffers. In pre-season he was outstanding, but since the competitive games have started, he's been poor. Not really sure what to do with him at the moment, so will try playing him from the bench for a little while.

On reflection, I believe that my players might have gone into the Basingstoke game too complacent, having thumped Newport County in the previous match. That's something I'll have to be mindful of after this latest victory.

Yeah I learned that quickly heath, at this level with their poor Mental Attributes, un-deserved praise leads to Complacency and un-warranted criticism leads to Nervousness quite easily. Something to bare in mind. I usually have the "Team" Teamtalk as something along the lines of "Good result but poor performance" not being Angry with them but disappointed and single out players for praise or criticism. Those who didn't do badly but didn't do well get told the "Team" teamtalk. You have to be careful with it though, poor Morale and Motivation is something you can't afford.

I also had "one of those matches" against Havant & Waterlooville but a different kind, I posted pre-match before. 62% possession suggests we dominated it but we never, most was even and they got an early goal from a cross from a Free-Kick which my 'keeper dropped, he's been solid for us this season and it's the only mistake he's made. I decided to "Hassle Opponents", "Look for Overlap" and "Pump Ball into Box" which led to my attacking Full-backs getting lots of balls in but to little effect.

Both opposition Wingers hobbled off injured because of me targeting them with OI's and the Defender I criticized was Nervous. They sat deep, narrow and our crosses weren't doing anything. We were allowed both flanks to keep the ball and do whatever but as soon as we moved inside we were closed down and denied space.

I feel pretty sly but happy about what happened; cross comes in and the Centre-back who was Nervous picked up a knock earlier and wins the ball and brings it down with his chest and goes to clear it with his foot but my Target Man comes along and throws him off the ball and taps it in. Just as I planned but it wasn't nice. ;) Finished 1-1 and I'm disappointed but it could have gone either way.

Yeah, I can be a little harsh sometimes with my players, I must admit. I've never been one to pussyfoot around though. ;)

Me being "angry" after the defeat did seem to do the trick, given the morale didn't suffer and they won the next match convincingly. A private chat with the players who performed the worst clearly helped too, as they all performed really well in that next match.

I never seem to suffer with players having low morale. Probably because I always look to sign players with decent determination, along with some of the character traits that will let me have a blast at them every so often. I try to look for character traits like determined, professional, driven, ambitious. Although the latter can sometimes be seen in a negative light when managing smaller teams, I want players who are ambitious, so long as they have good determination to go with it. It's usually a given that players with a decent determination attribute, will have a good level of determination governed by their hidden character attributes.

Obviously with what I would consider the more weaker willed players, I have to be more cautious. I simply try to avoid signing those sort of players, because from experience, I get fed up messing around with them and eventually get rid. Much better in my opinion, to have similar characters throughout the squad if possible. Teams gel better, relationships form better between players, tutoring is easier generally, plenty of benefits.

What I am finally considering though, is possibly moving away from the 4-4-2 formation I'm using, for certain games. More often in my scout reports and pre-match meetings, I'm told that opponents "do well against teams who play a 4-4-2 formation". Now normally I'm not too worried about that, because I feel the roles I use, the suitability and quality of players I have, should be enough to counter that, as my team is usually much more capable than opponents in every other respect.

Even though my team is 100% fluid in every aspect with the current 4-4-2 system, there's just something I can't quite put my finger on at the moment, because they're not quite playing to their potential. Granted, this is another level higher than last season, but I've improved my squad and the players have settled quickly. Fortunately though, I've had my "Spanish" 4-2-3-1 wide system stored as a secondary tactic in the match preparation menu's, which is now full bars in all areas but "formation" and "tempo", which are accomplished.

The down side though, is that although I've got some much better midfielders, there's only one who I would feel comfortable using as a deep-lying playmaker, which would be with the "support" instruction. The other role, which I would normally use as a DLP "defend", I would not be entirely happy with. So, I would either have to consider a ball winner or standard MCd role and instruction.

Going to stick with the 4-4-2 for now, but having the 4-2-3-1 at almost complete fluency, does give me another option. Have to admit, I've never been one for changing formations... ever! Normally I'll use the same core tactic and roles, utilising subtle changes to make a difference. You could say that I've entered unfamiliar territory here now, by actually considering the use of different shapes, during the course of a season, or even during a match. Pretty much unheard of for me, so looking at switching shapes more often, will prove interesting, if nothing else.

Well, I've stuck with the trusty 4-4-2 but I've managed to keep the same back four for a few games now. Seems they're working together much better and since the Basingstoke defeat, have won four on the trot, keeping clean sheets in all those matches. Far superior goal difference over any other team and currently lying third in the table after eleven games, with title favourites Luton ahead by a point and surprise package Histon, two points ahead. They were tipped for 18th place by the media.

Looking at the table are Darlington (predicted 3rd) in 17th and ready to sack Paul Merson if they lose again. The bigger surprises though, are the two teams relegated from League 2. My next opponents Shrewsbury (predicted 4th) lie in 14th, whilst Port Vale (predicted 2nd) are really having a hard time and sit in 23rd spot, second from bottom.

I don't take any games against such opponents for granted though, because they do still have some good players for this level. I am careful to check to see if I can take advantage of any poor morale.

Heh... just had "one of those games".

Lost 1-0 away to Basingstoke, had 24 chances at goal to their 8, but my forwards couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo in that game. Tactically, everything seemed right and their goal came as a result of a lapse of concentration from one of my defenders. Forwards got low ratings, as did the defender, but the rest of the team rated pretty well. Midfielders and wingers provided chance after chance, but as they say... "one of those games". wall.gif

First defeat of the season, but a frustrating one. After the match, I had private chats with the players who performed poorly. All responded well to the criticism thankfully. Next result?

4-0 demolition of Forest Green Rovers, with the lowest rated player 7.1 - which was my keeper. Lowest rated outfield player 7.4 and the striker I had a quiet word with... a hat-trick.

... On reflection, I believe that my players might have gone into the Basingstoke game too complacent, having thumped Newport County in the previous match. That's something I'll have to be mindful of after this latest victory.

I often see an on-form striker play a stinker for one game - I assume it's his hidden 'consistency' attribute kicking in. Occasionally 2 strikers can be affected at the same time. As you say, it happens; no need to panic. Just have a private chat and tell 'em you're disappointed and see how they do next time. Most seasons my strikers will go through a month-long lean spell - high morale, happy, just rubbish. Pretty realistic, IMO.

heatxxx great topic dude. I sat up and read this for a solid 2 hours last night and then ended up playing until 7am. Still haven't got through pre-season as I'm taking my time like you suggested. Find my players and reviewing them in game. It's a class way of playing the game- thanks.

Hello Heath,

First: great read!

I have started a career at Utsikten BK in the Swedish Third Division (4th level), first season 2nd no promotion, second season first and got promoted. In my first season in the Third Division North I managed to get a great 6th place and now I'm at the start at the 4th season.

A few things that concern me:

- lack of performance by my strikers. They are among the best in the league, but their chance/goal rate is far lower then lower quality strikers from other teams.

- my full backs seem to perform very poor. I do play with AML and AMR and have the idea that the space between the AMR and DR is too large, wich makes the full backs vunurable.

- in pre season matches and cups I perform very very well with dominating play against opponents far stronger then me.

I'm trying alot to get better performances, but still haven't found the right settings to get them to play the way I would like.

This is partially caused by poor quality players.

Grt,

Werner

heatxxx great topic dude. I sat up and read this for a solid 2 hours last night and then ended up playing until 7am. Still haven't got through pre-season as I'm taking my time like you suggested. Find my players and reviewing them in game. It's a class way of playing the game- thanks.

Totally, totally agree with this.

Hope you've managed to get some sleep now though. ;)

I enjoy playing the game the way I do, with more attention to detail. Rushing through things just seem pointless to me and I think that I'm missing out on some great depth to the game if I do so. All the tools are there in the game to make a real difference as manager, so to me, it's more rewarding knowing that any success and failure is entirely in my own hands. The game is detailed enough that things will happen that are outside our control, such as the Basingstoke match I mentioned before where my players performed poorly. The challenge then is how you respond to poor results, to pick your team up and turn things around.

Hello Heath,

First: great read!

I have started a career at Utsikten BK in the Swedish Third Division (4th level), first season 2nd no promotion, second season first and got promoted. In my first season in the Third Division North I managed to get a great 6th place and now I'm at the start at the 4th season.

A few things that concern me:

- lack of performance by my strikers. They are among the best in the league, but their chance/goal rate is far lower then lower quality strikers from other teams.

- my full backs seem to perform very poor. I do play with AML and AMR and have the idea that the space between the AMR and DR is too large, wich makes the full backs vunurable.

- in pre season matches and cups I perform very very well with dominating play against opponents far stronger then me.

I'm trying alot to get better performances, but still haven't found the right settings to get them to play the way I would like.

This is partially caused by poor quality players.

Grt,

Werner

If you're using the same sort of formation, shape and tactical settings that I presented early in the thread, you may need to adapt things a little to suit your own team and player more. What I presented was more for the purpose of highlighting the key player attributes that I would require for each position and role. Given the general lower overall quality of players, although I like more attacking football, I did feel the need to maintain more simplified roles and instructions for the most part. Essentially, I've taken a 4-4-2 with more advanced wingers and built my team around it, using roles that I feel players will perform in comfortably, without trying to ask too much of them, or using abilities they're not strong enough in.

The problem anyone will have trying to follow the tactical approach I've used, is that it will vary depending on the players they have available to them. It's worth reviewing what sort of players you feel your able to attract to the club, when deciding on an overall tactical approach. Since I've been able to attract some better quality players, with stronger attributes for more varied roles, I've also got a 4-2-3-1 wide system that my team is learning in the match preparation screen. It gives me an additional option against teams who scouts suggest play well against 4-4-2.

Assuming you're using what I set out initially though, if you feel that there's too much space between your wingers and full-backs, there's a few different things you can try. Firstly, you could drop the AML and AMR back to ML and MR, if you feel they're comfortable in those positions. Alternatively, you could set the AML and AMR to "Support" rather than the "Attack" which I'm using. This should see them track back more. You could also set the full-backs to "Defend", so they focus more on their defensive responsibilities. They'll still get forward to support wingers or put crosses in from deep, but their defensive responsibilities will be their prime focus. Again, look to the attributes of your players to guide your decisions and remember that you don't have to do things in symmetry. You could for example keep your left-back on "Automatic" if he's good going forward and your right-back on "Defend" if he's better defensively. Same with wingers. You could have one on "Support" and one on "Attack".

With your forwards, again, look at what attributes suit the roles you're using, or adapt the roles to suit their attributes. I'm now using a Target Man "Attack" and a Deep-Lying Forward "Attack", because I have four strikers in my squad that can play in those positions well. Previously I was using Deep-Lying Forward "Attack" and Poacher "Attack", because I had players better suited to the poacher role.

Does Santa Clara in 2nd division in Portugal count as lower league?

If it doesn't i'll keep schtum. Thanks for this great thread though, learnt a lot.

Sure. You can take elements of the approach I use and try them with clubs at any level and in any country. Obviously you need to be mindful of different pitch and weather conditions in Portugal or Spain, compared to northern European countries like England and Scotland, which can lead to different tactical decisions. The more technically demanding 4-2-3-1 system I've mentioned, is one I would be happy using year round in southern Europe, but only with good pitch and weather conditions in northern Europe, because it's the sort of system typical to Spanish or Portuguese teams and styles of play. Simply put, it's tempo, passing and style, wouldn't work on a waterlogged pitch in the English lower leagues in winter! ;)

Totally, totally agree with this.

Cheque's in the post... :D

Hello everybody, first post in this thread.

Started with my first FM last year, and it has always been an attractive concept to bring lower clubs to glory, in last year's case, for my first game I played with Southampton. Ended up being the only game I played with my own tactics all year, as I eventually stumbled across these forums. Was doing quite well though, and now I'm hoping to recreate that this year. Decided to go with the very bottom tiers however, in my FM11 save. Anyways, so I loaded up the English leagues with a custom DB of about 100K, and the very first club I randomly selected happened to be BSS side Braintree Town, which look to be a decent side. I'll try and send some updates along, but I'll definitely follow this thread as it is very informative.

Went ahead and selected Promotion as my objective, as that should give me about 2500 to work with in wages after selling/releasing one player on 850 per week, who doesn't even make it into the Ass Man's team report. Furthermore, he's 30 years old. Not sure if I'll get promotion, but I think it's definitely achievable.

Just an update on my Eastwood save. We were crowned champs of the BSP in our 3rd season and are now in our first proffesional league. Won the FA trophey for the second season on the trot too.

So all things good so far. My board offered me a wasge budget of 10 grand a week and a transfer budget of 150 pounds! So you can tell I'll be going crazy with that. Haven't been able to find many better players to add to my team, although a few more are available to me they're asking for ridiculous wages. Just hope we can manage to put up a brave performance this season with the team available and make a little money and have a better one next season. We need money badly to get our pitch re-layed or teams are going to stop showing up it's getting that bad :)

Poor old York City manager got the boot after my team beat them 4-1 on their own patch. Really took advantage of their low morale and the poor mental attributes of their inexperienced defenders. That result took us top after Luton Town and Histon dropped points, having played fourteen games. Seven straights wins now, following the loss at Basingstoke, but a close calls against Shrewsbury and a top of the table clash against Histon.

The tricky thing now after a run like this, is keeping their feet on the ground. I'm careful not to praise too much and also take care with press conferences, every so often I'll suggest an upcoming game is tough or could go either way.

All the way through, I'm still searching for players. It's a never ending process for me, as I continually look to improve the squad. I've signed some reasonable youngsters who are plying their trade in the youth and reserve teams. Even if they don't make it through to the first team, the scouts suggest several of them have the potential to be good or leading League One players. At the moment though they're not good enough for the first team, but they're handy to have as backup or as an investment. By the latter, I mean that I can try to develop them, then sell them on for a profit, as they're all on as little as 50 pounds per week. Some are already worth 20k or more. Just another way to generate a little extra income, whilst also having additional squad cover.

Archived