FM 2011 Official System/Specs Thread

Processor Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor

- 2.10 GHz

- 3MB Smart Cache

- Dual-core

RAM 4GB

Graphics card Intel® HD Graphics 3000 integrated GPU

How many leagues for this one? Not bothered about running at super quick speed, just at a reasonable pace.

Is this the best FM laptop I could reasonable afford at a £350 ish budget?

Good VFM :thup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking to buy a laptop for around £350 - £400.

I've seen 2 that I like the look of:

Condition: Used but like new.

Price: £359.99 free delivery

• Aspire 6930G 16" Acer CineCrystal TFT LCD
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
    3GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GS 256MB Dedicated Graphics
    Webcam: Integrated 0.3Mp HD Acer Crystal Eye webcam
    Optical Drive: 1X Blu-ray Disc/DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive (Reads Blue Ray Discs/writes all types of CD/ DVD discs)

Condition: Brand new boxed

Price: £370 £9.99 delivery (£379.99 all together)

• HP Pavilion dv6-3122sa (Cherry Black) 15.6" (HP BrightView, LED Backlit, 1366 x 768 HD 16:9 Screen)
    AMD Turion II P540 Dual Core (P540, 2.4GHz, 2MB Cache)
    4GB DDR3 RAM # Expandable to 8GB
    500GB SATA 7200rpm
    SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics (switchable) up to 2173 MB total graphics memory with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated
    Altec Lansing speakers - Dolby Advanced Audio
    Integrated Webcam with Microphone

The Acer Asper is a smart gem stone blue design, I can't see the HP cherry black as it's sealed in it's box.

I know the latter looks better, for £20 more I can have 4gb ram instead of 3, Windows 7 instead of Windows XP and it's brand new.

But I'm not sure about the graphics? I'm not too sure when it comes to graphic drivers, which is better the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GS 256MB Dedicated Graphics or the Dedicated (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with 512MB Dedicated DDR3 RAM)?

But the Acer appears to have a Blue Ray disk reader and a bigger screen too..

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. :thup:

I ended up buying the brand new HP Pavilion dv6-3122sa for £370 + £9.99 delivery, I had a google around and saw that the same model/specs on other sites brand new, was around £459 plus Vat. So I saved around £70 ish.

What could I manage from this set up:

Base

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Memory

6144MB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM

Video Card

3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics Card

Hard Drive

1TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Dual HDD - (2x500GB)

What could I manage from this set up:

Base

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Memory

6144MB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM

Video Card

3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics Card

Hard Drive

1TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Dual HDD - (2x500GB)

65 .

Have you try at load with this configuration?

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by yugo23 viewpost-right.png

If there is someone with i5 2500 / i7 2600 (or some similar CPU) , could you do a little test for me.

Here is save game, with ALL leagues loaded:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y3XSGK12

All you have to do is go on holiday for a week, and measure how much time is needed for processing. It's important not to resign from current club, as it affects processing speed a lot.

It takes just under 7 minutes for my Phenom II X4 @ 3,6 GHz to finish the processing.

I had a chance today to test this on my friend's i7-2600.

It took 4:45 minutes at stock frequencies, and 4:09 minutes at 3,9 GHz.

That's from the last page

Hi, I am using a Intel Core i7-2630 QM 2.0Ghz , 8GB Ram laptop.

i wan to start a game as a journeyman , as Man Utd and as a low club building up and going to premier league

but the problem i am facing now is i do not know which leagues and nation to load up with. any one can suggest me?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not very good with computer spec etc but my current PC is around 6-7 years old and can run a maximum FM11 database of 20,000 players.

I'm looking to purchase a new tower, my monitor etc are fine but would like to be able to get something which would allow for at least a 50,000 player database. My budget is around £500 - is this possible? Any sound recommendations?

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have seen this desktop computer

• Super Fast AMD Phenom II 840 3.2GHz Quad Core CPU

• HUGE 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
  • MASSIVE 1TB (1000GB) Hard Drive Storage Space
  • ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB Graphics Card

• DVD RW +/-

• Wifi Ready Wireless PCI Card
  • Stylish Neon Red LED Case with Display Screen

It will cost me £345

or this one

• Super Fast AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

• MASSIVE 1TB (1000GB) Hard Drive Storage Space

• DVD RW +/-

which is £422

I only play football manager but will maybe dip my toes into some other games what do you guys think.

If there is someone with i5 2500 / i7 2600 (or some similar CPU) , could you do a little test for me.

All you have to do is go on holiday for a week, and measure how much time is needed for processing. It's important not to resign from current club, as it affects processing speed a lot.

It takes just under 7 minutes for my Phenom II X4 @ 3,6 GHz to finish the processing.

Is that on full detail or not?

Great, thanks. Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds a little unplayable to me. Waiting 4 minutes between turns would be extremely annoying, to say the least... and if you wanted to add, say, England down to level 11, that would only get more frustrating.

Probably waiting for LGA2011 or Bulldozer, then realising that with the leagues available to FM12 we still can't run it :p

I have seen this desktop computer

• Super Fast AMD Phenom II 840 3.2GHz Quad CoreCPU

• MASSIVE1TB (1000GB) Hard Drive Storage Space

• DVD RW +/-

It will cost me £345

or this one

• Super Fast AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz 6-CoreProcessor

• MASSIVE1TB (1000GB) Hard Drive Storage Space

• DVD RW +/-

which is £422

I only play football manager but will maybe dip my toes into some other games what do you guys think.

BUMP!

Also how many leagues can I load with dual core 2.6 and 2 gb ram on my current system

Great, thanks. Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds a little unplayable to me. Waiting 4 minutes between turns would be extremely annoying, to say the least... and if you wanted to add, say, England down to level 11, that would only get more frustrating.

Probably waiting for LGA2011 or Bulldozer, then realising that with the leagues available to FM12 we still can't run it :p

4 minutes is not too long for one whole week of processing every single league in the world. Subjective feeling is also very good, quite snappy.

Wondering if someone can help me make a decision on a new desktop from the following options:

AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D

4 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive

or

Intel® Core™ i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics

4 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB 16X PCI Express

Mainly looking at which will run FM better? I'm presuming the i5 but the AMD is a decent chunk cheaper. Will the difference be huge?

Cheers!

I'm not very good with computer spec etc but my current PC is around 6-7 years old and can run a maximum FM11 database of 20,000 players.

I'm looking to purchase a new tower, my monitor etc are fine but would like to be able to get something which would allow for at least a 50,000 player database. My budget is around £500 - is this possible? Any sound recommendations?

Many thanks!

Any advice for this?? Thanks.

Hi all, i have looked through this forum but please help if you can,

I have played FM for as long as i can remember and am looking to buy a new laptop. The main purpose of said laptop will be to play football manager but also watch tv, i.e bbc iplayer and 4OD, store music and files, chat, webcam etc. I normally run 3-5 countries max and watch highlights, although i am old school so mainly just text, rather than the whole graphic experience.

My only problem is the graphics card, whats good for highlights etc bit also watching tv/films? Should i look for dedicated cards or is built in graphics ok? I have a budget of £500 max if that helps.

From what i gather a processor of 2ghz or more, 4gb of ram, 500gb of memory and a decent graphics card is all that i need to run this fine game quickly.

At the moment i play it from a basic Acer which is far below the spec but still somehow plays the game!

Wondering if someone can help me make a decision on a new desktop from the following options:

AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D

4 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM

or

Intel® Core™ i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics

4 Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB 16X PCI Express

Mainly looking at which will run FM better? I'm presuming the i5 but the AMD is a decent chunk cheaper. Will the difference be huge?

Cheers!

The latter one will smash the former to pieces, simply because it's built to do so. You get what you pay for in this case.

Llano (the former's processor family) is getting good reviews so it all comes down to the price and whether you're willing to pay extra for performance.

- Power Supply: 500W

- CPU: VERY FAST AMD PHENOM II X4 840 AM3 3.2 ghz cpu

- Motherboard: ASROCK N68CS-UCC

- Cooler: AMD Stock Cooler

- RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

- Hard Drive: 1000GB SATA

- Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB Graphics Card

- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)

or

975 processor @ 3.6GHz (quad core)

or

840 processor @ 3.2GHz (quad core)

That's the only difference I see between the two of them. I think you're smart enough to figure out what is the better of them :')

yeah I am smarter just wondered if there is a big difference between the 2

Well, one advertises itself as "VERY FAST"... :D

(Synthetic benchmarks, so beware)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+975

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+840

It really comes down to whether you want to spend more. The 975 is substantially quicker than the 840 (although I'll check if you can get a similar-specification Sandy Bridge i3 as I think they are cheaper), but the 840 is extremely good value for a budget option.

If possible, slash your RAM to 4 GB (you won't need 8 GB for what appears to be a budget machine).

how will they both run fm11? they both will cost me around £350

Ishu (we need him back!) will know more, but looking through the thread, the 840 should be able to handle 30 leagues. The 975 should be approaching 45-50 leagues. You should be able to play 3D on medium, probably high too.

Drop the RAM to 4 GB and upgrade the graphics card a notch or two if possible, and you will have a much more balanced build.

Now is not the best time to buy a PC (AMD at least), with new-gen Bulldozer CPUs just around the corner (Q3 2011, at latest October). If you are not in a hurry, I'd suggest you to wait until they arrive. You will get MUCH better performance in FM.

With £350 it's useless to wait for the new generation of CPUs, they'll be too expensive anyway. The 975 is a good CPU, however the latest Intel chips beat the newest AMDs in every way possible (imo, AMD fanatics will most likely tell you otherwise). If your budget allows it, try buying an Intel Sandy Bridge (i5-2500 for instance).

Ok so it looks like im going for a comp that Is a quad core amd 965 3.4ghz, with 4 gb ram and a radeon hd 5450. how will this run fm? I have also seen a simlar spec comp with a radeon hd 5670 but it has a amd 840 quad core at 3.1 or 3.2 what do you guys think

To be honest it would be much cheaper if you build the PC desktop unit from scratch, I have purchased the motherboard and CPU chip for £280 and the CPU is a I7 950 3.0GHZ times four and will be adding 12GB ram.

Most of the systems I have seen being advertised on sites like PC World, Ebay, etc are way high and my build will cost about £600 and yet the same specification is £1000 to £1200, there mark up is pure greed.

A DIY desktop is one thing, a laptop quite another. Anyway, in this case work is picking up the tab so I'm perfectly happy to spend the money.:)

Laptops are not for gaming, having three laptops, one being a Dell with a Nivida 8600 GMT and the other two having dedicated graphic cards and so the Dell is my number one right now as in transition with regards to building my new gaming desktop.

This is my outlook from experience and yes you can get some really great specifications with regards to laptops but in all seriousness don't expect the game of football managers calibre to be running to full capacity without having high CPU temps and that is the flawed concept on the laptops.

Dunno about FM, but what i do know is you can get it for £37 cheaper here - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_RC520-S02UK_Core_i5_Laptop_NP-RC520-S02UK/version.asp?PID=749

I just ordered it on Friday and managed to haggle them for free delivery too. Amazon are usually more expensive when it comes to laptops etc.

Laptops are not for gaming, having three laptops, one being a Dell with a Nivida 8600 GMT and the other two having dedicated graphic cards and so the Dell is my number one right now as in transition with regards to building my new gaming desktop.

This is my outlook from experience and yes you can get some really great specifications with regards to laptops but in all seriousness don't expect the game of football managers calibre to be running to full capacity without having high CPU temps and that is the flawed concept on the laptops.

Fair enough, FM is an afterthought for this machine. I was just wondering how many leagues it will do.

Just finished this ''little test'', it took me 5 minutes and 10 seconds on my i5 760 @ 3.4 ghz , 4 GB RAM , and exactly 4 min 23 secs at 4GHZ .

Hi guys have just purchased my new pc for £330

It has a. Amd 965 x4 3.4ghz cpu

4gb ram

Radeon hd 5450

Graphics card I will change in next few weeks as well as adding ram to make it 8gb ram.

Now the question is how will it perform how many leagues\nations and players will it load?

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm after some advice if any of you feel able to help me!

I'm wanting to get a new PC for FM12 and also to do a bit more gaming on it than I do now on my current laptop. Now, obviously I know to go for as much processing power and RAM as I can, but what is considered 'good' these days?

Also, I know I'll need a decent graphics card this time and not the rubbish integrated graphics thingy on my current laptop. What sort of thing is best to go for? I really don't have a clue about this kind of thing. :(

My budget isn't huge so I'm really looking at getting the best deal I can whilst not compromising too much on the specs. In addition to the old favourite (FM!), I've got quite into playing a few games like Minecraft and Terraria lately. Most of the games I like tend to be kind of retro, so I probably don't need anything amazing graphics wise, although I think Minecraft needs something half decent so that you can get more out of it and certainly the latest FMs don't like my GMA 950 integrated graphics. Obviously, I'd also like to have a PC capable of running Football Manager to a higher standard than my current old laptop. I might end up enjoying the latest FM games more if I had a more capable computer, and if not, I could always run a ton of leagues on one of the old FMs. For once in my FMing career, I really want a fairly quality spec PC where I don't have to scrimp on the leagues as I usually have to. :(

As for desktop or laptop, I haven't made my mind up, but I guess you get more for your money with a desktop (?) and that is definitely a factor in its favour if that's the case. The only thing is I'd have to be buying the monitor etc. as well as I currently don't have one. Don't know if this makes it the more expensive option or not? The thing that puts me off a laptop is the fact that I've had all kinds of problems with this one's fan getting clogged up with crap. Plus, I know a desktop is easier to upgrade etc.

Basically, any advice appreciated. I haven't really got a specific idea in mind, only a vague one. Can any of you guys help? Thanks in advance.

Archived