*other* manager overcoming FM?

Statements like Fifa manager and CM are litght years away from FM, are arrogant statements (I'm not calling anyone arrogant), but the statements is simply undermining the competition. This is all that cute, but it showed that the underdog always can surpise and surpass the top dog and there many examples of that.

Now of course I agree that Fifa Manager and CM are light years away, but from what I have seen The competition has gains closed the gap and What the OP and I is to SI to watch itself.

It is not really hard to be humble in this cases and really see that despite the games of competition is inferior to FM, but they have strong key features and weak ones like FM has too.

Now of course I agree with what you're saying and it is wrong to be so arrogant. But I can only speak for myself, and in my opinion the gap is getting bigger.

Originally Posted by Cydver

Unfortunately I have reached that point of the year where FM has began to bore me out, so I thought it would be good to post now.

I think FM beats the competition in 4 main areas: Database, match engine, and to a lesser extent, financial model and transfer system.

I don't really think comparing is the best way of doing this, but I think it's been said enough that the other parts of the game have to be improved on. With FIFA Manager, for example, when your player makes a first international cap, you actually get a full screen notifying you of that, unlike an inbox item with the player mentioning you in an interview. I'm not saying FM should provide full screens for the player, but achievements don't feel like much other than text at the moment. After I've promoted a League Two club Macclesfield (randomly chosen) to the Championship on close to zero transfer budget, I just think it enhances the game a bit more for a screen to pop up with the trophy and large words saying congratulations. Right now I get inbox item after inbox item. I don't expect FM to suddenly incorporate trophy pictures, after all it is superficial, but things should really be done to help with the sense of achievement, especially after prolonged periods of playing where, quite frankly, success is bound to come on one try even for the worst players around.

Then there is player interaction, which severely lacks the realism of real life. In FIFAM (sorry) again, you can organize discussion in the locker room, praise or criticize a player in private or public, make promises such as "I will make you an international player in (number) of seasons", crucial for the signing of players, and hold end-of-the-season talks, or even talks at the start of the season for target-setting. I just feel this gives the player a bit more attachment to the individual players, as he knows he has promises he has to keep. In FM right now, I have players requesting transfers, then retracting. They are angered by my decisions, but forgive me after a two-week period almost robotically. This is not to say FIFAM has the best interaction system but FM certainly could take a leaf out of their book.

Whilst in real life managers do not have full control as stipulated in FIFAM (although they do acknowledge this, changing your role from "Full" to "Executive of Football" to various others alongside the customary "Manager"), it would be nice to be able to have an opinion on the facility building of the club and its stadium, rather than clicking one button and having the board "consider" your decision, and if they accept it, settle it all by themselves. Surely the manager to board interaction could be improved further and whilst steps have been taken in the right directions this year, I urge for even greater innovations in this field as well.

The manager also has close to no interaction with the fans...press conferences being mundane and repetitive has been said enough, but being able to schedule a fan day, alongside others like youth trials would be good. In FIFAM, they overdo this with the likes of Theme Park excursions which probably should be left out of the footballing side of the business, but in FM there is no shirt-signing day, no manager-fan interaction etc.

Finally, as a concluding point, realism of life does not come into play properly in FM. We see managers in real life having to deal with altitude play, or traveling, for example. The 'continental hangover' doesn't truly show in FM, only manifesting itself in lower condition and fitness ratings, which to be honest, are negligible. Teams should have to deal with the complications of continental competitions, having to travel early to certain locations to assimilate with local conditions, and in doing so, have certain privileges banned from them, rather than just going through the day as though everything happens in the same office, on the same pitch. I should have to feel the preparation for a matchday as a virtual manager, and this could be further helped by making the training model less static and simply a matter of sliders.

Just a couple of thoughts worth looking at here I thought I should share ahead of FM11 and perhaps future editions.

great post

The first edition of FIFA Manager I bought was crap, it focuses too much on cosmetics, i don't need, like previous posters have said, to buy a house or a car, its a management Simulation not RL, if i'm at my desktop, i'm at "work". I don't need a fictional car to get me there from my fictional home.

The first CM after the split was horribly poor, I do believe I returned it to GAME within my 7 day money back time and purchased my first FM.

Never looked back.

In hindsight, should have known better as BGS and Eidos didn't seem to know what was happening on their forums, with people contradicting themselves and the like.

The only management Sim I liked other than SI incarnations, was LMA Manager, and only because I could play it on the PSOne!

but achievements don't feel like much other than text at the moment. After I've promoted a League Two club Macclesfield (randomly chosen) to the Championship on close to zero transfer budget, I just think it enhances the game a bit more for a screen to pop up with the trophy and large words saying congratulations.

Would one prefer it if SI sent 12 staff round to your house with a case of MOET each time something happens on your current save?

EA are making you smile on this screen so you don't complain about their games faults.

but achievements don't feel like much other than text at the moment. After I've promoted a League Two club Macclesfield (randomly chosen) to the Championship on close to zero transfer budget, I just think it enhances the game a bit more for a screen to pop up with the trophy and large words saying congratulations.

Would one prefer it if SI sent 12 staff round to your house with a case of MOET each time something happens on your current save?

EA are making you smile on this screen so you don't complain about their games faults.

he was mentioning some of the things the other sims have better than fm , read better next time everyone know their faults no need to mention then all the time.

but no you prefer attacking him instead of having a normal conversation

The only thing that FIFA does better than FM is by looking great. The graphical presentation and the immersion that comes with it is way better. The OP do have a point in that FM does not reward the player in the same way that some managergames do (altough its really the only thing thats good about them). If SI just took some time to make "simple" cosmetic touches and smoother interactions within the gameworld it would be easier for many to immerse in an already rich gamingexperience and it would crush the only advantage that SI's competitors have. (Wow someone needs to pay me for this info... :D ) Thats my 2 cents anyway.

The only thing that FIFA does better than FM is by looking great. The graphical presentation and the immersion that comes with it is way better. The OP do have a point in that FM does not reward the player in the same way that some managergames do (altough its really the only thing thats good about them). If SI just took some time to make "simple" cosmetic touches and smoother interactions within the gameworld it would be easier for many to immerse in an already rich gamingexperience and it would crush the only advantage that SI's competitors have. (Wow someone needs to pay me for this info... :D ) Thats my 2 cents anyway.

That is why FM has the upper hand, because the ingame blows the competition away. Personally if they had more graphical side, the competition would surely would be no match for FM.

Overall, I agree with you.

Guest markyosullivan

Are you talking about FIFA Manager 10? My pc won't run it but I think I would enjoy it because its basically an upgraded version of Total Club Manager games which used to come out for PS2. Unfortunately it won't run on my pc (pc isn't too great), but I've grown to love the FM series.. <3

i have played both fifa manager 08,09,10 and fm 06,07,08,09,10

fifa manager 10 is fun for a totally seperate reason to fm i enjoy fifa graphics and its simulation of manager life etc but it has same flaw is always has done the match engine is awfull and has gotten worse for fifa manager 10 espcialy and i do find there stats of players off

but there are fun parts to it like the youth camps and being able to build shops abroad also being to negotiate your own sponsors all make it a fun game not very realistic but fun

and though it been harder this year most faults you can fix or other people will fix with the match engine by replacing some the editable match engine coding

but even that doesnt completely fix a terrible match engine that they never fix and dont bother on the forums really all i see is the users helping each other and there database is lacking aswell as the stats of players being off

i think they have some way to go before its a complete game

football manager is better in most ways and far more realistic to play the depth of it is impressive i can play fm10 lot longer i think the youth development and how you develop your youth players is much better and its match engine while has its odd flaw surpasses fifa manager and you come on forums and get feeling the si team care bout it customers more and what they have to say

i always pre order football manager where as ill just buy fifa manager when i can afford it

and as for cm10 i played it for 30 mins then turned it off and not played it again it doesnt have the realism of football manager and it doesnt have the fun simulation of fifa 10

I honestly don't see it happening. CM seems to be stuck in the reputation destroying cycle of maximum hype and minimum delivery. They feel the need to pull out every stop to make a name for themselves before release, and the product they do eventually release is a bug riddled catastrophe because they cannot afford to properly design a game after all this media expense.

The exact same thing has happened not so long ago to the Creative Assembly, developers of the Total War series. It is a high faluting, rooting tooting media and visual extraveganza that completely sucks when you stop watching youtube/gamespy "previews" and actually install the junk on your PC.

Add to that the whole "pay us to beta test our crap" and the mainstream game industry is an utter farce of internet junk. "I'll give your website special preview access and help you make a name while you give us a positive review or we wont come back".

CM is junk of the highest order. It is the worst kind of modern video game, a game that's not a game but just a giant advertising campaign from start to finish.

Look at Star Trek Online. Junk. Or Spore? Junk. What about Empire: Total War? Junk. Or Civilisation 4? Junk.

Anyone around here heard of these games? Ofcourse you have... That's the point. Why spend money making a game when you can fool the entire planet through media into buying this crap?

fifa manager 10 is fun for a totally seperate reason to fm i enjoy fifa graphics and its simulation of manager life etc but it has same flaw is always has done the match engine is awfull and has gotten worse for fifa manager 10 espcialy and i do find there stats of players off

but there are fun parts to it like the youth camps and being able to build shops abroad also being to negotiate your own sponsors all make it a fun game not very realistic but fun

and though it been harder this year most faults you can fix or other people will fix with the match engine by replacing some the editable match engine coding

but even that doesnt completely fix a terrible match engine that they never fix and dont bother on the forums really all i see is the users helping each other and there database is lacking aswell as the stats of players being off

football manager is better in most ways and far more realistic to play the depth of it is impressive i can play fm10 lot longer i think the youth development and how you develop your youth players is much better and its match engine while has its odd flaw surpasses fifa manager and you come on forums and get feeling the si team care bout it customers more and what they have to say

i always pre order football manager where as ill just buy fifa manager when i can afford it

and as for cm10 i played it for 30 mins then turned it off and not played it again it doesnt have the realism of football manager and it doesnt have the fun simulation of fifa 10

Cheers man :thup:

Lots of shiny stuff but not much "game".

A common issue these days. You learn to look out for this.

What about Empire: Total War? Junk. Or Civilisation 4? Junk.

Anyone around here heard of these games? Ofcourse you have... That's the point. Why spend money making a game when you can fool the entire planet through media into buying this crap?

I Disagree civ4 is awesome i have all its ex-packs , Total war is also good

every single one of the total war series has been outstanding tbh.... and calling civ4 junk is close to blasphemy..

these games are of the highest quality tbh.. and along with fm , are some of my favourite games..

and no.. fifa man will never overcome fm for the very simple reason of them being totally different games.. to illustrate my point, take racing games.. the likes of forza and burnout are totally different games but in the same genre of racing games...

same as fm and fifa man... totally different views to how to make a management game..

and champ man has a long way to go to overtake fm aswell.. all they have is a shoddy duplicate database that tries to hard to be as comprehensive as fm's and a view good ideas badly implemented..

fm slowly but surely (and solidly) improves and innovates with each instalment... some of the newer features arent to some fellow fm stalwarts taste but no-one can deny Si are improving the game slowly..

Archived