FM10: International squad selection should be improved

Hi,

I have found that international squad selection seems to focus on reputation of the player and club too much instead of form, age or playing time. For example, in my Tottenham save in November 2009, Jenas (26, two league starts, last five games 6.74), Huddlestone (22, two league starts, last five games 6.96) and Crouch (28, 1 league start, last five games 6.98). In real life these players would not be anywhere near even being considered for the squad, let alone actually being picked. This is not a one-off situation and I have noticed this in other cases as well. Will this be adjusted for FM11?

Hi,

I have found that international squad selection seems to focus on reputation of the player and club too much instead of form, age or playing time. For example, in my Tottenham save in November 2009, Jenas (26, two league starts, last five games 6.74), Huddlestone (22, two league starts, last five games 6.96) and Crouch (28, 1 league start, last five games 6.98). In real life these players would not be anywhere near even being considered for the squad, let alone actually being picked. This is not a one-off situation and I have noticed this in other cases as well. Will this be adjusted for FM11?

Whats wrong with it?

Heskey has been picked for England despite having a very poor season. Yes he has played a lot of games but has only scored 3 goals, which for a striker is absolutely awful. Crouch has been picked despite being pretty average all season.

On a different note, all of the following have been left out of varios world cup squads despite having very good seasons, better than many players who were picked for their nation:

Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina)

Juan Riquelme (Argentina)

Ever Banega (Argentina)

Karim Benzema (France)

Ronaldinho (Brazil)

Pato (Brazil)

Marcelo (Brazil)

Sebastien Frey (France)

So I don't see whats wrong. Its not uncommon to see surprise selections and players being dropped who didn't deserve it.

Hi,

SI must have told Fabio to call up Jamie Carragher as well!

I think it is weighted too much on rep but it only needs a little tweaking.

My only issue with international selection, is that I keep being criticised in the media for picking too many of my club teams players. I pick them because I've built by club team into a largely English, world class squad, it stands to reason that I'm going to have a lot of them in the England squad. I wish there was a way in the game to justify my selection to the media, or at least have them look at the players(about 11-12 of them) and realise "yeah, actually, they all deserve to be there".

I dont think so. Like the rest of us Fab has probably just been playing FM!

Yea good one! :thup: Just like Lippi selecting his "favorite" players instead of players who actually should go to the 2010WC

:( I hate to say it but the Azzurri are gonna look awful *sigh*

Does the game have horoscopes? If not, then they should be there considering that Domenech chooses his squads based on the players' horoscopes and other astrological considerations. That's why certain players have not been chosen to the French NT in his reigns as manager. The latest victim was Benzema for the WC. (Also, on a totally unrelated matter, but still dealing with astrology, there's the omission of number 13 for friendlies/competitions that have no set squad numbers in FM that has no basis in real life.)

I wish there was a temporary player option.

So if I call up Michael Owen to replace an injured Rooney, then when Rooney is fully fit Owen is removed and Rooney is called back up again.

It could be that your main goalkeeper is injured, ok get another goalkeeper in to make up the "3 goalkeeper must" but when that goalkeeper is fit again, get rid of the temp and bring back in my main player.

You should be able to select players that ALWAYS get into your squad.

Perhaps - 1 Goalkeeper, 3 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers that are always in the team.

That's on 9 players and you then have 17 more to get anyway to make the 26 man squad.

But I'd still want an injured player only to be replaced by a temp who is removed when the injured player returns.

And I'd want those 9 players to be in the squad unless injured.

So basically a way to Mark players as Regular and Temporary/Replacement players.

That would mean that i could assign someone to be a replacement temporarily for Rooney if he's injured. When Rooney gets injured I'm presented with a list of Replacement players on my list that I want to call up.

If a midfielder is injured I get a list of temporary midfielders I can call up.

This isn't really the thread I'm looking for but it'll have to do.

Here's my beef with international management:

I'm Ghana manager heading into the 2010 world cup, I choose a friendly squad for a match and get the following comment - 'Ghana squad has no homebased players, its a disgrace and a worry for the domestic game'

I'm Ghana!! I don't have any African leagues loaded (I don't think SI even make them?). How am I supposed to select home grown players? How many Ghana based players are in the squad IRL?

Yes make a fuss when I'm England boss, but not Ghana or whatever other minnows are out there with poor leagues and all players playing abroad.

Also KPB (who IRL has just accepted a Ghana call up) keeps rejecting my call ups. His PR says he would only consider a call up from Germany. Which I can accept, but why is there no option for me to tell him through player interaction that I'd see him as a key player and would love him to be my AMC at the WC. Even if it didn't work, I'd at least like to be able to say I tried.

Whats wrong with it?

Heskey has been picked for England despite having a very poor season. Yes he has played a lot of games but has only scored 3 goals, which for a striker is absolutely awful. Crouch has been picked despite being pretty average all season.

Emile Hekey is picked for England because he does a good job alongside Rooney, aswell as doing alot of good for the team in general. His goalscoring record and the amount of time he has played for Villa this term has little to do with anything. He is one of few players who is the exception to Capello's rule of picking players who are playing reguarly.

As for the OP, he has a point, the game picks international squads souley on reputation. On one of my saves Ishak Belfofdil scored a hat full of goals at the start of my 5th season with Lyon, but instead of picking him, they will sticking picking Benzema who hadn't only bagged a couple of goals in his first 10 games of the season.

On a different note, all of the following have been left out of varios world cup squads despite having very good seasons, better than many players who were picked for their nation:

Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina)

Juan Riquelme (Argentina)

Ever Banega (Argentina)

Karim Benzema (France)

Ronaldinho (Brazil)

Pato (Brazil)

Marcelo (Brazil)

Sebastien Frey (France)

So I don't see whats wrong. Its not uncommon to see surprise selections and players being dropped who didn't deserve it.

Esteban Cambiasso - I agree

Juan Riquelme - Retired from international football

Ever Banega - Wouldn't know

Karim Benzema - Poor season and has rarely started since Christmas. I dont agree with him been left out, but I understand why

Ronaldinho - Better than his recent seasons, but still not very good. Even lazier than Robinho

Pato - Hasn't played much since February

Marcelo - Brazil have much better options at left fullback

Sebatien Frey - Retired from international football

Could well be he doesn't fit in the Brazil squad right now, but from what I've seen he is a fantastic player now when back in form. Can't exactly question the man's talent. Strange when good players like that don't go to the WC. Will still be very interesting to follow the Brazil team though. Hope they win it, as I do every year.

Yeah, I've heard he's been bad for Brazil when selected. Not seen them as they're not available here. It's certainly understandable given the type of player he is. But on the other hand you want to see the best players in the WC, especially the very technically gifted ones. The last thing I want to watch from the WC is Greece or Inter-style football.

Even at his international peak Ronaldinho was a massive let down. He was supposed to be unstoppable at the last World Cup yet he got overshadowed by old man Zidane.

Well, Zidane is one of the most gifted players the sport has ever seen, so it's not a disgrace to be outshone by him. I agree he was a bit disappointing though. That was when he was ridiculously good for Barca too IIRC, so maybe his ego got ahead of him.

Archived