I want to be like Alex Ferguson, can I?

This may sound silly to some of you but I have one concern about FM careers.

Think about Alex Ferguson of ManUnited or Arsene Wenger of Arsenal, one may add more examples. Unless these guys really do something terribly wrong; their jobs are always stable and it looks like they can stay in their position as long as they want, for Ferguson it looks like as long he can breath. Both of these teams are very strong teams and starting each season with 1.place expectations but not winning the league does not make these guys worry. Of course this does not apply to every club and every manager in real life. But once a manager proves himself to a club he can become untouchable after some years and it definetely gives them lots of new options such as making long-term plans without worrying about each season desperately.

But in FM, I can take a club from local division and make them win premiership in a decade after a magnificant managing and despite all I did, chairman can still fire me after 1 at most 2 seasons when I do even a bit under the expectations.

-am I right in this observation?

-did any of you guys reach to this almost untouchable status in any club? and if you did how you did it?

-If such thing is not possible in FM at the moment, would you like to see it happen in future versions so that it can be possible to earn a very strong loyalty from chariman and club after multiple consecutive succusfull seasons?

I think this should be at least possible to achieve with calm chairmans who should be able trust you. Maybe the Abram. of Chelsea type of chairman can not show any patience but for sure there are lots of chairman who can count on the coach for long time when they find the right one.

This may sound silly to some of you but I have one concern about FM careers.

Think about Alex Ferguson of ManUnited or Arsene Wenger of Arsenal, one may add more examples. Unless these guys really do something terribly wrong; their jobs are always stable and it looks like they can stay in their position as long as they want, for Ferguson it looks like as long he can breath. Both of these teams are very strong teams and starting each season with 1.place expectations but not winning the league does not make these guys worry. Of course this does not apply to every club and every manager in real life. But once a manager proves himself to a club he can become untouchable after some years and it definetely gives them lots of new options such as making long-term plans without worrying about each season desperately.

But in FM, I can take a club from local division and make them win premiership in a decade after a magnificant managing and despite all I did, chairman can still fire me after 1 at most 2 seasons when I do even a bit under the expectations.

-am I right in this observation?

-did any of you guys reach to this almost untouchable status in any club? and if you did how you did it?

-If such thing is not possible in FM at the moment, would you like to see it happen in future versions so that it can be possible to earn a very strong loyalty from chariman and club after multiple consecutive succusfull seasons?

I think this should be at least possible to achieve with calm chairmans who should be able trust you. Maybe the Abram. of Chelsea type of chairman can not show any patience but for sure there are lots of chairman who can count on the coach for long time when they find the right one.

I've had several Manchester United saves and never got sacked. Some of them, I did win nearly everything, but others I struggled a bit more. However, I always was competitive and did win hardware often.

The reason Wenger and SAF, etc. aren't worried is because they are always around winning. For example, Arsenal finished in 3rd this year. It isn't as if these managers are finishing in 10th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, I always was competitive and did win hardware often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, like, they gave you a brand spanking new LCD monitor for your PC? Or do you mean silverware?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, I always was competitive and did win hardware often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, like, they gave you a brand spanking new LCD monitor for your PC? Or do you mean silverware? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly.

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Yeah, a well-worn issue this. SI have said they will deal with the confidence issue for the next release. It's mostly cosmetic on 8.0.2 but still not quite right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is good to hear that they recognised the issue and hopefully they will be able to improve it before next release.

Why don't you manage all the teams he did;

East Stirlingshire

St. Mirren

Aberdeen

Scotland

Manchester United

Set yourself the challenge; so you cannot move to any other team unless its the next in the list. So basically, you have to win loads with Aberdeen then become Scotland and win loads, then you might get the United Job.

I'm contemplating doing it. Not with Sir Alex, but following a players career (thinking about Ronaldo or Zidane; Ronaldo would be Cruzeiro-PSV-Barca-Inter-Real-AC and Zidane's would be Cannes-Bordeaux-Juve-Real).

Seems like a cool idea to me icon_smile.gif

Depends on your chairman. If he has the attributes of a Toxin or Roman, you're stuffed. If he has the attributes of a Steve Gibson, you're safe for life.

I've just got a payrise to make me the highest paid manager on the world and joint highest staff

(inc. players) - in 2010 I'm now on £125K per week (that's a cool $1 million per month). My chairman has faith, loyalty and patience, so I feel pretty damn secure icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> phnompenhandy:

I've just got a payrise to make me the highest paid manager on the world and joint highest staff

(inc. players) - in 2010 I'm now on £125K per week (that's a cool $1 million per month). My chairman has faith, loyalty and patience, so I feel pretty damn secure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you I hope they don't read that otherwise they may start to question your fiscal and accounting abilities!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul@neus:

If I were you I hope they don't read that otherwise they may start to question your fiscal and accounting abilities! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Au contraire In fact the current board confidence screen says, "We're considering sacking our accountant and giving you the job."! Classic! icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OJG9WHUFC:

Why don't you manage all the teams he did;

East Stirlingshire

St. Mirren

Aberdeen

Scotland

Manchester United

Set yourself the challenge; so you cannot move to any other team unless its the next in the list. So basically, you have to win loads with Aberdeen then become Scotland and win loads, then you might get the United Job.

I'm contemplating doing it. Not with Sir Alex, but following a players career (thinking about Ronaldo or Zidane; Ronaldo would be Cruzeiro-PSV-Barca-Inter-Real-AC and Zidane's would be Cannes-Bordeaux-Juve-Real).

Seems like a cool idea to me icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really good idea that. May try it sometime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul@neus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> phnompenhandy:

(inc. players) - in 2010 I'm now on £125K per week (that's a cool $1 million per month). My chairman has faith, loyalty and patience, so I feel pretty damn secure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you I hope they don't read that otherwise they may start to question your fiscal and accounting abilities! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we use £1 = $2 then technically the above calculation works.

4 x £125 = £500k

Lol, well what with 4 x £125,000 now being £1,000,000, God only knows what sort of investigation will soon follow! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually he said $1,000,000 which is about £500,000 icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The reason Wenger and SAF, etc. aren't worried is because they are always around winning. For example, Arsenal finished in 3rd this year. It isn't as if these managers are finishing in 10th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Wenger has gone three seasons without winning anything, some managers jobs would be in trouble.

I agree, the board are way to quick to fire you in FM. Its becoming the trend IRL though, I guess.

I think ive attained this with TNS in FM07 in 2033. I have won the Welsh Premier League once in that time (damn Llanelli's domination)but wona a fair few Welsh Cups and Welsh League Cups, and even made the Champions League group stage once. Even if i come tenth one year my status with the board ("absolutely delighted") hasnt changed since the 2nd season. It may have something to do with my initial reputation (international player) as well as the overall status of the class (as a Welsh club rather than a Spanish/English giant).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niko19:

Lol, well what with 4 x £125,000 now being £1,000,000, God only knows what sort of investigation will soon follow! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually he said $1,000,000 which is about £500,000 icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. Altho' I'm British, I'm living in a country where the Yankee Dollar is the international currency - and I get paid in $$ (rather less than my managerial persona, if the truth be told), so I tend to think in that currency. It's still shed-loads whichever way you look at it. icon_smile.gif

And also what bothers me is that these long term goals are not flexible at all.

I manage Ajax and board has set a goal to win Premier Division in 2 years plan. Last season I didn't succeed and PSV took the title, I was the 2nd, but in the same time reached to semi-finals of ECC.

In real life the board should be a little disappointed by domestic season and delighted about success in Champions league (I did beat both Barca and Manu to get so far).

Now in the beginning of the season I've started with 9-3-0 series in my first 12 games, I'm on the top of the table, 9 points above the others, but in the club confidence screen the board is still "disappointed about the resultes last season and urges me to redouble my efforts to meet long-term expectations". This seems like they're doing their best to add pressure to me, although everything works out fine at the moment.

well i am manager of rangers in Fm in the year 2023 have one 13 scottish cups 10 league cups and have one 13 SPL's in a row and have only been under fire once and that was when we had a new chairman who's name funnily enough was David weir Lmao

I think there should be more chance for the clubs to show a little loyalty. I won the champions league, the premiership and league cup in my first season at United. Second season we underachieved and came 3rd, but also won the super cup, charity shield, club world championship, fa cup , league cup and uefa cup. I was sacked that season, a bit unfair i thought.

But then thats football these days chairmen who have no football knowledge they just see the money and expect managers to win everything.

Archived