Do you ever quit and play again?

I have done this way back when I first started mainly if one my most important player got a major injury -- this was for wins, losses and draws. Then I started to use editors to get him back for a short while, but I stopped doing this years ago. If you just restart or edit to ignore injuries or losses it seems to me that you're not getting the full extent of the game. You will be playing with your best 11 at all times and/or winning every single competition. There is something very fun about turning around a bad run, finding a new talent because your top three strikers are out and you HAVE to play this kid and he gets hot as hell and leads your team to glory in the final month and scores the winner in the CL final. That scenario happened to me in FM08. I don't look down on those that restart or edit, but how many of them have a memory like that from a two-year-old game? Or getting the sack, building a new team up and targeting your old team for total destruction? I just think you miss out on the full game and a lot of fun, plus it seems a lot more time consuming -- playing the same game over & over until you get what you want. But to each their own.

Have to agree with the above. I used to reload when i got drummed or lost half my team to injury, but now i've stopped. I've actually started enjoying losing some games, because the retribution on the next game always feels sweeter. Lost nearly all my defenders to injury this year, but still managed to get into the playoffs, which went down to the last game of the season. First game went down 2-1 away and thought that it was another year in the championship. A few years ago i would of reloaded, but this time carried on and won 5-1 in the second match. I then went on to win 1-0 in the final with a goal scored by a kid who was playing due to the main player been injured :D

It's crap seeing someone like Bastian Schweinsteiger up for free transfer and knowing that you could get him if you used an editor. But when i’ve done that in the past the player normally underperforms anyway. Also i think it’s one of the reasons i’ve got a bit bored knowing i could buy any player or win anything.

Though saying that i did stay up to the late hours last night on a signing spree ready for the premiership. Looked over what i'd bought and realised having 20 defenders maybe wasn't the way to go ;) So i didn't save what i'd done and decided doing it at normal hours with a clear head was a better option.

A few years ago I replayed a play off final as I'd lost it first time around and at the time must have decided I didn't want to play another season in League 1.

Trouble is I ended up feeling so guilty about it that I quit that save shortly afterwards and restarted, and have never done it again. :D

Quite a lot of random stuff happens in the game, as it does in real football. To me one of the main points of the game is being able to overcome the bad random stuff that gets thrown at you - without this it wouldn't be half as much fun and the game wouldn't be half as satisfying.

Years ago I reloaded a game that I lost against a relegation threatened side.

There were two games left and I couldn't even qualify for the play off's but I was so *issed off with the result, the two big injuries and the sending off.

I won the reloaded match and two games later, that side was relegated by 1 point.

I felt very guilty :)

I avoid this kind of thing now.

Now I only reload if there has been some disaster other than a bad result.

In my latest save I have reloaded once, after my latest signing broke his leg in pre season training and was out for 9/12 months. I dont feel the slightest bit guilty.

I dont renew staff contracts if I get promoted because I can get better staff the following season as my clubs rep goes up. However, if i cant get better staff, I reload and give my existing staff new contracts.

This part of the game has always annoyed me tbh. I feel a clubs rep should go up as soon as they win promotion as it would in RL. This way you can start planning for the new season early. You should be able to use any left over transfer funds to get better players and you should be able to attract better staff before the season begins. So I dont feel guilty about this.

I have sometimes also reloaded at the start of a season to get better regens. I only do this if I have a club with top class academy as it is not unrealistic to produce a future star. Again, I dont feel guilty about this.

All in all, you should play it the way you see it and no one else should criticise.

I cheated yesterday after I started playing with new patch. I had a successful game and when I installed the latest patch my game changed and I couldn't win. I wanted to keep this save going but didn't feel it was fair that I start to all of a sudden lose loads of games when I'd done so well before. I thought about maybe just replaying games until I win until I got used to the new changes.

I have now decided to start a new game instead.

I always have two serious games with each version of FM. I take whatever the virtual football gods deal me and am happy with it. One is always with Liverpool and the other is a random team based on the complex algorithm of picking a name out of the virtual hat otherwise known as the random number generator.

I also have what I call a 'scenario' game and this is where I use cheating methods, editors and what have you with abandon to create an arbitary reality for a future game. For instance, my current 'scenario' game involves Bristol Rovers (Thankyou RNG) and the evil empire on the other side of the m62 known for being the devil incarnate, or, if you prefer, Manchester United.

The idea is that I keep the top team (Man Utd in this case) broke and in debt through a Real Time Editor while making sure Bristol Rovers players are always better on average than the rest of the current league/division they are competing in, then I holiday through a few months at a time, make sure everything is set smooth, remake the debts at the top team etc etc. I never give money, sell players or artificially change managers of either team, just changing the stats of the players at the smaller team and make sure the higher team is always in debt.

I keep this going for around 7-8 seasons until the teams have essentially changed places in stature. I will at that stage, remove debts and add myself as manager to the now former big side and play as normal. Can I restore former glories with most of the infrastructure in place to do so? Will the smaller team now dominating the top division and europe fall back into relative obscurity?

It makes for a change in pace and while I agree I could always use a database editor to swap teams around from the start, I like the ingame history to read as somewhat realistic, where the changes of fortune of each side are recorded over the seasons.

Oh come on...

A game should be fun, and if somebody gets frustrated by some (not so uncommon) ridiculous events, I don't really see what's SO wrong with reloading an odd game.

I think some people should get off their high horse and let people enjoy the game (game, not job, not mission not goal in life) in whatever way they find it more entertaining.

While I agree there's little point in reloading every single game until you get the "right" outcome, I must admit sometimes the game almost BEGS you to quit.

So, to the OP question my answer is: yes. Rarely and under particularly absurd/frustrating circumstances I do quit the game.

I play FM to have FUN, and when the game stops to be fun and makes me wanna punch the monitor, it's time to lose my temper on something more important ;)

Good post.

Whenever a new version of FM comes out that has some new feature or annoying matchday bug that wasn't present in the previous version, I will sometimes save/reload to a) try out the new features; b) if I feel that a "bug" or "lack of realism" ;) has cost me the game, but I only do this for the first couple of seasons while I get used to the new version of the game, after which I even stop "anti-crash safety saving" to take away the temptation of just hitting "quit game" after a bad result. :D

But, whenever I have save/reloaded, I'm obviously aware that I have "cheated" and so I don't get proper satisfaction from that season.

Although I sometimes use the editor, I would never reload a game. I used to reload cup finals and playoffs when I was a kid until I won them, but I wouldn't dream of doing it nowadays.

Same here.

Well, it's difficult to understand how that's cheating and the 40 yard screamer isn't, or the stupid offsides, or the erratic behaviour ... I don't do that but I can't consider it cheating. Cheating is what the AI does, like changing the tactics with instant results when they're completely unbalanced. But people loves to flame some guys and hail SI for everything. Opinions...

Well, it's difficult to understand how that's cheating and the 40 yard screamer isn't, or the stupid offsides, or the erratic behaviour ... I don't do that but I can't consider it cheating. Cheating is what the AI does, like changing the tactics with instant results when they're completely unbalanced. But people loves to flame some guys and hail SI for everything. Opinions...

quite right...

Oh that's the most annoying thing...

Touchline instructions take like 5 mins to get applied, often taking effect when it's too late already, while AI teams can switch back and forth from 4-5-1 to 4-2-4 in the blink of an eye...

What about the typical "disaster game"? I had one of those just last night: away against the bottom team.

20mins into the game and they injure my playmaking-top scorer, fine, let's play hard too

30. min, straight red card to my DL, so I have to turn my team inside out.

0-0 at half time, I encourage the guys, but alas the usual "defensive line fall asleep on a freekick" situation cost me the 1-0 goal.

No big deal, we push forward, get 3 goals disallowed but finally pull level, with 15 mins to go.

And then, two more players got a knock, and my Star Striker gets tackled down and seriously injured.

ALT+F4, and I didn't feel guilty at all. Sod it, there's a limit to the amount of bullcrap and bad luck I can take in one match

Most recently, however, I have had to reload occasionally because I'll win a match, then the game crashes. I HAVE to replay it. If I lose the replay I will reload until I get my win back. I think that's only fair.

HOWEVER, I know there's a moral dilemma here: what if I lose before the crash then win the replay? Honestly? It's never happened so far, so I can't tell you. I like to think I'd reload for the defeat, but thankfully 10.2 seems to have stopped my crashing problems so I'll never have to find out ;-)

Same here :thup:

I used to do it a lot when I was younger, and I still felt extremely proud when I won the league :D

i try not to. but recently i did. cos i lost against the bottom club of the league, awarding them their 1st win of the season. okay i thought id take revenge. leage cup semi final came along and its the day for the draw, i saw them and i hoped for revenge, and i got it. by the way been making negative comments on their manager everyweek cos i hate them that bad.

1st leg away i lead 2-0 but draw 2-2. was furious but i thought theres 1 last chance to set things right. 2nd leg at home i lead 3-0 at half time and i told my team not to get complacent, and 3/4 of the team get unhappy and draw 3-3 by 90mins and after et. lost due to away goals. i just couldnt understand why i cant tell my players not to be complacent. i always check my team talk feedback and seems i get the worst results when i choose that option.

anyway i reloaded and at HT it was 2-2. tried a different method and encourage them abit and we went on to win 5-2. team talks dun really make much sense to me at the moment.

It's very funny to read all those posts that say "I was doing that when I was young but god no not anymore" hahahahahahaha. Like they are talking to the Judge about smoking canabis.

Like I said in the past the game wants to upset your game plan every now and then. The reason is that winning streaks would get out of hand if they let their normal game algorithm handle the matches. So every now and then it throws in corrective actions like red cards, injuries, screamers etc.

I always reload. I am experienced enough to know when I lost because of the wrong team talk or strategy (or just bad luck) and when because the game decided that I would lose. This does not happen anymore in my save because I am not allowing it.

I don't do it, but I don't care if anyone else does. In fact, I'd encourage people to quit and reload as often as they see fit if that's what floats your boat. If losing makes you miserable, but reloading and replaying until you win makes you happy; then help yourself.

It's your game, play it as you wish. :thup:

Archived