FM10: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition

Guest roberto922

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly slower as in waiting ages between games or slightly slower as in just back to FM09 speed?

I never played 09 mate. I only ever buy every other FM. But the waiting time gets slower for FA Vase and FA Cup fixtures, but for normal league games, you will not notice a difference.

Just led the team to a somewhat undeserved cup win against Lowestoft. Without our captain and vice-captain it was always going to be hard for us, but we battled through it and gained a win through a controversial penalty and a brilliant finish by a young lad called Steve Irwin...

Lowestoft 0-2 St. Blazey

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!

Well done, but is that St. Blazey in the Northern Premier League, the Southern league must be full of far southern Cornish teams then. ;)

I guess it would be impossible to specify all the leagues catchment areas, the BSN and BSS is bad enough, let alone 15 different regional leagues.

I'm struggling at the moment in my first season. I just can't seem to get the ball into the back of the net. None of my players really have anything going for them.

What attributes are you guys finding to be the critical ones in the low low leagues? Should I just be buying up a bunch of pacey midfielders and strikers, and playing a counterattacking, direct style game?

Also, another question/statement, do you guys think that the stars that scouts give for players in the lower leagues are worth more than a pinch of salt?

I have a team of 5 star players, and we still struggle. I bought a guy who is one of the quickest players in the league, but is rated at 1 and a half stars, despite being able to beat everyone to the ball. I'm thinking I was silly to put faith in the players that are rated the highest.

Will anyone make an update with the actual players in the teams Ive started as Bewdley Town FC & there is none of the squad in there, yes I know that its just a file with just the teams with made up players but it would be alot better if they had the proper players in the squad, also is there any logo,facepacks etc for all the lower divisions.

I timed the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round and it was 22 minutes... Disaster. Once again we are overperforming, our best striker is now Stephen Dobbie, an experienced scotsman. And guys, you will never believe this but I have just got Freddie Ljungberg on a free transfer from America! He says he wants to retire next year though. :( If we keep up our current form we could make a decent run for the playoffs as well.

Well done on that. A touch unrealistic though, that he would accept £5 per week, after the career he has had. (Not that thats anything to do with you, just seems weird. Maybe something for SI to look at)

That is a bug I think. I have signed two players over the age of 30, offering them high wages, and they get turned into youth contracts worth £5 a week...

Weird phenomenon. Is anyone else feeling like they are being snowed under by unnecessary cup games? I have got to 2 cup finals, won 1 and lost 1, but in both tournaments, only about 6 teams entered...

That is a bug I think. I have signed two players over the age of 30, offering them high wages, and they get turned into youth contracts worth £5 a week...

Weird phenomenon. Is anyone else feeling like they are being snowed under by unnecessary cup games? I have got to 2 cup finals, won 1 and lost 1, but in both tournaments, only about 6 teams entered...

Actually it's more true to life than I thought it would be as IRL some leagues do have league cups, then there's the county senior cups and FA Vase/Trophy, FA Cup...

Example, IRL last month my team, Lowestoft Town played 7 cup games (including a Suffolk senior cup tie) and had no league games at all, on Saturday just gone we had our first league game for 32 days. :eek:

I just get a little annoyed by my players getting injured in nothing cup finals.

We needed a draw in our final game to go up as champions, but guess what, we lost 2-0...

St. Blazey have just bought a ticket for the lottery of the playoffs.

EDIT: Only one-legged playoff semi's at this level. We were away at Ramsgate, luckily we keep up our 100% record against them in all competitions, by beatingthem 2-0 with goals by Dobbie and Oliseh. Roll on St. Neots, who we haven't beaten all year, and who humbled us 5-1 at home in the regular season. Joy of joys. Wish me luck guys. :D :D

Do the minor cups have any sort of prize money?

Good luck in the play offs, is that to get into the Northern Premier Premier?

No, into the Blue Square North/South. Doesn't matter now anyway, we got humped 3-0 in the final, and they missed a penalty and had a goal disallowed for offside, so no complaints from me about the result. I admit to nearly breaking my hand on the wall when their third goal went in. :mad:

First half of the season done with Ludlow Town, and things aren't going brilliantly, although with how tight the league is a good run could put us back in contention. We are currently 12th of 21, but only 7 short of a promotion place.

Lack of money meant looking through my youth squad for some decent players in order to be able to sell some of the deadwood that were on high wages but still unsellable due to no backups. After doing this and more or less completely gutting the squad I went on a bit of a spending spree, bringing in a 16 year old right midfielder from AFC Telford, who was already rated as better than my senior players. Then a 16 year old AMC/FC from West Auckland, who was also better than what I had, was tempted by a first team place.

We are having real issues scoring however, with only 17 goals from our first 17 games. I have attempted to rectify this by going for the law of averages: a quick striker with useless finishing from my youth team is now my first choice alongside a decent target man. Hopefully once they gel we can put a few results together.

I was 1/5 to gain promotion. \o/

My media prediction is 1st, too.

I guess the signs are promising. Although I've not actually signed any players yet (I've taken about 30 on Trial, but didn't like any of them :D ) - I've managed to beat 3 teams 3 or more tiers above me, with just my youth team, in the pre-season friendlies. So when I do finally assemble myself a team of half decent players, I should theoretically walk the league. :thup:

I've changed my mind and gone Dudley Town :)

As Dudley is the largest town in England never to have had a league football club and Dudley Sport wear green (can't manage a green team ;) Dudley Town it is!

With a population of 194,919 the potential is there to get them a large support :) in theory anyway!

With a nickname of The Duds it might be a difficult challenge ;)

• SI Staff

I'd consider this, but only if I could play as Warrington Town...they're my 'home town' ( I was born in Paisley but I grew up there)...but they're 'only' level 8, but are *****.

• SI Staff
I've changed my mind and gone Dudley Town :)

As Dudley is the largest town in England never to have had a league football club and Dudley Sport wear green (can't manage a green team ;) Dudley Town it is!

With a population of 194,919 the potential is there to get them a large support :) in theory anyway!

With a nickname of The Duds it might be a difficult challenge ;)

Actually, Warrington is 196k. I always thought they'd make for a real-life LLM challenge for someone...until Liverpool decided to stick their reserve team in the town, and now that might not work (they've had over 10k to games for reserve matches versus Man Ure).

I'm planning to start this maybe tomorrow but it seems someone was unprepared lol :p.

So just to be sure, you can pick any team below the BSN/S and all the rules in the original post are all correct now? ^_^

Edit: Heh so I read through every single post and looks like a great challenge. Any chance of updating the OP though so people who read the OP might follow the same ideas that everyone else is doing, otherwise it's kind of pointless. What about the add key staff item, as like it has been mentioned I believe you only get 16 year olds in some leagues if it's left unticked?

I'll have to take a quick peek at the db and see if any of the local teams are on it :D.

slight problem my assistant manager has been poached as a manager for another team.... i was initially not to fussed as he was rubbish and i got £1k compensation.

However problem now is that i have placed an advert for a new assistant manager and they all want £300-£600 salaray, i can only afford £170!! i have done several searches but after manually going through about 70 players i cant find anyone interested!!]

can anyone help?

slight problem my assistant manager has been poached as a manager for another team.... i was initially not to fussed as he was rubbish and i got £1k compensation.

However problem now is that i have placed an advert for a new assistant manager and they all want £300-£600 salaray, i can only afford £170!! i have done several searches but after manually going through about 70 players i cant find anyone interested!!]

can anyone help?

Only thing I can suggest is keep running the advert.

I'm having a crack at this one.... taking on Sporting Bengal United in the Kent Premier League. 5000-1 for the title, should be interesting!

That really means not a lot though as no teams are mid table, they are either 5000-1 or 1-12, it really doesn't make any difference. St Blazey was the team I picked purely because they were one of the teams on 1-5... Didn't make winning the leagues any easier though I would imagine.

Archived