FM10: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition

Guest roberto922

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another update, second in the league on goal difference ahead of Bradford, with 4 games left 5 points clear of Rushden and Diamonds, and who knows, maybe we could even stretch to just overtaking Gillingham at the top of the league. I will update with our last 4 matches...

Aldershot 1-2 St. Blazey

Aldershot put 4 past us at our own ground in the other fixture, something no other team has ever done when I was at the club as manager, so I went out with a counterattacking formation, trying to utilise Otte and Fletcher on the wings. We were 2-0 up at half time, Dobbie and Thompson grabbing goals, before a late consolation gave the impression of a close match, it wasn't, we just looked more up for it than our middle of the table opponents.

St. Blazey 0-2 Cambridge

Cambridge are another team that we can never be able to beat, only recording one solitary win against them ever. We still looked tired from the match thre days earlier, and after going a goal down and losing Peter Thompson to a fractred cheekbone which will keep him out for the rest of the season, we slumped to our first defeat in nearly 3 months. The only good thing is that all the teams around us lost too, and league leaders Gillingham seem to have hit a bad patch, they lost 5-0 away at a deeply troubled Accrington Stanley.

Lincoln 1-1 St. Blazey

We travelled to Sincil Bank knowing that any win would see us promoted. We took the lead through Otte on the hour, but then conceded right away to a wonderful solo goal. It was only thanks to our keeper Georgiou that we drew this match. It all comes down to the final day. Amazingly, despite our patchy form of late, this draw saw us move up into first in the league. Due to our hugely superior goal difference, we are all but mathematically up now...

Our captain has dislocated his shoulder while showing off in the weights room, just what we need ahead of the biggest game of my career...

Accrington Stanley 0-2 St. Blazey

Accrington was probably the team I would have picked to play in a promotion decider, but in all fairness the unhappiest team in history gave us a good game. Nerves early on caused us to misplace a few passes, but a goal from the ever dependable Dobbie set us up well for the second half. Stanley hit the bar twice early on in the second half, but when Dobbie was scythed down late on and scored the penalty, the promotion party could begin. It was only then that I checked the table and saw that Gillingham and Bradford lost at home! So we are the champions by 3 clear points. Gillingham's poor run in almost certanly cost them the title, while Bradford were lucky to have a better goal difference than Barnet, as that was the only thing that kept them in the promotion place which they had held since November.

League One better watch out, the Cornish team is coming!!

Have had a play around this morning and which team you start with REALLY has a big effect on the transfer potentials. Teams from London will find players from the bigger London teams whereas if your from Devon (like me) you won't find them. And a team with 200 rep will be able to find up to 6x more players than a 50 rep team on the same filters.

Have had a play around this morning and which team you start with REALLY has a big effect on the transfer potentials. Teams from London will find players from the bigger London teams whereas if your from Devon (like me) you won't find them. And a team with 200 rep will be able to find up to 6x more players than a 50 rep team on the same filters.

I would imagine that Cornwall clubs have that same problem, only worse...

Indeed, because they are near to me I had a looksie, the biggest club they can find from is Truro (not exactly big) and usually find 300 suitable targets, teams from the midlands for instance can find 11,000 players which can include Aston Villa .

Indeed, because they are near to me I had a looksie, the biggest club they can find from is Truro (not exactly big) and usually find 300 suitable targets, teams from the midlands for instance can find 11,000 players which can include Aston Villa .

That is really just because their scouting networks can only reach so far I guess.

For those who havn't seen it, I restarted and am doing a career thread on my game now which can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=171564

Any way, the real reason I posted was I've just finished season one and have signed former Monaco and Fulham midfield star Slyvian Legwinski - he might be 36 years old but in tier 9 he should be pure gold. :D

Have managed to sign the following for my tier 9 season, although now I am expected to win the league, FA vase and Les Phillips cups

Slyvain Legwinski (Former Fulham / Monaco)

Chris Perry (former Tottenham)

Marcus Stewart (former Ipswich)

Alex Russell (former Bristol City)

Danny Seaborne (Exeter City)

St. Blazey: The season in review

The season started out brilliantly, as we were playing with a natural flair after strengthening the squad. We were not just winning games we were dominating teams and scoring 5+ when we used to score 2...

league table Took the points record off of Burnley and also smashed the scoring record with over 150 goals.

Our signing of the season was probably Mariano Bonetti, a dogged Italian midfielder recommended to me by the ass man to help out with a problem in the CM position. If I can keep buying players of that quality for that price, then we should win the prem in about 3 seasons. :D

I have a great strike force at Bamber Bridge now. Phil Eastwood, Phil Denney and Adam Warlow with Ali Benson coming off the bench. Magical.

However, the same can't be said for my defence. Only actually have 4 defenders at the club so I more or less always have to play a youth Kid. My midfield is good though, DeBolla, Bailey, Connors, it's all good there.

Thats impressive, what I done Dafuge's challenge last year the Championship was damn hard.

Am currently loving this season, am rotating players nicely and still winning most matches with ease. :D

I normally give up at the championship, but if you have a semi decent chairman, you will probably win games, tactics are also important. I had a 13million transfer budget this year, only spent 12 of it, but teh team is looking good so far, could we do a Kaiserslautern?

Am getting a little bored now which sucks as I really wanted to do this all the way to the end. I don't think the difference in the tier 7 to 10 leagues is big enough, if you have a good team early on it becomes a walk in the park. I can usually even beat tier 6 teams and overall have a 69% win rating. Might try a different type of game and come back to this.

Am getting a little bored now which sucks as I really wanted to do this all the way to the end. I don't think the difference in the tier 7 to 10 leagues is big enough, if you have a good team early on it becomes a walk in the park. I can usually even beat tier 6 teams and overall have a 69% win rating. Might try a different type of game and come back to this.

Meh, I still have a 63% win record in the prem, winning doesn't get boring for me, I have an outside chance of winning the league now as well, which was lucky, as it might increase my meagre pay packet...

Whilst winning is good it also creates a chance of it getting stagnant. At least in the Premiership you have the chance to get far better players and play in Europe next season; whereas I will have the same players for the next few seasons and will be expected to win the same cups and as I only loaded English leagues can't move around Europe.

bah, am not sure

finally got promoted from tier 10 at my fourth attempt!

can anyone tell me if more players get interested as a level 9 club? my keeper with a club record 115 league appearances has been rated 1 star since day 1 but i havent managed to find a replacement that hasnt been poached!!

oh yeah my regen striker ended up with 45 goals in 42 games - pretty impressive!

finally got promoted from tier 10 at my fourth attempt!

can anyone tell me if more players get interested as a level 9 club? my keeper with a club record 115 league appearances has been rated 1 star since day 1 but i havent managed to find a replacement that hasnt been poached!!

oh yeah my regen striker ended up with 45 goals in 42 games - pretty impressive!

That is good, guess who I bought back guys? PAUL GORDON!!

Trying to get him to beat Dobbie's club goals record after Dobbie himself went to Chelsea, our rivals, for over 20m pounds...

Whilst winning is good it also creates a chance of it getting stagnant. At least in the Premiership you have the chance to get far better players and play in Europe next season; whereas I will have the same players for the next few seasons and will be expected to win the same cups and as I only loaded English leagues can't move around Europe.

bah, am not sure

Completeing this challenge would be a big honour, especially if your one of the first to do so :thup:

Unknown hacker looks likely to get there way before me :p

Qualified from the Champs league group of death in 2nd place, stil unbeaten in the league after 20 games. Looks like the league is in the bag for this year barring a spectacular collapse... Out of the league cup which is a shame, but FA cup is my target, champions league very unlikely as Real Madrid look insanely good now.

EDI: Just drawn Schalke in the 2nd round, wll try and beat them and see where we are after that.

UH, any details you can give on the improvement in the club? Stadium size? affiliate clubs?

Stadium size has gone up exponencially since the start, our original stadium only had just under 3000 seats, but now has 15000, selling out all the time, looking good for another expansion, called the St. Blazey Stadium. Youth facilities and training facilities have gone up from minimal to average in the last 3 seasons. As for affiliates I don't really attach much importance to them, but I do have a partnership with Liskeard which means I have to lend them players and pay them some money every now and then... Used to have Man Utd and Leeds as parents, and Accrington Stanley, but they obviously got cancelled when I got into the same league as them or went above them.

Since the youth facilities have been upgraded I have noticed a definite improvement in youth prospects, Robert Gleeson came through he academy and he already has people chasing after him at the age of 18/19. Looks like I might have to let him go as Liverpool are really pushing for a transfer soon.

2013-2014 Lancing Sussex County Division 1

after taking 4 years to get out of level 10 we managed to clear level 9 in one year, yet again Domingos was a beast with 46 goals in 42 games.

only interesting thing of note was a takeover which saw a £200k loan which puts us back in a positive bank balance

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3527/20132014.jpg

2013-2014 Lancing Sussex County Division 1

after taking 4 years to get out of level 10 we managed to clear level 9 in one year, yet again Domingos was a beast with 46 goals in 42 games.

only interesting thing of note was a takeover which saw a £200k loan which puts us back in a positive bank balance

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3527/20132014.jpg

Levels 8-10 are practically the same, prepare yourself for another promotion next year.

Afternoon chaps. Just to let you know, I've opened up FM10 again. (To play alongside FM08 ;) )

Played a few more games with Croydon Municipal, and am starting to find my way around the game a bit more now. :thup:

Currently sat top of the CL1, with a game in hand. I've amassed a pretty decent squad, but lose a player about every 2 weeks to other clubs, due to the fact they're on AMA contracts. :( - How are people getting on here? Anyone made it to a substantial division yet?

Well I finally got the time to get started here, though in the end I didn't feel enough love for any of the NW Counties Division 1 teams to want to take any of them from Level 10 to glory. So - I used the editor to clone one of these teams, renamed it after the village where I live and I'm away. Unfortunately this gratuitous use of the editor means I won't be able to participate in this challenge but I'll be doing so in spirit and will keep checking in to see how everyone's getting on. The St Blazey miracle is spurring me on to achieve the same with my fictional little unit ;)

Archived