dafuge's FM10 challenge

Boston United, Season 1, 2010-11 - Blue Square North

Finished - 12th

League Table

Best Eleven

Transfers

Season Summary

We managed to bring in a lot of youth from Scotland and clear out a lot of the deadwood, leaving us with only three players from the original squad - Canoville, Camm and Wood. They all went on to play fairly important roles, but it was a fairly average season all-in-all. Nobody was that great, although Christie was able to grab 16 goals over the course of the season which wasn't a bad return.

Career Overview

Season	League			Position	Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11	Blue Square North	12th		None

Next Season

I suspect that even some our good performers will be on their way next season, we really need to up the quality of the squad and earn a promotion as soon as possible before the money runs out. With the wage limit now capped at under £4,000 that could be difficult to achieve.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None at all :(

I've just been offered the Aston Villa job to replace Alan Shearer. Clicked on his profile and he has some knowledge of about 12 countries inc England. A English coach has knowledge of only 6.

I haven't gained any knowledge from managers or players for about 3 versions of fm and i play about 50-60 seasons in each fm.

I've just been offered the Aston Villa job to replace Alan Shearer. Clicked on his profile and he has some knowledge of about 12 countries inc England. A English coach has knowledge of only 6.

I haven't gained any knowledge from managers or players for about 3 versions of fm and i play about 50-60 seasons in each fm.

I picked up some knowledge as an international manager with FM09, but it soon disappeared leaving me with just England.

I picked up some knowledge as an international manager with FM09, but it soon disappeared leaving me with just England.

i picked up knowledge of a county in fm09 when managing that nation or managing in that nation, but as you say it disappeared very quickly when i left.

i was talking about knowledge gained as a result of friendships.

I've had a Serbian ass man for the last 8 seasons - would have thought I'd have picked up some of his knowledge by now if I was ever going to, but of course, I haven't :(

However, I did just win my Champions League group :) it'll surprise me if we win the whole thing this season still, we're just not good enough consistently enough against the big boys. The league win (and good performance so far this season) has been down to being good at bullying the lesser lights.

I've had a Serbian ass man for the last 8 seasons - would have thought I'd have picked up some of his knowledge by now if I was ever going to, but of course, I haven't :(

i had an irish player for 12 seasons and was listed on his favoured personnel but no knowledge, you obviously need to be at a really high level to get some knowledge.

i picked up knowledge of a county in fm09 when managing that nation or managing in that nation, but as you say it disappeared very quickly when i left.

i was talking about knowledge gained as a result of friendships.

I'm wondering if the 'knowledge through friendships' was disabled a while ago?

i'm just curious, has anyone managed to gain any knowledge of countries that they didn't start with?

All my knowledge bar that given by my Nationality English/NIrish disappeared after applying patch 9.3.0 on FM09 and it's not returned on FM2010 bar what you randomly get when managing a national side that then disappears rapidly when you leave :(

It's rather annoying as I quite liked trying to gain my manager random bits of knowledge and it was about the only reason I ever really used the manager interaction feature.

Well this is not good I'm only at August and my bank balance is now -£180K :( not helped by me paying out £75K on other expenses in July, which is half what I paid in the whole of last season - I really hope that is a one off otherwise I am in really trouble.

On the plus side I've just beaten Forest in the League Cup to hopefully set up an away tie against a Premiership side, as I only made £9K profit with the Forest game being at home :(

AI managers who were players and have retired since often seem to have knowledge from players.

Edit: my long serving spanish left back has made his international debut...... for Wales :D

In fact they have 1 italian and 2 other spanish players inc Fran Merida in the national squad.

Playing Bolton at Wembley!

Live update

9.28: a crazy shot from well outside from Bonni GOOOOOAL

12: terrible action from my GK saw Bolton scor on a corner Goal

28: RIDICOULESS shot from outside the area and terrible goalkeeping goal

36:NO WALL on freekick just outside area 3-1 bolton

Half Time 1-3 Bolton

60: Libertazzi scores 2-3

70: Bolton scores 2-4

2-5

Playoff final

I have HAD IT. for the second season in a row and for the 4th time overall i loose a playoff.

/o\ noooo! Unlucky kaNovi, that must be so infuriating!

Good job PhilJay :)

Edit: Urgh just got beaten away at Southend in the FA Cup. Was winning it 2-1 until the last 10 minutes, then conceded, went all out to get the winner and avoid a replay and they scored on the break :(

Well I nearly got my wish as Nantwich will make their Round Two debut in the League Cup playing away to Championship Bolton, lets hope that brings in some much needed money.

We have also just lost our only League Cup Record - we've held the lowest attendance record since 2012 when we played Blackburn at home and rather ironicaly it was a sellout game as we filled all 3,500 seats for just the second time after the BSP Playoff Semi-Final.

Well I nearly got my wish as Nantwich will make their Round Two debut in the League Cup playing away to Championship Bolton, lets hope that brings in some much needed money.

We have also just lost our only League Cup Record - we've held the lowest attendance record since 2012 when we played Blackburn at home and rather ironicaly it was a sellout game as we filled all 3,500 seats for just the second time after the BSP Playoff Semi-Final.

Good stuff, I remember a couple of good cup draws kept our finances going quite nicely back in the day :)

Or not just under 9,000 people turned up earning us about £70K which leaves us £120K in the red.

Ouch :( I got 60k in at Old Trafford once, earned us about £800k, and I had an earlier one against Sheff Weds (IIRC) which got us roughly £200k

Well the Paint trophy didn't go well - in the first half I lost two players to injury and Oldham had a player sent off, in the second we went 2-0 up and two more players got knocks and in the last 7 minutes Oldham scored twice to force pens, in the shootout we blasted our first two pens straight at their keeper enabling Oldham to win the shootout 4-1 :(

EDIT: And my two players are out for 5 months and 4 weeks :(

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Barclays Premier League - 2021/22

Last season we finished just outside the top half but with a young and talented squad I was confident of improving yet again.

League Table

League Positions Graph

I was expecting an improvement but nothing prepared me for this. We were looking good to challenge for the title but bottled it as we lost out in the run in towards the end of the season. Perhaps if we had a slightly bigger and more experienced squad we might have stood a chance of the title.

FA Cup - we finally won a semi final match at the third attempt but then suffered heartache in the final. It was a thriller of a match but our chances faded with the sending off and the injury meaning we played the second half of extra time with just nine men.

Carling Cup - not a particularly eventful competition as a weakened side got beaten by PL opposition.

Transfers - we already had a decent squad but the signing of de Vries really made a difference this season.

Squad - as the youngsters start to grow up this squad is only going to get better and better.

Key Player Profiles:

Michael Karner - he had a great season, top scoring for the club from midfield.

Dale Ellis - the three striker rotated a lot but Dale was probably the best of them.

Arie de Vries - he made such a difference, we really missed a player like him last season.

Anderson - speculation about his future is mounting and even though he had a good season I would be willing to sell should a good enough offer come in.

Nigel O'Loughlin - I forget just how young he still is, there's lots to come from him.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square South        5th         Promoted via playoffs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      8th
2012/13   Blue Square Premier      2nd         Promoted via playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2013/14   Coca-Cola League 2       6th         Lost in playoff final
2014/15   Coca-Cola League 2       1st         Promoted as champions
2015/16   Coca-Cola League 1       4th         Promoted via playoffs, JPT finalists
2016/17   Coca-Cola Championship   9th
2017/18   Coca-Cola Championship   6th         Lost in playoff semi
2018/19   Coca-Cola Championship   4th         Promoted via playoffs
2019/20   Barclays Premier League  16th        
2020/21   Barclays Premier League  11th
2021/22   Barclays Premier League  3rd         FA Cup finalists

Next Season

The cup final loss hurt as it meant we had now reached the final and lost in three different competitions. Obviously the Champions League will be the big interest next season but I'm just hoping that I can qualify for it again for the next season.

Great season dafuge, it'll be the title next season I reckon

Unlucky Michael, things aren't going your way at the minute!

Got a big season to update this time round, just playing the final few games - they're very exciting :D

Things are actually going well in the league as after 6 games we are top of the league :eek: though as I type that I've now lost Eikrem for a month and my onloan striker has left as he's also picked up an injury that ruled him out for the rest of his loan :(

Season 17 - SnakeXe's Merthyr Tydfil

Well as it's a very exciting season, we'll have a slightly different format so as not to give the game away before you've read it ;)

Setting the Scene

As January commenced, we were looking good - top of the league with a nice cushion, in the League Cup Semi Final against a poor Ipswich side, and through to the Champions League knockout round having won our group (a group including FC Bayern, Sevilla and PSV).

So naturally we started it with a 2-3 defeat away at Championship Stockport in the FA Cup 3rd Round /o\ we did, however, keep up the ante in the league and successfully negotiated our way to a League Cup Final against Liverpool. Which we won - on penalties :)

The Champions League Gets Serious

With Lyon in the 1st Knockout Round, I was anticipating a struggle, but an amazing display in the away leg gave us a 5-1 lead. This gave us the opportunity to rest some tired legs in the home leg, and a 1-1 draw sent us through 6-2 on aggregate.

Next up - another French side, and conquerors of Aston Villa, Marseille. We faced the home leg first, and I was hopeful of a repeat demolition as they didn't seem to have any more about them than Lyon did. We stormed into a 4-0 half-time lead with a brace from Paul Craig, along with goals from Massimo Bartolini and Jose Manuel Moran and everything was looking rosy. Unfortunately a second-half collapse/fight-back left the tie very close at 4-3. The second leg had a lot to live up to as a spectacle - and it didn't, with another 7 goal thriller! Thankfully it went our way again, as we progressed 8-6 on aggregate.

Crunch Time

With the season in its home stretch, we faced big challenges at home and abroad. Well, perhaps not at home, as we had a sizeable lead and a favourable run in at the top of the Premier League - and it was no surprise when we clinched the title with a 3-0 win away at Burnley! Domestic double for the Martyrs - could we make it a treble?

Juventus - who had claimed the last two Champions League titles - stood in the way of that, and things looked bad when we went in 2-0 down at half time in Turin. A second half fight-back through Moran and summer signing Tommy Fraser (European Championships Best Player Award Winner and all) made things look a lot better, but disaster struck as we conceded a late winner.

I was anticipating a tough match back at Penydarren Park - and in all honesty not expecting to win through. A bright start was ruined by Andy Meara (we had him on loan back when he was rubbish) putting Juventus in the lead on the night and making it 4-2 on aggregate, but we continued to press and our reward was sure to come...

And sure enough - it did! Tommy Fraser was the architect, smashing home twice and dominating the midfield to give us a 3-1 win on the night and 5-4 on aggregate!!

The Final

We had the perfect team in the final - Europe's most successful ever club side, Real Madrid. And in preparation, we had 3 dead-rubber Premier League games. We had to balance the need to rest and avoid injuries with the need to maintain morale, a winning ethic, and match fitness. In the end, I decided to play the first team for Southampton (H) and West Ham (A), and then the reserves for Liverpool (A). This policy worked out fairly well, beating the Saints 2-1, drawing 0-0 against West Ham, and our reserves battled to a manful 2-1 win over Liverpool in the final game.

All this meant we were in peak physical and mental condition for the biggest match of our careers. I decided to go with our standard approach, hoping that familiarity with the system would make us play well.

And to be honest, I thought about trying to make it sound close run and everything, but there's no other way to put it really...

WE WALLOPED THEM 5-0!!!!!!!!!

Challenge well and truly complete :):thup: thanks to dafuge for creating the challenge, and everyone on the thread for keeping me entertained and supported through this (especially kaNovi)

Premier League - 1st, Champions (Table)

Champions League - Winners

FA Cup - 3rd Round (lost v Stockport)

League Cup - Winners

Transfers

The Manager

Stats

The Team

GK - Paulinho

DR - Javier Castro ©

DL - Christos Papadimitriou

DC - Abiodun Ekpo

DC - Ralf Hammer

MR - Massimo Bartolini

ML - Wiljan de Laat

MC - Mehmet Uyar

MC - Tommy Fraser

FC - Paul Craig

FC - Jose Manuel Moran

The Club

Info

Facilities

Records 1/Records 2

Best XI

Season    League                  Position  Achievements                  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square South       1st       Blue Square South Champions, Promoted
2011/12   Blue Square Premier     1st       Blue Square Premier Champions, Promoted
2012/13   Coca-Cola League Two    4th       Play-Off Winners, Promoted
2013/14   Coca-Cola League One    6th       Play-Off Semi-Finalists
2014/15   Coca-Cola League One    4th       Play-Off Semi-Finalists
2015/16   Coca-Cola League One    17th      Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners
2016/17   Coca-Cola League One    2nd       Promoted
2017/18   Coca-Cola Championship  18th      None
2018/19   Coca-Cola Championship  21st      None
2019/20   Coca-Cola Championship  9th       None
2020/21   Coca-Cola Championship  6th       Play-Off Winners, Promoted
2021/22   Premier League          13th      None
2022/23   Premier League          14th      None
2023/24   Premier League          9th       None
2024/25   Premier League          4th       League Cup Runners Up
2025/26   Premier League          1st       Premier League Champions
[b]2026/27   Premier League          1st       Premier League Champions, Champions League Winners, League Cup Winners[/b]

Previous Season Reports:

Season 1 - 2010/11

Season 2 - 2011/12

Season 3 - 2012/13

Season 4 - 2013/14

Season 5 - 2014/15

Season 6 - 2015/16

Season 7 - 2016/17

Season 8 - 2017/18

Season 9 - 2018/19

Season 10 - 2019/20

Season 11 - 2020/21

Season 12 - 2021/22

Season 13 - 2022/23

Season 14 - 2023/24

Season 15 - 2024/25

Season 16 - 2025/26

2015/16 - Hendon - BSP

I honestly thought we could challenge for promotion this season and in order to do that, changes had to be made. I flogged fan favourite yet our constantly injured ST Craigh McShea to Neath for £35,000. I wasn't a popular figure amongst the fans but I made some decent signings to cover it if I do say so myself..

Media Prediction: 15th

League Finish: 5th (promoted via play-offs)

League Graph

A massively tense finish which saw us slip up to 6th place Accrington on the last day; thankfully our massive GD was enough too see us through.

Playoff Semi Final Leg 1

Playoff Semi Final Leg 2

Playoff Final

As usual, we made it difficult for ourselves and scraped our through to League 2 \o/.

FA Trophy

FA Cup

Transfers

Squad

Key Players

Luciano Becchio - This years big man up front was truly sensational, 40 goals was an absolute sublime contribution from the Argentinian striker.

Stephan El Shaarawy - A later inclusion to the squad but thank god he did arrive as he contributed 7 goals and an amazing 19 assists on the right.

Matty Reid - Matty was excellent down the right defensively; he did what was asked of him. His only goal was a 35 yard screamer in the playoff final against Cambridge.

Luca Santonocito - Another great season from the Italian as he dominated the centre of midfield. 19 assists was a magnificent contribution.

Danijel Subotic - It wouldn't be key players with Subo would it? Played off Becchio and was a constant thorn in the side of the defence.

Career Overview

Season      League                   Position        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11    Blue Square North          1st            BSN Champions
2011/12    Blue Square Premier       23rd             Relegated
2012/13    Blue Square North          1st            BSN Champions
2013/14    Blue Square Premier       15th               None
2014/15    Blue Square Premier        9th                None
2015/16    Blue Square Premier        5th         Promoted through playoffs

Cambridge City 19/20

Table

Graph

Season Review: Been MIA for a bit due to a crazy couple months of the real world but back and better than ever with another season. It took me ages to get through this season, every time I would sit down to play by the time I loaded the game I was saving and closing it down again...But we stayed up even though it looked very sketchy at times, we hit a real good run once I could focus and fix the goal leaks, after that all it took was a couple lucky results and we are good to go.

FA Cup

Carling Cup

Cup Review: Honestly I don't even remember...nothing to write home about anyway.

Transfers

Squad

Finances

Season        Division            Position                 Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11       BSN                 1st                           Promotion
2011/12       BSP                 13th				
2012/13       BSP                 1st                     Promotion/FA T Winner
2013/14       L2                  13th                      4th Round FA Cup
2014/15       L2                  4th            Simifinal Playoffs/ 4th Round FA Cup
2015/16       L2                  1st                  Promotion/Paint Trophy Winners
2016/17       L2                  1st                  Promotion/Paint Trophy Winners
2017/18       C                   7th                       
2018/19       C                   2nd                             Promotion
2019/20      EPL                  15th

Next Season: New DM and DC and a maybe a super striker.

Well done, SnakeXe. It really came together for you in the end.

I'm having a bit of an interesting season myself, not completing it of course, but in the FA Cup Final and Europa League Semi's. I'll take a plastic double, thank you very much.

2019/2020 - Billericay Town - Barclay's Premier League

League Position - 4th

TABLE

GRAPH

In many ways, it was a transition season at New Lodge, as much of the first half of the season was devoted to unloading fringe players before they got too expensive. We made money hand over fist, which in addition to the usual cheap and free youngsters, was spent on a couple players of real quality. In particular, the addition of Marquinhos to the AMC role was critical to our success.

The other transition was tactically. After a fairly dire first half when we were drawing left right and centre, and were unable to stay in the Champions League, I decided to go to a more attacking formation. The results were pretty convincing. We started scoring in quantities never before seen at New Lodge, but we also were shipping goals in a way we never had before. Still, more oft than not we scored more than we conceded, and we were able to use that momentum to a run in both cups we were still entered in. The FA cup, we made the final based on what had to be the easiest draw I've ever seen, including League One Luton in the Semi; The Europa League we had some good results against some good sides. In both cases, Chelsea, our perennial patsy was the opposition, first in the Europa League at Camp Nou, to be followed three days later in the FA Cup at Wembley.

The Europa League match was, well, dire. We never looked like scoring, but fortunately never did they, and when Marquinhos stroked home the 5th straight penalty for Ricay, we had our first ever silverware, and were champions of... the also-rans!

Ricay 0-0 Chelsea, Ricay win 5-3 on penalties

Europa League results

Three days later our star striker was suspended due to a rash red received in the 2nd to last league came, but we scored early through a header from centreback Castro. The lead was doubled on 54 when the Bulgarian Damyanov tapped in after good work from Cleiton. Chelsea pulled one back on 85 through Guiseppe Rossi, but we held on for the FA Cup!

Plastic Double

Ricay 2-1 Chelsea

FA cup results

League Cup

Champions League Group Stage

UCL results

As stated, I pimped out fringers and expiring contracts all over the place, en route to a 20 million pound profit in the transfer market. If this doesn't get me a youth academy I may just shoot my chairman.

TRANSFERS

FINANCES

Highlights of the squad this season:

Manuel Rodríguez Sánchez - Rodríguez Sánchez still gets shown because he's been a loyal servant, but I'd say there's a reasonable chance I'll be selling him off soon. While he's been quite solid, he's prone to some horrible lapses as well, and with the higher level of expectation at the club, that's beginning to get a bit dangerous.

Lasse Ikäheimo - The Finnish starlet came into his own after the tactic change, becoming Ricay's first 20+ goal scorer in ages. While he's no doubt my finest ever buy, he's also maddeningly inconsistent

Hans Blom - In his game of one-upsmanship with fell world-class midfielder Pickering, Dutchman Blom was the clear winner this season.

David Castro - The Spaniard has been with us a while now, and if he could stay healthy he might actually get into the Spain side with regularity. The only one of my defenders I'm sure to keep.

Marquinhos - The Brazillian is one of a select few non-regens in my side, and his purchase was an important infusion of quality, even if he was a bit injury prone.

There is another batch of youngsters pressuring the established members of the side, particularly Cleiton and Patrick Grim, a Brazillian and Dutch striking duo who would be unbelievable if they had just a bit more pace. Cleiton in particular does the business off the bench pretty regularly at the tender age of 19. There are also a pair of high potential centre-halves in the reserves. What we really need is a solid DM to push Victor Vega, who's been with the club quite a while now.

Anyway, I think we're two years away from a serious challenge at completing this challenge, but now at least, I can see where that can happen.

Billericay Town

2010/2011 - Blue Square South - 2nd, playoffs - promoted; FA Cup - 3rd qualifying round; FA Trophy - 3rd qualifying round

2011/2012 - Blue Square Premier - 2nd, playoffs - promoted; FA Cup - 2nd round; FA Trophy - Final

2012/2013 - Coca-Cola League Two - 3rd, automatic promotion; FA Cup - 2nd round; League Cup - 1st round; Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 1st round

2013/2014 - Coca-Cola League One - 12th; FA Cup - 3rd round; League Cup - 2nd round; Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2nd round

2014/2015 - Coca-Cola League One - 3rd, playoffs - promoted; FA Cup - 4th round; League Cup - 2nd round; Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2nd round

2015/2016 - Coca-Cola Championship - 10th; FA Cup 6th round; League Cup - 2nd round

2016/2017 - Coca-Cola Championship - 6th, promoted via playoffs; FA Cup - 3rd round; League Cup - 1st round

2017/2018 - Barclay's Premier League - 16th; FA Cup - Semi Final; League Cup - 2nd round

2018/2019 - Barclay's Premier League - 2nd; FA Cup - 4th round; League Cup - Semi Final

2019/2020 - Barclay's Premier League - 4th; Champions League - 3rd place in Group Stage; Europa League - Winners; FA Cup - Winners; League Cup - 3rd round

Its not that bad is it daf ? ill reckon you take 2nd place ;-)

CHL footy seems like fantasy for my squad as we play bad, once again, at the start of this season.

I think i might keep the game on hold for the next week as i have exams all week. Hopefully i will see my squad different and begin to win games

edit: whoops forgot to post my season update

i hate playing Bolton and Wigan away in the cups, tough to beat but with nobody watching, i had 7500 turn up in an 3rd Rd fa cup match when i was L1 and Bolton in the championship, only 4500 turned up in the replay at my ground.

Not much of a money spinner :(

Kingstonian (2020/2021)

Championship Prediction - 8

Championship Position - 5

Table

Graph

Summary

Terrible start of the season, good midseason, terrible end of the season. I made it to playoffs but as usual i lost Playoff Final

Squad

Alvarez Was back again this year after his injurie and picked up where he left off taking back CH Top goalscorer award

Libertazzi

Sousa His 5th season for the club

Transfers

Goals for the upcoming season:

It would be great fun to lose another playoff!

League                Season    Finished   Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------
Blue Square South     2010/11   4th       Playoff Final losers
Blue Square South     2011/12   1st       Blue Square South Champions
Blue Square Premier   2012/13   5th       Playoff semi-final losers 
Blue Square Premier   2013/14   1st       Blue Square Premier Champions
League Two            2014/15   2nd       JPT Winners, Promotion
League One            2015/16   13th      none
League One	      2016/17   2nd	  Promotion
Championship	      2017/18   14th	  none
Championship	      2018/19   12th	  none
Championship	      2019/20   5th	  Playoff semi-final losers
Championship	      2020/21   5th	  Playoff final losers

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I may carry on this save for a bit and then start a new challenge when 10.2 comes out. dafuge, would you mind if I continued posting updates in here or would you prefer me to start a thread in the Career Updates forum?

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I may carry on this save for a bit and then start a new challenge when 10.2 comes out. dafuge, would you mind if I continued posting updates in here or would you prefer me to start a thread in the Career Updates forum?

Are you still playing with the same club within the rules of the challenge?

I have not managed (or even really tried / played long enough) to gain knowledge through friendships since FM08 but I definitely did gain knowledge back then but praising another manager.

In FM10 however, one of my staff (Mel Gwinnet) has knowledge through friendship of another person (Northampton Manager Paul Tisdale) as you can see here.

Archived